Jets making all-out blitz for free-agent LB Dont'a Hightower

Gas2No99

I'm not going to lie and say I've really broken down Hightower's game.  But I am surprised at how
aggressive we've been going after him.  Out of all NE LB's the guys who've stood out to me in the past have 
been Chandler Jones, Jaime Collins and even Rob Ninkovich.  The Jets must have a really specific
role for Hightower that they want him to fill

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this doesn't feel right.  forget that he's on NE.  here we are again, the team is more than willing to throw top dollar on a defensive player while they  spend modestly on offense.  

How many more offensive players do you want? It's all about the QB, we don't know if we have one. Give the Pats, Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, Forte, Powell, another 2 draft picks at TE, RB, with Tom Brady throwing to them, lol.

My god, HOW MANY players do you need on offense? I wouldn't mind offense either, but I'm looking at this as a 2 year draft to rebuild. WTF does it matter who we have on offense if our defense can't get off the field like last year?

Our secondary is in the worst shape of any part of our football team, plus we're starting 2 young LBs who could use some guidance from a guy who's much younger than Harris & comes from a winning organization.

Macc & Bowles are going to rebuild this team whether you like it or not. Hopefully with young guys & young veterans like Hightower. I want Darnold or Rosen too, but I'm not gonna sit here & whine because we might sign guys to improve this team & that means we might win a few more games & screw ourselves out of a high pick. 

Hightower from the BEGINNING of free agency has been ranked right up there as the top free agents available, so we pay him 5.5 Million more than Harris, whatever, it's not my money & Revis and Fitz, 11 million come off in 2018. 

Macc knows how to structure a contract based on all of these things. You still have to try & field the best team you can, it's their f*cking JOB.

13 hours ago, Barton said:

hopefully the jets are just driving up the price. no reason for them to sign a guy like this. overrated. 

Exactly.   But if they give him 12 million I will be very ? 

13 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Last place I will post this:

For anyone who says "he's only 27," while I know we hate math, and especially charts, you may find these interesting:

aging-curve-for-nfl-defensive-players-pf

Screen-Shot-2015-08-10-at-2.53.17-PM.png

Full Article for explanation of methodology: http://socalledfantasyexperts.com/aging-curve-nfl-defensive-players-dl-lb-db

interesting curve.  it would be nice to know what the left side of the graph actually means.

40 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Last place I will post this:

For anyone who says "he's only 27," while I know we hate math, and especially charts, you may find these interesting:

aging-curve-for-nfl-defensive-players-pf

Screen-Shot-2015-08-10-at-2.53.17-PM.png

Full Article for explanation of methodology: http://socalledfantasyexperts.com/aging-curve-nfl-defensive-players-dl-lb-db

Interesting chart. Basically suggests you should never sign a high priced defensive FA except maybe at DT.

Just now, C Mart said:

Jason Cole‏ @JasonColeBR  

Told that the #Jets have offered more than $12M per season for #Patriots LB Dont'a Hightower as he gets closer to decision.

I guess they really like him.  I think it would be an excellent signing for the Jets were it to happen.

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think that's the most surprising thing -- that LBs age worse than members of the secondary. Makes you think the decline is more about physical wear and tear than diminishing speed/athleticism.

Yes, definitely interesting.

5 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

So if we are believing all reports... 

Pitt took their offer off the table when Hightower left.

The Jets were out even before that when he left Jersey.

So now Hightower is just choosing between the Pats and retirement?

Mike Silver is an outlier.  All other insiders that I've read still have the Jets in the running, with the Steelers rescinding their offer. Most do expect him to re-sign with the Patriots.

7 minutes ago, SR24 said:

@MikeSilver

According to source familiar with the negotiations, the Jets have been out of the Hightower market since he left the building

These are those reports that make you laugh when tonight they announce he signed with the Jets. I'm okay either way.

IMO here's how it's going to play out. He's going to ask NE to either match our offer or meet in the middle. They'll likely say no and he will be a Jet before tomorrow. Not really sure how I feel about it though to be honest. It's never bad to add high level young talent but at the same time he could just be a product of the Patriots scheme and could be benefiting so much from the elite level coaching and talent around him. I guess I just wonder how good he will be if/when he's not in New England. Would be an exciting sign but idk if it's the right time to add a salary like that to a team that won't be competitive until atleast 2019

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Albert Breer‏ @AlbertBreer  

Said over the weekend, teams involved believe Hightower will return to NE. Another belief out there: Patriots' offer is the best one he has.

sounds like he used the jets as leverage, nothing more.  and again, i don't understand why the jets would throw that much money on a 27 yr old lb when they're a few years away from contending.  would rather use it on a 24 yr old.

17 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If you believe Mike Silver, Hightower's agent is doing his job hyping the Patriots to pay more...

And Bill Belichick is such a naive moron that he views the Jets as an attractive free agent destination.

"Hey Aruba, if you don't give me a better price I'm going to Detroit for my vacation.  Ha!  Take that!"

SAR I

Move on already...Way to much money. I don't get how Mac was so diligent not to overpay the first wave of free agents but now he wants to drive a bus of cash into HT's house. I would have far preferred to use this cash and overpaid a CB in FA. He should be looking at more reasonable options such as Minter or Brown.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And Bill Belichick is such a naive moron that he views the Jets as an attractive free agent destination.

"Hey Aruba, if you don't give me a better price I'm going to Detroit for my vacation.  Ha!  Take that!"

SAR I

Guess Aruba won...

Archived