Report: Jets set to Interview Eric Studesville for Vacant OC Position

JetNation

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's a nice video but all it tells me is that he has a long history of developing RBS. That's all. That's great but Powell kind of already knows what he's doing. Forte too (assuming he's back). 

We need a QB guru to run this offense. One that knows how to design plays that will get the most out of hack or pretty or whoever we draft. 

Again, it's a proven fact that only QB coaches know how to call passing plays.  RB coaches,  no matter how smart, not so much.  This guy can't succeed. Impossible. 

Youre right, they're tanking.  He's helping.  So the next OC can get a new QB.  Think about that one next time you throw that out there 

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Why?

because if a RB coach turns down the OC position and their own WR coach turns down the position then that would be incredibly embarrassing and show how the Jets OC position is viewed...could you imagine the wr coach turning down the OC job? 

It's like sarcasm or something.

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

because if a RB coach turns down the OC position and their own WR coach turns down the position then that would be incredibly embarrassing and show how the Jets OC position is viewed...could you imagine the wr coach turning down the OC job? 

It's like sarcasm or something.

It honestly could not get any worse than either of these two hires so I embrace the challenge of the Jets proving me wrong and hiring someone that will single-handedly steer the Jets offense to the number 1 overall pick next year.

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Again, it's a proven fact that only QB coaches know how to call passing plays.  RB coaches,  no matter how smart, not so much.  This guy can't succeed. Impossible. 

Youre right, they're tanking.  He's helping.  So the next OC can get a new QB.  Think about that one next time you throw that out there 

We agree on a lot.  Not this one.  This would be a Tony Sparano type of hire.  Actually, scratch that.  Sparano had actually called plays in the past.  He's probably a better choice.  #RehireTony2Times

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It honestly could not get any worse than either of these two hires so I embrace the challenge of the Jets proving me wrong and hiring someone that will single-handedly steer the Jets offense to the number 1 overall pick next year.

Don't worry, in his enduring quest to ensure there is no one on staff that would make a good interim coach, TB got ya covered. I introduce you to the next Jets OC:

532e2a7b9a3eb31ae7fdc49cfa63c12c.jpg

Seriously.  This is a hire that would absolutely blanket any shred of enthusiasm of this coaching staff turning this team around.  One of those hires you'll look back on and say "what the f*ck were they thinking would happen?".

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Don't worry, in his enduring quest to ensure there is no one on staff that would make a good interim coach, TB got ya covered. I introduce you to the next Jets OC:

532e2a7b9a3eb31ae7fdc49cfa63c12c.jpg

His hair tells me he has at least one zinger of a play in his book of tricks and that would have me infinitely more excited than the f*cking Denver Broncos RB coach.  Jesus t*ttyf*cking Christ I hate this team.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

We agree on a lot.  Not this one.  This would be a Tony Sparano type of hire.  Actually, scratch that.  Sparano had actually called plays in the past.  He's probably a better choice.  #RehireTony2Times

Every OC, every single one of them started somewhere as a position coach who never called a play before.  Hardly proof that this one will suck.  The guys has worked on a lot of good staffs, we don't know what he is and are guessing at best.  

Like we all guessed that making Lynn, a RB coach the OC was a death move in buffalo.  As he turned their O around and then parlayed that experience into a HC gig. 

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Every OC, every single one of them started somewhere as a position coach who never called a play before.  Hardly proof that this one will suck.  The guys has worked on a lot of good staffs, we don't know what he is and are guessing at best

He's worked under Jim Fassel, Dick Jauron, Josh McDaniels, and essentially did nothing but sit around with a thumb up his a** during Peyton Manning's stint with the Broncos.  I would hardly call any of the staffs he's worked on "mediocre", let alone good.  He started his coaching career as a DB coach.  There is huge difference between hiring an up and coming QB coach who studies under veteran OC's, and the DB coach who sucked his way into a RB coach position for garbage head coaches.  All we've talked about since Gailey "retiring" is that the next choice at OC should be someone who has, at least, SNIFFED the farts of a franchise QB to help the young guys on our roster.  So what does Toddy boy do?  Choose to interview a f*cking DB/RB coach.  

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Maybe he can call a great game, just weird that no one else that employed him decided to promote him to OC. Elway gets to see him everyday and said "Um, nah, we'll go with the experience Mccoy". But somehow I am supposed to trust Bowles on this one?  

We have been trying to develop a franchise QB for a while now and keep trying to do it with defensive minded HCs and now a RBs coach (possibly)..

If you were the one trying to develop a franchise QB, would you pick a former RBs coach or a former QB's coach? Would you pick a RBs coach or a former OC that has already called plays and shown success in the NFL? I am not saying this guy can't turn Hack into the next Big Ben. If he's hired, i hope he does. I just don't think he is the one that gives Hack the best chance to develop. 

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He's worked under Jim Fassel, Dick Jauron, Josh McDaniels, and essentially did nothing but sit around with a thumb up his a** during Peyton Manning's stint with the Broncos.  I would hardly call any of the staffs he's worked on "mediocre", let alone good.  He started his coaching career as a DB coach.  There is huge difference between hiring an up and coming QB coach who studies under veteran OC's, and the DB coach who sucked his way into a RB coach position for garbage head coaches.  All we've talked about since Gailey "retiring" is that the next choice at OC should be someone who has, at least, SNIFFED the farts of a franchise QB to help the young guys on our roster.  So what does Toddy boy do?  Choose to interview a f*cking DB/RB coach.  

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

Josh McDaniels, Geis, Manning, Fox, none would be even mediocre environments? 

Sorry, he could suck but nothing about his background should make anyone react as if they know what he will be ahead of time.  

One other thing, guys get interviews as favors to the coach or to agents.  I'm not getting worked up over an interview at the end of the day could be to fill the vacant RB coaching position or will amount to nothing,  

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Maybe he can call a great game, just weird that no one else that employed him decided to promote him to OC. Elway gets to see him everyday and said "Um, nah, we'll go with the experience Mccoy". But somehow I am supposed to trust Bowles on this one?  

We have been trying to develop a franchise QB for a while now and keep trying to do it with defensive minded HCs and now a RBs coach (possibly)..

If you were the one trying to develop a franchise QB, would you pick a former RBs coach or a former QB's coach? Would you pick a RBs coach or a former OC that has already called plays and shown success in the NFL? I am not saying this guy can't turn Hack into the next Big Ben. If he's hired, i hope he does. I just don't think he is the one that gives Hack the best chance to develop. 

He's an offensive guy, not s defensive HC.  I know it's beyong belief of some. A RB coach is aware that you can throw.  Really.  He probably had heard about the forward pass. 

All I'm saying is no one, not a single Je fan has a friggen clue what he is, what his O philosophy is but they're all shooting their mouths off as if they have intimate insight into what this guys is all about.  

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Josh McDaniels, Geis, Manning, Fox, none would be even mediocre environments? 

Sorry, he could suck but nothing about his background should make anyone react as if they know what he will be ahead of time.  

One other thing, guys get interviews as favors to the coach or to agents.  I'm not getting worked up over an interview at the end of the day could be to fill the vacant RB coaching position or will amount to nothing,  

McDaniels's Denver stint was horrendous, he never worked with Gase unless they were crossing paths in the office, Fox was the reason that team didn't win 3 Super Bowls, and you can bet your a** he did nothing but sit around while Manning ran whatever he wanted to run.  So no, none of them would be considered mediocre.  For your second point, it's everything about his background that says he's going to suck, so there's that.

22 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If he's hired you can all but kiss Hack's chance at a revival goodbye.  I'm that kids biggest fan but this would be the nail in the f*cking coffin of any shred of hope that we could fix him.  I said it earlier, this would be the equivalent to hiring Tony f*cking Sparano in Mark Sanchez's "make or break" year as a starter in 2012. 

If Bowles is for real with this bullsh*t, the only good that will come of this is that his chipmunk looking a** will be as good as gone by week 8 of next year, and nowhere NEAR the guy we draft in 2018 with our top 5 pick.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

McDaniels's Denver stint was horrendous, he never worked with Gase unless they were crossing paths in the office, Fox was the reason that team didn't win 3 Super Bowles, and you can bet your a** he did nothing but sit around while Manning ran whatever he wanted to run.  So no, none of them would be considered mediocre.  For your second point, it's everything about his background that says he's going to suck, so there's that.

If he's hired you can all but kiss Hack's chance at a revival goodbye.  I'm that kids biggest fan but this would be the nail in the f*cking coffin of any shred of hope that we could fix him.  I said it earlier, this would be the equivalent to hiring Tony f*cking Sparano in Mark Sanchez's "make or break" year as a starter in 2012. 

If Bowles is for real with this bullsh*t, the only good that will come of this is that his chipmunk looking a** will be as good as gone by week 8 of next year, and nowhere NEAR the guy we draft in 2018 with our top 5 pick.

I'm not getting this riled up over a coach no one here would know if he was sitting next to them.  

Everything about Belichicks background said he would suck as HC too.  

Hacks development is more dependent on his QB, not his OC. 

Patience, let it play out.

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm not getting this riled up over a coach no one here would know if he was sitting next to them.  

Everything about Belichicks background said he would suck as HC too.  

Hacks development is more dependent on his QB, not his OC. 

Patience, let it play out.

Hack's (or any young QB for that matter) development is far more dependant on his OC.  Not his QB coach.

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's a nice video but all it tells me is that he has a long history of developing RBS. That's all. That's great but Powell kind of already knows what he's doing. Forte too (assuming he's back). 

We need a QB guru to run this offense. One that knows how to design plays that will get the most out of hack or pretty or whoever we draft. 

Don't you need a QB before you need a QB guru?  I know I'll get flamed for this but for this team with this roster perhaps morphing into a run first offense isn't such a bad plan.  Not a total ground and pound mine you but a focus on the ground game might just be the best way to "rep up" untried untested QBs.    

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No half way decent OC prospect has us at or near the top of his list.  We are in the position of having to make bricks w/o straw.   

28 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Don't you need a QB before you need a QB guru?  I know I'll get flamed for this but for this team with this roster perhaps morphing into a run first offense isn't such a bad plan.  Not a total ground and pound mine you but a focus on the ground game might just be the best way to "rep up" untried untested QBs.    

You shouldn't get flamed for that. Contrary to popular belief on this site, that's a smart approach if your team doesn't have an established QB. 

10 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Denver fans seem to love the guy. Surviving three coaches is an accomplishment and he has developed some nice RB's. Try to keep in mind lots of good coordinators started in all different position coach roles. 

If Denver loved him so much why didn't they give him the OC job that was just available? For those saying a running game is what's needed for a young unproven QB, I'm pretty sure that's what Denver's QB situation is also. 

Whatever, I'm sure bowles knows better than elway....

14 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

There are only three reasons for this interview:

1 bowles is doing another black coach a favor and has no real intention of hiring him.

2 bowles is an idiot and actually thinks this is a good idea

3 macc is a genius and is allowing bowles to hire/retain the worst coaching staff in football so we can get the number one pick next year. 

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

He will fit right in.....

Bowles mindset surround yourself with other morons and no one will realize who the real moron is..........only problem is most of us already know. 

We already have two "projects" at QB.  Bowles has already proven himself to be a failed "project".  The jury on Mcc's "project" as a GM has nearly reached its verdict.  So now, we add a running backs coach--a "project"--who has never designed nor run an NFL offense?  WTF is wrong with this team and thinking?  Get a proven coach who can hopefully transform Petty and Hack from "projects" into legitimate NFL QBs.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Denver loved him so much why didn't they give him the OC job that was just available? For those saying a running game is what's needed for a young unproven QB, I'm pretty sure that's what Denver's QB situation is also. 

Whatever, I'm sure bowles knows better than elway....

Because they just switched head coaches. You would think that the new head coach would want to bring in his own staff, not just promote from within. There might be more defections from Denver's offensive coaching staff as well.

I am not reading another 8 pages of people whining about this guy because they want a better candidate when they have no idea how good a candidate he will be.  You want established coordinators?  Why?  If it means Norv Turner, Greg Roman and Bill Musgrave you can all get bent. In fact, if those are your names I rest my ******* case.  I don't know this guy will be a great coordinator, but I sure don't know he will bad.  Coaching staffs are filled with nepotism - head guys want/need their lap dogs (buds, sons, brothers, nephews) to keep order, stay "the Man" and get info on the state of the team.  Plenty of good candidates never get a shot. 

So IF  we were to hire this guy then it is reasonable to assume that we would be going to the Rex "ground and pound" days again? 

SO then we would be drafting Fournette or Cook and killing any chance of finding a modern era QB.... FML.

Let's consider that he gets the job.    I think he was the RB coach in Denver with Clady and maybe even with B.Marshall.   Does he make an argument to retain those players?  It may make sense to retain Clady for one year at least, until we draft and develop a new OT.  That is, I can see the jets drafting a tackle in the second/third round, and sitting him behind clady for a a year.   

Archived