Any Bowles defenders still out there?

drdetroit

On 12/24/2016 at 2:21 PM, Lizard King said:

Bowles is a joke. Guy thinks he's ******* Parcells and the only thing he's actually accomplished is having the worst season since Al Groh. 

Rex was 4-12 just a few years ago.

Al Groh was 5-0 at one point and finished the season at 9-7.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Cool.  Our game plan is to go 0-16 in 2017 to get Lamar Jackson!

I would like this. not that I know who Lamar Jackson is of course but if he's the next great QB then great.

Spend our whole draft getting O line studs and some young RB's. Then get a top 3 QB next year.

1 hour ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I can't !!  His team gave up on him except for a few exceptions like Powell, Anderson and Petty.

Powell - motivated because we buried him on the depth chart behind Forte because Forte is a name

Anderson - undrafted rookie FA is hungry, really the only good thing Bowles has done in 2 years but then again Kottie discovered Chrebet

Petty - looked average, was hungry because he was benched for Noodle-Arm

On 12/24/2016 at 2:13 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

ONly in the sense that if we fire Bowles now, what good head coach is coming here where they may be gone after 2 years?

Bullsh*t argument. There are only 32 of these jobs available IN THE WORLD. If you think coaching candidates will not throw their names in the hat to come here you aren't thinking straight. I believe there would be a lot of interest in the Jets job. Mac should be the one to make the hire though, not Woody Johnson or his advisors.

As we are getting closer to Game Day and listening to the reason not to play Hackenburg really does not sound like a coach who will be losing his job.  "We have a plan for Hack and that was to redshirt first year."  If you are a coach about to be let go and you are looking for anything to help save your job, you have a shiny toy sitting in the box, yet your still not playing the young QB and sticking to the plan, tells me that he Bowels will be back next year to see that plan come to fruition.

9 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Bullsh*t argument. There are only 32 of these jobs available IN THE WORLD. If you think coaching candidates will not throw their names in the hat to come here you aren't thinking straight. I believe there would be a lot of interest in the Jets job. Mac should be the one to make the hire though, not Woody Johnson or his advisors.

I agree with what you are saying to a certain extent.  If a candidate had multiple options especially if another team had a QB and a team that wasn't on the radar of every hack reporter and  TV station  that wants to constantly paint the Jets as a dysfunctional organization I would agree 100%. There have been several instances where coordinators stayed with a team due to undesirable HC options. If a desirable sought after HC candidate was on the market I am not confident the Jets would be his first choice.

The Jets at this point are not the most optimal team to take over given our lack of talent and meddling owner who might be concentrating his efforts on the Trump gig. Look at Dan Quinn, he walked into a great HC gig he had a QB and a team that just lacked a solid D.

If we decide to hire a new HC I agree it needs to be Mac's choice.  

I don't consider myself a Bowles defender, but I have a tough time firing the HC of a sh*tty team with no QB after just 2 seasons in which he won 10 games in one of the seasons.  I don't know what realistic expectations should have been, but this team was 4-12 the year before Mac/Bowles arrived.

When  a team is not competitive as we have not been coming to close of the season pressure builds from media and fans- Woody will not have a choice but to pulll the trigger especially Buffalo game the fans in stadium will be ghost town

1 minute ago, faba said:

When  a team is not competitive as we have not been coming to close of the season pressure builds from media and fans- Woody will not have a choice but to pulll the trigger especially Buffalo game the fans in stadium will be ghost town

If Woody caves to media and fans, its more of a commnetary on Woody than Bowles.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't consider myself a Bowles defender, but I have a tough time firing the HC of a sh*tty team with no QB after just 2 seasons in which he won 10 games in one of the seasons.  I don't know what realistic expectations should have been, but this team was 4-12 the year before Mac/Bowles arrived.

Bowles n Macc were given all the credit for last year's 10-6 season. They deserve all the blame for this year's garbage. And the no QB argument? Who exactly do you think Rex had when he took us to two AFCCGs?

Just now, j4jets said:

Bowles n Macc were given all the credit for last year's 10-6 season. They deserve all the blame for this year's garbage. And the no QB argument? Who exactly do you think Rex had when he took us to two AFCCGs?

So you expected Mac to build a championship team in 2 seasons? I love fans!

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

It was unrealistic to expect playoffs out of this sorry roster.

It was realistic to expect better than 4 wins.

Summary: they both suck.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It was unrealistic to expect playoffs out of this sorry roster.

It was realistic to expect better than 4 wins.

Summary: they both suck.

I agree this season is a disappointment. I just want to point out that when rebuilding a team it's not a constant improvement record wise. You can regress.  I'm showing my age but I always felt the best rebuilding program performed was Walt Micheals.  He took over an embarrassing 3-11 team and had them in the AFC title game when he departed.  In 1979 he was 8-8 then fell to 4-12 in 1980.  The papers were calling for his head.  In 1981 the Jets were 10-5-1.  Last year Mac put band aides on a bad team.  He brought in Free Agents, combined with a career year by Fitz and a favorable schedule we had a 10 win season.  While I'm not excusing a 4 win season, we had unrealistic expectations going inot this season. The bottom line is Mac/Bowles took over a 4-12 team, you have to see a program through before starting over. 2 years is not long enough.  Also records don't always indicate how a program is going. They deserve more time.

“Not at all. We’ve talked about it. It’s not the effort, it’s the concern,” Bowles said at a press conference. “Those are blown things that we blow week in and week out. That’s consistent. So those things make it seem like the effort isn’t there, but the effort’s there. Blowing same things week in and week out makes it seem worse than it is.”

Sorry but these sound like the words of a High School field hockey coach .

I've talked to the girls ...I said girls.... stop blowing things every week..pull up them socks, keep those sticks on the ground...focus and stop complaining being itchy.

Archived