Remember When, Browning Nagle Edition...

Maxman

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Thanks Max.  The 1992 reference is a good one.  That team overachieved in Week 1 bigtime. 

Nice. But you botched it. They lost week one. You should have gone with:

Thanks Max.  The 1992 reference is a good one.  That team overachieved in pre-season big time.

:)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, glenn31 said:

So there was a conspiracy to keep Browning Nagle down?

I didn't say that. I suggested that each QB situation comes with political concerns that sometimes take precedent over a player's perceived and actual abilities.

Case in Point: Mark Fitzpatrick last year. I believe EVERY OTHER QB on the team is better than he is, in physical ability, in mental acuity, in handling pressure situations. the POLITICAL situation kept Fitzpatrick starting until the season was lost.

I also believe that a QB's best chance to realize his potential quickly is with his first team. Once that fails, it's really hard to develop. There's the diminished status--not being the golden boy anymore--the need to pick up new systems and routines, working with lower caliber players, etc. AND that, perhaps, less is expected and a player meets those expectations.

16 hours ago, Jets1214 said:

To this day I still say Coslet ruined Nagle.  Yes Nagle was a lunk head...but he really did look like the second coming of Jim Kelly coming out of college.  He had the arm, mobility, toughness and Schnellenberger loved him.  But Coslet had him thinking so much while trying to teach him his "complex O" that Nagle forgot how to just play.  Granted his lack of touch and his supposed laziness in the classroom probably meant he was never going to be a franchise QB...but he was just so poorly developed by Coslet and never recovered.

And we lost out on Favre because the Cards bailed on a trade at the last second where we would have moved up 2 spots to get favre.  Trade was a done deal until the Cards thought ATL would take the DLman they wanted so they bailed, took the DLmen, ATL took favre and we took Nagle.  That said, ATL traded favre after a year because he was too much of a party boy in ATL...does anyone not think Favre would have drank himself right out of NY before ever becoming great?  At least thats how I make myself feel better about that situation!  Now marino...thats another story.

It didn't stop Namath did it??

On 3/13/2017 at 11:20 PM, Maxman said:

Anyone remember when:

1. Browning Nagle opened the season against the Falcons with 2 TDs and 366 yards

2. The Jets lost a 3 point game but it was okay because we had our young gunslinger

3.  Browning Nagle went on to throw 7 TDs and 17 INTs that year

4.  Browning Nagle's career ended fast

Remember all that? 1992.

we went 5-0 in preseason off the playoff year of 1991.  we were supposed to be an up and coming team and Nagle "proved" in that falcon game he was the future.  unfortunately that was the highlight of his career, we'd lose Lageman for the season the next week, we'd lose Toon and Byrd for their careers and it would be maybe the worst season in Jets history and we'd acquire Boomer Esiason the next season.

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

Nice. But you botched it. They lost week one. You should have gone with:

Thanks Max.  The 1992 reference is a good one.  That team overachieved in pre-season big time.

:)

Preseason was a mirage, we were playing starters longer than other teams.  I remember late in the Washington game they were going in for a winning score late in the game and Coslet sent out our starting D to stop them which we did.  1992 was when I stopped caring about preseason results.  I always want to win but it's much more important to come out healthy and get guys a little work.

12 hours ago, glenn31 said:

Are posters in this thread really laying the  blame of Nagle's failure at the feet of others? Yes, having Bruce Coslet as his HC wasn't the same as having a Walsh or Holmgren, but if Browning Nagle had anything to offer the NFL aside from a bazooka that had no semblance of touch or accuracy, his talent would have shined through elsewhere... he had a shot with the Colts backing up two NFL Norris castoffs in Harbaugh & Majkowski in '94, and was good enough to wrestle away 1 start from those 2 immortals. He's out of football in 1995 and is on the 1996 Falcons where he amasses a whopping 13 attempts behind Bobby Hebert & Jeff George. If there was magic in that kid it would have showed up elsewhere, but when the mind is lacking, no amount of physical talent can make up for it. The fact that he either couldn't or stubbornly wouldn't adjust his velocity on short, intermediate, & deep passes was ALL you needed to know regarding his football IQ, and his mentality was obviously: "Brain, what brain, I've got an arm that can thread any needle's eye, and it'll bail me out of this stupid decisi - D'OH! Another interception! Sorry Jets fans, but I do have a shoulder rocket I MUST show off every chance I get."

He was Kellen Clemens about 15 years before Kellen Clemens' acorn shaped head ever showed up around these parts. A 2nd round QB with a scattershot rocket launcher, just like Clemens, and just as awful. Only difference is that Clemens at least seemed like a humble, "aw shucks" kinda guy whereas Nagle was undeservedly cocky and as each performance got worse, became just unlikable (which probably explains why Clemens has lasted MUCH longer than Nagle in the league). Revisionist history be damned.

Like I said, Nagle was a lazy, arrogant, lunk head who probably would have busted anyway.  But I think the Clemens comparison is faulty.  Nagle played in a pro style O in college, started for 3 years and was tutored by one of the best QB coaches ever...and Schnellenbeger loved him!  Watch his college film...he had the cannon but also showed touch, accuracy, poise, pocket presence and mobility.  He lacked great height (was only about 6'1") and threw a few too many picks in college which may be why he slid but as a prospect he was legit.  He had a strong senior year and a phenomenal bowl game against the #1 pass D (Alabama) in the country that year.  Clemens by contrast came from a gimmick O at Oregon and was hurt most of his senior year.

Nagle didn't fail because of Coslet per se.  But I think Coslet did an awful job developing him and then ditched him the minute has fave Boomer became available because he knew his job was on the line.  I think Coslet trying to totally break Nagle down and build him back up again in his image killed any chance Nagle had of succeeding here or elsewhere.  That said, again, the rumors of Nagle not exactly being a hard worker and kind of arrogant (although many great QBs are arrogant) probably played as much of a role as Coslet did.  But he was a legit prospect which I never really thought Clemens was. 

Anyone remember when:
1. Browning Nagle opened the season against the Falcons with 2 TDs and 366 yards
2. The Jets lost a 3 point game but it was okay because we had our young gunslinger
Remember all that? 1992.

I remember the game. I also remember being happy when. He was happy the draft pick (out of Louisville if I remember correctly) because I liked him in college. I guess I am not a good evaluator of QB talent. I also liked Jim Drunken Miller out of VA Tech.

Sent from my STV100-2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Anyone remember when:

Remember all that? 1992.

Thanks for bringing me back to another terribly disappointing experience from my four decades of Jets' fan futility. Man, that was a tough year. I drank the Nagle Kool-Aid right away, like a fool, and crashed hard, real fast. I think they had a 5-0 pre-season that year too.  

On 3/14/2017 at 1:30 PM, Maxman said:

Listen to the lyrics of Poison.

Miss her. Kiss her. Love her. Rob Moore you're dead.

The official lyrics read Wrong move you're dead. But listen to it, he says Rob Moore.

They wear a Syracuse jersey in the video. At the time I remember hearing it had something to do with a girl.

i don't know if you are joking but I just listened closely and it really does sound like "Rob Moore"

Beyond classic if that's true.

6 hours ago, estang74 said:

i don't know if you are joking but I just listened closely and it really does sound like "Rob Moore"

Beyond classic if that's true.

I am serious. I think it is true.

Anyone remember when:

Remember all that? 1992.

he had a major league arm.  And a fifty cent head.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived