Deducing the Jets Draft Board, Part 9: NC Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky

JetNation

Trubisky.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

With the NFL combine behind us and the draft just around the corner, mock drafts will be flooding all of your favorite sports sites at an even more ridiculous rate than they have over the past few weeks.

While it’s always fun to sit back and play armchair GM, trying to predict each of your team’s picks, doing so accurately is impossible.

However, that doesn’t mean you can’t do a little bit of digging to give yourself a better idea as to not only who they’re watching right now, but who they’ve had under the microscope for several months.  Luckily for Jets fans, we’ve done the digging on Gang Green, and over the course of the next few weeks will be sharing some names of players the Jets have shown a significant interest it.

This won’t be based on rumors or speculation, but on certain criteria that must be met:

• Did the Jets dispatch members of their scouting department to at least one of the player’s games during the 2016 season?
  • Did the Jets dispatch members of their scouting department to at least one of the player’s practices during the 2016 season?
  • Did the Jets conduct at least one interview with the player?
  • Did the player participate in the Senior Bowl?  (Mike Maccagnan has drafted several senior bowl participants in his first two seasons) or, did the team attend that player’s pro day as the draft approaches?
  • Does the player fill a need for the Jets?

If all of those questions have a “yes” answer, it’s safe to say the interest shown by the Jets is legitimate, or at least noteworthy.

To view previously highlighted players, visit our draft section here.

Today we take a look at North Carolina Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky.

Having chosen Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg in the second round of last year’s NFL draft, there are those who feel that taking a quarterback in round one this year would mean certain admitted failure for Mike Maccagnan and the New York Jets, but would that really be the case?

We’re talking about a franchise who has been without a quarterback for decades, and even the most optimistic fan couldn’t call Hakenberg anything more than a question mark at this point.  For both the casual observer and for the Jets front office, nobody has seen what Hackenberg can do in live action, so passing on a quarterback who you believe can be a franchise guy simply because you have a question mark in place would be highly irresponsible.

Jets fans would have to look no further than a few years ago when the team had the opportunity to select current Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, but then-GM John Idzik opted not to because he had picked colossal bust Geno Smith just one year earlier.

Should Trubisky go on to be a franchise quarterback with Hackenberg failing to pan out, it would be just another in a long line of draft blunders for Jets fans to point at as the reason why the Jets never find THE guy.

Whether or not it’s a smoke screen remains to be seen, but the Jets, who have stated publicly that they’d like to trade down from the number six spot, are doing an awful lot of flirting with Trubisky.  In addition to sending scouts to watch Trubisky play this past season, the team has continued to show serious interest this offseason.

At this point in time the biggest knock on Trubisky is his lack of reps at the collegiate level.  The signal caller had only 125 pass attempts entering his final season at NC before wowing onlookers with a 2016 season that saw him throw thirty touchdowns to just 6 interceptions while completing an impressive 68% of his passes.

While opinions on this year’s QB class are all over the map, Trubisky is consistently mentioned as one of the top three quarterbacks who will be available on draft day.

One thing that’s seemingly overlooked by those who frown on Trubisky’s inexperience is that last year’s number two overall pick, Carson Wentz, threw just 40 more passes at a lower level of competition (North Dakota State) than Trubisky did at the top level of college football.

Unfortunately for NFL front offices, projecting a young quarterback is more difficult than ever as college offenses go to spread/up-tempo/read option schemes that rarely see them take a snap from under center or have to read a defense as they did years ago, and this year’s class is no different.

According to OptimumScouting’s 2017 draft guide, only Pitt’s Nathan Peterman took fewer than 89% of his snaps from under center and he came in at 78.49%.  Trubisky took a whopping  99.6%, of his snaps out of the shotgun, not far off from the other top QB’s in the class per OptimumScouting:

Josh Dobbs- 99.63%

Jerod Evans- 98.81%

Brad Kaaya- 89.78%

Chad Kelly- 100%

DeShone Kizer- 100%

Patrick Mahomes- 100%

Nathan Peterman- 78.49%

Mitch Trubisky – 99.6%

Deshaun Watson- 100%

Davis Webb- 100%

So when critics throw the “project” label at Trubisky due to  his lack of experience playing in a pro-style offense, it’s a title than can easily be slapped on any QB prospect in the draft.

One could make the argument that the Jets already have two project QB’s on their roster in Hackenberg and Bryce Petty, but if neither one pans out, would it be better to have Trubisky entering year-two as a pro to audition for the job, or to draft another “project” QB in next year’s draft who will likely need another year or two before being ready?

As the old saying goes with quarterbacks, you keep drafting one ’til you find one, and decades after Joe Namath, the Jets are still looking.  If it’s going to be a quarterback in round 1, Trubisky makes as much sense as any QB on the board.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
jajZofdkyO4

Click here to read the full story...

4 minutes ago, thadude said:

And Mayock just rated Kizer no. 1 overall among qbs

I actually like Kizer more than most.  I'd have no problem with him at no. 6 either.  

Did I see the other day that Arians said he was the most pro-ready QB?  Not sure, but feel like I saw that story somewhere.

Didn't Tom Brady ride the bench for most of his college career? Joe Flacco couldn't see the field at Pitt, why he transferred to UDel.

I find it interesting how draft pundits use the fact they didn't start the majority of time in college against him, but then blew up when given the opportunity. What if the coaching staff was just making poor decisions? Or the time on the bench inspired them to become an amazing QB

9 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Didn't Tom Brady ride the bench for most of his college career? Joe Flacco couldn't see the field at Pitt, why he transferred to UDel.

I find it interesting how draft pundits use the fact they didn't start the majority of time in college against him, but then blew up when given the opportunity. What if the coaching staff was just making poor decisions? Or the time on the bench inspired them to become an amazing QB

I don't know how you don't consider it as a negative strike just because there's a few anomalies. There's always a few anomalies no matter how you look at it, be it size, brains, arm, release, winning percentage, program etc etc. 

8 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

Very good point.  I think the pundits look for something to pick on when evaluating these guys and I like that the top knock on Trubisky isn't related to on-field performance.

Just now, hokiejetfan92 said:

that's the rumor about brady but the facts don't support it.  he played quite a bit at michigan. drew henson's stats above tom brady's.  they mainly split snaps in 2000. 

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1998 Michigan Big Ten   QB 7 19 45 42.2 233 5.2 5.5 3 1 103.3
1999 Michigan Big Ten   QB 9 46 89 51.7 546 6.1 5.8 3 2 109.8
2000 Michigan Big Ten JR QB 8 131 217 60.4 1852 8.5 9.2 16 4 152.7
Career Michigan         196 351 55.8 2631 7.5 7.9 22 7 135.5
    Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1996 Michigan Big Ten   QB 2 3 5 60.0 26 5.2 -3.8 0 1 63.7
1997 Michigan Big Ten   QB 4 12 15 80.0 103 6.9 6.9 0 0 137.7
1998 Michigan Big Ten   QB 12 200 323 61.9 2427 7.5 7.0 14 10 133.1
1999 Michigan Big Ten   QB 11 180 295 61.0 2217 7.5 7.7 16 6 138.0
Career Michigan         395 638 61.9 4773 7.5 7.2 30 17

43 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

You guys remember Mark Sanchez? Well peep this: what if we used the 6th overall pick on a guy who's basically that, only less polished

Mark Sanchez couldn't carry Trubisky's  jock.  Will your next thought be original or something someone said that you repeat as your own ?  Frilling troll .

From what I understand, people were projecting Hack to be a top pick after his Freshman year in a pro style system.  If we were able to declare himself eligible, we would have clearly went in the first round.

His stats on 392 attempts, in sum, were a 134 QBR, 58.9% completion percentage, 20 TDs, 10 Int and 7.5 YPA, throwing to Allen Robinson.

Trubisky played full time for one year.  He also had some decent time in the prior years.  His stats dwarf Hack's when you only look at the one year where Hack was considered good on his own and are not blaming his coach and teammates.

On 447 attempts, he had a 157.9 QBR, 68% completion percentage, 30 TDs, 6 Ints and 8.4% YPA.

On one hand Trubisky did have more time in the system.  On the other hand, Hack had Robinson-I don't think any of the UNC receivers were Robinson.

So, even if one takes the view that Hack can be a future starting NFL QB, in a league where QB is the key to everything, there is no basis, based on college production, to say that Hack is better than Trubisky.  If MT is there you take him, and then figure out what to do with the two of them.  There is nothing wrong with being in the QB development and distribution business.

So if your QB if Ryan Tannehill, and you have a chance to pick a future potential Aaron Rodgers with the opportunity to trade Tannehill, do you do it?

I stand by my original proposition-this will be a moot point, because MT will be gone by 6.

Personally I hope we use one of our 3rd round picks on Nathan Peterman.  

Ganggreennation.com has done 2 parts of a 3 part series on the coaches/philosophies that have influenced John Morton and wrote extensively on play action, the running game and rollouts/moving pocket.  Peterman is a kid who doesnt have the strongest arm, but has a lot of positive traits for a QB as far as accuracy, protecting the football, and intangibles and seems like someone who would excel in an offense based on accuracy, timing and play action, similar to what the saints run for Brees.

Investing a 3rd round pick in a guy coming from a pro system (also cold weather team - and has 9 3/4 inch hands) seems to me like a good move in this draft in that it allows us to keep looking for the QB we need, while also filling other positions with our top 2 picks.  

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Ganggreennation.com has done 2 parts of a 3 part series on the coaches/philosophies that have influenced John Morton and wrote extensively on play action, the running game and rollouts/moving pocket.  Peterman is a kid who doesnt have the strongest arm, but has a lot of positive traits for a QB as far as accuracy, protecting the football, and intangibles and seems like someone who would excel in an offense based on accuracy, timing and play action, similar to what the saints run for Brees.

Investing a 3rd round pick in a guy coming from a pro system (also cold weather team - and has 9 3/4 inch hands) seems to me like a good move in this draft in that it allows us to keep looking for the QB we need, while also filling other positions with our top 2 picks.  

http://www.jetnation.com/2017/03/23/deducing-the-jets-draft-board-part-4-pittsburgh-qb-nathan-peterman/#sthash.ATsAZ6GS.dpbs

47 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Mark Sanchez couldn't carry Trubisky's  jock.  Will your next thought be original or something someone said that you repeat as your own ?  Frilling troll .

I know you love you some Trubisky, you know I fear him for all the reason you should.  But I am curious how you can make this claim?  They're very similar in stature, style, play, stats, experience, etc.  They are basically identical when you watch them play too, except I'd argue Mark was asked to push the ball down field a little more.  Mitch ran the ball more and threw a lot of balls around the LOS.  That said, I'd say he has the better arm of the 2.  Overall its splitting hairs to tell the difference between the 2 from my perspective.  

Mark was a 5 star pro style QB recruit coming out of High School.  Mitch a 3 star duel treat style QB coming out.  Both the dreaded underclassmen with 1 year of experience and that's literally never ever worked, ever.  So I'm just curious how you feel that passionate?  It seems like a perfect comparison. 

If we pass on Trubisky and Watson, I hope the Jets don't add a QB at all in this draft .

I would prefer to wait until after the draft and add the best possible candidate with potential to the practice squad .  

Again, ask yourselves what has any of these QB won in college. There is one QB that knows how to win games,even when they look unwindable. There is one QB that we know of on this level,that does this on a regular basis.
Take the winner every time and hope for the best. The odds are more in your favor then some kid in the bottom of the second and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, BCJet said:

Peterman is interesting. I'd prefer a guy with more of a track record, but he was 7th in the nation in AY/A last season. If he's there at 70 he should absolutely be in consideration.

10 hours ago, varjet said:

From what I understand, people were projecting Hack to be a top pick after his Freshman year in a pro style system.  If we were able to declare himself eligible, we would have clearly went in the first round.

His stats on 392 attempts, in sum, were a 134 QBR, 58.9% completion percentage, 20 TDs, 10 Int and 7.5 YPA, throwing to Allen Robinson.

Trubisky played full time for one year.  He also had some decent time in the prior years.  His stats dwarf Hack's when you only look at the one year where Hack was considered good on his own and are not blaming his coach and teammates.

On 447 attempts, he had a 157.9 QBR, 68% completion percentage, 30 TDs, 6 Ints and 8.4% YPA.

On one hand Trubisky did have more time in the system.  On the other hand, Hack had Robinson-I don't think any of the UNC receivers were Robinson.

So, even if one takes the view that Hack can be a future starting NFL QB, in a league where QB is the key to everything, there is no basis, based on college production, to say that Hack is better than Trubisky.  If MT is there you take him, and then figure out what to do with the two of them.  There is nothing wrong with being in the QB development and distribution business.

So if your QB if Ryan Tannehill, and you have a chance to pick a future potential Aaron Rodgers with the opportunity to trade Tannehill, do you do it?

I stand by my original proposition-this will be a moot point, because MT will be gone by 6.

There's a rumor out there that Mac like Trubisky and may trade up to #2 to get him.

24 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

There's a rumor out there that Mac like Trubisky and may trade up to #2 to get him.

I'd take any Jets rumors with less than a grain of salt.  I saw a mock yesterday that had the writer saying "this is a complete guess, because nobody is more tight-lipped than the Jets".  It's not the first time we've seen comments like that from media types on the Jets.  As we saw with the Wilk deal, their biggest signing off the off-season last year, the biggest and most respected insiders in the NFL were reporting that no deal was imminent within an hour or two of the deal being announced.

11 hours ago, JiF said:

I know you love you some Trubisky, you know I fear him for all the reason you should.  But I am curious how you can make this claim?  They're very similar in stature, style, play, stats, experience, etc.  They are basically identical when you watch them play too, except I'd argue Mark was asked to push the ball down field a little more.  Mitch ran the ball more and threw a lot of balls around the LOS.  That said, I'd say he has the better arm of the 2.  Overall its splitting hairs to tell the difference between the 2 from my perspective.  

Mark was a 5 star pro style QB recruit coming out of High School.  Mitch a 3 star duel treat style QB coming out.  Both the dreaded underclassmen with 1 year of experience and that's literally never ever worked, ever.  So I'm just curious how you feel that passionate?  It seems like a perfect comparison. 

Mark-Sanchez-butt-fumble.gif

He can't carry a ball, much less a jock.

18 hours ago, BCJet said:

Frankly I'm surprised Chad Kelly isn't being talked about more. Great arm, throws with anticipation, decent mobility, and isn't afraid to stand in the pocket and make a throw with a defender in his face.  I understand his issues off the field are scaring people, but his talent is undeniable.

He needs his uncle to kick him in the ass and keep him out of trouble, because I think he can be an excellent NFL QB.

With all this talk about the Jets and Mitchell I wouldn't be suprised if they took Watson.

Yea good strategy talk up one qb show the world why you want him. Drive up the interests in that said qb. Hope other teams take him so the qb you want drops to your pick at 6. Brilliant.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

With all this talk of taking a qb at 6 I can see the writing on the wall circa 2004. San Diego Chargers Drew Brees turns all world (2nd round pick) while rivers sits after being picked 4th overall.
Hackenberg (2nd round pick) turns all world while newly drafted QB at 6 overall sits.

At that time the Chargers had some fairly big woes at drafting and development of QBs then they end up with 2 FQB's on their roster.

The Jets can dream.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, fltflo said:

Again, ask yourselves what has any of these QB won in college. There is one QB that knows how to win games,even when they look unwindable. There is one QB that we know of on this level,that does this on a regular basis.
Take the winner every time and hope for the best. The odds are more in your favor then some kid in the bottom of the second and beyond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Sanchez?

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

I'd take any Jets rumors with less than a grain of salt.  I saw a mock yesterday that had the writer saying "this is a complete guess, because nobody is more tight-lipped than the Jets".  It's not the first time we've seen comments like that from media types on the Jets.  As we saw with the Wilk deal, their biggest signing off the off-season last year, the biggest and most respected insiders in the NFL were reporting that no deal was imminent within an hour or two of the deal being announced.

Trust me on this one.  Last year, I posted about a month (maybe more) before the draft that the Jets liked Hackenberg.

22 hours ago, JiF said:

One of my guilty pleasures is amateur scouting . I scout everyone, but I prefer to look at QBs .  I don't give a hoot about completion percentage or TDs to Ints ratios or stuff like that . What I look at is command of the offense, command of the huddle, leadership of the players with whom you execute a scheme, ball placement, how many defenders are around the receiver and how a QB respond when he makes a mistake .

It's why I like Cutler, why I liked Pennington why I liked Hackenberg, why I'm all in on Trubisky and why I always like Eli better than Peyton .  It's hard to  explain, but there's a feel you get when you see what you  want in a prospect . I know Peyton is a 1st ballot HOF, and Eli is a borderline candidate, but I get much more amped about a QB leading nothing to something than a QB leading an all-star cast to a championship .

Everyone got amped  about the drive Darnold made than won the game for USC, but Trubisky did that same thing a few times last year and again in the Bowl game . He sat and when it was his turn, he shined . I don't think he's a opening day starter, but I'm giving him the chance and see what happens .

In his only starting season at Chapel Hill, that kid mastered the offensive scheme his HC was using. In 3 years under  Schotty, Mark Sanchez couldn't figure out the complex scheme the kid was trying to run forcing the HC to run a basic scheme .

It's hard to explain, but you know it when you see it . All last yr I never scouted that Kid the Eagles drafted, until I realized people were serious . Then I started looking at him and I knew  . He reminded me of a bigger, more athletic and stronger Pennington . Scouting that kid, his ball fakes immediately reminded me of Pennington .  I made a post last year about trading the entire draft class for Wentz . I won't do that for Trubisky, but I will say he's a better prospect than anything we have on the roster right now including my boy Hack .

Archived