Wilkerson and Revis

Tinstar

I have read over and over about how these two are stealing money, about how they only play hard in their contract year and how any GM worth his salt should have known this and not caved to signing these two to those big contracts . Has it crossed the minds of anyone with this thought process that the injuries both players had surgery for in the off season may be the reason for they sub-par play thus far.

Revis had surgery on his wrist, and is still not playing bump and run coverage where he needs to use his hands to control WRs at the LOS . He's older and slower, and because of this and his lack of ability to re-route receivers at the LOS, he's getting beat by pure speed deep and by schemes the allow receivers to cross his face.

Wilkerson had a broken leg and now appears to be lacking the power he had prior to the injury. Combine that with his struggle with a lower leg injury, possibly as a result of his broken leg, and an argument can be made for the struggles of a player who has never "Dawg it" .

I am willing to give these 2 players the benefit of doubt because they have never played like this when they were healthy . For most players coming back from surgeries that affect the strength of their game, it usually takes a full NFL season before the player returns to form . This is the yr these 2 need to be propped up, not slammed for their play.

People need a help up when they're down, not to be kicked in the teeth  .   

That is all .

So because Revis had hand/wrist surgery he had to come into camp fat and out of shape? Amazing how you need your hands to stuff your rich selfish face but not to run and stay in reasonable shape. Sorry I ain't buying it. As for Wilkerson, was the fact that he was injured a factor in any way in week 1 when he was all over the field? He has disappeared and done nothing since. Sorry, ain't buying that one either.

There are only two paths to go down imo.

One, these guys got paid the huge dollars and are playing not even remotely close to their salary level.

Two, the front office were idiots for paying Wilkerson with him coming off a broken leg and Revis when he was showing signs of decline.

I really don't give a sh*t which one you choose two of the highest paid D players are mediocre at best and stinking at worst.

Should have paid Revis in his prime instead of trading him and we should have traded Wilk 2 years ago. 

Truth be told, the Jets did what most fans wanted, which was trading Mevi$ and signing Wilk to "close to" Watt money. 

Neither one is working out...and even at his best Wilk isn't worth the contract given. I don't care how the market is perceived, the resigning for that price was stupid. 

I think we underestimate how much Mo's broken leg affected his body overall, and it is highly likely that the lack of impact conditioning overall led to the problems he is having now as he gets into it.  Remember that he really did not play during OTAs or pre-season.  Signing him was a tough one, but I think another year of rehab/training/conditioning gets him back to 2105 in 2017.

I don't know whether Revis comes back worth his salary. I would wait until the last day to decide about that, and see how is conditioned at the time.

Based on the pattern of severe injuries taking a long time to heal, I am dubious about Decker in 2017, and I have been dubious about D. Smith in 2016.

22 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Should have paid Revis in his prime instead of trading him and we should have traded Wilk 2 years ago. 

Truth be told, the Jets did what most fans wanted, which was trading Mevi$ and signing Wilk to "close to" Watt money. 

Neither one is working out...and even at his best Wilk isn't worth the contract given. I don't care how the market is perceived, the resigning for that price was stupid. 

With the way contract prices keep going up, I think we'll be looking at Mo's contract as a steal in a few years. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Sheldon is asking for $17-18 million/yr in a few years.

22 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

With the way contract prices keep going up, I think we'll be looking at Mo's contract as a steal in a few years. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Sheldon is asking for $17-18 million/yr in a few years.

And what Leo will ask for a couple of years after that. 

5 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

So because Revis had hand/wrist surgery he had to come into camp fat and out of shape? Amazing how you need your hands to stuff your rich selfish face but not to run and stay in reasonable shape. Sorry I ain't buying it. As for Wilkerson, was the fact that he was injured a factor in any way in week 1 when he was all over the field? He has disappeared and done nothing since. Sorry, ain't buying that one either.

Works the same for the argument about dogging it too - why play like fury week 1 then start taking it easy?

I understand perfectly why Revis was resigned when Big Mac became the GM, but I was not real hot about the signing . I just didn't think that it was worth it to our salary cap to sign Revis to the type of deal he would command . He's not that terrible a player, but his salary is a real problem .

4 hours ago, Kevin L said:

Im looking at his worth now not 4 years from now. In today's market, he's not worth the contract today. Looking at it 4 years from now doesnt really help given that Mo's contract today will be irrelevant 4 years from now. If we signed Wilk 4 years from now to what those contracts would be worth during that time then guess what? It will still be too much and people will be saying 4 years from that day to "imagine what the contract would be 4 years from now....it would be a steal then". 

Problem is, we dont have that money now and Wilk is on the books today. The Jets should have traded him or not drafted Williams. The contract would have made better sense if we didnt already have his replacement. It doesnt matter what year it's in, the signing was a poor one. 

I could atleast understand the Revis signing given that it was an actual need. We didnt need Wilk when we have Sheldon and Williams. Now we have the issue of not even being able to put all of them on the field because the defense sucks. 

I read that quote that revis said about all those years playing man on man has taken a toll. I don't remember Darrel Green or deon sanders having any issues at 31. Guy got paid and came in out of shape. I don't want to hear about his wrist surgery.  You can run enough to stay in shape with a broken wrist.  Not surprised about mo. He always put up good numbers but he was never the kind of player I noticed disrupting the offense every play. He's a very good player but not great.

55 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im looking at his worth now not 4 years from now. In today's market, he's not worth the contract today. Looking at it 4 years from now doesnt really help given that Mo's contract today will be irrelevant 4 years from now. If we signed Wilk 4 years from now to what those contracts would be worth during that time then guess what? It will still be too much and people will be saying 4 years from that day to "imagine what the contract would be 4 years from now....it would be a steal then". 

Problem is, we dont have that money now and Wilk is on the books today. The Jets should have traded him or not drafted Williams. The contract would have made better sense if we didnt already have his replacement. It doesnt matter what year it's in, the signing was a poor one. 

I could atleast understand the Revis signing given that it was an actual need. We didnt need Wilk when we have Sheldon and Williams. Now we have the issue of not even being able to put all of them on the field because the defense sucks. 

Personally, I didn't think we needed Williams since we already had Mo and Sheldon, but that's another matter.

If we had let Mo walk, or even traded him, we'd be looking at the prospect of Sheldon demanding more money than Mo got, all the while not being as good as Mo.

IMO, Mo hasn't fully recovered from his injury, which accounts for his down year. Meanwhile, Sheldon has done nothing to show me that he even deserves Mo money.

30 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Personally, I didn't think we needed Williams since we already had Mo and Sheldon, but that's another matter.

If we had let Mo walk, or even traded him, we'd be looking at the prospect of Sheldon demanding more money than Mo got, all the while not being as good as Mo.

IMO, Mo hasn't fully recovered from his injury, which accounts for his down year. Meanwhile, Sheldon has done nothing to show me that he even deserves Mo money.

I totally agree. We didnt need Williams. My problem here is, since we drafted Williams why in the world are we signing Wilk to a blockbuster contract? Whats the purpose of even drafting Williams then? 

And sure, Sheldon would probably be demanding more money than Mo....but like you said "in the future there's more money to be had". The problem isnt resigning Sheldon to more money in the future than what we signed mo to this year, the problem is drafting at the same position and not dealing a guy that you can when you have two younger guys with higher potential/athleticism. 

And to Sheldon's credit, he hasnt done nothing to show that he deserves Mo money because he's too busy being played out of position for the past two seasons given that we drafted Williams last year then resigned Mo this year. Sheldon had no business playing OLB last season and he had no business playing OLB/MLB this season. Thats not his fault.

However, the fact that Sheldon has shown the ability to even play OLB/MLB at 300 lbs proves my point on the athleticism aspect of things. This is the same 300lb guy that we see chase down WR's/RB's from behind. Thats just freakish. 

Wilk will be fine. He will recover fully from his injury and return to beast mode. Jets did the right thing by re-signing him- IMO. It will just take some time. He is not the type of player that only plays hard in his contract year. He has played hard his entire career. Now that he is struggling a bit everybody is ready to get rid of him, what a joke.

Revis is a COMPLETELY different case as far as the type of player he is. He has always wanted more money and has a history of holding out. Having said that, he has also been one of the top defensive players in the league for a number of years. But unlike WIlk, he is older and obviously on the decline due to injuries, age, etc.  

But to be fair, when the Jets signed him, he had a very good season. So, it was a good move to sign him last season but now that he is showing decline its a bad move? C'mon man- you can;t really have it both ways. I guess you could argue they should have signed him on a 1 year deal like the Past lol. But other than that, you can't blame the GM. And you can't really blame the player b/c he came out and and had one of his better seasons right after you signed him. Now, not giving effort is obviously unacceptable. But this is where coaching comes into play. If a guy is getting beat like a drum AND not showing effort, I don't care how much money you are paying him, the guy needs to get benched or chewed out, or SOMETHING. If things don't turn around for Revis in this second half of the season, he will get cut in the offseason, saving 2mil in roster bonus but taking a 6mil hit. I doubt that happens though. Revis can still play. We've seen it against less than stellar WRs. He's just not a #1 CB anymore and I want to see more Burris out there on the outside, even though he is a rookie.           

Archived