Ravens using 10 percent of 2017 cap on players no longer with team

Gas2No99

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- A big reason why the Baltimore Ravens have among the smallest amount of salary-cap room in the NFL is that they are using a chunk of their space on players no longer on the team.

The Ravens are devoting 10 percent of their cap -- $16.7 million -- to players who have been cut before their contracts expired. Only the Los Angeles Chargerscurrently rank higher than the Ravens in "dead money."

This is what happens when a team invests some sizable money into players whose production falls off before the end of their contracts.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0726%2Fr107109_1

Former Ravens offensive tackle Eugene Monroe counts $4.4 million against the team's 2017 cap after being cut last offseasonAP Photo/David Richard

The biggest "dead money" hit on the Ravens this year comes from someone who hasn't played for the team since November 2015. Offensive tackle Eugene Monroe counts $4.4 million against this year's cap after being a post-June 1 cut last offseason, which allowed Baltimore to split his $6.6 million cap hit over two seasons.

How big is Monroe's cap hit on this year's team? Only nine players on the Ravens currently count more against the cap than him.

Monroe was cut just 27 months after the Ravens gave him $17.5 million in guaranteed money. All Baltimore got in return was 17 starts. He has since retired.

In total, there are five players who count more than $2 million in cap dollars and are no longer with Baltimore.

Dennis Pitta was the most unexpected "dead money" hit. Pitta was Joe Flacco’s favorite target last season after leading all tight ends with 86 receptions. But he fractured his right hip for the third time in five years this offseason and was released.

Pitta will count $2.7 million against this year's cap, which is the highest for any Ravens tight end outside of Benjamin Watson. Pitta also will account for $2.2 million in "dead money" in 2018 because he was cut after June 1.

The three other biggest "dead money" cap hits -- cornerback Shareece Wright ($2.66 million), linebacker Elvis Dumervil ($2.37 million) and center Jeremy Zuttah ($2.2 million) -- had disappointing seasons last year.

Wright allowed six touchdowns in 12 games played. Dumervil recorded a career-worst three sacks after coming back from an Achilles injury. And Zuttah often was pushed back by bigger defensive linemen. Baltimore cut Wright and Dumervil in March and traded Zuttah to the San Francisco 49ers.

The Ravens typically are in the middle of the league in "dead money." Baltimore has ranked in the top 10 only twice in the previous five years, and it came in at No. 14 in 2016.

the New York Jets:

Dead Money

Name Cap Number
Darrelle Revis $6,000,000
Ryan Fitzpatrick $5,000,000
Eric Decker $1,500,000
Marcus Gilchrist $1,375,000
Calvin Pryor $1,136,955
Jarvis Jenkins $750,000
Breno Giacomini $625,000
Nick Folk $593,334
Jace Amaro $360,545
TOTAL $17,579,936

Team Cap Space: $24,162,469

The dead money is a non-story.  Nobody saw Revis falling off a cliff the way he did so he had to be let go.

The dead money from Fitz was done intentionally to give him the $12 mil he wanted but spreading it out over two seasons.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

The dead money is a non-story.  Nobody saw Revis falling off a cliff the way he did so he had to be let go.

The dead money from Fitz was done intentionally to give him the $12 mil he wanted but spreading it out over two seasons.

Dead money at those rates clearly imply cap mismanagement by the FO. Revis did not fall off a cliff. He got fat and lazy. Then he further insulted the Jets by not hustling and tackling on the field to avoid any further injury. The 2 QB signings are just plain stupid. To misappropriate  funds like that is pure incompetence by the FO

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

They definitely did that on purpose and for that reason Macc can't make another big mistake. He whiffed on that one and really needs to be right on one of the young QBs.

15 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- A big reason why the Baltimore Ravens have among the smallest amount of salary-cap room in the NFL is that they are using a chunk of their space on players no longer on the team.

The Ravens are devoting 10 percent of their cap -- $16.7 million -- to players who have been cut before their contracts expired. Only the Los Angeles Chargerscurrently rank higher than the Ravens in "dead money."

This is what happens when a team invests some sizable money into players whose production falls off before the end of their contracts.

Former Ravens offensive tackle Eugene Monroe counts $4.4 million against the team's 2017 cap after being cut last offseasonAP Photo/David Richard

The biggest "dead money" hit on the Ravens this year comes from someone who hasn't played for the team since November 2015. Offensive tackle Eugene Monroe counts $4.4 million against this year's cap after being a post-June 1 cut last offseason, which allowed Baltimore to split his $6.6 million cap hit over two seasons.

How big is Monroe's cap hit on this year's team? Only nine players on the Ravens currently count more against the cap than him.

Monroe was cut just 27 months after the Ravens gave him $17.5 million in guaranteed money. All Baltimore got in return was 17 starts. He has since retired.

In total, there are five players who count more than $2 million in cap dollars and are no longer with Baltimore.

Dennis Pitta was the most unexpected "dead money" hit. Pitta was Joe Flacco’s favorite target last season after leading all tight ends with 86 receptions. But he fractured his right hip for the third time in five years this offseason and was released.

Pitta will count $2.7 million against this year's cap, which is the highest for any Ravens tight end outside of Benjamin Watson. Pitta also will account for $2.2 million in "dead money" in 2018 because he was cut after June 1.

The three other biggest "dead money" cap hits -- cornerback Shareece Wright ($2.66 million), linebacker Elvis Dumervil ($2.37 million) and center Jeremy Zuttah ($2.2 million) -- had disappointing seasons last year.

Wright allowed six touchdowns in 12 games played. Dumervil recorded a career-worst three sacks after coming back from an Achilles injury. And Zuttah often was pushed back by bigger defensive linemen. Baltimore cut Wright and Dumervil in March and traded Zuttah to the San Francisco 49ers.

The Ravens typically are in the middle of the league in "dead money." Baltimore has ranked in the top 10 only twice in the previous five years, and it came in at No. 14 in 2016.

the New York Jets:

Dead Money

Name Cap Number
Eric Decker $1,500,000
Calvin Pryor $1,136,955
Jarvis Jenkins $750,000
Breno Giacomini $625,000
Nick Folk $593,334
Jace Amaro $360,545
TOTAL $17,579,936

The difference is that the Ravens are still going to make the playoffs

Revis not only loosing it but turning into a soft, low effort dog of a player is one of the most disappointing things I've seen in football.

There have been plenty of good players that suddenly got bad but I've not witnessed too many players that were elite go bad, get soft, bet lazy, still over paid horribly, and complain about being treated badly.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

"Falling off a cliff the way he did" or not, there was always an excellent chance he wasn't going to be worth $15m at age 32. In his prior contract the year before, at age 29, it's not clear he was worth that amount then (nor was he paid that amount then either, was cut rather than pay that amount from a team that most wanted him to pan out for them, and he signed for that significantly-less amount quickly instead of holding out for a bidding war).

Even New England's offer stopped at 2 years guaranteed. It could be further argued they topped out even at that offer, already knowing it was unacceptable to Revis, knowing they'd be outbid by the cap-flush Jets and wanting to drive up the price, and further still knowing they'd be filing tampering charges they hoped would stick to further rob us of a draft pick. In short, it's not a stretch to suggest they Gholston/DRob'd us again.

The entire pricetag for Fitz - all $12m - is dead money, since all $12m would be available for other players if it didn't go to Fitz. It's just a meaningless accounting asterisk to suggest only $5m of it's dead money.

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The entire pricetag for Fitz - all $12m - is dead money, since all $12m would be available for other players if it didn't go to Fitz. It's just a meaningless accounting asterisk to suggest only $5m of it's dead money.

Using that logic Giacomini was way more upsetting than Fitzpatrick. Sure it was upsetting to pay Fitzpatrick while trotting him out there, week after week, to play like sh*t.  Giacomini wasn't able to play from before camp.  He was sitting on the PUP list "earning" around $5M.  A 31 year old below average guard - surely part of the future!  That money wasn't guaranteed and the only thing they saved was spreading the dinky amount left of his sub-$3M signing bonus.  Idiots.

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Using that logic Giacomini was way more upsetting than Fitzpatrick. Sure it was upsetting to pay Fitzpatrick while trotting him out there, week after week, to play like sh*t.  Giacomini wasn't able to play from before camp.  He was sitting on the PUP list "earning" around $5M.  A 31 year old below average guard - surely part of the future!  That money wasn't guaranteed and the only thing they saved was spreading the dinky amount left of his sub-$3M signing bonus.  Idiots.

Also a  non-story

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Exactly!  You ****wits don't understand.  There is no correlation between intelligent contracts, good cap management and winning football games.

Exactly, and there is also no correlation between a dumb owner insisting on putting a competitive team on the field and the following rebuild that will need to take place. No correlation, zilch, none, caput, zero, zed,  cantthinkofanymorezerotypewords

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

That one drove me crazy as well; I think I only mentioned it 20 times. The remainder of Breno's amortized SB was a non-factor because that comes off with or without keeping him.

The way the cap works now, by cutting a player we save the full (non-guaranteed) salary, not just the cap hit savings after acceleration of the amortized bonus amount that too many people overthink. If he was due $5m in salary, and it wasn't guaranteed, then we save $5m by cutting him. 

I'm not going to blame much about the Revis contract, because I don't think anyone foresaw a drop off that drastic.  Part of the problem is that he absolutely quit on the team completely.  He consistently played off cover when the team was in man cover and gave up easy catch after easy catch.  He actually didn't look horrible in press coverage (not the Revis of old, but more like a No. 2 type of guy) but after the season was lost, he went away from press man cover completely.  

However, the Fitzpatrick signing was stupid from the start.  It made no sense to bring him back, other than fans clamoring for the savior to return and journalists stirring the pot to create controversy.  It only made sense if we didn't pick a QB high in the draft, so then we would have Fitz/Geno/Petty as the three QBs.  However, not only did we actually pick a high QB in the draft (one we fully intended to "red-shirt"), but then caved in to Fitzpatrick for 12 million.  We made a big fiasco about signing him on our terms, a BS deadline where the offer would be pulled, and he still got exactly what he wanted.  Fitzpatrick essentially signed a one year $12 million deal, it was just broken up for cap purposes, but he was being paid $12 million for playing last year.  I understand caving in for stars, so if say Kirk Cousins says I want X amount of money or you lose me, I can reasonably see the GM cave in because it's such a big hit to the future of the team.  Guys like Fitzpatrick are exactly the ones where you draw the line in the sand because the upside just isn't there.

Anyone who watched him knows he's not a smart guy on the field.  He's the complete opposite of it, going with his first read most times.  He also slows the pace of the game to a crawl by standing at the line adjusting plays.  I don't think any team thinks he's imparting wisdom about passing to any of the young QBs.  His strengths and weaknesses are also extremely dissimilar to the QBs on the roster.  Guys like Geno/Petty/Hackenberg have strong arms, so there is a difference in the types of throws they can make to the ones Fitzpatrick can make.  If he was this cerebral QB that made great reads, I would completely understand, but he wasn't that guy.  So not only did he block the young kids from getting a chance, he absolutely wasn't worth much as a teacher either for them.  

Signing Fitzpatrick was the equivalent of a horror movie where the teens are like "Let's check out the haunted house, it'll be exciting at midnight", and you know half of them will be dead before the movie is over.  You knew Fitzpatrick was a horrible signing from the start, but the team did it anyway.  In fact, I have very little faith in Macc about negotiating with players since almost all of them seem to just get what they demanded.  

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

FWIW, I just meant that if they cut him last year, IIRC, it would have accelerated the bonus.  I knew they didn't save a nickel overall by cutting him then.

I know. I was speaking more to a general assumption by many, including reporters, that cutting players saves less than it actually does. 

When your only other option is Geno Smith, you have to pay Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I'm just glad neither of them will be starting for the Jets this season.

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I know. I was speaking more to a general assumption by many, including reporters, that cutting players saves less than it actually does. 

Right.  He is just doing what he was forced to do.  Cutting the dead wood that Idzik left him.  Never mind that he is doing it a year and $5M late.  The worst part is that I think they are only saving around $2M.  They could have saved $7M, but they needed those 5 games out of him!

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

When your only other option is Geno Smith, you have to pay Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I'm just glad neither of them will be starting for the Jets this season.

Something like 10 teams switched QBs last year.  At least 2 made the playoffs, but our only options were Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick.  THERE WERE NO OTHER CHOICES!

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Right.  He is just doing what he was forced to do.  Cutting the dead wood that Idzik left him.  Never mind that he is doing it a year and $5M late.  The worst part is that I think they are only saving around $2M.  They could have saved $7M, but they needed those 5 games out of him!

Something like 10 teams switched QBs last year.  At least 2 made the playoffs, but our only options were Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick.  THERE WERE NO OTHER CHOICES!

If they wanted a QB that knew the offense, those were their choices, especially when Bowles named Fitz the starter ten minutes after the season finale.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Coming off PUP his upside was playing what, 10 games? So on a per game basis he was given a pay raise last year. ~500k/start maximum, so that's closer to $8m on a per annum basis. Oh yeah, and did we mention $0 of it was guaranteed so it was 100% unnecessary? I can't remember if that was brought up before.

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Coming off PUP his upside was playing what, 10 games? So on a per game basis he was given a pay raise last year. ~500k/start maximum, so that's closer to $8m on a per annum basis. Oh yeah, and did we mention $0 of it was guaranteed so it was 100% unnecessary? I can't remember if that was brought up before.

This was the one that totally baffled me the entire time.  The only possible justification I could try to piece together at the time was a delay if there had been some sort of injury guarantees in his contract, but given that they kept him for the whole damn season and never tried to work out any sort of injury settlement, clearly that was just far too much effort on my part to create any sort of justification.  Apparently they thought of Giacomini to be such a massive upgrade over both Ijalana and Qvale, that he was well worth the money for a shortened season.  That just says a lot of really sad things about, well... everyone involved.

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

We were bidding against ourselves for Fitz.  And Fitz was never that much better than Geno anyway

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Revis not only loosing it but turning into a soft, low effort dog of a player is one of the most disappointing things I've seen in football.

There have been plenty of good players that suddenly got bad but I've not witnessed too many players that were elite go bad, get soft, bet lazy, still over paid horribly, and complain about being treated badly.

Bowles had a lot to do with that.  Revis showed up to TC overweight and totally out of shape.  Bowles fell asleep and acted like nothing happened and said week 1 "hey Darrelle, I know you have man boobs now and run a 5.5 40 but go play man to man on AJ Green"

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

If they wanted a QB that knew the offense, those were their choices, especially when Bowles named Fitz the starter ten minutes after the season finale.

Mac bid against himself for Fitz and publicly announced he was cutting Decker before trying to trade him.

You cannot make this up

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Exactly!  You ****wits don't understand.  There is no correlation between intelligent contracts, good cap management and winning football games.

huh??? sure there is.  i hope you are being sarcastic. it's plenty easy to mismanage a cap and not achieve a team capable of winning.

22 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

the New York Jets:

Dead Money

Name Cap Number
Eric Decker $1,500,000
Calvin Pryor $1,136,955
Jarvis Jenkins $750,000
Breno Giacomini $625,000
Nick Folk $593,334
Jace Amaro $360,545
TOTAL $17,579,936

the only real comment anyone can make is the whole jet dead money cap hit has been way overblown.  by all accounts, ozzie newsome is a really good gm and finds good players and the ravens have a pretty healthy dead money hit.  sometimes the bad players/contracts come in bunches.  that's just the way it is.

the only real comment anyone can make is the whole jet dead money cap hit has been way overblown.  by all accounts, ozzie newsome is a really good gm and finds good players and the ravens have a pretty healthy dead money hit.  sometimes the bad players/contracts come in bunches.  that's just the way it is.

It is cyclical and nfl is so competitive that when you have a window you gotta swing for fences which ends up costing you down road

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived