Schefter: Jeremy Bates is Jets’ Most Underrated Off-Season Acquisition

JetNation

On 4/7/2017 at 1:45 PM, Tinstar said:

Once the OTAs begin, can the coaches have access to the players off the field at their leisure ? I know on the field workouts are limited, but what about meetings with the coaches to discuss the playbook ect ect .

I still am not connecting the dots as to why this is a response to your "calling you out Sperm Edwards" post.

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I still am not connecting the dots as to why this is a response to your "calling you out Sperm Edwards" post.

I think he thinks you think you know the answer to the question about when coaches can start meeting with players

On 4/7/2017 at 2:04 PM, Tinstar said:

So then the question would be what qualities determine a "good QB" .

You don't know?

• Accuracy. Not just mere completion percentage, but good ball placement. Badly thrown balls can still be caught, but they cost YAC (if not TDs outright).
  • Care with the football. It's been ages since we've had someone reliably displaying this attribute.
  • Adequate-enough arm strength (though a big cannon is never a bad thing)
  • Poise in the pocket (good internal clock; senses pressure when it's there, doesn't feel pressure that isn't there, knows when to stand back in the pocket and when to move up into it)
  • Ability to run through progressions without the need for a comfy, 6-second pocket, since at the NFL level these former college big shots find that their mismatch #1 targets aren't open just because the plays are drawn up to go to them at given times. And progressions aren't: (1) designed target (2) RB (3) keep it and run. You have a QB that can do this then a few adequate targets become more important than a top-tier WR that makes circus catches 3x a month.
  • Some things are great to have already out of school, but can become 2nd nature with experience, like knowing when it's worth a gamble deep and when to take the sure first down. Just because a play is called doesn't mean go with that first option even if it's not there. That's been a big problem the past couple years: making low percentage deeper throws, to guys with somewhat tight coverage on them, even when we're in short yardage. 
  • At the same time, he can't be a total puss with the ball, waiting for someone to gain 3-5 yds of separation before he'll let it loose.
  • Height is also nice. It's not the end-all that it's made out to be, as some of the best QBs of the past 10-20 yrs were 6'2" tall or shorter, but all other things being equal I'd prefer a 6'4" tall QB to a 6'1" tall QB. All those other things are rarely so equal, though.
  • Proven track record for success against decent (if not good) competition. It's not that a player can't be good/great without it, but it makes a positive outcome that much harder to predict. 

After that, you'd just have to see the guy play and make a judgment with your eyes. A prospect can check off some of these of boxes on paper and still be terrible as a pro QB.

1 minute ago, JoeC36 said:

I think he thinks you think you know the answer to the question about when coaches can start meeting with players

Oh. I took it as a challenge.

@Tinstar using the googles this is what I could find for the Jets:

sportingnews.com

First day: April 17

OTA offseason workouts: May 23-25, May 30-31, June 1, June 5-8

Mandatory minicamp: June 13-15

cbssports.com

First day: April 18

OTAs: May 24-26, May 31, June 1-2, June 6-9

Mandatory mincamp: June 14-16

On 4/7/2017 at 10:48 AM, Augustiniak said:

if you put a guy like cousins on the jets with rex as the hc and crap coaches on offense, he does not develop as he did.  you'd need a stud qb to overcome the lack of coaching.  that's where i see the difference.  a guy like hackenberg needs real coaching, he was good with a good coach at penn state and sucked when they changed the coach.  

that said, i do believe they are going to take trubisky and that he will be the starting qb on opening day.

I can't see them grabbing a QB with so little a track record when we have 2 guys that we're already unsure of. I still think they trade down and load up picks if they can so we can grab a QB next year if Hack sh1ts the bed.

I want to believe in Hack but the season Franklin just put together gives me a lot of pause to simply blame coaching, new system and all.

48 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Oh. I took it as a challenge.

@Tinstar using the googles this is what I could find for the Jets:

sportingnews.com

First day: April 17

OTA offseason workouts: May 23-25, May 30-31, June 1, June 5-8

Mandatory minicamp: June 13-15

cbssports.com

First day: April 18

OTAs: May 24-26, May 31, June 1-2, June 6-9

Mandatory mincamp: June 14-16

What I am interested in knowing is if Morton can talk to his QBs between April 17 and May 23 without the Jets breaking some idiotic rule .

On 4/8/2017 at 6:41 PM, Tinstar said:

What I am interested in knowing is if Morton can talk to his QBs between April 17 and May 23 without the Jets breaking some idiotic rule .

I never really thought about it. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd think since he's on the team so they can talk to him whenever they want; the limitations are only on making him do anything (particularly anything physical). 

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I never really thought about it. Maybe I'm wrong but I'd think since he's on the team so they can talk to him whenever they want; the limitations are only on making him do anything (particularly anything physical). 

The reason I asked is because I heard something about a player asking for his playbook, but the coach couldn't give it to him because of the CBA rules . I realize players can't have physical contact monitored by coaches until the CBA allows, but I don't see how those rules can prevent players from organizing together like Sanchez used too in cali.

It would be nice for Hack the QBs to work with the receivers on patterns from the playbook before the coaches can get them together .  

27 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The reason I asked is because I heard something about a player asking for his playbook, but the coach couldn't give it to him because of the CBA rules . I realize players can't have physical contact monitored by coaches until the CBA allows, but I don't see how those rules can prevent players from organizing together like Sanchez used too in cali.

It would be nice for Hack the QBs to work with the receivers on patterns from the playbook before the coaches can get them together .  

The players themselves can do what they want on their own, whether they're practicing tossing/catching or it's a pickup game of hoops. That's the distinction between between that team activity outside the organization and organized team activities (OTAs). Lots of players do that in the offseason, but it can be with players on other teams as well if they so desire.

If it's a coach+player communication, ok I found something and I was wrong:

If he's on the team and under contract, they can talk (e.g. "Hey, how's the family?") but it can't be anything about football-related until OTAs. No coaching a player, talking about games, playbooks, or anything of the sort. It was probably done for reasons on both sides. For the players, so none would have a leg up on those who didn't want to (or were recovering from injury/surgery) in the offseason, and so they technically would be working that much less without payment. For the teams, so they could point to injuries happening on a player's own time (for contracts guaranteed for injury-only). It's still sucky, though.

Unless he's paying to work with Palmer, or he's getting together with other players (likely not happening while he's 3rd string), Hackenberg is on his own until OTAs.

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The players themselves can do what they want on their own, whether they're practicing tossing/catching or it's a pickup game of hoops. That's the distinction between between that team activity outside the organization and organized team activities (OTAs). Lots of players do that in the offseason, but it can be with players on other teams as well if they so desire.

If he's on the team and under contract, they can talk (e.g. "Hey, how's the family?") but it can't be anything about football-related until OTAs. No coaching a player, talking about games, playbooks, or anything of the sort. It was probably done for reasons on both sides. For the players, so none would have a leg up on those who didn't want to (or were recovering from injury/surgery) in the offseason, and so they technically would be working that much less without payment. For the teams, so they could point to injuries happening on a player's own time (for contracts guaranteed for injury-only). It's still sucky, though.

Unless he's paying to work with Palmer, or he's getting together with other players (likely not happening while he's 3rd string), Hackenberg is on his own until OTAs.

With this practice arrangement, it's almost impossible to properly develop players who aren't 1st string  .

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I thought I read somewhere that he's working with Palmer in the offseason.

Deshaun Watson also trains with Palmer, which is (sort of) interesting.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

With this practice arrangement, it's almost impossible to properly develop players who aren't 1st string  .

Yep. The coaches hate it. Here's an article I found from around this time in '14 that discusses it, from the POV of the Bengals & Ravens (though coaches of all teams likely feel exactly the same). Just what we're discussing:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/04/26/coaches-players-talk-shop-nfl-agreement/8227871/

Coaches and players can’t talk shop under NFL agreement

By Paul Dehner Jr. 6:55 p.m. ET April 26, 2014

Hue Jackson loves to talk. To just about anyone. Wandering through the Bengals’ locker room, he’ll stop to chat with a player. He’ll dip off and converse with a coach. He’ll interject himself into a discussion just to slip a joke in on a group a linemen.

Only, until Monday, when the Bengals’ voluntary offseason program began at Paul Brown Stadium, when Jackson walked by a player working out in the weight room, he would often look the other way, his mouth shut.

Silence. Because the NFL told him to.

“I say hello, how you doing,” Jackson said. “Sometimes I don’t say anything because I don’t want one thing to lead to another.”

The new collective bargaining agreement agreed to in 2011 dictates that until the offseason program begins, players and coaches are not allowed to talk football, hold meetings, look at a playbook, watch film or do any other football-related activity. Players can’t work out with the team strength coach even if he’s standing at the bench press next to him.

“That’s weird because they are here and they are available for us to use, but we can’t use them,” defensive end Carlos Dunlap said. “So, basically, they are training the coaches.”

Dunlap joked and laughed at the concept of coaches sculpting their “beach bodies” under the supervision of the strength and conditioning staff. But of late, these rules elicited little laughter across the league.

At the league meetings in Orlando in February, Baltimore coach John Harbaugh unleashed on the system that keeps coaches from working with developing players motivated to get a jump on the next season.

“The management council and the players association have got to get together and help us as organizations and coaches help our young players develop as people and players,” Harbaugh said, via Jamison Hensley of ESPN. “I mean, come on. You hold us responsible and want us to be a factor in their lives like the mentoring program and things like that. Give us a chance.”

Teams with new coaches can start their program two weeks earlier than those with a returning head coach. The Bengals started April 21.

These rules altered the schedule of the previous offseason programs because players wanted to avoid coaches constantly pushing conditioning, film study and other football activities on them during a break from the rigors of the season. This would leave an opportunity for going back to school or just feeling safe away from the building without thinking they are falling behind.

Wide receiver A.J. Green keeps his reps if he doesn’t spend extra time poring over film with his position coach. Veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth doesn’t need to spend extra time in March picking the brain of offensive line coach Paul Alexander.

For veterans, these rules make sense and avoid any confusion. The point of Harbaugh and many coaches across the league would be that hundreds of undrafted free agents, late-round draft picks or developmental prospects who have not cashed in on a large contract and search for any way to raise their level of play are being denied such an opportunity.

“They want to prove to their teammates and peers that they belong,” Jackson said. “They don’t want to go out there the first time and not look like they know what they are doing. By not having specified coaching earlier than most, they don’t get a chance to do that.

“The guys that do are very special and they hit the ground running and they play. The guys that don’t, it’s not because they can’t play, it’s because maybe they need the extra time to learn the system. That’s tough for those guys.”

For the Bengals, with new coordinators Jackson and Paul Guenther, a chance to check in with players about possible changes to the systems or to gauge reaction to ideas would go a long way. Instead, they waited until this week to go over their months of work.

The conversations stay simple.

“We just talk about how has everything been, how you feeling and how is training? That’s pretty much it,” said wide receiver Marvin Jones, who spent the majority of the offseason at his home in Burlington, Ky., and working out at PBS.

Harbaugh led the charge for the NFLPA and the league to come together to find solutions to a rule he blames on politics. As of now, nothing appears on the horizon.

For Jackson, the thrill of talking football with whoever crosses his path has returned. And it couldn’t come soon enough.

“You have to be OK with it because 31 other teams are facing the same dilemma,” Jackson said. “At the end of the day there are rules that are established for a reason. There are league-wide rules and you have to follow them. Everyone understands them and respects them. Do we all wish they were different? Yeah.

“The players that are there and want to get better, you wish you could talk to them and do the things that will help make them a better football player, but at the end of the day you got to do the right thing.” 

On 4/7/2017 at 1:45 PM, Tinstar said:

Once the OTAs begin, can the coaches have access to the players off the field at their leisure ? I know on the field workouts are limited, but what about meetings with the coaches to discuss the playbook ect ect .

No

They can have casual talks about health, or non-football related topics, but can't talk play book, watch film, or discuss any related football topics.

This rule isn't really an NFL rule, but a part of the conditions the players insisted on in the CBA.  The PC answer of "why"? is that players don't want to be forced to attend OTA's 4 times a week during the off-season.  The actual reason is that the veterans want to make it harder for a hard charging, gym rat type rookie to take their high paying jobs 

On 4/7/2017 at 9:30 AM, Augustiniak said:

but i think trubisky wins the job.

What do you base this on? Between McCown, Hack, Petty and Trubinsky, you think Mitchell wins the job? After one year in a gimmick college offense?

If they draft Trubinsky, he will be automatically pushed to the bottom of the depth chart (like Hack last year) and will have to work his way up. He will have the most to learn and the least amount of reps. If the Jets draft him, I think he is WAY more likely to sit buried on the depth chart than to win the starting gig. Even if the trade or cut Petty.

That's just MHO.   

This is one of the things, along with the spread O taking over college football, that makes it so difficult for a young talented QB like petty or Hack to improve in the NFL.  They have to hire private QB tutors like Pennington to help them adjust.  Problem is these guys are expensive, and 4th rounders like Petty don't really have the money to hire them.  plus the tutor doesn't  have explicit knowledge of the play book that the young player is trying to learn.

IMO a fair CBA should allow an exemption to a young QB who wants to put the time in.  of course the vets don't want that

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

This is one of the things, along with the spread O taking over college football, that makes it so difficult for a young talented QB like petty or Hack to improve in the NFL.  They have to hire private QB tutors like Pennington to help them adjust.  Problem is these guys are expensive, and 4th rounders like Petty don't really have the money to hire them.  plus the tutor doesn't  have explicit knowledge of the play book that the young player is trying to learn.

IMO a fair CBA should allow an exemption to a young QB who wants to put the time in.  of course the vets don't want that

or they suck and the only reason that colleges run certain offenses is because they don't have a good QB

On 4/7/2017 at 8:10 AM, JiF said:

That is an interesting take.  I'm just hoping when he said the Jets that he knows something we dont about a certain young man with the initials DW. 

Whoa... That's very interesting...

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

You don't think at 6 do ya?

In a world where Trubisky goes 1, why not? 

it's a pick that would inspire hope while at the same time allow the team to lose every single damn game. It's a perfect Jets pick. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

In a world where Trubisky goes 1, why not? 

it's a pick that would inspire hope while at the same time allow the team to lose every single damn game. It's a perfect Jets pick. 

LOL

Well if Macc pulls the trigger on it he'll be staking his GM job on it.  After taking Hack in the 2nd last year he'll be staking his reputation in the league.

But, if he hits on either one, the other pick won't matter

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Well if Macc pulls the trigger on it he'll be staking his GM job on it.  After taking Hack in the 2nd last year he'll be staking his reputation in the league.

But, if he hits on either one, the other pick won't matter

Ok so think about this from Mac's perspective

They were the only team who thought it was smart to carry 4 QBs last year. The QB situation is even worse.

He gives Mahomes the scholarship that Hack had last year. 

Petty and Hack are live for reps this year, all of his QB draft picks would technically still be "alive" 

Yes you are right he stakes his GM job on it but meanwhile Mahomes is so damn raw, Mac maybe buys himself 3 or 4 more seasons for this dude to develop.

He isn't going to get unlimited chances to make this QB pick. If the Jets tank for Darnold they also might want a new guy making this picks. Someone who didn't believe in Hackenberg for example. 

Jets fans will buy tickets and Mahomes jerseys based on his 80-yard throw in pro day and the fact that his dad was a Mets relief pitcher.

It's friggin perfect.  

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ok so think about this from Mac's perspective

They were the only team who thought it was smart to carry 4 QBs last year. The QB situation is even worse.

He gives Mahomes the scholarship that Hack had last year. 

Petty and Hack are live for reps this year, all of his QB draft picks would technically still be "alive" 

Yes you are right he stakes his GM job on it but meanwhile Mahomes is so damn raw, Mac maybe buys himself 3 or 4 more seasons for this dude to develop.

He isn't going to get unlimited chances to make this QB pick. If the Jets tank for Darnold they also might want a new guy making this picks. Someone who didn't believe in Hackenberg for example. 

Jets fans will buy tickets and Mahomes jerseys based on his 80-yard throw in pro day and the fact that his dad was a Mets relief pitcher.

It's friggin perfect.  

This pretty much nails it. The fact that he's a huge project and has tiny hands and will probably be available in the 2nd are all just bonuses.

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This pretty much nails it. The fact that he's a huge project and has tiny hands and will probably be available in the 2nd are all just bonuses.

18 career fumbles. Cant find the sack rate, but certainly an issue. Their offense looks awfully similar to what Geno was doing at WV. Add in the small hands/fumbles. Meh.

Just now, Matt39 said:

18 career fumbles. Cant find the sack rate, but certainly an issue. Their offense looks awfully similar to what Geno was doing at WV. Add in the small hands/fumbles. Meh.

The Jets may as well start selling his jersey now. I can't think of a marriage that was more meant to be.

I'm curious to see what is the dynamic and philosophy of this new offensive coaching regime. There is some weird overlap:

From '02-'04 Bates worked under Gruden, Mike Heimerdinger Jets '05, & Both "Dinger & Shanahan in Denver 2006 thru 2008. He then becomes OC for Pete Carroll at USC in 2009.

John Morton worked w/Harbaugh under  Gruden in Oak, called plays under Harbaugh, and was ALSO the OC for USC under Carroll in 2009. 

"Morton's only experience calling plays came under Harbaugh at San Diego U." in 2005

"Bates called plays from the field while Morton worked from the coaches' booth in the press box" in 2009 at USC. But Morton never called plays.

in 2010 Bates becomes the OC under Carroll in Seattle and was fired after 1 year due to "philosophical differences:"

"Bates drew criticism for certain play calls, specifically on several deep throws made on third-and-short situations. However, a departure this sudden hints at a deeper philosophical divide.

This is an offense whose offensive-line coach abruptly retired one week before the regular season began, and started 10 different offensive-line configurations in 16 regular-season games."

Meanwhile Morton was NOT brought along by SB-wining coach Carroll to Seattle and toiled as a WRs coach in SF and NOLA. Bates was then out of football for a year, then lasted only 2012 as a QB coach. He is now QB coach for the NY jets after being OUT OF THE LEAGUE for the last 5 years. 

So Bates AND Morton worked rather closely for a year and now find themselves with the Jets and their respective roles reversed with Morton now calling the plays. 

Where is the hope?

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

I'm curious to see what is the dynamic and philosophy of this new offensive coaching regime. There is some weird overlap:

Bates worked under Gruden and Shanahan thru 2008. He then becomes OC for Pete Carroll at USC in 2009.

John Morton worked w/Harbaugh under  Gruden in Oak, called plays under Harbaugh, and was ALSO the OC for USC under Carroll in 2009. 

"Morton's only experience calling plays came under Harbaugh at San Diego U." in 2005

"Bates called plays from the field while Morton worked from the coaches' booth in the press box" in 2009 at USC. But Morton never called plays.

in 2010 Bates becomes the OC under Carroll in Seattle and was fired after 1 year due to "philosophical differences:"

"Bates drew criticism for certain play calls, specifically on several deep throws made on third-and-short situations. However, a departure this sudden hints at a deeper philosophical divide.

This is an offense whose offensive-line coach abruptly retired one week before the regular season began, and started 10 different offensive-line configurations in 16 regular-season games."

Meanwhile Morton was NOT brought along by SB-wining coach Carroll to Seattle and toiled as a WRs coach in SF and NOLA. Bates was then out of football for a year, then lasted only 2012 as a QB coach. He is now QB coach for the NY jets after being OUT OF THE LEAGUE for the last 5 years. 

So Bates AND Morton worked rather closely for a year and now find themselves with the Jets and their respective roles reversed with Morton now calling the plays. 

Where is the hope?

LOL

That is a pretty grim piece 

Futhermore, 

Seeing that both Morton and Bates started under Jon Gruden, and then went on to pupil under Jim Harbaugh (Morton) and Heimerdinger/Shanahan (Bates) to then converge under Carroll in 2009 tell me that this will be a HIGH Efficiency, intermediate routes, two TE set offensive passing game PRIORITIZING ACCURACY and complimented by a power running game that sets up the play-action pass: a.k.a. THE WEST COAST OFFENSE.

Now, from MY understanding, that offense seems to emphasize a short passing game based on precision and timing (the Paul Hackett years) and (last I saw/heard) those QB traits are NOT the strong points of our 2 young and "developing" QBs selected these last two drafts, not that they can't improve that facet of their game. 

I love what Hack has to offer, and believe he needs to see the field before passing ANY judgment on him as a player, but even I acknowledge that his short passing game and timing (from what I saw in games) are NOT his strong suit and probably needed the MOST work out his skills. Despite what other trolls declare, I saw enough flashes from Petty that he's NOT a lost cause and a QB that needs more reps and experience; an OLine that won't get him killed on EVERY TD pass he throws would help too. 

So going from Gailey's SPREAD style offense to (JUST my SPECULATION) a WCO style under Morton MAY shift the skills now favored by the current offensive staff. Favoring ACCURACY, release/timing and mental acumen more so than simple Ryan Mallet-esque arm strength and velocity ripping it to a 4 spread WR set. 

IF the Jets DO select a QB in this draft, it'll be interesting to see what, if any, particular traits the new guys seek in a QB prospect.

Heck, I recall last year people were perplexed that Cleveland took Cody Kessler SO EARLY at the end of the 3rd round, and Jackson stated because THEY loved and prioritized his quick release and HIGH accuracy as a passer despite being a noodle arm and waif. 

Archived