Kevin Greene

flgreen

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

don't get me wrong.  greene was a really good linebacker but he was not on the level of LT or derrick thomas.  he made it up with desire and hard work. and most gifted just means having god given physical ability.  there are tons of guys who could run faster or bench more or be better jumpers and so on.  greene was a great football player.

I will take Dick Lebeau's words as gospel when it comes to Greene. He described him as having the strongest upper body of any player he ever coached and one of the most talented pass rushers ever. He also gushed about his ability to stop the run.

He is right up there with LT and Thomas. 

21 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

I will take Dick Lebeau's words as gospel when it comes to Greene. He described him as having the strongest upper body of any player he ever coached and one of the most talented pass rushers ever. He also gushed about his ability to stop the run.

If Kevin Greene played for the Giants, he'd be considered an all time great. 

21 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

You guys are splitting hairs here.  All the OP meant was he didn't share the ideal measurables that you look for in players. You can say the same about many HOFers. At this point the thread is just mental masturbation.

I read a quote from Greene when he stepped away from coaching pros.  Something like i am teaching other people's kids to play football while my own kid wants me to teach him.  Pretty decent of him, putting family before profession. 

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

You guys are splitting hairs here.  All the OP meant was he didn't share the ideal measurables that you look for in players. You can say the same about many HOFers. At this point the thread is just mental masturbation.

No hair splitting. The guy is an all time great. Case closed. Some folks like to hang the "not the most talented blue collar lunch pail high motor overachiever has intangibles" on star players that dont fit their ideal of what a pro football player should look like. Ge the drift? Why? Who knows, ask them.

By the way you and others mention he didnt have ideal measureables.....can you or anyone tell me what his measurables were??

Is it even fair to say that without knowing?

3 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

By the way you and others mention he didnt have ideal measureables.....can you or anyone tell me what his measurables were??

Is it even fair to say that without knowing?

You are right. I can't say for sure.  Just going with what I remember.  He was seen as a tweener, plenty fast, but not big enough for a 4-3 DE.  I also remember him saying that he was an unknown in college, and had to add weight to even sniff playing time his senior year. 

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Being a great player vs a great coach are 2 entirely different things.  I have no idea if his skills as a player will translate well to coaching.  Personally, I don't understand all the enthusiasm about this hire.

He did just fine in GB and he's unlikely to be seen sleepwalking on the sideline a la Kacy Rodgers.

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Being a great player vs a great coach are 2 entirely different things.  I have no idea if his skills as a player will translate well to coaching.  Personally, I don't understand all the enthusiasm about this hire.

His knowledge of the position, knowledge of the game, and his passion to teach. I wish Bowles had this guys fire in his blood.  Hopefully the players respond well to him, can't be any worse than last year, right??? Well, I will just leave it at that.

On 5/8/2017 at 7:54 AM, Maxman said:

Two this'es don't make a that.

Maybe not, but three lefts make a right.

On 5/8/2017 at 11:16 AM, Kleckineau said:

Thomas isn't even right up there with LT.  You might as well start listing guys like Ricky Jackson.  Butkus is probably the only guy I would put up there with that crazy crackhead. HOF and GOAT are not the same.

On 5/8/2017 at 11:39 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Kevin Greene played for the Giants, he'd be considered an all time great. 

Sure.  Like Harry Carson.  Another guy that couldn't carry LT's jock.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maybe because he held the same position in Green Bay when they put up some monster sack numbers?  The one year their sack numbers were down, they won the super bowl?  I'm sure most of that was Capers and Mathews, but there is no reason people shouldn't be enthusiastic.

4 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

He will be the interim HC at some point this season

That would be perfect, the most Jetsy reactions to Bowles being a failure would be to promote an assistant with no experience, who "makes the players want to run through walls for him" because he speaks the Jockstrapanese that Rex Ryan spoke to the fans.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Maybe not, but three lefts make a right.

Thomas isn't even right up there with LT.  You might as well start listing guys like Ricky Jackson.  Butkus is probably the only guy I would put up there with that crazy crackhead. HOF and GOAT are not the same.

Sure.  Like Harry Carson.  Another guy that couldn't carry LT's jock.

Maybe because he held the same position in Green Bay when they put up some monster sack numbers?  The one year their sack numbers were down, they won the super bowl?  I'm sure most of that was Capers and Mathews, but there is no reason people shouldn't be enthusiastic.

Harry Carson lol....... really?

7 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Coaches and players, Bowles is assembling people described as "alphas" who "love the game." I think this will be a great hire and he stays even if Bowles is gone.

Roster him.  He'd be the best OLB on our team

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

That would be perfect, the most Jetsy reactions to Bowles being a failure would be to promote an assistant with no experience, who "makes the players want to run through walls for him" because he speaks the Jockstrapanese that Rex Ryan spoke to the fans.

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Can't be worse than Bowles

That is exactly what I'm thinking

19 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Where is the line drawn though? Isn't that why he was hired as an assistant in the first place?

14 minutes ago, thadude said:

At least Kevin Greene would be interesting

I like Kevin Greene....alot.

As a LB DE hybrid he has very few peers.

Having said that I doubt he is ready to be a HC and who knows if he ever will be.

Makes me think of Mike Singletary's stint with SF.

Archived