John Idzik is having the last laugh

Kleckineau

Somewhere last night John Idzik was probably smoking a cuban and enjoying some Courvoisier.

He has to feel vindicated that all the blame heaped on him for the recent systemic failures of the NYJ organization  turned out to be a cruel joke.

A cruel joke not only for him but also for the loyal fan base who now have to suffer again for who knows how many more years with the current regime.

Todd Bowles who has to be most clueless in game manager in the NFL in recent memory. We can only hope and pray he pulls a Bobby Petrino and leaves a note on the wall saying he has resigned.

Maccagnan who on the other hand seems nothing more than extension of Idzik. Who has he drafted other than Williams (who literally fell onto his lap) that has  played to his high draft position?

Hackenberg and Lee were rediculous picks. Hack may never see an NFL field and speedy little Lee may not survive it. Would it have been smarter to package these picks with maybe another pick if needed and trade up for a QB?

Mauldin is meh, Devin Smith sucks and we now have to pray 4th round project QB Bryce Petty is going to be the saviour? HA!

Which brings me to this. Lets assume Petty has some talent. Who can argue that even if he is talented the current offensive scheme doesnt just flat out suck, is predictable, has no run game to keep defenses honest, doesnt change from week to week? Would any young QB succed here? Wouldnt this lead one to believe decent defenses are just gonna kill this guy?

So here are the Jets sitiing last in the AFCE and again here come the pitchfork and torch carriers to the Jets door looking for heads on a stick. Some things never change.

Roger Goodell should hire Korn Ferry to find the next owner of the team

10 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Somewhere last night John Idzik was probably smoking a cuban and enjoying some Courvoisier.

He has to feel vindicated that all the blame heaped on him for the recent systemic failures of the NYJ organization  turned out to be a cruel joke.

A cruel joke not only for him but also for the loyal fan base who now have to suffer again for who knows how many more years with the current regime.

Todd Bowles who has to be most clueless in game manager in the NFL in recent memory. We can only hope and pray he pulls a Bobby Petrino and leaves a note on the wall saying he has resigned.

Maccagnan who on the other hand seems nothing more than extension of Idzik. Who has he drafted other than Williams (who literally fell onto his lap) that has  played to his high draft position?

Hackenberg and Lee were rediculous picks. Hack may never see an NFL field and speedy little Lee may not survive it. Would it have been smarter to package these picks with maybe another pick if needed and trade up for a QB?

Mauldin is meh, Devin Smith sucks and we now have to pray 4th round project QB Bryce Petty is going to be the saviour? HA!

Which brings me to this. Lets assume Petty has some talent. Who can argue that even if he is talented the current offensive scheme doesnt just flat out suck, is predictable, has no run game to keep defenses honest, doesnt change from week to week? Would any young QB succed here? Wouldnt this lead one to believe decent defenses are just gonna kill this guy?

So here are the Jets sitiing last in the AFCE and again here come the pitchfork and torch carriers to the Jets door looking for heads on a stick. Some things never change.

Ah yes the Idzik defenders crawl out of their holes with what to show? Oh yea his 4-12 and 8-8 seasons. Back to your holes

1 hour ago, August said:

Too soon to judge him whether bad or good. You can't rebuild like he wanted to in NY and he saw it firsthand. Fans and media are too impatient. 

I believe this 100 hundred percent. I'm not saying we should have kept him but he had a plan and he was trying to follow that plan but that can't be done in new york. Because of that situation mac spent huge to make this team competitive as to not make the same mistake, he caught lightning in a bottle one year but now we're here stuck in this situation.  

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

WRONG.

Lee has played well. Jenkins is growing. Peake is tough.

Maccagnan is 100% better than John IDzik, who is on a Jaguars team that might be the most disappointing team in football

16 minutes ago, jett said:

I believe this 100 hundred percent. I'm not saying we should have kept him but he had a plan and he was trying to follow that plan but that can't be done in new york. Because of that situation mac spent huge to make this team competitive as to not make the same mistake, he caught lightning in a bottle one year but now we're here stuck in this situation.  

Regardless of how you felt about his roster management rebuilding takes time. You're going to make mistakes, some moves pan out while others don't but you learn from your mistakes until you get it right. 2 years is not adequate time to give someone to turn a team around. 

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Yeah, He was a babbling fool that destroyed what talent this team had; had the worst draft in Jets history (which says a lot), got fired after 2 years (was surprised he wasn't let go half way through the season) and will never be given another chance to run a team - yep - he is laughing all the way to ?

Let's not forget he is now on a team that has superman as the QB with the same record as the Jets.

This turnaround is taking way more time than I would have hoped, but we are at least adding some young talent that is starting to mature and adding much needed depth (that even the Tanny winning teams didn't have). Sadly, even if Petty or Hack turn out, I think next year still sucks. Hopefully we will play better and with more appropriate expectations will enjoy the season, but I am not sure if we can do enough in one more off season to build a winner.

If neither Petty nor hack work out (and we have to spend a high draft pick at QB) and/or they need to replace Bowles it will take even longer.

Just now, dbatesman said:

Idzik was clueless on the execution, but at least he had the right idea. Maccagnan is more like an extension of Tannenbaum, which is clearly what Woody wants from a GM.

Macc makes smarter trades than Tanny. Tanny would give up 2 picks for one player. Macc makes sure he gets a pick back.

2 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Yeah, He was a babbling fool that destroyed what talent this team had; had the worst draft in Jets history (which says a lot), got fired after 2 years (was surprised he wasn't let go half way through the season) and will never be given another chance to run a team - yep - he is laughing all the way to ?

I would love to hear a rational, evidence-based argument that Maccagnan's drafts have been better than Idzik's.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I would love to hear a rational, evidence-based argument that Maccagnan's drafts have been better than Idzik's.

The fact that Maccagnans 7th round draft picks are playing well for this team right now. Lachlan Edwards and Charone Peake

The fact that Maccagnan's 1st round rookies are having more of an impact in the field than Idziks, and that includes a top ten pick for both GMs

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

The fact that Maccagnans 7th round draft picks are playing well for this team right now. Lachlan Edwards and Charone Peake

The fact that Maccagnan's 1st round rookies are having more of an impact in the field than Idziks, and that includes a top ten pick for both GMs

Damn, you got me there. WhoFans, thank's

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

hear you go... hard to analyze Macc as his drafts are too new to know, but clearly, out drafting Idzik. Also remember, that each's first draft was with another organization's scouts - so second draft should be a better reflection of his FO. And, this doesn't take into consideration the UDFA added.

Lee - good (starter has played well - about the same size as Vilma - a little lighter 

Hack - not crazy about picking him this high, but if he turns out to be our starter in a couple of years it will be a good pick

Jenkins - good - clearly better than most OLBs on the team

Burris - good - made the team as 4th round pick; beat out a former 1st (injured a lot) and 3rd (injured a lot) - get playing time

Shell - okay - he made the team as a 5th, that would normally be a good, but is he here because he is good or we have no depth at OL

Edwards - good - best punter we have had for a while (granted not saying much) - great to pick up a ‘starter’ in the 6th - not a great game last night, however

Peake - good - when you make the team as a 7th round pick it is good; making the team when we have this much depth at WR is even better

Williams - good/great - this kid can be special soon

Smith - bad - i normally would say good for a 2nd round pick playing, but he is hurt this year and considering the depth will either not make the team or be sitting behind a 6th, 7th, and UDFA - waste of 2nd

Maulden - okay - against Coples and Pace (good at edge but old and slow) last year he showed some flashes; but he slips down the depth chart this year; expect a starter or major player for 3rd

Petty - good - too early to tell, but he is likely going to either be our starter or our backup QB next year - pretty good for a 4th; 

Harrison - bad - couldn’t make the team that has no depth at OL

Deon Simon - good - again when you make the team as a 7th you are good; with this team’s depth at DL it is even better (granted he plays DT)

Pryor - okay/good - he is a starter in his 3rd year, but for a first you would expect/want more than just a starter; considering how some previous #1 did, he is closer to good, but I question drafting a SS in the first.

Amaro - bad - played okay as rookie; hurt next year; off team now; he couldn’t make a spot on a team with crap for TE; tried to be an H-back type and lost to a 6th round pick with better hands and better blocking

McDougle - bad - 3 years in he only makes the practice squad on a team hurting for CBs; lost out to this year’s 4th round pick - should get more out of 3rd

Jalen Saunders - bad - 6 teams in 2 years; not resigned at end of last year - 10 game suspension looming on return - even a 4th round pick should do better than that

Shaquille Evans - bad - 2 teams, released by Jaguars before start of the season and then dropped from practice squad; miles better than Saunders, but still not a good pick

Dozier - okay - made the team as a 4th - again is this because he is good, or the OL depth is bad?

George - bad/okay - on practice squad for Dallas - not good, close to bad, but 5th rounder still in the league - okay maybe grading on a curve for this draft?

Dixon - bad/okay - 4 teams in 3 years; couldn’t make a team with needs at CB - not unsurprising for a 6th

Enunwa - good/great - #3 WR on the jets behind 2 very good WRs (and ahead of some promising WRs); good blocking; good hands; hard to bring down; getting picked in the 6th moves this from a good to great pick

IK - eh - 6ht rounder still in the league is - his only claim to fame is knocking Geno out of starting - literally

Boyd - bad - should never have been drafted; out of the league (including canadian)

Reilly - okay - not in league - played a few years for us on ST; not a bad pick for the 7th

this draft hurts half the picks aren’t in the NFL any more; 1 starter, 1 other on team, 1 on practice squad and 2 on other teams; you expect more with 12 picks…

Milliner - bad - to high up to be off team; had injury history in college - waste of #1 pick

Richardson - good - has off field issues (before draft too), doesn’t play up to potential - should be just okay for a #1, but hopefully he grows up - is very athletic - even played OLB and RB for us - moves him back to good

Smith - no comment 

Winters - good - normally you would say that is great that a 3rd rounder is still on the team and is starting; the lack of depth on OL makes wonder if he is that good

Aboushi - okay - a 5th rounder still in the league in his 4th season is pretty good - then again he couldn’t make the Jets team with terrible depth at OL - now with college coach at Texans

Campbell - okay - can’t complain about a 6th rounder not making it; had a shot a 4 teams but is now not playing for any  - was probably worth a shot

Bohanan - bad - he was a good player for us, but FB are floating around all of the time; could most likely have gotten him as UDFA - like Mac did with Howsare - who beat out Bohanan - good player - wasted pick

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Idzik picked Sheldon who won DROTY which Mac pick won that.. I hate Idzik but facts are facts..

I really don't understand all the Macc hate. He is by far better than Idzik. 

2015 Draft: Leonard Williams - Great pick; Devin Smith - tore his ACL, too soon to tell; Lorenzo Mauldin - okay but at least he gets on the field; Bryce Petty - ?, if he can be a backup QB or better this is a good pick; Jarvis Harrison - Bad pick; Deon Simon - ? but staff seems to like him

2016 Draft: Darron Lee - good pick (leads team/rookie lb's in tackles); Christian Hackenberg - have to give him bad pick as of now; Jordan Jenkins - ? so far little impact but was seen as starter right away; Justin Burris - okay pick, can't expect 4th rd CB's to contribute right away; Brandon Shell - seems like bad pick; Lachlan Edwards - good pick (unless he continues like last night); Charone Peake - good pick, I've liked what I've seen from him thus far. UDFA - J. Marshall - I think he could put things together late this season/next; Robbie Anderson - wish PS success tied over to regular season but he has made some plays. 

So all together - 1 Great pick, 3 Good picks, 4 ?/too soon to tells, 2 Okay picks, 3 Bad picks. That's not too shabby in 2 drafts, especially if some of those ?'s move into good/great picks moving forward. Other than Hackenberg, 2/3 of his bad picks came in the later rounds where it is okay to make those mistakes, and I think he makes up for those with a couple nice UDFA pickups. 

Unlike Tanny, when he trades for a player, they have been on the relative cheap. He also doesn't lock them up long term, making bad situations worse (again a la Tanny). I think he has done the best job he could balancing infusing new talent into the roster while trying to remain competitive. Like others have mentioned, I'm sure he saw the way Idzik was treated when he was doing a complete rebuild. Idzik's problem was he didn't hit on enough draft picks to make up for the lack of success in Free Agency. 

16 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

hear you go... hard to analyze Macc as his drafts are too new to know, but clearly, out drafting Idzik. Also remember, that each's first draft was with another organization's scouts - so second draft should be a better reflection of his FO. And, this doesn't take into consideration the UDFA added.

He said rational and evidence-based. This is word vomit and adjective-based. On balance they're both shades of meh. Plenty to dislike on both sides, all of which you eschew in favor of giving each pick a vague rating and then write a bunch of gibberish to rationalize it.

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

He said rational and evidence-based. This is word vomit and adjective-based. On balance they're both shades of meh. Plenty to dislike on both sides, all of which you eschew in favor of giving each pick a vague rating and then write a bunch of gibberish to rationalize it.

Yeah, vomit - very mature.

There is plenty of evidence you can ignore my commentary, but the picks are the picks. Most of Idzik's picks are no longer on the team; many are no longer in the NFL. To be out of the NFL in a few years are not good picks. Sure you can use some other 'analysis' to determine value, and it is too early to tell how the Mac drafts will pan out, but if you can look at both drafts and call them similar than - go ahead and eschew your own gibberish.

I took the time to research the drafts and where the players are; now put you time where you clever mouth is and do you own analysis. Show us all how smart you are.

Nobody in the NFL hits on 100%. Mac has done a fair job of drafting in comparison to a guy that has most of his pick out of the NFL; 7 picks then 12 picks and not much to show for it.

Here is the deal, we had almost 4,000 posts here yesterday. So when people fight we are going to be more aggressive in just locking threads. If the fighting continues we will have to just clean things up other ways. But there is no reason for fighting.

Archived