Remember When, Browning Nagle Edition...

Maxman

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, section314 said:

He actually started out pretty well, but that fumble on Monday Night Football vs. Chicago, in a game where he had well over 100 yards, seemed to totally change him.

Wow, I don't remember much about that game but I do remember it being one of those real "kick in the teeth" type losses.  I checked the boxscore and we led 13-3 in the 4th quarter before losing in OT.  I think the Jets had another terrible loss that year too.

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wow, I don't remember much about that game but I do remember it being one of those real "kick in the teeth" type losses.  I checked the boxscore and we led 13-3 in the 4th quarter before losing in OT.  I think the Jets had another terrible loss that year too.

They gave the Colts their only win of the year that year.

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Jets were up 13-6 and had a goal line stand with @3 mins left. Jets took over, got it out to the 35or so, and Blair Thomas fumbled. Bears tied it, and won in OT, after Leahy Missed a 29 yd fg. 

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Jets were up 13-6 and had a goal line stand with @3 mins left. Jets took over, got it out to the 35or so, and Blair Thomas fumbled. Bears tied it, and won in OT, after Leahy Missed a 29 yd fg. 

Wow so Jets.  Come up w the goal line stand and then still blow the game.  And missing a 29 yd FG in OT - geez!

Even though I would love to see the Jets play in a SB, after watching the Falcons collapse, I'd rather have not gotten there then gotten there and lost that way.

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

Anyone remember when:

1. Browning Nagle opened the season against the Falcons with 2 TDs and 366 yards

2. The Jets lost a 3 point game but it was okay because we had our young gunslinger

3.  Browning Nagle went on to throw 7 TDs and 17 INTs that year

4.  Browning Nagle's career ended fast

Remember all that? 1992.

I remember very little of that season. Coslet kept yanking Nagle for O'Brien then O'Brien would get nicked and it would be back to Nagle. Is it any wonder the kid never got it? That team was very bad and Coslet showed that he was not a good HC because he had no patience and could not develop a guy with great talent.

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Wow so Jets.  Come up w the goal line stand and then still blow the game.  And missing a 29 yd FG in OT - geez!

Even though I would love to see the Jets play in a SB, after watching the Falcons collapse, I'd rather have not gotten there then gotten there and lost that way.

The Falcons 'collapse' was much the same as Seattle's. They went against the grain and it burned them. RUN THE BALL and WIN THE GAME.

22 minutes ago, section314 said:

That was not 1992, that was 1991. That was Blair Thomas' second season, his first was 1990. Nagle was drafted in 1991, the same year as Brett Favre. Nagle sat out his rookie season and then was set to replace O'Brien in 1992. 1990 6-10, 1991 8-8, 1992 4-12, 1993 8-8 and goodbye Coslet.

47 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

How bout Tony Stargell ? That generations version of Dee Milliner

Steinberg's first two drafts were absolutely awful, which made me wonder why he was considered a 'football man' by so many. Thomas was a bust and so were most every pick made that year. His best pick was WR Rob Moore who came in the supplemental draft and cost us Brett Favre the following year.

4 hours ago, dcJet said:

Dude couldn't throw a screen pass to save his life.   Decades later we got Sanchez who had the same affliction.

Browning threw them too hard, Sanchez threw them to the other team.

Well we do have Hackenberg now lol.

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Remember the 1990 draft anyone?  

We took Blair Thomas in the first and Reggie Rembert at the top of the 2nd.  Anyone remember Rembert, WR out of West Virginia.  Thought he should have been picked in the first round.  The guy refused to sign a contract unless he got paid like a first rounder.  Rather than sign him we traded him to Cincy (where he sucked anyway) for a couple of jag offensive linemen.  Since we were unable to sign Rembert, we used our first round pick in 91 to take Rob Moore in the 90 supplemental draft.  The first round pick that we likely would have used to select Brett Favre instead of Browning Nagle.  Whenever someone bring up Nagle, I immediately think of Reggie Rembert.

Only this franchise.

Roger Duffy and Terrance Mathis had the biggest impact - along with Rob Moore - but little else came of that draft. 

56 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Any theories as to why Blair Thomas wasn't named Thomas Blair?

I don't know them personally but I think it is because his Father's last name was Thomas and his Mother picked Blair for his first name. Had she picked Thomas, it would have been Thomas Thomas. Just would look weird on a football jersey.

17 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

That was not 1992, that was 1991. That was Blair Thomas' second season, his first was 1990. Nagle was drafted in 1991, the same year as Brett Favre. Nagle sat out his rookie season and then was set to replace O'Brien in 1992. 1990 6-10, 1991 8-8, 1992 4-12, 1993 8-8 and goodbye Coslet.

1991 was a cool year....beat the Dolphins in OT to go to playoffs, and lost that tough wildcard to Houston, 17-10. Remember that great drive we had in the 4th q, tied 10-10? I think we had it for 8 mins or so, got down to the 10, and O'Brien got hit as he was throwing, and they intercepted, and went on to win. 1993 was the year we were either 8-5,or 8-6, and had to win one game to get in.I remember we lost at Buffalo when Cary Blanchard missed a FG on the last play, and the last game was at Houston, and we got killed. That was the Buddy Ryan vs Gilbride fight. 

42 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't know them personally but I think it is because his Father's last name was Thomas and his Mother picked Blair for his first name. Had she picked Thomas, it would have been Thomas Thomas. Just would look weird on a football jersey.

Wasn't Alan Allen a Jet back during that same era (at least in pre-season)?

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/07/sports/transactions-342895.html

NEW YORK JETS -- Signed Lavar Ball, tight end, and Alan Allen, wide receiver and loaned them to the London Monarchs of the World League.

30 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Roger Duffy and Terrance Mathis had the biggest impact - along with Rob Moore - but little else came of that draft. 

The Road Grader.  The '91 draft was basically Mo Lewis a couple of years of Mitchell and that's it.  They drafted Craig Hentrich and cut him.  Can you imagine drafting a punter and cutting him? 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Road Grader.  The '91 draft was basically Mo Lewis a couple of years of Mitchell and that's it.  They drafted Craig Hentrich and cut him.  Can you imagine drafting a punter and cutting him? 

You do remember this is a Jets site, right?:D

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Abused at PSU. They ran 268 and 264 times in his junior and senior seasons. That is in a 12 game schedule.

That the he then turned tentative in the hole. He did not accumulate to the pro game as he needed.

Sandusky?

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Huh?!  Did this actually happen?

Listen to the lyrics of Poison.

Miss her. Kiss her. Love her. Rob Moore you're dead.

The official lyrics read Wrong move you're dead. But listen to it, he says Rob Moore.

They wear a Syracuse jersey in the video. At the time I remember hearing it had something to do with a girl.

To this day I still say Coslet ruined Nagle.  Yes Nagle was a lunk head...but he really did look like the second coming of Jim Kelly coming out of college.  He had the arm, mobility, toughness and Schnellenberger loved him.  But Coslet had him thinking so much while trying to teach him his "complex O" that Nagle forgot how to just play.  Granted his lack of touch and his supposed laziness in the classroom probably meant he was never going to be a franchise QB...but he was just so poorly developed by Coslet and never recovered.

And we lost out on Favre because the Cards bailed on a trade at the last second where we would have moved up 2 spots to get favre.  Trade was a done deal until the Cards thought ATL would take the DLman they wanted so they bailed, took the DLmen, ATL took favre and we took Nagle.  That said, ATL traded favre after a year because he was too much of a party boy in ATL...does anyone not think Favre would have drank himself right out of NY before ever becoming great?  At least thats how I make myself feel better about that situation!  Now marino...thats another story.

49 minutes ago, Jets1214 said:

To this day I still say Coslet ruined Nagle

Not just Coslet. The New York press, and the fans, for giving up so soon. Back then was the height of "Same Ol' Jets" press and mentality. Imagine just letting the guy lose for more than half a season, take his lumps and come back stronger. Instead, we (press, fans, ownership) decided that negativity was the answer.

Are posters in this thread really laying the  blame of Nagle's failure at the feet of others? Yes, having Bruce Coslet as his HC wasn't the same as having a Walsh or Holmgren, but if Browning Nagle had anything to offer the NFL aside from a bazooka that had no semblance of touch or accuracy, his talent would have shined through elsewhere... he had a shot with the Colts backing up two NFL Norris castoffs in Harbaugh & Majkowski in '94, and was good enough to wrestle away 1 start from those 2 immortals. He's out of football in 1995 and is on the 1996 Falcons where he amasses a whopping 13 attempts behind Bobby Hebert & Jeff George. If there was magic in that kid it would have showed up elsewhere, but when the mind is lacking, no amount of physical talent can make up for it. The fact that he either couldn't or stubbornly wouldn't adjust his velocity on short, intermediate, & deep passes was ALL you needed to know regarding his football IQ, and his mentality was obviously: "Brain, what brain, I've got an arm that can thread any needle's eye, and it'll bail me out of this stupid decisi - D'OH! Another interception! Sorry Jets fans, but I do have a shoulder rocket I MUST show off every chance I get."

He was Kellen Clemens about 15 years before Kellen Clemens' acorn shaped head ever showed up around these parts. A 2nd round QB with a scattershot rocket launcher, just like Clemens, and just as awful. Only difference is that Clemens at least seemed like a humble, "aw shucks" kinda guy whereas Nagle was undeservedly cocky and as each performance got worse, became just unlikable (which probably explains why Clemens has lasted MUCH longer than Nagle in the league). Revisionist history be damned.

22 hours ago, Maxman said:

Anyone remember when:

1. Browning Nagle opened the season against the Falcons with 2 TDs and 366 yards

2. The Jets lost a 3 point game but it was okay because we had our young gunslinger

3.  Browning Nagle went on to throw 7 TDs and 17 INTs that year

4.  Browning Nagle's career ended fast

Remember all that? 1992.

Thanks Max.  The 1992 reference is a good one.  That team overachieved in Week 1 bigtime. 

10 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Are posters in this thread really laying the  blame of Nagle's failure at the feet of others? Yes, having Bruce Coslet as his HC wasn't the same as having a Walsh or Holmgren, but if Browning Nagle had anything to offer the NFL aside from a bazooka that had no semblance of touch or accuracy, his talent would have shined through elsewhere... he had a shot with the Colts backing up two NFL Norris castoffs in Harbaugh & Majkowski in '94, and was good enough to wrestle away 1 start from those 2 immortals. He's out of football in 1995 and is on the 1996 Falcons where he amasses a whopping 13 attempts behind Bobby Hebert & Jeff George. If there was magic in that kid it would have showed up elsewhere, but when the mind is lacking, no amount of physical talent can make up for it. The fact that he either couldn't or stubbornly wouldn't adjust his velocity on short, intermediate, & deep passes was ALL you needed to know regarding his football IQ, and his mentality was obviously: "Brain, what brain, I've got an arm that can thread any needle's eye, and it'll bail me out of this stupid decisi - D'OH! Another interception! Sorry Jets fans, but I do have a shoulder rocket I MUST show off every chance I get."

He was Kellen Clemens about 15 years before Kellen Clemens' acorn shaped head ever showed up around these parts. A 2nd round QB with a scattershot rocket launcher, just like Clemens, and just as awful. Only difference is that Clemens at least seemed like a humble, "aw shucks" kinda guy whereas Nagle was undeservedly cocky and as each performance got worse, became just unlikable (which probably explains why Clemens has lasted MUCH longer than Nagle in the league). Revisionist history be damned.

Some people favorably compared Majkowski to Lynn Dickey (http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/130973-who-is-better-don-majkowski-or-lynn-dickey/)

Also, many people feel that "If Harbaugh becomes available you do everything to get him" (http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/130363-if-harbaugh-becomes-available-you-do-everything-to-get-him/)

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Some people favorably compared Majkowski to Lynn Dickey (http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/130973-who-is-better-don-majkowski-or-lynn-dickey/)

Also, many people feel that "If Harbaugh becomes available you do everything to get him" (http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/130363-if-harbaugh-becomes-available-you-do-everything-to-get-him/)

I've never been happier to use this gif like I will right now in regards to the sentiments laid out in the threads you have presented before me

raw

34 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

Are posters in this thread really laying the  blame of Nagle's failure at the feet of others? Yes, having Bruce Coslet as his HC wasn't the same as having a Walsh or Holmgren, but if Browning Nagle had anything to offer the NFL aside from a bazooka that had no semblance of touch or accuracy, his talent would have shined through elsewhere...

As if the NFL QB position is a meritocracy...LOL

12 minutes ago, glenn31 said:

I've never been happier to use this gif like I will right now in regards to the sentiments laid out in the threads you have presented before me

raw

Pretty sure you know I was joking but, just in case...I was joking.

Archived