Fitz to be benched???

hawk

Not sure who this clown is, or if this has been posted.

After that Bowles call, sure sounds like Fitz is FAR from a guarantee to start vs. BAL. Big staff meeting coming up now in FloP.

Bowles says, in general, there could be personnel changes after talking with staff tonight. That includes the QB position.

Then there is this...

Might we see Hack/Petty? Bowles said "it's definitely possible." Adds: "We've still got some stages to go before we get to that point."

If this is referring to the Michael Kay interview all Bowles said was, when asked if Fitzy was to be benched due to lack of offensive production, that he had to talk with his coaches and evaluate. 

So all he did was leave the door open for #14 to be benched but that it would not be HIS arbitrary decision alone. Kay speculated, like the usual jackass that he is, and GROSSLY over exaggerated Bowles' words. 

True to Bowles' style - EVERYONE is under review

22 minutes ago, hawk said:

Not sure who this clown is, or if this has been posted.

After that Bowles call, sure sounds like Fitz is FAR from a guarantee to start vs. BAL. Big staff meeting coming up now in FloP.

Bowles says, in general, there could be personnel changes after talking with staff tonight. That includes the QB position.

Then there is this...

Might we see Hack/Petty? Bowles said "it's definitely possible." Adds: "We've still got some stages to go before we get to that point."

C-Lo is far from a clown.  One of the better reporters we have covering this team actually.  Really good guy on a personal level too.  Usually right when he says something.  If he feels like somethings up I'm inclined to believe him.  Kim is a good writer but I don't agree with her on a lot of off-topic issues.  There some things that she chimes in on a little too often for my taste that I think are better being kept away from the Jets beat.

Sounds like someone brought up starting the younger guys sooner rather than later and we're getting closer to it actually happening.  We'll see what a full staff meeting brings.  Wouldn't shock me at all, to be honest.  Bowles sounded like he really didn't want to throw Geno in and if Petty were active, he would have gotten the nod instead.  Geno turning the ball over twice in the span of 3 plays probably reaffirmed that.  

Probably don't want to make Petty's first live start against the Pats either so get the jitterbugs out now instead.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-starting-qb-position-grabs-coach-backtracks-article-1.2835660

Jets starting quarterback position could be up for grabs as Todd Bowles backtracks on Ryan Fitzpatrick comment

The New York Jets starting quarterback job is back up in the air.

Immediately after Gang Green's brutal 28-3 loss to the Cardinals on Monday, Todd Bowles said Ryan Fitzpatrick would remain the team's starter. But on Tuesday the coach said he revisited the decision and that there may or may not be a change at quarterback and that he wouldn't reveal his decision until Wednesday.

"First of all, after the game it's always going to be status quo because I'm never going to tell the media anything before I meet with my coaches and my GM and the rest of the staff," Bowles said. "So everything's status quo until we have our meeting on Monday evening."

So is it possible that after the meeting with the staff that Geno Smith will be starter?

This former Jet says it's time for Geno to start, not Fitzpatrick

"Well we're going to talk about more than that, but there's a possibility every week that they'll be some changes made players-wise," Bowles said.

When asked if he revisited the decision, the coach said, "I did, and when I discuss it with the staff, and when they know, everybody else will know. If I decide to make a move, (you'll) know tomorrow."

Smith came on in relief for Fitzpatrick late in Monday's loss, which dropped the Jets to 1-5 on the season.

56 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Thought these Todd Bowles comments on Geno Smith were very telling...

It's really amazing how much of a douche nozzle Geno really is.  I remember his rookie year how quiet he was.  How vets like Colon, Pace, Mangold, said that they loved him and made comments about how he seems like he is all about business. Then year 2 he just comes off like a total b*tch.  Now, in years 3-4, he finds a way to make himself seem worse without even getting on the field.  I like these comments from Todd and they should really help people understand why he has been so reluctant to pull Fitz without Petty.

5 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

If this is referring to the Michael Kay interview all Bowles said was, when asked if Fitzy was to be benched due to lack of offensive production, that he had to talk with his coaches and evaluate. 

So all he did was leave the door open for #14 to be benched but that it would not be HIS arbitrary decision alone. Kay speculated, like the usual jackass that he is, and GROSSLY over exaggerated Bowles' words. 

True to Bowles' style - EVERYONE is under review

Whaaat? Since when has that been his style? Bowles is the real idiot here and don't mistake that. Had that been his style, we would've seen numerous changes in the NYJ lineups. We haven't seen a single significant change this entire year. Not one. 

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I see she also changed her pic from her and Geno to this current one. Also, if this is from the interview of Bowles that I heard I don't this that these were his exact words. Could be wrong, I was on the road driving while listening to the podcast.

2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Whaaat? Since when has that been his style? Bowles is the real idiot here and don't mistake that. Had that been his style, we would've seen numerous changes in the NYJ lineups. We haven't seen a single significant change this entire year. Not one. 

I realized I phrased it improperly - Bowles' usually saying is that "EVERY" position is under review and if a player demonstrated better in practice then he'll play on Sunday. His style is similar to Parcels in NOT praising anyone and leaving the door open for a player to be demoted - DOES HE ACTUALLY DO IT? That's another question and conversation for another day. 

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

C-Lo is far from a clown.  One of the better reporters we have covering this team actually.  Really good guy on a personal level too.  Usually right when he says something.  If he feels like somethings up I'm inclined to believe him.  Kim is a good writer but I don't agree with her on a lot of off topic issues.  Something she does a little too often for my taste.

Sounds like someone brought up starting the younger guys sooner rather than later and we're getting closer to it actually being reality.  We'll see what a full staff meeting brings.  Wouldn't shock me at all, to be honest.  Bowles sounded like he really didn't want to throw Geno in and if Petty were active, he would have gotten the nod instead.  Geno turning the ball over twice in the span of 3 plays probably reaffirmed that.  

Curious to know how you figured that out. Also curious to find out what happens on a 4th and 11 play on about 95% of the occasions. Also curious to know your answer to where you throw to if all your passing options are covered. Three questions. Please answer them. We'll get to the Chiefs game later on.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Probably don't want to make Petty's first live start against the Pats either so get the jitterbugs out now instead.

Love the excuses Geno haters are hustling to make up. 

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think the QB situation won't be the only change. Think you might see Dozier getting some time on O line, and Burris starting opposite Revis, with Skrine  strictly nickle.

I really feel that Burris should be the #2 CB and POSSIBLY #!1 going into 2017. I believe he'll develop to be THAT good. He's been a 4 year starting Press Corner in the ACC, not SUPER fast quick twitch, but he'll be a steal as a CB with good technique and instincts. 

37 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I realized I phrased it improperly - Bowles' usually saying is that "EVERY" position is under review and if a player demonstrated better in practice then he'll play on Sunday. His style is similar to Parcels in NOT praising anyone and leaving the door open for a player to be demoted - DOES HE ACTUALLY DO IT? That's another question and conversation for another day. 

Well not really.  If his quotes are correct, it sounds like he's been stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Wants to make a change, doesn't have the guy he wants to turn to.  Those comments on Geno, coupled with the fact that he already chose to start Fitz over Geno but hasn't turned down the idea of Petty, tell me that the coaches want nothing to do with the current #2 and if it wasn't for Petty being injured, a change would have been made a long time ago.

The last quote is the one that bothers me the most. The season is over. If there was a reason to keep Smith as the #2 - presumably to have an experienced backup should Fitz get knocked out while we're still realistically + mathematically in it - that time has passed.

There are 2 QBs that aren't going to be the team's starter in 2017. I have no interest in seeing either of them on the field for 1 minute longer than necessary. Sounds like Bowles is going to be strictly adhering to his late-August depth chart. As in, Fitz > Geno > Petty. Attn, Todd: times change, man. This isn't August anymore. You may not like it, but the best interest of the team is finding out what pieces are useful for the future, not which pieces you believe will get us closer to a 7-9 finish instead of worse.

My problem with it is I don't know how long of a leash he'll have on Geno, and the concern is it will be a long one. This was the one thing I didn't want to see happen from the offseason: we don't make the playoffs and don't get a decent look at a QB on the 2016 roster that will be on the 2017 roster. It seems we are headed right down this path.

2 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:
1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Well not really.  If his quotes are correct, it sounds like he's been stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Wants to make a change, doesn't have the guy he wants to turn to.  Those comments on Geno, coupled with the fact that he already chose to start Fitz over Geno but hasn't turned down the idea of Petty, tell me that the coaches want nothing to do with the current #2 and if it wasn't for Petty being injured, a change would have been. Made a long time ago.

I think you are right on here.

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Ah, yes. In that case, we are in an agreement as long as you agree that Bowles has never held anyone accountable this far. From Jalin fumbling a kickoff n giving up a TD to Fitz stinking it up for several weeks. And don't forget the Cromartie love affair. Ive heard he's very passionate but I doubt it. He's just a zombie. At least zombies are always hungry so the analogy fails there too. I guess you're just going to have to make him into another meme. 'You're such a Bowles'. 

17 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Like I've been saying, Geno has been undermining the coaches with his social media outbursts, but then when given the shot dribbles down his leg. If you're pressing the coaches to put you in, then you have to be aces when your number is called. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Like I've been saying, Geno has been undermining the coaches with his social media outbursts, but then when given the shot dribbles down his leg. If you're pressing the coaches to put you in, then you have to be aces when your number is called. 

This and I wouldn't be surprised if they finally cut geno. He stinks and keeps rowing in the opposite direction. 

Throwing an interception on 4th down tends to be a better outcome than an incompletion anyway ... neither does you any good, but an incompletion leads to a turnover on downs where the ball was last spotted. An interception (unless returned past the original line of scrimmage) still gains you yardage, in a sense.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

Throwing an interception on 4th down tends to be a better outcome than an incompletion anyway ... neither does you any good, but an incompletion leads to a turnover on downs where the ball was last spotted. An interception (unless returned past the original line of scrimmage) still gains you yardage, in a sense.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The way some of these supposedly knowledgeable posters keep referring to last nights lone drive, down 25, late in the 4th quarter, as some kind of legitimate chance for Geno is shameful. 

I'm kind of embarrassed for them when they spew out this nonsense about him ruining "his chance" lol.

Let's be fair, Geno was put in during "garbage" time, the game was over.  He should have been given a legitmate shot by starting the 2nd half.  Bowles acts like Fitz had a great resume and is just in a slump. If Eli Manning or Drew Brees were performing like Fitz is now, I could understand keeping them in.  However Fitz is a journeyman who, to his credit, played well last year but now has reverted to form. Bowles should take this opportunity to see if any of his young QBs can play.  Give Geno the first shot then over time, if warranted, go to Petty. I don't understand playing a 34 year old journeyman who will not be on the team next year. 

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Curious to know how you figured that out. Also curious to find out what happens on a 4th and 11 play on about 95% of the occasions. Also curious to know your answer to where you throw to if all your passing options are covered. Three questions. Please answer them. We'll get to the Chiefs game later on.

I'm sorry.  He turned it over once.  He was careless 2 times in three plays but only 1 of those were actually turned over. Feel better? 

He set up 4th and long by eating a sack and fumbling the ball. I'm not gonna praise him for being tough and trying to make a play when the throw was still a stupid decision that was forced because his carelessness on the play before put the offense in a bad position.  He's an NFL QB.  He should be tough enough for that. Then again, I don't expect much from a guy who can't keep it together on the sidelines long enough to not look like a whining pouty child because he's not playing.

I don't care about the Chiefs game because you still can't wrap your head around the fact that I hate them both and think they both suck.  No matter how many times I say it, you want to turn it into a Geno vs Fitz issue.  I publicly advocated for letting Geno start this season just so we could get a (likely) higher draft pick and roll the extra money into next year.  If Geno put it together and succeeded?  Well then that would have worked too.  I don't have a specific dog in this race.  I want someone who hasn't proven he's a complete failure to get their shot.

So Geno may start after all :

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17828168/todd-bowles-new-york-jets-coach-opens-door-sitting-quarterback-ryan-fitzpatrick

One day after giving a vote of confidence to embattled quarterback Ryan FitzpatrickNew York Jets coach Todd Bowles backtracked on his commitment, hinting Tuesday he could turn to Geno Smith this weekend.

Bowles also expanded the quarterback controversy to four players, saying it's "definitely possible" that Bryce Petty and/or Christian Hackenberg could play before the end of the season.

The coach backed Fitzpatrick after Monday night's 28-3 loss to the Arizona Cardinals, saying, "Fitz will be back next week. ... Fitz is our starter."

Some 18 hours later, Bowles was waffling, which is out of character for him.

"First of all, after the game, it's always going to be status quo because I'm never going to tell the media anything before I meet with my coaches and my GM and the rest of the staff, so everything is status quo until we have our meeting [Tuesday night]," Bowles said.

Fitzpatrick leads the NFL with 11 interceptions and has led the offense to only three touchdowns during the Jets' current four-game losing streak.

Bowles conceded he "revisited" the matter after his postgame news conference. He pulled Fitzpatrick midway through the fourth quarter of the blowout, inserting Smith, whose only series ended with an interception.

"He did show some promise when he was in there," Bowles said of Smith. "He understood the game plan and he did good for that drive he was in there."

Asked directly if Smith could start Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens (3-3), Bowles said, "We have to talk about more than that. There's a possibility every week there will be some changes made, player-wise."

Bowles didn't sound pleased that Smith told ESPN sideline reporter Lisa Salters before the game that he was "getting antsy" to play.

"I don't have any thoughts on backup players saying anything," Bowles said. "They're backups for a reason. If they get a chance to play, they better prove themselves to be worthy of playing regardless of who that person is."

Smith also attracted attention on the sideline by throwing his baseball cap and tossing a cup of ice on the field moments after Fitzpatrick was intercepted at the end of the third quarter. Clearly frustrated, Smith paced the sideline, waiting for his shot, which came shortly after that.

"I don't think anything of it," Bowles said of Smith's sideline behavior.

The Jets are 1-5. Since 1970, only two teams have rallied from a 1-5 start to make the postseason. With no quarterback of the future, the Jets are open to auditioning Petty and Hackenberg.

"It's possible," Bowles said. "We've still got some stages to go before we get to that point, but it's definitely possible."

Archived