Report: Jets set to Interview Eric Studesville for Vacant OC Position

JetNation

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I disagree. If you fired Bowles,  you could have brought in just about anyone you wanted. There are always guys looking for a HC job. There aren't many in the NFL. On the other hand, landing an OC job for a lame duck HC with ZERO QB is just about as bad a situation as you can find. Who wants to take over an offense doomed to fail knowing that you will likely get fired at the end of the year and have this lousy season on  your resume? That's why we are settling on RB coaches...

Either way, I think the plan was to give Bowles one last chance to work a miracle. And when he doesn't, we will be in position to draft 1  next year and land a franchise QB. There will be candidates knocking down our door to coach Darnold for the next decade.

This is where it gets complicated.  

The Jets were damned if they did, damned if they did not.

If they fired Bowles, other HCs would not want to coach the Jets because Woody would be perceived as having a quick trigger.  So he was retained for another year, with the possibllity of  (i) a similar season or worse, fire Bowles and staff and get high draft pick or (ii) Bowles turns it around, Hack and other draft picks start playing well and Bowles gets an extension.

But will all thought that in order to make (ii) work, Gailey would need to revert to 2015 form, maybe giving Patullo more responsibility, or maybe even Patullo getting promoted.   Bowles would then focus on the defense, maybe even replacing Rodgers.  I never thought that the Jets path to improvement in 2017 with Bowles coaching involved replacing Gailey AND finding someone externally, with potentially a new system to replace him.

I am curious as to who takes the OC job, but to me what the Jags have done makes alot more sense than what the Jets are doing.  I think the decisions Woody is making and the way he has structured the team is going to literally run it into the ground.  Unfortunately, it will not only provide the fans with a bad experience, but players will have their careers are lives irreversibly affected adversely.  Macc needs to do something to take control of this mess.

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

COUGH the OC needs to be someone who can take Bowles' job mid-season when he's fired because God knows Kacy Rodgers can't do it COUGH

This is really the only way the Jets will get a candidate of any quality; if the man comes in here determined to undermine Bowles and take his job. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

The only options for 2017 are a Bowles miracle or #1 overall?  I think you are oversimplifying things.  I would bet that neither of those things happen.

They are the only options if you would consider any finish better than worst in the league to be a Bowles miracle. 

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Told Eric Studesville & Joe Woods will meet w/ Vance Joseph later today. Studesville interviewed for Jets' OC job. Woods up for Broncos' DC.

Must be bad info...no way a brilliant organization like Denver would want anything to do with a loser that the Jets interviewed.:D

2 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

If Denver wanted him back as an OC you might have a point

I guarantee you if they hire him, the same people who were complaining that we were interviewing a RB coach will lament that we missed out on an up-and-comer. 

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

I guarantee you if they hire him, the same people who were complaining that we were interviewing a RB coach will lament that we missed out on an up-and-comer. 

an up and comer who's been a RB coach for over a decade.

i'm sure he's a good guy and a good position coach, but he seems underwhelming as a guy we'd want to come in, mentor young QBs and design an offense

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I never thought that the Jets path to improvement in 2017 with Bowles coaching involved replacing Gailey AND finding someone externally, with potentially a new system to replace him.

I am curious as to who takes the OC job, but to me what the Jags have done makes alot more sense than what the Jets are doing.  I think the decisions Woody is making and the way he has structured the team is going to literally run it into the ground.  Unfortunately, it will not only provide the fans with a bad experience, but players will have their careers are lives irreversibly affected adversely.  Macc needs to do something to take control of this mess.

This is my point as well.

I am not knocking Bowles in this regard but let's look at the situation objectively, the question is you bring in a new OC and it is a significant change when you don't have an offensive minded HC at the helm? 

It is doubly difficult in this impatient market when you are replacing a guy who two short years ago was leading the offense to record breaking and setting achievements, who was then undermined the next year by poor QB play.

Who are you going to hire who is going to do better than Chan did in 2015 and may even do worse than 2016 with Petty or Hack under center?  That is the definition of a tough job...

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

This is my point as well.

I am not knocking Bowles in this regard but let's look at the situation objectively, the question is you bring in a new OC and it is a significant change when you don't have an offensive minded HC at the helm? 

It is doubly difficult in this impatient market when you are replacing a guy who two short years ago was leading the offense to record breaking and setting achievements, who was then undermined the next year by poor QB play.

Who are you going to hire who is going to do better than Chan did in 2015 and may even do worse than 2016 with Petty or Hack under center?  That is the definition of a tough job...

So if we are to assume that Chan Gailey was fired and didn't decide to retire, there was the mistake.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

So if we are to assume that Chan Gailey was fired and didn't decide to retire, there was the mistake.

I know that I am in the minority but I think Chan shouldn't have been fired... I mean retired.

I don't think that the retired angle holds any water when his hand picked successor Patullo was let go as well.

Indeed the Gailey hire only made sense to me if you were going to build continuity through Patullo.  

Now we are going to start yet again and if Bowles is let go say in 2018, we will move to yet another offensive philospohy? 

What will that be 7 or maybe 8 OCs in 12 or 13 years.  IMO you can't win with that kind of instability.

14 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I know that I am in the minority but I think Chan shouldn't have been fired... I mean retired.

I don't think that the retired angle holds any water when his hand picked successor Patullo was let go as well.

Indeed the Gailey hire only made sense to me if you were going to build continuity through Patullo.  

Now we are going to start yet again and if Bowles is let go say in 2018, we will move to yet another offensive philospohy? 

What will that be 7 or maybe 8 OCs in 12 or 13 years.  IMO you can't win with that kind of instability.

From what I recall, Gailey has demonstrated ability but is an odd duck.  If I recall correctly, there seemed to be a bit of a dance when he joined the team-like he was on board but needed to extract whatever flesh or status before confirming.

I am becoming more and more convinced that we are approaching the Jets Waterloo here (on the losing end).  Either possible scenario looks bad for the Jets:

1)  Either he really said he was retiring at the end of 2016, but we entrusted he and Patullo with both the offense and development of the QBs anyway, and did not have a predetermined plan in place.  In that case, we are talking stupidity, lack of preparedness and incompetence, or 

2)  They decided to fire Gailey and Patullo without a Plan B in place, and given Bowles status still thought they could hire a replacement better than Gailey to develop the QBs and save Bowles and perhaps Mac's job.

If it were me, in the case of 1 I am finding the new OC then and have a transition plan, and perhaps have Gailey in his last year focus on QBs, and in the case of 2 I am restraining myself, getting Gailey some young help and trying to work with him to take the team forward.

Something is fishy here, and my guess is that the hands of WOODY are all over it, likely involving trying to save money on coaching.  We can keep saying that all of this oddity is not Woody's fault, but given he is the common denominator I don't know how else to explain it.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

From what I recall, Gailey has demonstrated ability but is an odd duck.  If I recall correctly, there seemed to be a bit of a dance when he joined the team-like he was on board but needed to extract whatever flesh or status before confirming.

I am becoming more and more convinced that we are approaching the Jets Waterloo here (on the losing end).  Either possible scenario looks bad for the Jets:

1)  Either he really said he was retiring at the end of 2016, but we entrusted he and Patullo with both the offense and development of the QBs anyway, and did not have a predetermined plan in place.  In that case, we are talking stupidity, lack of preparedness and incompetence, or 

2)  They decided to fire Gailey and Patullo without a Plan B in place, and given Bowles status still thought they could hire a replacement better than Gailey to develop the QBs and save Bowles and perhaps Mac's job.

If it were me, in the case of 1 I am finding the new OC then and have a transition plan, and perhaps have Gailey in his last year focus on QBs, and in the case of 2 I am restraining myself, getting Gailey some young help and trying to work with him to take the team forward.

Something is fishy here, and my guess is that the hands of WOODY are all over it, likely involving trying to save money on coaching.  We can keep saying that all of this oddity is not Woody's fault, but given he is the common denominator I don't know how else to explain it.

I said a similar thing in another thread.

How you could have Gailey "retire" without having a clear plan B is beyond me.

I really really really hope that you are wrong concerning Woody's involvement in this......

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

With Bill Musgrave going into Denver, Greg Knapp has been released. If Studesville is hired, he might come here to be the QBs coach.

Then of course, if Studesville decides to stay in Denver, that's the ultimate embarrassment for the Jets

Why would it be an embarrassment if some JAG RBs coach decides to stay with his old team? It's more of an embarrassment to settle for a RBs coach to run an offense with inexperienced QBs. 

A bunch of OCs are being hired while no one seems to be interested in this guy besides Bowles. If we get him or not, it won't create any waves. 

9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

tl;dr next season is nearly eight months away, but it's already not Hackenberg's fault if he sucks 

Oh no, it will still be his fault.  While I believe coaches play a fundamental role in player development, the success (or failure), is ultimately, on the shoulders of player.  

However, this is kinda like accidentally throwing gasoline on a person who is playing stop, drop, and roll with flames when you meant to throw water on them.

23 hours ago, Persiussa said:

This thread reminds me of when jets fans are mad on draft day because we took a player that no one heard of in a late round. That doesn't mean a guy we took is gonna be bad because you never heard of him.  Same with coaches.  The idea that we would all know who these position coaches are is crazy.  This guy has the trust of John elway and Gary kubiak but we've never heard of him so he sucks.  Its hard to watch people go through these emotional outbursts just because you're not getting the name you want. Maybe this guy is a great coach. 

Good post but your logic is silly... he is and has always been a RB coach. What in his background makes you think he is capable of being an OC?     I mean if you need brain surgery and your being wheeled into the OPt RM do you want a Urologist doing the surgery?  Well based on your comment maybe you do, don't know and don't care but this interview and your statement borders on the realm of absurdity. 

6 hours ago, shuler82 said:

an up and comer who's been a RB coach for over a decade.

i'm sure he's a good guy and a good position coach, but he seems underwhelming as a guy we'd want to come in, mentor young QBs and design an offense

And its so obvious that you guys can all tell this by looking up his Wikipedia page

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

Studesville probably read the posts on this board.

Woody and Bowles are starting to develop a problem.  I can't wait to see how they get out of it.

Maybe Woody is too cheap.

Right? lol

Or maybe the Jets didnt offer him a job or it was only as RB coach, not OC.

Archived