Hackenberg, Petty Split First-Team Reps

JetNation

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the starting qb job was not a competition, it was based on last year's performance.  clearly fitz was rusty in the preseason but it didn't matter, and it carried into the regular season.  i'm not geno fan but he couldn't have done worse.  now all of a sudden there's a huge competition for the backup job.  

And?

Are you making a point?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Because Hack actually has the tools to be an NFL qb and Pettys chances are a  jetnation fan creation, ala Brett Ratliff

Petty got injured throwing a dead accurate 44-yard TD strike with plenty left in the cannon.

But I'd start him simply cause he looks happy, like the job is easy.

Hackenberg always looks like his brain hurts.

3 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Petty got injured throwing a dead accurate 44-yard TD strike with plenty left in the cannon.

That's what happens when you are a Hahvadh man.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I fear this is true

If true, they would have cut him in the offseason.  JMO

My guess is that his shoulder isn't 100%, anden they want to see the snap in the throw before they make Petty the back up.

21 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

When will the moron announce who the backup will be for Sunday or do they both dress keeping everyone guessing. 

What benefit do the Jets gain from letting everyone know who the backup is. If they have nothing to gain from it I have no problem with them keeping it under wraps.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

it's not consistent with how the starting qb job was determined.

And?

It's only inconsistent if you think Geno materially outplayed Fitz once Fitz was signed and in camp and in preseason.  

And if you think that, well, best of luck jousting that windmill Don.  

and if they don't want hack to play at all this year, why could he actually dress this week if petty has practiced for 2 weeks?

Maybe they changed their minds in light of circumstances.  It happens you know.

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And?

It's only inconsistent if you think Geno materially outplayed Fitz once Fitz was signed and in camp and in preseason.  

And if you think that, well, best of luck jousting that windmill Don.  

Maybe they changed their minds in light of circumstances.  It happens you know.

i dunno.  that was a pretty quick turnaround from hack not playing to maybe being the 2nd string.  i just think there's more behind the scenes than we're being told.  petty's injury was more serious than they let on.  nobody thought he wouldn't practice that long.  now hack is getting 1st string reps?  i guess fitz could be benched at any time still.

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i just think there's more behind the scenes than we're being told.

1. Of course there is.

2. As there should be.

petty's injury was more serious than they let on.

Certainly a possibility.

i guess fitz could be benched at any time still.

If Hack is the #2.....I wouldn't hold my breath.  No matter what the teams says publicly.

If Petty is the #2, it's more possible, but not much more.

We should be prepared to see Fitz suck (or do well, always possible) for a few weeks still before the real meaningful QB change is made.

Just now, Warfish said:

1. Of course there is.

2. As there should be.

Certainly a possibility.

If Hack is the #2.....I wouldn't hold my breath.  No matter what the teams says publicly.

We should be prepared to see Fitz suck (or do well, always possible) for a few weeks still before the real meaningful QB change is made.

Unless of course Fitzpatrick gets knocked out of the game then we will see for real who the next man up might be. 

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. Of course there is.

2. As there should be.

Certainly a possibility.

well the team has lost faith in fitz, and geno is gone so maybe this is nothing more than 'we don't have any more options'.  i guess what surprises me is that for a team that has consistently said that hack will not see the field this year, that they have not named petty the backup yet.  i know he's been hurt, but he's been practicing for 2 weeks, and definitely looked like the best one in camp.  i'm just surprised there's even a chance hack could dress this sunday.  i'd be shocked if hack was named the backup.

I think a lot of people are confused about what Hacks accuracy issues exactly are. It's not a throwing motion issue, it's a footwork issue. Think of Hack like you think of Vinny T. Hack plays QB like his feet are in quicksand. Like Vinny T, if you ask him to move his feet a lot, he will turn incredibly inaccurate. This is why Vinny T struggled in the west coast offense. So, yes he has some footwork to work on this offseason - but his throwing motion is a typical type A #1 overall draft pick throwing motion. If protected, and not asked to move a lot, he can play right now and be very good. Of course, his decision making will be that of a rookie as well at this point.

Sounds like Tom Brady.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. Of course there is.

2. As there should be.

Certainly a possibility.

So if the Jets are down to the Cleveland Browns say 17-3 solely because Fitz turned it over 2 to 3 times, and the offense is noticeably stagnant do you bench Fitz for Petty/Hack to start the 2nd half Sunday?

10 hours ago, jack48 said:

I think you tell him what he has to do, assume he is intelligent enough to know if he is doing it wrong, and put the onus on him to correct it.  You come back next day and observe.  Point out discrepancies.  So on and so forth as the season goes on. But you do not sit with him for hours on end.  He is not a dope.

Not a chance.  Ever golf?  Someone can't tell you what you're doi wrong, tell you how to fix it and you'll practice the same way all,day long.  Next day?  What good is it to practice wrong all day to be told the next day you wasted all that time.  

Its nuts not how it's done.  Nowhere.  And again, he's not sitting on his hands for hours on end.  H s learning the game.  

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I thought the point many have discussed was why they don't work on things like footwork and throwing motion during the season

no, he has deeper issues than footwork.  you don't draft a guy in the 2nd round and then stash him on a red-shirt year if its just footwork.  You fix that in May and let him fight for a job in camp

hack has big time deer in the head lights tendencies and sanchez like brain freeze.  in the eagles game he had two plays that you would hate to see from a high school QB, the intentional grounding and the INT.  both plays were dead, and he literally just chucked it up for grabs.  its was really bad.  

he also has big time touch issues, which may be mechanics or feel. its one of those things that if you are 21 and don't have it, you may never have it.

that is why this isn't just a footwork thing imo

9 hours ago, jetrider said:

There's a solid way to determine who should play QB

Archived