QB option

Patriot Killa

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'd sign Kirk way before even thinking about Bottles, though I'd sign Glennon over both. 

I could actually see a scenario where the Redskins let Cousins walk and sign Glennon instead.   The skins would have to pay cousins something around $25M with the franchise tag and would still be on a year-to-year basis with him.   If the can get Glennon for < than half the price they may just let Cousins walk.   He's good but he's not Aaron Rodgers and doesn't win games on his own.    

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I could actually see a scenario where the Redskins let Cousins walk and sign Glennon instead.   The skins would have to pay cousins something around $25M with the franchise tag and would still be on a year-to-year basis with him.   If the can get Glennon for < than half the price they may just let Cousins walk.   He's good but he's not Aaron Rodgers and doesn't win games on his own.    

Schefter thinks Mike Glennon could command 17-18 million per year next year. That is a lot of coin for Glennon, and makes that decision a much tougher one to make.     At what price would you stop having an interest in Mike Glennon.

You go hard after Cousins & Fire Bowles & replace him with Kyle Shanahan, the coach that brought him along. Dream scenario. It's gonna be a very contentious contract negotiation with Kirks agent, he's a big boy QB now.

Jets have the offensive pieces, Anderson can be their Jackson, Enunwa their Garçon, Decker is better than the rest, we definitely don't have a TE like Jordan Reed, but I'm sure Cousins would find ASJ more than our present horrible QBs.

1 minute ago, Raideraholic said:

Schefter thinks Mike Glennon could command 17-18 million per year next year. That is a lot of coin for Glennon, and makes that decision a much tougher one to make.     At what price would you stop having an interest in Mike Glennon.

The market has driven the price up and we will need to pay a lot of coin for any decent, or even potentially decent QB. Most of us were complaining about $12M for Fitzpatrick and look at what we got for our money. Houston paid $18M a year for Osweiler and that's not turning out well. For even a serviceable QB, Woody will need to open his checkbook. The bidding STARTS around $17M or so, unless we sign another backup QB to "hold the fort", which I am tired of. That said, if we can't improve our O-line it won't matter who the QB is- he will be killed.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

What is your maximum contract amount you'd offer for Glennon (per season and number of seasons, if you please).

I don't know the maximum. I have said in the past that I wouldn't think twice about offering him 3 years 30 million right now. Since guys like Fitz can find a team that would offer 12 million then I'd say that my max for Glennon would be 3 years 36 million...basically a Fitz contract. 

To be clear, I think Fitz was grossly overpaid given that I made a 30 min video talking about how signing Fitz to a 7-10 million dollar contract was already ridiculous. So 12 million is more of a compliment to Glennon and how I see him than it is simply matching what we paid Fitz. 

Based on the market, if Fitz could get 12 and Brock 19, paying Glennon 12 is a sweet deal for both sides. 

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

You'd take glennon over a semi proven commodity like cousins? Really?

Cousins can't beat good teams. With the group he has on both sides of the ball there's simply no excuse for it. Look at last season. It was the same thing for the most part.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't sign him whatsoever, but if I had a choice in the matter id rather have Glennon for less money given that Kirk us "semi-proven".

There's a very good reason why you said that yourself

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

You'd take glennon over a semi proven commodity like cousins? Really?

Cousins can't beat good teams. With the group he has on both sides of the ball there's simply no excuse for it. Look at last season. It was the same thing for the most part.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't sign him whatsoever, but if I had a choice in the matter id rather have Glennon for less money given that Kirk us "semi-proven".

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Def not convinced he is a "franchise Qb" just yet but at market value equally for both you gotta go with cousins every day all day. Glennon is a complete wild card that didn't show enough to stop the bucs from trading the pick and adding talent for glennon instead of replacing him

35 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Precisely. I was just explaining that to @Anthony Jet

4 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Def not convinced he is a "franchise Qb" just yet but at market value equally for both you gotta go with cousins every day all day. Glennon is a complete wild card that didn't show enough to stop the bucs from trading the pick and adding talent for glennon instead of replacing him

If the redskins drafted him, then tagged him only to let him hit the market and let him take a walk, then it's fair to say that he's just as much a wildcard. 

To rather let a guy like that walk in the same league that signs guys like Brock and Fitz to their contracts imo says alot.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

If the redskins drafted him, then tagged him only to let him hit the market and let him take a walk, then it's fair to say that he's just as much a wildcard. 

To rather let a guy like that walk in the same league that signs guys like Brock and Fitz to their contracts imo says alot.

Fair enough, but at this very moment you have to agree that cousins has the better odds of turning into the better Qb, no?

38 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Fair enough, but at this very moment you have to agree that cousins has the better odds of turning into the better Qb, no?

Not at all. And given my incredible optimism on Glennon, let me say to you to think about it from this viewpoint. The Redskins have done everything correct in order to develop Kirk and provide him with the best possible opportunites, The Bucs did everything incorrect to develop Glennon and provide him with the best possible opportunites. 

1. Kirk was a 4th round pick that got to sit and learn for the most part of 3 seasons. Glennon was a 3rd round pick that was thrown into the fire by the 3rd game of his rookie season.

2. Kirk had the support of all of the HC's that walked into Washington as well as the front office and the Owner who drafted him. Glennon had a respectable rookie season, was named the starter by the HC that drafted him, but when Schiano was fired and replaced with Lovie Smith...Lovie decided that Josh McCown (coming off a solid season with the Bears) was a better option. He wasnt. Instead of Lovie admitting that and giving Glennon a chance he then decided to tank the season while still keeping Glennon on the bench in order to not ruin his opportunity at Jameis Winston...who is an overall better talent than Glennon so im not arguing that. 

3. Kirk was tagged in order to give him another opportunity to show if he's the guy. Basically the Redskins have literally invested in Kirk ever since drafting him and have paid him millions in order to give him every opportunity to be their franchise guy.  Glennon was regulated to the bench for 3 seasons by coaches that simply didnt want to use a QB that they either didnt bring in or draft...though when he got an opportunity to get into a game this season due to a Winston injury he went on to complete 10-11 passes with a TD and a 2pt conversion against the Falcons. This is the same Mike Glennon that has had a different OC every year in the league, including one year when his OC had to take a leave of absence in September due to family issues and didnt even implement the entire offense. 

4. Kirk has had every opportunity available to him to be the guy, yet we're sitting here talking about how he may actually be available after everything mentioned above. Glennon meanwhile has had everything possible happen to him, from OC's having to leave, to coming in as a pro during the two years that Doug Martin was injured, to having the worst Oline in the league, to having WR's that were top 10 in drops and dead last in the league in YAC on TD throws...and yet Mike Glennon has fans of his that have watched him and know the difference with his game. 

Im not saying that Kirk couldnt be better. I've said plenty of times that I see Glennon as a top 15 QB in the league, not elite or even top 10. However, for a guy like Glennon to get through all of that with the front office as well as lack of talent on the field and at the same time see how he's handled himself shows me that this is a guy that you want on your football team. Kirk has played well, but he's not clutch and he's had problems playing well and/or winning against the better teams in the league. Kirk Cousins has the physical talent and is athletically better than Glennon, but as a QB of my football team im picking Mike Glennon because I trust what my eyes have seen. Its more than just "talent". I've seen Glennon get DESTROYED in a few games given that Oline. I havent seen as much as a facial attitude from Glennon. The guy gets back up, taps his guys on top of the helmet, calls the next play and is at it again. The guy is ice f'ing cold bro. He also has that Eli Manning "shoulder roll" when throwing, knowning how to throw and protect himself at the same time in order to take the hit after the throw. This is why he's never been injured even with taking a beating....just like Eli Manning. 

Personally, I would rather sign someone who has lots of unknowns, than someone like Cousins who is probably not going to improve much more.  Yes, he could be Osweiller 2.0.  But you can't get rich buying IBM.  If you invest in a small company, you *might* get rich - even though most of them fail.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I don't know the maximum. I have said in the past that I wouldn't think twice about offering him 3 years 30 million right now. Since guys like Fitz can find a team that would offer 12 million then I'd say that my max for Glennon would be 3 years 36 million...basically a Fitz contract. 

To be clear, I think Fitz was grossly overpaid given that I made a 30 min video talking about how signing Fitz to a 7-10 million dollar contract was already ridiculous. So 12 million is more of a compliment to Glennon and how I see him than it is simply matching what we paid Fitz. 

Based on the market, if Fitz could get 12 and Brock 19, paying Glennon 12 is a sweet deal for both sides. 

How is it you can turn a direct question about Glennon and make it about Fitz.

Let's stay on topic shall we.

You're on record in the past saying Glennon would earn an "NFL Record" contract when he hit free agency, hence why I asked the question.

So now that the time is here, it's worth considering.  You say 3 years, 30 million, eh?  Is that your max, or would you go higher, longer?  

What if Glennon wants say, 4 years, 60 million.  Would you pay that?

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Don't think it will get it done.

If I'm the jets, and was high, but not certain on Glennon, I'd offer him the same kind of contract that Tampa gave Revis.

More then likely after the trash is thrown out next year the Jets will have a lot of cap space.  I'd over pay a bit on the hope that Glennon is the real deal.

5 one year contracts at 18 M each, with the Jets option to pick up the next year.  If Glennon believes in himself, it's a good deal, if he sucks Jets waste 18 M one year, and probably get an early pick in what's projected as a good QB draft with out long term cap damage

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

How is it you can turn a direct question about Glennon and make it about Fitz.

Let's stay on topic shall we.

You're on record in the past saying Glennon would earn an "NFL Record" contract when he hit free agency, hence why I asked the question.

So now that the time is here, it's worth considering.  You say 3 years, 30 million, eh?  Is that your max, or would you go higher, longer?  

What if Glennon wants say, 4 years, 60 million.  Would you pay that?

?

I answered your question, but since you didn't like the way I answered it then let me try it this way...

Sign Mike Glennon.

Oh, and I didn't just say 3 years 30 million in my last response. Maybe you didn't read the whole thing. 

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Don't think it will get it done.

If I'm the jets, and was high, but not certain on Glennon, I'd offer him the same kind of contract that Tampa gave Revis.

More then likely after the trash is thrown out next year the Jets will have a lot of cap space.  I'd over pay a bit on the hope that Glennon is the real deal.

5 one year contracts at 18 M each, with the Jets option to pick up the next year.  If Glennon believes in himself, it's a good deal, if he sucks Jets waste 18 M one year, and probably get an early pick in what's projected as a good QB draft with out long term cap damage

At the end of the day it depends on the market. It's not like he's in a situation like Brock where he's coming off playing some mediocre games on his way to a Superbowl ring and team(s) are severely over valuing him. 

Glennon is a guy who's not played consistently for a couple seasons and his team has been nowhere near the playoffs, let alone a Superbowl. All of these things I assume will not help him get a 17 million per season contract. And truth be told, only desperate teams do that. You give Glennon 3 years between 30-36 million with the majority of the guaranteed money given in the 1st year and you see if you made the right decision, and if so then you give him that franchise player contract.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

?

I answered your question, but since you didn't like the way I answered it then let me try it this way...

Sign Mike Glennon.

Oh, and I didn't just say 3 years 30 million in my last response. Maybe you didn't read the whole thing. 

A typo in a reply doesn't imply lack of understanding my friend.  Consider my previous post amended to "3 years, 36 million" to correctly state what you said.

And your answer was weighted down and muddled with irrelevant Fitz talk.  Keep fighting the last war if you like, but I don't think it's asking to much to get a direct answer to a direct question.

You said Glennon would get an NFL Record contract.  So with that having been said,  what if Glennon wants say, 4 years, 60 million.  Would you pay that?

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

At the end of the day it depends on the market. It's not like he's in a situation like Brock where he's coming off playing some mediocre games on his way to a Superbowl ring and team(s) are severely over valuing him. 

Glennon is a guy who's not played consistently for a couple seasons and his team has been nowhere near the playoffs, let alone a Superbowl. All of these things I assume will not help him get a 17 million per season contract. And truth be told, only desperate teams do that. You give Glennon 3 years between 30-36 million with the majority of the guaranteed money given in the 1st year and you see if you made the right decision, and if so then you give him that franchise player contract.

Schefter says Mike Glennon could get 13- 15 million per year next year in Fa.( erroneously posted 17-18 that a  Jet fan posted)     If Schefter correct would you sign Glennon for that amount?  what is your cutoff point per year that you wouldn't go past for Glennon?

10 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Schefter says Mike Glennon could get 13- 15 million per year next year in Fa.( erroneously posted 17-18 that a  Jet fan posted)     If Schefter correct would you sign Glennon for that amount?  what is your cutoff point per year that you wouldn't go past for Glennon?

Would not sign a QB that two regimes have no confidence in for pretty much any amount. There is no reason on earth why Glennon should get more than Hoyer money which was what? $2 million?

Teams needing a starting QB

Jets-49ers-Browns-Bears-Maybe Bills

4 teams. Glennons agent needs 2 of those teams to tango. Problem is if Taylor is let go he definitely takes one of those spots leaving 4 teams again. Browns have RG3, my guess with all the draft picks they have they're going with RG3 & will draft another QB. It's gonna be Watson or Trubisky. That's my guess. That leaves 3 teams. Bears 1st have to rid themselves of Cutler & I don't see them immediately filling that void with another question mark for 15 to 18 million dollars, another option for the Bears is to trade for Garapolo (no way they're giving up a high 1st) so it would have to be for their 2nd). He's a local kid I believe & would bring excitement to Chicago.

That leaves the 49ers & the Jets. If Taylor gets let go & Chip Kelly remains the coach I think Taylor would be their choice. In this scenario that would leave Jets & Bills. You would also have Jay Cutler on the market. I think the market for Glennon won't be a bidding war between 2 teams. 

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Teams needing a starting QB

Jets-49ers-Browns-Bears-Maybe Bills

4 teams. Glennons agent needs 2 of those teams to tango. Problem is if Taylor is let go he definitely takes one of those spots leaving 4 teams again. Browns have RG3, my guess with all the draft picks they have they're going with RG3 & will draft another QB. It's gonna be Watson or Trubisky. That's my guess. That leaves 3 teams. Bears 1st have to rid themselves of Cutler & I don't see them immediately filling that void with another question mark for 15 to 18 million dollars, another option for the Bears is to trade for Garapolo (no way they're giving up a high 1st) so it would have to be for their 2nd). He's a local kid I believe & would bring excitement to Chicago.

That leaves the 49ers & the Jets. If Taylor gets let go & Chip Kelly remains the coach I think Taylor would be their choice. In this scenario that would leave Jets & Bills. You would also have Jay Cutler on the market. I think the market for Glennon won't be a bidding war between 2 teams. 

Let's not forget that guys like Romo, Kaepernick, Fitz, and others will be on the market likely too. There will be QBs on the market for teams to sign. Just none of them are of the franchise variety. 

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

A typo in a reply doesn't imply lack of understanding my friend.  Consider my previous post amended to "3 years, 36 million" to correctly state what you said.

And your answer was weighted down and muddled with irrelevant Fitz talk.  Keep fighting the last war if you like, but I don't think it's asking to much to get a direct answer to a direct question.

You said Glennon would get an NFL Record contract.  So with that having been said,  what if Glennon wants say, 4 years, 60 million.  Would you pay that?

A typo implies whatever the typo represented before you confirmed that it was indeed a typo.

I answered your question directly. Not only did you retype it without the typo but then you ask me "what if" he wanted more than my max I've already given you and would I pay it? 

Wouldn't it be "muddy" to give you my max amount, then say that I would pay more than what I just said was my max?

I think your question is a bit muddy because the question itself ignores what my answer was the first time. 

Oh, and I didn't mention Fitz so this should be direct enough for you. ^_^

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

A typo implies whatever the typo represented before you confirming that it was indeed a typo.

No, it means I hit a "0" instead of a "6" when paraphrasing your answer.  Nothing more, nothing less, I typo alot mate.  Reading more into it borders on paranoid delusion.

I answered your question directly.

No sir, you did not.  I asked you if Glennon wanted 4 years, 60 million, would you support that.  You have thus far failed to answer that question.

If 3 years, 36 is indeed your max, then a direct answer is VERY easy.  You'd just type "nope, too much".

The fact you don't is, in it's own way, an answer itself.  

Oh, and I didn't mention Fitz so this should be direct enough for you. ^_^

:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, it means I hit a "0" instead of a "6" when paraphrasing your answer.  Nothing more, nothing less, I typo alot mate.  Reading more into it borders on paranoid delusion.

No sir, you did not.  I asked you if Glennon wanted 4 years, 60 million, would you support that.  You have thus far failed to answer that question.

If 3 years, 36 is indeed your max, then a direct answer is VERY easy.  You'd just type "nope, too much".

The fact you don't is, in it's own way, an answer itself.  

:rolleyes:

You asked me my max and I told you, then you ask about numbers over the max. 

That's just stupid 

I'm done. :D

Silly to talk about signing a top free agent QB until Jets fix O-line, coaching, and defensive scheme.  An expensive QB contract will be a distraction and a cap failure if the more basic work doesn't get done first. 

There simply isn't a magic QB answer that fixes this team's ills. 

You asked me my max and I told you, then you ask about numbers over the max. 

That's just stupid 

I'm done. :D

And you've now wasted multiple posts when "nope, too much" was the easy response.

Asking the sites #1 Glennon Fanboi if he really meant it when he stated his maximum, when he gave a number far smaller than his previously mentioned "NFL Record Contract" comment, is hardly unwarranted Villian.  So you were either wrong when you said he'd get an NFL Record Contract, or you're hedging on what your maximum supported contract is now, because your support for signing him is absolutely clear.

It's a forum, we have discussions.  That generally works better when you're actually willing to enagage and do so honestly, not this odd deflect thing you do so regularly.  

8 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

I wouldn't pay over 12. I'd start negotiations at 10 and give a 2 million cushion. My max was 12 mill per. 

Archived