Jets: "didn’t look like professional football players"

Mike135

Just now, LWC611 said:

Wait a minute... Signing Fitzpatrick to a 12 million dollar deal was Mac's decision not Bowles, furthermore, after the GM signs him to that kind of money the Bowles is supposed to ignore that and play Geno and the other kids...I just do not think that is realistic..

Bowles named Fitz the starter for 2016 the day after they lost to Buffalo.  What was his GM to do?  His Head Coach publicly stated Fitz was the starter for 2016 while he wasnt under contract.

You cant make this sh*t up.  It's a comedy of errors. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I think the whole thing was never thought through, I think they wanted to hold onto Fitzpatrick and a dream of a 9-7 wildcard miracle as long as they could.  And when they couldn't, and when Fitz was stinking the joint up, without Geno to throw to the wolves they had no choice but to give it to the next-man-up.

Problem now is that Bryce will end the year 0-4 and the narrative will be that he's "bad" and he'll have to wash that stink off him for six months.  The potential upside (he plays outstanding) vs the potential downside (can't lead an injured team of quitters) wasn't worth the risk.  Then again, angry Jets fans would think Bowles an even bigger idiot for keeping Fitzpatrick in there.  Bowles couldn't win either way.

SAR I

I 10000% agree with you on what happened prior to the 4 week audition but it was stupid to think that because the Chiefs the Broncos dolphins and even the bills was  so much ahead of us as far as winning percentage goes it was just no possible way even if we did go 9-7 

1 minute ago, LWC611 said:

Wait a minute... Signing Fitzpatrick to a 12 million dollar deal was Mac's decision not Bowles, furthermore, after the GM signs him to that kind of money the Bowles is supposed to ignore that and play Geno and the other kids...I just do not think that is realistic..

I'm quite sure if the decision fell only to Bowles then the decision would have been the same. Bowles famously named Fitz the starter before he was even under contract; there's no rational reason to believe he didn't want Fitzpatrick back as his QB. 

If Bowles didn't want him back, Fitz wouldn't be back. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Bowles named Fitz the starter for 2016 the day after they lost to Buffalo.  What was his GM to do?  His Head Coach publicly stated Fitz was the starter for 2016 while he wasnt under contract.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm quite sure if the decision fell only to Bowles then the decision would have been the same. Bowles famously named Fitz the starter before he was even under contract; there's no rational reason to believe he didn't want Fitzpatrick back as his QB. 

Thanks for the reminder guys. I forgot about that.....

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Right. And don't even get me started on in game errors.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Everyone saw this coming.  Everyone but Todd Bowles. 

I didn't.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

In fact many will still argue it was the unquestioned best option.

I think I probably underestimated the likelihood and magnitude of the effective worst-case scenario we wound up with but I think that even given a more accurate read on the risk Fitzpatrick would still have been the unquestioned best option.

Sometimes the story is as simple as sh*t happens.

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No , can we just get an offensive minded coach - in a league that umm favors offense.

- Bill Belichick
- Pete Carroll
- Mike Tomlin
- Ron Rivera
- Mike Zimmer

All regarded as among the best coaches in the league.  All coaches with a defensive background. This notion that the Jets must limit their head coaching search to ONLY offensive guys is idiotic. Why limit yourself? 

The biggest mistake the Jets have continually made with regard to head coaches is that they always hire guys with no prior head coaching experience. They always go for the big name coordinator who has never run their own team. 

If Bowles is fired, there's 5 guys with prior head coaching experience that I'd like them to look at. Ironically enough 4 of them are offensive coaches. But that doesn't mean the 5th one should be automatically discounted:

1. Jim Harbaugh (pipe dream)
2. Tom Coughlin
3. Doug Marrone
4. Mike Shanahan
5. Mangini

Throw Sean Payton in there if the trade rumors are true.

3 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I didn't.

I think I probably underestimated the likelihood and magnitude of the effective worst-case scenario we wound up with but I think that even given a more accurate read on the risk Fitzpatrick would still have been the unquestioned best option.

With all your wisdom, you didnt see this was a disaster in the making?  I'm shocked!  This was some super easy sh*t to predict. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This hits the nail right on the head of what a totally dysfunctional mess Woody has created. If this was a professional organization, the GM would have the final say on what players are here or not. The fact that both our coach and GM are on equal footing is why this horrible decision, plus so many more , have been made. Unless Woody has a 'Hess moment" and brings in his own version of Parcells to run this sh*t show, this will never end.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's the most damning part and all the signs were their last season.  Dude is lost.  It's literally like he's clueless as to how the game works. 

Just an emotionless clueless bum. No feel for situations in the game. He is suppose to be a defensive guru and he has our defense looking like sh*t. We have had like 1 interception all season. So what the hell is he good for? I'm tired of the Jets organization getting on the podium and saying "oh he will be a great HC". No...he won't. Fire him year 2 because it's the same song and dance with these HC's. We haven't learned from Rex and the rest of them? If it ever worked out after year 2 then we would already have a solid coach lol.

4 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I think I probably underestimated the likelihood and magnitude of the effective worst-case scenario we wound up with but I think that even given a more accurate read on the risk Fitzpatrick would still have been the unquestioned best option.

Sure.  Though most times it's a case of simply being wrong.  

For the fans wanting Fitz, sure they can say "$hit happens" to deflect blame.

Can't let the GM and coach get away with that though.

2 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

- Bill Belichick
- Pete Carroll
- Mike Tomlin
- Ron Rivera
- Mike Zimmer

All regarded as among the best coaches in the league.  All coaches with a defensive background. This notion that the Jets must limit their head coaching search to ONLY offensive guys is idiotic. Why limit yourself? 

The biggest mistake the Jets have continually made with regard to head coaches is that they always hire guys with no prior head coaching experience. They always go for the big name coordinator who has never run their own team. 

If Bowles is fired, there's 5 guys with prior head coaching experience that I'd like them to look at. Ironically enough 4 of them are offensive coaches. But that doesn't mean the 5th one should be automatically discounted:

1. Jim Harbaugh (pipe dream)
2. Tom Coughlin
3. Doug Marrone
4. Mike Shanahan
5. Mangini

Throw Sean Payton in there if the trade rumors are true.

Because we've tried that for over a decade only hiring defensive minded HC's and its failed miserably.

Of your list I'd go with Payton as 1 1a and 1b with Marrone as the fall back.

31 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

They don't even try to hide it  anymore it's blatantly obvious but none of them give a damn anymore and bowls has to go he's worn out his welcome to quickly and that's his own fault he has no one to blame but himself I don't blame the GM he actually put talent on this team I don't care what any of you say he did a decent job  yes he has made mistakes but is drafts aren't as bad as some of you were saying and could even be better as time goes on this is solely on the head coach he has lost his players he can't coach he can't adjust he has terrible in game decisions, he's sh*t and we need an experienced HC that can get this offense on the right track once and for all. Trade Sheldon and a 5th to Saints for Sean Payton and pair him with D.C. Jeff Fisher since the Rams D was solid.

Trade SR to them and get a 5th too would be better for the Jets

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Just an emotionless clueless bum. No feel for situations in the game. He is suppose to be a defensive guru and he has our defense looking like sh*t. We have had like 1 interception all season. So what the hell is he good for? I'm tired of the Jets organization getting on the podium and saying "oh he will be a great HC". No...he won't. Fire him year 2 because it's the same song and dance with these HC's. We haven't learned from Rex and the rest of them? If it ever worked out after year 2 then we would already have a solid coach lol.

His game management, his clock management, his challenges, his feel for the game, his ability to deploy the proper personnel, his game plans, his motivation, his lack of accountability, his devotion to sh*tty entitled vets who dont play hard, his lack of emotion, his inability to adjust, his reluctance to play younger players...we saw glimpses of all this last year and this year they might as well be hanging it from the Freedom Tower.

And we're going to ignore all of this and give him another year because we dont want to be the Browns.

smh

44 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

All the more reason to give the posters here what they want, give Todd Bowltite a 10 year extension with a "no fire" clause.

This team and organization makes me sick as does anyone who accepts losing and the absolute $hit show we have experienced here this season. All while I have to sit and watch the other NY team win 12+ games with a great, and I mean Championship caliber defense that smart signings and good drafting has created and we sit here kidding ourselves saying how great our DL is. What a joke. This DL and the rest of them are the worst in the NFL bar none. At least the Browns and 49'ers compete. These guys only want to know where de hoes are at.

F Them.

So right, it's the not so much they are bad, it's the mailing it in I have a problem with.

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Because we've tried that for over a decade only hiring defensive minded HC's and its failed miserably.

That has nothing to do with them having a defensive background, and everything to do with them being neophyte head coaches. Herm, Mangini, Rex, and Bowles all had no prior experience as a head coach at any level.

You're a fool if you thought they would walk right in, and know what they were doing.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Your brain is trying to protect itself by blocking. It means you're healthy.

You are right because I completely forgot about him Fitzpatrick the starter that when he was not under contract.  Thanks again for the reminder....

24 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Amen. You don't play guys that miss tackles, blow assignments etc...Pryor, Richardson, and Revis would be the first to hit the pine if I were in charge. I can take losing as long as there is effort. I can't stand the obvious lack of effort from these guys, and if it continues without change, I would advocate firing Bowles.

You can't put Pryor in the boat with quitters like Revis and Richardson. Pyror plays his ass off, he just isn't as good as people thought he would be. The guy has gotten like 5 concussions because he goes all out, all the time. You can replace him because you have a better player, not because he doesn't play hard. Big difference.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Two AFC Championship games isn't failing miserably.

Take a look at the Midgets now.  What's allowing them to win?  The average offense or top notch defense?

Defense still rules this league come December/January/February.  I wouldn't let Bowles drastically affect how we choose coaches.  Go after the best coach available, and I'd still give a slight edge to a defensive minded coach if it's close.

24 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Sadly this isn't true.  Many thought Fitz was the correct move.  In fact many will still argue it was the unquestioned best option.

True that bro. The board was nearly unreadable with the Futz rhetoric. Bowles sticking with him past the KC game lost this team. He may have had to since pressure could have come from upstairs (Macc/Woody). 

Some players like Revis were already quitters by then. He did not even come to play this season. We need good, sound decisions made from here on

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Saddest part of this... Petty's audition is happening within the context of nobody giving a rats ass. If Bowles had given Petty play sooner in the season, then the evaluation period would have maybe... just maybe... had some weeks where more than 5 guys cared.

He should have been in weeks earlier thats for sure. But idk if the team is even billing this as an audition, given the lack of f.uck given by a majority of the roster. Its more of rep/experience building.

33 minutes ago, LWC611 said:

Completely agree. 

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

That has nothing to do with them having a defensive background, and everything to do with them being neophyte head coaches. Herm, Mangini, Rex, and Bowles all had no prior experience as a head coach at any level.

You're a fool if you thought they would walk right in, and know what they were doing.

Every single one of them tried/wanted to win games 7-6 it was the old school mentality of you win by defense. Every single experienced HC  you mentioned failed somewhere before getting it together - not because they suddenly  had a revelation on how to coach they got QB's and offenses that worked in today's NFL .

Belicheck - Brady  , Carroll - Wilson,   Tomlin - Big Ben , Rivera - Newton,  Zimmer - Teddy B and AP.

Sure having a QB is key but the Jets need a coach who isn't afraid to lose 30-29 games . Trying to win 7-6 games doesn't work in today's NFL where you breathe on a WR you draw a PI call.

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

What was our record in the alternate universe where Petty started the whole season?

With a 16 game season to grow...who knows. He sees the field well for a young guy and is only getting better. Probably wouldn't be a pretty 12 win record but I'm willing to bet we would be satisfied enough with the results and #9's ability.

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Two AFC Championship games isn't failing miserably.

Take a look at the Midgets now.  What's allowing them to win?  The average offense or top notch defense?

Defense still rules this league come December/January/February.  I wouldn't let Bowles drastically affect how we choose coaches.  Go after the best coach available, and I'd still give a slight edge to a defensive minded coach if it's close.

They have a QB and a game breaking WR ,they have a HC that's not afraid to take chances offensively including going for it on 4th down. Yes, their defense is much improved but outside of the last 2 games its still been the offense winning games for them.

Because the Jets don't have the QB yet , the last thing I want is another HC trying to play conservatively thinking they can win games with D.  I want a HC who is progressive minded in attacking an NFL defense and who will not be afraid to take chances.

Archived