Jets: "didn’t look like professional football players"

Mike135

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Which is why you give him more than just garbage time in December.

A veteran WR on IR - not to mention, BFF and chief booster of the return of the veteran screwing up - more or less said using Petty means the coach has given up. And Bowles let him get away with it by throwing Fitz out there still until they were mathematically eliminated.

Then he went to Petty, and these players (who weren't playing so great before they were eliminated anyway) have clearly mailed it in after getting this "it no longer matters" confirmation from their wuss HC. The ones still giving their all are generally hungry, younger players: those looking for more playing time or a new contract rather than those trying to prolong their careers by not getting hurt in December playing for a 4-win team. 

The signing f Futz and then the decision to stick with him has made this season an abomination. Long term decisions go out the door to easily around here. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

What was our record in the alternate universe where Petty started the whole season?

No worse than where we are now record-wise.  

Actual knowledge of how good or bad Petty is.

Hackenberg would have more experience and practice time.

We'd have 12mil more to use next season.

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

Bowles named Fitz the starter for 2016 the day after they lost to Buffalo.  What was his GM to do?  His Head Coach publicly stated Fitz was the starter for 2016 while he wasnt under contract.

You cant make this sh*t up.  It's a comedy of errors. 

And that is the case to keep Macc as GM

8 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

They have a QB and a game breaking WR ,they have a HC that's not afraid to take chances offensively including going for it on 4th down. Yes, their defense is much improved but outside of the last 2 games its still been the offense winning games for them.

Because the Jets don't have the QB yet , the last thing I want is another HC trying to play conservatively thinking they can win games with D.  I want a HC who is progressive minded in attacking an NFL defense and who will not be afraid to take chances.

Fair enough, and I wouldn't mind it if the best option is an offensive guy.  But I'd still prefer a defensive guy.

We still may be many-many-many years away from finding a good QB.  

Stack the oline and D in the meantime so if we ever get lucky with a young QB, it won't be all on his shoulders.

34 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

- Bill Belichick
- Pete Carroll
- Mike Tomlin
- Ron Rivera
- Mike Zimmer

All regarded as among the best coaches in the league.  All coaches with a defensive background. This notion that the Jets must limit their head coaching search to ONLY offensive guys is idiotic. Why limit yourself? 

The biggest mistake the Jets have continually made with regard to head coaches is that they always hire guys with no prior head coaching experience. They always go for the big name coordinator who has never run their own team. 

If Bowles is fired, there's 5 guys with prior head coaching experience that I'd like them to look at. Ironically enough 4 of them are offensive coaches. But that doesn't mean the 5th one should be automatically discounted:

1. Jim Harbaugh (pipe dream)
2. Tom Coughlin
3. Doug Marrone
4. Mike Shanahan
5. Mangini

Throw Sean Payton in there if the trade rumors are true.

The idea of even considering Mangini is terrible, but Harbaugh brought him in as "senior offensive consultant" and later made him TE coach.  It wasn't until Tomsula came on board that they shifted him to DC.  Their defense promptly went from 4 straight years in top 10 in yards allowed to 18th and 4 straight years of top 5 in points allowed to 29th. To be fair, they did lose Dorsey, Willis and Aldon Smith. 

38 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I didn't.

I think I probably underestimated the likelihood and magnitude of the effective worst-case scenario we wound up with but I think that even given a more accurate read on the risk Fitzpatrick would still have been the unquestioned best option.

Sometimes the story is as simple as sh*t happens.

With three younger, unproven QB's all with stronger arms Futz was not an option at all. His signing meant reps from the QB's that really required them. That set this franchise back. Why draft QB's if you are not going to let them develop? Particularly since they are projects for the most part. 

No coherent, strategic business plan is in place here. That is a certainty. If SP comes here Macc may not have much say

21 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I understand that but at least the initial price for Payton wouldnt be steep. It's reported that they wouldn't be asking a fortune. How many years left on Bowles contract..2?

Then trade a 5th for him and trade SR someplace else

26 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

What was our record in the alternate universe where Petty started the whole season?

I do not think that Petty would have started the whole season.  I do not think he would have beaten out Geno for the starting JOB.  I think our record would be about the same....

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Sadly this isn't true.  Many thought Fitz was the correct move.  In fact many will still argue it was the unquestioned best option.

Bringing back Fitz was a smart move unless you can come up with a better option. The mistake was anointing him the starter. That's on Bowles. Petty should have been given a chance to start from week 1 if he showed signs he could play relatively well. Instead they got caught up in the 10-6 season and just missing out and didn't give Petty a legit chance to start. Then Petty got hurt and they were stuck with Geno/Fitz. 

For those that opposed bringing Fitz back, what other Qb would you have brought in case Petty was  a trainwreck and Geno was....Geno?

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bringing back Fitz was a smart move unless you can come up with a better option. The mistake was anointing him the starter. That's on Bowles. Petty should have been given a chance to start from week 1 if he showed signs he could play relatively well. Instead they got caught up in the 10-6 season and just missing out and didn't give Petty a legit chance to start. Then Petty got hurt and they were stuck with Geno/Fitz. 

For those that opposed bringing Fitz back, what other Qb would you have brought in case Petty was  a trainwreck and Geno was....Geno?

Regardless of which side of the fence you fell on about re-signing $hitz, I think we all can agree that topic has been discussed enough.

There are plenty of old threads to review for what everyone thought at the time.

Myself, and a few other wise souls knew Fitz was useless.  Others thought differently.  So be it.

No sense rehashing the debate.  We can now happily let the Fitz-era die.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Agree.

it will never happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing Mangini back.  When he was here the first time he was to young, and to immature.  He tried to play the tough guy and  emulate "Lil Bill" to much.

Some quality players were brought in during his tenure, I know a lot of posters are going to disagree, but I wouldn't mind seeing "Mangenius part II" 

I could get behind that idea.

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you wrote Fitz sucks on your shoe, you can have the same argument with your shoe as you can with this guy. 

5 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

If you wrote Fitz sucks on your shoe, you can have the same argument with your shoe as you can with this guy. 

I think NoBalls misses JW.  He needs someone to argue with.

Don't worry, you're not alone NoBalls, we all miss JW.  He'll be back soon.

2 hours ago, shawn306 said:

They haven't looked like a professional football team pretty much from opening day.

I don't know what or why this has gone so horribly wrong. Personally I don't care anymore. They have become Dolan's Knicks. Unwatchable.

Still watching but out of habit. Disturbing that the coaching staff and team are clearly going through the motions. Don't know how this is remotely acceptable. 

Concern with Bowles(and Ryan, and Mangini, and Groh,a  Edwards, and so on forever, but I repeat my self) is as a defense first coach, he needed to have a serious go getter OC who understood the need for a serious passing attack, the need for urgency, the need to score points, to take advantage of every opportunity. And he hired an "establish the run" 3 yards and a could of dust old guy who's ideas consist on 1st and 2nd down straight up the gut at the other team's 300+ lb. big dogs. With Chan, it's always 1975, and we'll get'em next time, enough with that fancy passing stuff.Passing is hard.  In other words, the Jets fvkced it up. Again.

Can't wait for Ambassador Richie Rich to AGAIN get in an interview room with the next up and coming DC who runs out all the tough guy cliches, and doesn't have a clue about offense,  and then gets to screw things up here. AGAIN. 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Whose brilliant ******* idea was it to start petty four weeks left in the seaso.  they acted towards the media as if that was the plan the whole time, what kind of idiot makes up a four week audition for quarterback out of all positions.

There was NO chance any other way guys.

The WORST thing that happened to this franchise was the 10-6 mirage of a season we had.  People were actually believing, me included, that we were close to getting into the playoffs and making some noise.  With such an idea in mind, we were not going to hand the reins over to Petty and say, "Well, we almost made the playoffs last season on Fitzpatrick's career season, so now, take us to the promise land Petty!"

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

The WORST thing that happened to this franchise was the 10-6 mirage of a season we had.  People were actually believing, me included, that we were close to getting into the playoffs and making some noise.  With such an idea in mind, we were not going to hand the reins over to Petty and say, "Well, we almost made the playoffs last season on Fitzpatrick's career season, so now, take us to the promise land Petty!"

Nah dude nobody is saying that but what I am saying is he should of been pulled after we hit 3-7. At that point the play offs wasn't  going to happen. We had got beaten by too many AFC contenders and Fitz was throwing pick after pick. After the Ravens game when Geno was injured there was ZERO reason to play Fitz again, like they did. Complete idiocy. You benched him for a reason. Petty should of started but instead Fitz screwed up 5 more games Petty could of got experienced in.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

2006?  

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Saddest part of this... Petty's audition is happening within the context of nobody giving a rats ass. If Bowles had given Petty play sooner in the season, then the evaluation period would have maybe... just maybe... had some weeks where more than 5 guys cared.

I agree 110%. Suckpatrick should have been benched after the Chiefs game. Any coach, especially Bowles' master, Parcells, would have done that. 

Archived