Jets OC Chan Gailey fuels speculation about future with cryptic remark

Gas2No99

8 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

You like to  to think Gailey was a good offensive coordinator, but who told him to run an offense with no TE?  Apparently he thought that Enunwa could be an H back and a TE is unnecessary.  Didn't work out.

You play with the Players you are provided and who gives you the best chance to win  . The TEs we went to training camp with were garbage. We have tried all yr to upgrade that position but doing it that way without the benefit of a training camp gives you the results we have .

Provided the new guys return, rest assured, the TE position is now a strength .

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This will officially become the quiet version of the Rex era if Gailey gets dumped and we retain all of Bowles lousy buddy assistants.

I got railroad tickets for :

Kacy Rodgers  -   DC

Pepper Johnson   -  DL Coach

Jimmie Johnson   -   TE coach 

Joe Dana  -  DB coach

The defense has been the big investment every year. Every. Year.

We took an ILB instead of a QB in round 1. Gailey isn't the problem. The disparity of investment is.

And the defense. Getting the lion's share of investment should be where the firing begins. Not arguing that Gailey is valuable, just that if he becomes the fall guy, and no other measures are taken ... then it's another gross example of this franchise flipping fans off.

4 hours ago, Dinamite said:

It will be somewhat surprising if he gets fired because it hurts Hackenberg's development (continuity - sepnt whole year learning this system, etc).

Nevertheless, if he gets fired or retires, there are two intriguing options.

1- MikeMcCoy - SD head coach will liekley be fired.  He was a great OC before hand.

2- Norv Turner - Not head coach material, but solid OC.

**** man, I'd take Norv as s head coach at this point. He might be able to bring Wade Phillips with him. His contract with Denver is expiring. Better than this mess.

14 hours ago, Dinamite said:

It will be somewhat surprising if he gets fired because it hurts Hackenberg's development (continuity - sepnt whole year learning this system, etc).

1- MikeMcCoy - SD head coach will liekley be fired.  He was a great OC before hand.

I agree with you on McCoy, but doubt he gets fired. Had Rivers and Manning as his QB's, don't know how he is with young guys. Good mind though. 

I feel so-so about Chan. I think he's smart and he draws up a good gameplan. I think the players like him and he's good at figuring out how to play towards a player or teams strength and I also think he works well with QBs like Fitz, most of the time...

But sometimes he calls plays that leave me scratching my head... I am not a football expert at all, but sometimes watching the games I can guess the play before it happens. And I don't just mean "this will be a run", I mean I can look and say "Oh this is probably a run off tackle to the right again", and then it happens... He's gotten way too predictable this year, and I don't think he's been able to keep up.

That's hardly his fault with all the QB and injury turnover... But I feel like he often goes to the well too much for certain plays and players... I think he could stand to be more imaginative...

That's what makes a different OC kind of appealing. We have visions of an OC that can bring some excitement back to the offense instead of a sort of 'steady as she goes' approach that Chan uses. 

15 hours ago, Dinamite said:

Would love Norv as OC.  I think he was always good at that (though if he fails people will say that he was a dinosaur and we should've seen this coming).  Btw, I don't really have any issue w/ Chan.  Our O just plain isn't that good (QB and OL issues plus our #1 WR has the dropsies).  Jet fans blaming the OC is a regular occurrence though.  When is the last time Jet fans like our OC?  Probably not post-2000.  Maybe Charlie Weis under Parcells?

I hope the Jets don't fire Chan Gailey , because I think he's doing a fine Job developing this guy as his successor .  This guy has been doing more and more as the year went by on the sidelines with the QBs, and relaying what Gailey calls from the booth  .  With this group of QBs, continuity is very important .

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches/kevin-patullo/58097814-b823-42dc-b872-24b42be2a6fc

56 minutes ago, section314 said:

Giving the Specials coach a pass? So unlike you.......

We hired him last yr after firing his predecessor  .  3 special teams coaches in 3 years is unwise especially when most of the mistakes were made by rookies, UDFAs or coaching decisions when the kicker was asked to make an extremely long kick .  

16 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I hope the Jets don't fire Chan Gailey , because I think he's doing a fine Job developing this guy as his successor .  This guy has been doing more and more as the year went by on the sidelines with the QBs, and relaying what Gailey calls from the booth  .  With this group of QBs, continuity is very important .

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coaches/kevin-patullo/58097814-b823-42dc-b872-24b42be2a6fc

Like Brady being in the same system for the last 17 years??:)

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

**** man, I'd take Norv as s head coach at this point. He might be able to bring Wade Phillips with him. His contract with Denver is expiring. Better than this mess.

How about Wade as HC/DC and Norv as OC.  I'd be more than fine with that.

I am going out a little deeper than my earlier post out here.  

If the Jets fire Chan Gailey based primarily on the horrific play of Fitz Bowles should be let go.  Why?

Because it will be a good tacit admission that Bowles is totally clueless.  Think the initial question appears to be what would a new OC bring to the Jets.

But the better question is what would a new OC have provided with Fitz at the helm this year that Chan didn't? that is the key question.

Answer........ Nothing!!!!

No other OC in my mind could have done a better job of covering Fitz' weaknesses because Chan knew Fitz best and was giving him a chance to play to his limited strengths. The idea that Chan was somehow holding Fitz back is preposterous!!!!

IMO if Chan goes so should Bowles!!!

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

If the Jets fire Chan Gailey based primarily on the horrific play of Fitz Bowles should be let go.  Why?

Because it will be a good tacit admission that Bowles is totally clueless.  Think what would a new OC bring but rather what would a new OC have provided with Fitz at the helm, that is the key question?

No other OC in my mind could have done a better job of covering Fitz' weaknesses because Chan knew Fitz best and was giving him a chance to play to his limited strengths. The idea that Chan wa somehow holding Fitz back is preposterous!!!!

You know it is possible that Fitz could suck, and Gailey did a bad job right? These are not mutually exclusive. In fact, Fitz had a much worse season then his average NFL season, Gailey gets no blame for that? They both suck IMO and should both be gone.

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How about Wade as HC/DC and Norv as OC.  I'd be more than fine with that.

Either/or. I don't buy into the "they failed elsewhere, they'll fail here" jargon. I look at it like this, the Jets are a testing ground for inexperienced head coaches. They have shown, over and over, that they do not know how to identify and promote coordinators to HC, and have them be successful. So, hire a coach with experience. At least the environment will be controlled. Then flood the roster with as much talent as possible, and hope sh*t breaks right for us. 

The merry-go-round of coaches learning on the job is absurd. 

Wade Phillips routinely builds some of the most aggressive, successful defenses in football. He uses players the right way. He won the SB last year, and went through 3 of the best offenses in football to do it. Pair him with Norv, and see what happens... it better than keeping Bowles or firing Bowles and hiring another unproven at this point.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

You know it is possible that Fitz could suck, and Gailey did a bad job right? These are not mutually exclusive. In fact, Fitz had a much worse season then his average NFL season, Gailey gets no blame for that? They both suck IMO and should both be gone.

I hear you and see what you are saying I also agree that Chan could have been better, and been more creative this year but....

What do you think that Chan could have actually done better this year since the numerous tape break downs out here show play after play after play after play of Fitz making the wrong decisions!! That is not in the OC!!

And many of those decisions cost us scores or potential scores.  

People say Fitz after the KC games got better and they cite his INT ration. Well no he didn't get better all he did was continue to miss the correct open WR and often settle for the check downs.  That is why for example completion percentage alone can be misleading. 

FIItz consistently made the wrong reads and turned the ball over at the worst times this year.  Don't believe me, Chad Pennington makes some of the same points I do here and more on his lastest blog entry at the Jets site.  

Indeed Chad went further and said that the Jets poor QB play in effect hurt the defense and that is why the defense underperformed.  I thought that too but it was the first time I saw a quality observer make that point And I will not go into that here.  

But we all saw what Chan did with a mediocre QB last year, in setting all kinds of Jets records for scores and such and the only thing different was Fitz' play.  Yes the defenses were better but as Pennington said in his critique Fitz often wasn't playing what was in front of him but rather his expectations about having a high powered offense .

Take a listen:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/audio/Listen-The-EA-Podcast-with-Chad-Pennington/c3e6bd23-f09d-40a7-8ea4-372e4f08c948

So the Jets can get rid of Chan if they want to but that doesn't mean we will be better unless the OL improves and we get at least passable play from the QB position, Period.  

It is now simple you can not win in today's NFL with subpar QB play. 

But to be fair here is a link to an article that agrees with you :)

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jets-need-to-replace-chan-gailey-for-2017-123016

6 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Maybe figured out a way to actually use a Tight End?

That is a very fair critique, no team was worst at throwing to the TEs this year and it wasn't even close!!

OK now which TE do you think on the Jets were underutilized based upon ability?

I tend to think that Chan used the big "E" instead of the poor receiving TE we have on the roster....

What do you think?

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Because it will be a good tacit admission that Bowles is totally clueless.  Think the initial question appears to be what would a new OC bring to the Jets.

But the better question is what would a new OC have provided with Fitz at the helm this year that Chan didn't? that is the key question.

No other OC in my mind could have done a better job of covering Fitz' weaknesses because Chan knew Fitz best and was giving him a chance to play to his limited strengths. The idea that Chan was somehow holding Fitz back is preposterous!!!!

I don't think either should be fired at this point. There are certainly some aspects to Bowles as a HC I dislike - being too conservative , not knowing when to use TO's , or going on 4th down etc...  but  I've come to my own conclusion that the major issue on this team is the lack of leadership or misplaced leadership from our veteran players. Its time to purge the locker room of the country club Rex mentality and let a new set of younger leaders rule the roost.

49 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I hear you and see what you are saying I also agree that Chan could have been better, and been more creative this year but....

What do you think that Chan could have actually done better this year since the numerous tape break downs out here show play after play after play after play of Fitz making the wrong decisions!! That is not in the OC!!

People say Fitz after the KC games got better and they cite his INT ration. Well no he didn't get better all he did was continue to miss the correct open WR and often settle for the check downs.  That is why for example completion percentage alone can be misleading. 

FIItz consistently made the wrong reads and turned the ball over at the worst times this year.  Don't believe me, Chad Pennington makes some of the same points I do here and more on his lastest blog entry at the Jets site.  

Indeed Chad went further and said that the Jets poor QB play in effect hurt the defense and that is why the defense underperformed.  I thought that too but it was the first time I saw a quality observer make that point And I will not go into that here.  

But we all saw what Chan did with a mediocre QB last year, in setting all kinds of Jets records for scores and such and the only thing different was Fitz' play.  Yes the defenses were better but as Pennington said in his critique Fitz often wasn't playing what was in front of him but rather his expectations about having a high powered offense .

Take a listen:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/audio/Listen-The-EA-Podcast-with-Chad-Pennington/c3e6bd23-f09d-40a7-8ea4-372e4f08c948

So the Jets can get rid of Chan if they want to but that doesn't mean we will be better unless the OL improves and we get at least passable play from the QB position, Period.  

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jets-need-to-replace-chan-gailey-for-2017-123016

Great post.

We had our own JetNation film study threads here showing just that. Before the snap, the D shows where we think the coverage will be, after it's snapped it's just where you'd think, and our QB still targets the area where he should have expected tight coverage, outright missing wide open receivers for big gains because he was so focused just on the read he should have looked off from the get go.  Or even when the correct read was made at the line, the WR's wide open, and he just flat out misses him by 5 yards. Or even if all was diagnosed and thrown properly from Fitz, and Marshall/Enunwa/other simply dropped a well (or well enough) thrown pass. 

In each of those cases, the play drawn up and called was sound (if not perfect). To the casual observer it looks like garbage.

There were a lot of maddening situational calls, though. Too many 1st down runs up the gut for nothing, due to too much exclusive reliance upon Forte (especially that first month-plus) until he finally just broke down. I realize they're just different backs, but Powell not once seeing over 4 carries in a single game until week 10 vs Cleveland (6 carries, lol) wasn't pleasant to watch. The only thing I like less than picking up an 31 y.o. RB on a new contract is doing so and then feeding him >80% of the carries until he was finally more or less sidelined. 

Gailey had plenty of plays where the guys on the field made him look worse than he was, but he was quite far from perfect himself.

I don't know that so much is gained by firing him. Not because he's so great, but because of the situation with the roster and with Bowles himself.

Bowles:

• If he survives the season, it's just barely.
  • MM is surely going to make some offseason changes, so we can expect an improvement just because it's so easy to improve upon rock bottom. But if the improvement isn't enough, and there are still obvious disciplinary issues right in the pubic eye, he won't be the HC in 2018.
  • What really good OC is going to sign up for that, unless he felt he was going to be in the driver's seat for to replace him? Not to mention, the roster he'll have to work with:

Roster:

• nothing but fingers to cross at QB on the roster now;
  • no clear cut QB to draft, and if/when 1 or 2 eventually rise in the offseason, we won't be in a position to draft one come April. Again.
  • Old FA QB rumors of Tony Romo, who has barely played since 2014, and who may get injured using his turn signal while driving to Florham Park for OTAs, or Jay Cutler (whose only league-leading stats in his career include interceptions, twice, and sacks taken; has never fully posted a 2:1 TD:INT ratio or greater even once in his career)
  • a (to be) 32 yr old Forte locked in by guarantee; 29 yr old Powell (also locked in) looked really good this year but it's hardly known that would last if he was suddenly given the bulk of the carries from week 1; and Robinson can't stay healthy for more than 5 minutes;
  • no TE except the drunk who, talent aside, so far really stinks & looks slow even for a TE;
  • no FB on the roster at all;
  • possible cuts of one or both of the only 2 established WRs on the team (and 1 of which still has an unknown timetable to return to 100% after missing basically the entire season);
  • good WR depth behind them, but they're used to more prominent ones taking the heat off them;
  • no LT;
  • a fat older center who's no longer the great+reliable rock he was, and who may be a cap cut at $9m;
  • no RG under contract;
  • a (to be) 2nd yr RT that looks ok so far (but so did Wayne Hunter at the end of the 2010 season)
  • the defense sucks, so you'll get little to no help from the other side of the ball. Same with special teams, who seem to truly enjoy fumbling returns nearly as much as they love returning kicks & punts for low yardage.

Really, what worthwhile OC is running right over here for quite possibly just 1 year to work with this mess before getting thrown out with the bathwater in early 2018?

That is a very fair critique, no team was worst at throwing to the TEs this year and it wasn't even close!!
OK now which TE do you think on the Jets were underutilized based upon ability?
I tend to think that Chan used the big "E" instead of the poor receiving TE we have on the roster....
What do you think?

I think we cut all the TEs with any receiving capabilities in the pre season! Just pathetic!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Take a listen:

With all due respect to all of the internet experts we have here, its virtually impossible to judge fault on a particular play from a video tape analysis, outside of a QB making an off target pass, and even then at times it is on the WR.  An NFL offense is extremely complicated, with multiple reads by the line, the QB, the WR's and the RB's on every play. In addition, we have no idea how the play is being coached. Its easy to look on a film and say hey, that guy is wide open, WTF is wrong with the QB. Fitzpatrick sucks, and he is a terribly inaccurate and inconsistent QB, but again, he played well below is career numbers this year. The offense as a whole was awful, the line, the QB, the WR's, and the play calling. Look at the play that got Petty hurt. The Cheaters knew EXACTLY what the Jets were going to run there. Now, they may have been cheating, but its far more likely that they know exactly what Gaileys predictable tendencies are. So many times the Defense knows exactly what we are going to run. That puts the line, the WR's and the QB at a terrible disadvantage. 

Even last year, Gailey was terrible IMO. We played way too many games close that there was no need to. The offense was clicking last year and he held them back with his conservative approach and his predictable play calling. The guy is a dinosaur, and there is a reason he was out of the NFL when he wanted to be coaching.

2 hours ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Maybe figured out a way to actually use a Tight End?

Did he have 1 that he could use ? The best TE on the roster is a guy we picked up on the scrap heap after his team cut him because he was drunk  supposedly .  He used what he had, and he had a nice bunch of WRs . Problem is his QB sucked and his OL fell apart . The guy did the best he could with what he had . The defensive coordinator and the defensive play caller(Bowles) on the other hand, sucked . Heads need to roll on that side of the ball both from players and coaches  

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Take a listen:

Maybe one of the better football related posts I've read in a long ass time.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't know that so much is gained by firing him. Not because he's so great, but because of the situation with the roster and with Bowles himself.

Bowles:

• If he survives the season, it's just barely.
  • MM is surely going to make some offseason changes, so we can expect an improvement just because it's so easy to improve upon rock bottom. But if the improvement isn't enough, and there are still obvious disciplinary issues right in the pubic eye, he won't be the HC in 2018.
  • What really good OC is going to sign up for that, unless he felt he was going to be in the driver's seat for to replace him? Not to mention, the roster he'll have to work with:

Roster:

• nothing but fingers to cross at QB on the roster now;
  • no clear cut QB to draft, and if/when 1 or 2 eventually rise in the offseason, we won't be in a position to draft one come April. Again.
  • Old FA QB rumors of Tony Romo, who has barely played since 2014, and who may get injured using his turn signal while driving to Florham Park for OTAs, or Jay Cutler (whose only league-leading stats in his career include interceptions, twice, and sacks taken; has never fully posted a 2:1 TD:INT ratio or greater even once in his career)
  • a (to be) 32 yr old Forte locked in by guarantee; 29 yr old Powell (also locked in) looked really good this year but it's hardly known that would last if he was suddenly given the bulk of the carries from week 1; and Robinson can't stay healthy for more than 5 minutes;
  • no TE except the drunk who, talent aside, so far really stinks & looks slow even for a TE;
  • no FB on the roster at all;
  • possible cuts of one or both of the only 2 established WRs on the team (and 1 of which still has an unknown timetable to return to 100% after missing basically the entire season);
  • good WR depth behind them, but they're used to more prominent ones taking the heat off them;
  • no LT;
  • a fat old center who's no longer the reliable rock he was, and who may be a cap cut at $9m;
  • no RG under contract;
  • a (to be) 2nd yr RT that looks ok so far (but so did Wayne Hunter at the end of the 2010 season)
  • the defense sucks, so you'll get little to no help from the other side of the ball. Same with special teams, who seem to truly enjoy fumbling returns nearly as much as they love returning kicks & punts for low yardage.

Really, what worthwhile OC is running right over here for quite possibly just 1 year to work with this mess before getting thrown out with the bathwater in early 2018?

Probably why both stay. Nobody sensible is signing up for the inevitable housecleaning week 17 next year. Really do wish it were otherwise, but I don't see that. 

Would at least like to see or hear there are gonna be serious changes in how they do things . Too casual, too much la di da, lack of urgency, runs straight up the middle every most 1st and 2nd downs.Really feels like series after series is a give up .If you put any QB in 3rd and long most series it won't end well. Is there a hurry up offense? Dos anyone have a signal from the booth on replays, like THROW THE RED FLAG from the booth rather than Bowles listlessly looking at the jumbotron?Or does anyone signal the QB in the headset to get to the line NOW to run a play before the opposition throws the red flag? 12 men on the field; watched a lot of Pop Warner, high school and college football the last few years; how is it you do not see that stuff at lower levels yet it's a weekly thing with the jets? Timeouts, clock management and general game situational awareness are nonexistent across the board. Think the Jets look very often like the most poorly-run team in the NFL. It's as if the franchise collectively learned nothing from the Ryan Error.  

7 hours ago, Bugg said:

Probably why both stay. Nobody sensible is signing up for the inevitable housecleaning week 17 next year. Really do wish it were otherwise, but I don't see that. 

Would at least like to see or hear there are gonna be serious changes in how they do things . Too casual, too much la di da, lack of urgency, runs straight up the middle every most 1st and 2nd downs.Really feels like series after series is a give up .If you put any QB in 3rd and long most series it won't end well. Is there a hurry up offense? Dos anyone have a signal from the booth on replays, like THROW THE RED FLAG from the booth rather than Bowles listlessly looking at the jumbotron?Or does anyone signal the QB in the headset to get to the line NOW to run a play before the opposition throws the red flag? 12 men on the field; watched a lot of Pop Warner, high school and college football the last few years; how is it you do not see that stuff at lower levels yet it's a weekly thing with the jets? Timeouts, clock management and general game situational awareness are nonexistent across the board. Think the Jets look very often like the most poorly-run team in the NFL. It's as if the franchise collectively learned nothing from the Ryan Error.  

It's been disturbing, no doubt.

There's certainly plenty that's not right during practices. Like when a borderline HOF, veteran WR boast about how they just had the best week of practice since joining the team - and he'd surely know a good week of practices from a bad one after all his years in the league - and they look like the same total dog**** coached team as any bad week before.

Something isn't right, and I don't think anyone on this team - from the FO to the CS - has any answers. All they have going for them are that sometimes there are super-easy opponents on the schedule, or ones that take the Jets lightly as opponents of their own.

It'll be interesting to find out, some years later when it all gets leaked, whether Gailey was the one pushing hard for Fitz to start or if he wanted one of the lesser-experienced but obviously more talented QBs in there, with the hope things would eventually click. I suspect Gailey was for it, but it's no slam dunk. Could be Bowles just taking the pulse of the team's veterans, since he's no leader himself, and passing this desire onto his GM (who stupidly listened, since he doesn't seem to know any better either).

Team is such a mess.

Bowles should be fired because he refused to bench Revis and Fitz when it was clear they were hurting the team with their poor play.  Allowing Potsy and Muhammed to be late for meetings without nipping it in the bud was also on him.  However, Bowles will not be fired.  He will be given every chance to succeed or fail.

Archived