Report: Jets set to Interview Eric Studesville for Vacant OC Position

JetNation

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

So IF  we were to hire this guy then it is reasonable to assume that we would be going to the Rex "ground and pound" days again? 

SO then we would be drafting Fournette or Cook and killing any chance of finding a modern era QB.... FML.

IMO, that would not be reasonable to assume.  The press leaks about Bowles wanting a more conservative offense lean that way.  Maybe.  Not drafting a QB in the first round this year sure has sh*t has very little to do with our chances of "finding a modern era QB."  but FYL anyway.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

If he's hired you can all but kiss Hack's chance at a revival goodbye.  I'm that kids biggest fan but this would be the nail in the f*cking coffin of any shred of hope that we could fix him.  I said it earlier, this would be the equivalent to hiring Tony f*cking Sparano in Mark Sanchez's "make or break" year as a starter in 2012. 

tl;dr next season is nearly eight months away, but it's already not Hackenberg's fault if he sucks 

Woe is our QBs.  

When the Giants drafted Eli, their OC was John Hufnagel, some nut from the CFL ( @Beerfish help us out?)  Hufnagel got the job because he had been a QB coach with Peyton and Brady for a year each after they were already established.  His actual QB coaching involved "developing" Tim Couch who actually improved greatly when he left.  When the Steelers drafted Roethlisberger, they developed him under Whisenhunt.  I'm sure you guys think that was genius.  Problem with that is that Whisenhunt was a TE and nothing but a special teams or TE coach until that season.  How dare they entrust their delicate flower to such adversity! Bill Musgrave is a hack and the Raiders dumped him just so the Jets couldn't poach their QB coach for OC, yet you guys would be happy with him because... Derek Carr.  

22 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Let's consider that he gets the job.    I think he was the RB coach in Denver with Clady and maybe even with B.Marshall.   Does he make an argument to retain those players?  It may make sense to retain Clady for one year at least, until we draft and develop a new OT.  That is, I can see the jets drafting a tackle in the second/third round, and sitting him behind clady for a a year.   

Consider that he was RB coach in Denver when the dumped Clady and Marshall because they weren't worth the money/headache.  Everybody you ever coached/worked with is not your friend.  You hate some of those ****ers.

15 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So we get to be the guinea pig for this science experiment?

Him being well respected means absolutely nothing. It just means he's a smart, hard working RB coach. There is nothing in his resume that he will be able to out game plan other teams DC's. 

We are already employing bowles who's still a question mark as HC. We have a DC that's turned a really good defense into a dumpster fire and now you think it may be a good idea to bring a first time OC?

Yeah, no thanks. I'll only support this move because it will likely lead to a 2 win season, the firing off bowles and the chance to draft a franchise QB.

We haven't had a good defense since 2010.

10 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I know. Usually the guys who have been in the league for decades, unknown, unmentioned, working in obscurity, never mentioned as a a guy who should be on any short lists, and Stuck coaching the Modern NFL Equivalent of a horse and buggy driver.... THOSE are the solid credentials you want in an up and comer, especially if he's been silently up and coming for years....lol

Like in all too many businesses, the stagnant name-guys with 30-years of 2-years experience are the ones that are continually recycled.

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Woe is our QBs.  

When the Giants drafted Eli, their OC was John Hufnagel, some nut from the CFL ( @Beerfish help us out?)  Hufnagel got the job because he had been a QB coach with Peyton and Brady for a year each after they were already established.  His actual QB coaching involved "developing" Tim Couch who actually improved greatly when he left.  When the Steelers drafted Roethlisberger, they developed him under Whisenhunt.  I'm sure you guys think that was genius.  Problem with that is that Whisenhunt was a TE and nothing but a special teams or TE coach until that season.  How dare they entrust their delicate flower to such adversity! Bill Musgrave is a hack and the Raiders dumped him just so the Jets couldn't poach their QB coach for OC, yet you guys would be happy with him because... Derek Carr.  

John Hufnagel is still in the CFL and has been one of the best coaches and gms over the last 10-15 years.  He's a good football man but like Trestman (who was also great up here and Hugh Campbell) theirs style didn't translate well to the NFL.  Tom Clements is also a CFL guy.

15 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

We haven't had a good defense since 2010.

LMAO

We gave up the 4th fewest points last season (only Denver, houston, seattle  were better than us). 

We were ranked 6th in 2014, ranked 11th in 2013, 8th in 2012 and 5th in 2011. 

You're one of those that think a good defense is the 1986 Bears. This is 2017 where every decent QB throws for 4,000 yards. So while it may not appear to you that we have had good defenses the last 7 years, the only reason why we have had any success over those years was because our defense was one of the best in the NFL. It certainly wasn't because of Geno/Sanchez. 

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

LMAO

We gave up the 4th fewest points last season (only Denver, houston, seattle  were better than us). 

You're one of those that think a good defense is the 1986 Bears. This is 2017 where every decent QB throws for 4,000 yards. So while it may not appear to you that we have had good defenses the last 7 years, the only reason why we have had any success over those years was because our defense was one of the best in the NFL. It certainly wasn't because of Geno/Sanchez. 

In any era, aren't the best defenses the ones that give up the fewest points?

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

LMAO

I think your looking at total yards against which I could give 2 sh*ts about, I'm interested in PPG.

2015 7th

2014 24th

2013 20th

2012 20th

2011 19th

So our best year since 2010 was Bowles first year against the easiest schedule in the history of the game, like I said our defense hasn't been good since 2010.

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I think your looking at total yards against which I could give 2 sh*ts about, I'm interested in PPG.

2015 7th

2014 24th

2013 20th

2012 20th

2011 19th

So our best year since 2010 was Bowles first year against the easiest schedule in the history of the game, like I said our defense hasn't been good since 2010.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think you're wrong. I was looking at total points against. Or is there some other Metric you prefer? 

You were looking at yards against those are the Jets rankings for PPG.

Story here is that this guy has been in the league for a while now.  Never had the shot to be an OC.  Just like the Jets, we always have to be the 1st team to give the guy a shot.  Hope for the best, but everyone knows this just won't work out.    Fine I guess if it lands us a top pick.

27 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

2015 7th

2014 24th

2013 20th

2012 20th

2011 19th

7th was good. Stop with the easy schedule nonsense. If you are going criticize for poor play than give credit for good play. All teams have soft schedules from time to time.

21 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Story here is that this guy has been in the league for a while now.  Never had the shot to be an OC.  Just like the Jets, we always have to be the 1st team to give the guy a shot.  Hope for the best, but everyone knows this just won't work out.    Fine I guess if it lands us a top pick.

Why? Because it's the Jets?

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I know, whining on the board has become annoying. 

Dont get me wrong. It could absolutely suck, but "everybody knows it will be bad?"

He hasn't even gotten the job yet.

I just think the Jets fan instant reaction is that "Why would anybody want to come here and if they do they must suck"

Even for Jets fans, it's really something special to see such hissy fits thrown over an interview.  Forget even the point of nobody here knowing sh*t about the guy, he was a friggin' interviewee, that's it.  Do you know how many sh*tty interviews occur for pretty much every job that has ever existed?

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Dont get me wrong. It could absolutely suck, but "everybody knows it will be bad?"

He hasn't even gotten the job yet.

I just think the Jets fan instant reaction is that "Why would anybody want to come here and if they do they must suck"

Nah, I just want someone that has a track record of running a successful offense and/or developing a young QB. I'd be happier if we fired Bowles and hired this guy as the HC and then hired a top notch OC. 

Either way, I won't lose much sleep since i don't have high hopes for Hack under Bowles and I want this team to tank for Darnold. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Nah, I just want someone that has a track record of running a successful offense and/or developing a young QB. I'd be happier if we fired Bowles and hired this guy as the HC and then hired a top notch OC. 

Either way, I won't lose much sleep since i don't have high hopes for Hack under Bowles and I want this team to tank for Darnold. 

Which is understandable. Already they have tried to interview the Eagles QB coach and the Raiders QB coach. The Eagles denied access and the Raiders promoted theirs to OC.

Add another OC with NO OC experience? Sure why not. He will fit in great with the other nitwits on this staff, especially the head nitwit Todd Bowles. When you look at who is lining up for the Jets staff jobs you can easily see that Woody Johnson made a huge mistake not firing Bowles this year. He is going to have to either extend his contract next year or fire him. Woody never lets his HC coach in the final year of a contract. If Woody had fired Bowles we could be looking at Norv Turner or Mike McCoy or any one of the several OC's out there looking for a HC job. 

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

Add another OC with NO OC experience? Sure why not. He will fit in great with the other nitwits on this staff, especially the head nitwit Todd Bowles. When you look at who is lining up for the Jets staff jobs you can easily see that Woody Johnson made a huge mistake not firing Bowles this year. He is going to have to either extend his contract next year or fire him. Woody never lets his HC coach in the final year of a contract. If Woody had fired Bowles we could be looking at Norv Turner or Mike McCoy or any one of the several OC's out there looking for a HC job. 

If he had fired Bowles this year, we would have trouble hiring a HC. Firing Bowles doesn't increase the attractiveness of the job

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

If he had fired Bowles this year, we would have trouble hiring a HC. Firing Bowles doesn't increase the attractiveness of the job

I disagree. If you fired Bowles,  you could have brought in just about anyone you wanted. There are always guys looking for a HC job. There aren't many in the NFL. On the other hand, landing an OC job for a lame duck HC with ZERO QB is just about as bad a situation as you can find. Who wants to take over an offense doomed to fail knowing that you will likely get fired at the end of the year and have this lousy season on  your resume? That's why we are settling on RB coaches...

Either way, I think the plan was to give Bowles one last chance to work a miracle. And when he doesn't, we will be in position to draft 1  next year and land a franchise QB. There will be candidates knocking down our door to coach Darnold for the next decade.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I disagree. If you fired Bowles,  you could have brought in just about anyone you wanted. There are always guys looking for a HC job. There aren't many in the NFL. On the other hand, landing an OC job for a lame duck HC with ZERO QB is just about as bad a situation as you can find. Who wants to take over an offense doomed to fail knowing that you will likely get fired at the end of the year and have this lousy season on  your resume? That's why we are settling on RB coaches...

Either way, I think the plan was to give Bowles one last chance to work a miracle. And when he doesn't, we will be in position to draft 1  next year and land a franchise QB. There will be candidates knocking down our door to coach Darnold for the next decade.

The only options for 2017 are a Bowles miracle or #1 overall?  I think you are oversimplifying things.  I would bet that neither of those things happen.

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The only options for 2017 are a Bowles miracle or #1 overall?  I think you are oversimplifying things.  I would bet that neither of those things happen.

Bowles miracle equals Playoffs or #1 overall. The last thing this franchise needs is an 6-10 or 8-8 type season unless it somehow corresponds to the emergence of Hackenberg or someone else a long term franchise QB. 

37 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eric Studesville is absolutely not qualified to be offensive coordinator.  We should have hired Mike Westhoff to be head coach and run a 4-3.

You don't know the first thing about Studesville, and Westoff is a very good analyst, not sure about his HC qualifications.

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Tough man

Before 2006 I whined elsewhere.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bowles miracle equals Playoffs or #1 overall. The last thing this franchise needs is an 6-10 or 8-8 type season unless it somehow corresponds to the emergence of Hackenberg or someone else a long term franchise QB. 

IMO, they are most likely going to go 6-10 without the emergence of a long term franchise QB

Archived