The Ghost of Revis Past?

courtnj18

21 hours ago, nyjunc said:

you do know Aaron Glenn wanted to leave to go to Houston, right?  and this "great" Jet signed a ceremonial contract to retire a TEXAN:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cb-glenn-signs-ceremonial-contract-with-texans-97020807-072810

he played 8 years for us, 3 for Houston but Revis had the audacity to maximize his earnings so he's hated and Aaron is a beloved former Jet!  

you can't make this stuff up.

I read the link above and wonder why Bob McNair said what he said. Here's the quote "Texans owner Bob McNair said. ”We needed some players who were veterans to provide some leadership, and we were fortunate that we were able to make a deal with the Jets that we could get Aaron down here.”

My memory is that we put our two cornerbacks in the expansion draft, Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman. Aaron Glenn was put in the espansion draft because every team had to submit two players and the Jets FO gambled that Aaron Glenn's salary was two high for the Texans to take him in their expansion draft. The ruse backfired and we lost two cornerbacks. False memory ?

Glenn was heading to his hometown so he was likely not upset by being taken in the Texans expansion draft.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

I read the link above and wonder why Bob McNair said what he said. Here's the quote "Texans owner Bob McNair said. ”We needed some players who were veterans to provide some leadership, and we were fortunate that we were able to make a deal with the Jets that we could get Aaron down here.”

My memory is that we put our two cornerbacks in the expansion draft, Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman. Aaron Glenn was put in the espansion draft because every team had to submit two players and the Jets FO gambled that Aaron Glenn's salary was two high for the Texans to take him in their expansion draft. The ruse backfired and we lost two cornerbacks. False memory ?

Glenn was heading to his hometown so he was likely not upset by being taken in the Texans expansion draft.

Our cap was in terrible shape at that time, we made q deal w/ the Texans that they would take them along w/ RT Ryan Young to sweeten the deal.  We gave up a nice young RT, they took on the salary and saved our cap so we could compete in 2002(we won a rare div title that year which never would have been possible w/o the expansion draft).  Aaron wanted to leave to go back home, it all worked out perfectly for us.

32 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Revis was , but last year proved he is past his prime and no longer willing to pay the price to play the game effectively.

i agree he was a great player , but there are many other good-great Jets I'd rather see honored before him.

who would you rather see honored before Revis?

14 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

False memory.  There was a "deal" in place to let the Jets get rid of some bloated Fat Tuna contracts for cover cornerbacks that did not suit the keep-them-in-front-of-you -and-tackle-them cover who.  The Jets left Ryan Young, a promising starting RT making $500K on their list with the agreement that the Texans take Glenn and Marcus Coleman.  Saved them like $14M when they were over the cap.

A combination of "Thanks, Fatty!" and the perils of hiring a coach with a defensive system that is in complete contradiction of his predecessor. 

"It's tough to lose these players, but I don't know when this opportunity will come around again, to be relieved of an $8 million cap charge on one player and over $5 million on another," said Bradway,

FWIW, the Jets did already have Young's replacement on the roster in Kareem McKenzie, but they had to sign Donnie Abraham and Aaron Beasley for CB.  

53 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

who would you rather see honored before Revis?

Since the Jets have only retired 5 player jerseys(Namath, Maynard, Martin, Klecko, Byrd) I feel there are other former Jets who are more deserving . Now I'm not saying they were better players than Revis but far better team players and IMO worthy before him ( Walker, Toon, Chrebet, McNeil, Marvin Powell, Mehl, Rasmussen, Fields, Winston Hill, Shuler, Buttle, Sweeney ) all come to mind.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Revis was , but last year proved he is past his prime and no longer willing to pay the price to play the game effectively.

i agree he was a great player , but there are many other good-great Jets I'd rather see honored before him.

This my friend is a fair statement!!!

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Since the Jets have only retired 5 player jerseys(Namath, Maynard, Martin, Klecko, Byrd) I feel there are other former Jets who are more deserving . Now I'm not saying they were better players than Revis but far better team players and IMO worthy before him ( Walker, Toon, Chrebet, McNeil, Marvin Powell, Mehl, Rasmussen, Fields, Winston Hill, Shuler, Buttle, Sweeney ) all come to mind.

I understand and respect your opinion but what made those other guys team players and not Revis?  this is all for fun but I looking at each:

Revis: 4x 1st team all pro, 7x pro bowl, part of 2 playoff teams, 4 playoff wins, 2 title game apps

Walker: good player not great. 1x 1st team all pro, 2x pro bowl, part of 4 playoff teams, 3 playoff wins, 1 title game

Toon: 1x 1st team all pro, 3x PBer, part of 3 PO apps, 1 PO win

Chrebet: this is laughable, decent player but nowhere near all time Jet greats and let us not forget he held the Jets hostage in his last contract negotiation and it led to us losing Coles.  0x all pro, 0x pro bowl, played on 4 PO teams, 3 PO wins, 1 title game app

McNeil: 1x 1st team all pro, 3x PB, member of 5 PO teams, 3 PO wins, 1 title game app. only had 2 1,000 yd seasons

Powell: very underrated player in NFL history.  3x 1st team AP, 5x PB, member of 3 PO teams, won 2 PO games, 1 title game app

Mehl: 0x time AP, 1x PB, member of 4 PO teams(I think he was hurt for playoffs in 86), 3 PO wins, 1 title game app

Rasmussen: played on SB III team and '81 playoff team which is an incredible stretch and started in all those seasons.  for that alone I'd put him up there.  0x AP, 0x PB.  3 PO seasons, 2 PO wins, 1 SB win

Fields: 1x AP, 2x PB, 4 PO seasons3 PO wins, 1 title game app

Hill: 0x AP, 8X PB, 2 PO apps, 2 Po wins, SB win.  belongs

Shuler: 0x AP, 2x PB, 4 PO apps, 3 PO wins, 1 title game app

Buttle: 0x AP, 0X PB, 2 PO apps, 2 PO wins, 1 title game app

Sweeney: 0x AP, 0x PB, 3 PO apps, 1 PO win

I would say of that least the 2 SB champs belong ahead of him(only b/c of time) and no one else.

23 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I was thinking more honoring, retiring #s then none of those guys are your list deserve it before Revis(if at all)  I would say only Hill would even be borderline to retire a # from this list.  We have never had another player that was the best at his position consistently like revis was.

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I was thinking more honoring, retiring #s then none of those guys are your list deserve it before Revis(if at all)  I would say only Hill would even be borderline to retire a # from this list.  We have never had another player that was the best at his position consistently like revis was.

Again its all a personal preference . I admire and respect what Revis accomplished when he was motivated , I loathe any player that goes through the motions and Revis last year was the biggest dog I've seen in many many years,

Just now, nyjunc said:

I understand and respect your opinion but what made those other guys team players and not Revis?  this is all for fun but I looking at each:

Walker: good player not great. 1x 1st team all pro, 2x pro bowl, part of 4 playoff teams, 3 playoff wins, 1 title game

How dare you say Walker wasn't great. Don't give me stats. Watch the games. He was uncoverable. He had Richard Turd throwing to him, for petes sakes.  aw, never mind.

Revis played football for a living. He was in a unique position because of his incredible talent to leverage a lot of money out of his employers. I truly don't understand why this continues to be held against him. Every player in the league is out for as much money as they can get but, like playing CB, Revis was just better at it. More power to him, as far as I'm concerned. 

Sure he was terrific but after last year, If I am Woodrow, the sting of getting clipped for 16M would make me keep him off the Ring and I would give his number to a practice squad call up.

For that kind of cash he could have at least showed up in shape.

He looked like a 1987 replacement player signed off the street.

20 hours ago, nyjunc said:

are you showing me stats for CBs? seriously?  ask yourself why Glenn had more INTs?

Glenn wanted OUT of NY, he "retired" a Texan yet you will praise him and bash Revis.

let's look at their best seasons.  Aaron Glenn made 2 pro bowls as a Jet and never even a 2nd team all pro.  in those 2 PB seasons:

1997:

Joey Galloway 3-34

Andre Reed 5-39-1 TD, 2-33-1

Tim Brown 10-153-1

Marvin Harrison 3-36, 3-48

Cris Carter 6-105

Herman Moore 4-39

1998:

JJ Stokes 7-111-2 TDs

Marvin Harrison 7-77, 9-128-1

Isaac Bruce 5-62

Terrance Mathis 4-37

Eric Moulds 3-70

Joey Galloway 2-127-2(he left game early w/ injury then ray Mickens came in and we got better on D)

15 games, 5 100 yd games, 8 TDs

73 recs, 1099 yds, 8 TDs

average per game: 4.9 recs, 73 yds, .53 TDs 

prorated over 16 games: 78 recs, 1168 yds, 8 TDs

let's look at revis 2009/2010:

2009:

Andre Johnson 4-35

Randy Moss 4-24, 5-34-1

Marques Colston 2-33

Steve Smith 1-5

Roddy White 4-33

Chad Johnson(playoffs) 2-28

Reggie Wayne(playoffs) 3-55

2010:

Randy Moss 2-38-1(he got hurt after TD)

Greg Jennings 6-81

Calvin Johnson 1-13

Andre Johnson 4-32

Chad Johnson 4-41

Brandon Marshal  2-16-1(after going for 10-166-1 in game Revis missed)

Hines Ward 2-34(Mike Wallace kileld us, in POs we moved him to Wallace)

Reggie Wayne(playoffs) 1-1

Mike Wallace(playoffs) 1-6

17 games ZERO 100 yd games, 3 TDs(though the Marshall one wasn't against revis)

48 recs, 509 yds, 3 TDs

average per game: 2.8 recs, 30 yds, .18 TDs

prorated to 16 game season: 45 recs, 480 yds, less than 3 TDs

there's just no comparison btw the 2.

I didn't bash Revis. He was a great CB, no doubt, I still think Aaron Glenn was better, that's all.

2 hours ago, roscoeword said:

How dare you say Walker wasn't great. Don't give me stats. Watch the games. He was uncoverable. He had Richard Turd throwing to him, for petes sakes.  aw, never mind.

Never speak badly of Wesley Walker. When I was six years old I became a Jets fan because of him. His game-winning catch in the fourth quarter against the Raiders in the div. playoff game in 1982 was the greatest thing I had ever witnessed in my young life at the time

5 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Walker was a good player, he wasn't great.  he dropped too many passes.  Todd and O'Brien both threw nice deep balls though neither was a great QB and that played to wesley's strength.  I love Wesley but he wasn't as good of a WR as Revis was a CB.

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I didn't bash Revis. He was a great CB, no doubt, I still think Aaron Glenn was better, that's all.

it's really not debatable, Aaron Glenn would tell you Revis was much better.

4 hours ago, slats said:

Revis played football for a living. He was in a unique position because of his incredible talent to leverage a lot of money out of his employers. I truly don't understand why this continues to be held against him. Every player in the league is out for as much money as they can get but, like playing CB, Revis was just better at it. More power to him, as far as I'm concerned. 

I don't begrudge any athlete from trying to maximize their pay as their careers are often short and can end in the blink of an eye.

What I have  a problem with is a player getting paid $8M/yr who loos like he couldn't care less that he was on the football field. Revis last year collected a check for having players simply run by around and through him , his effort last season was disgusting and for me that is unacceptable.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I don't begrudge any athlete from trying to maximize their pay as their careers are often short and can end in the blink of an eye.

What I have  a problem with is a player getting paid $8M/yr who loos like he couldn't care less that he was on the football field. Revis last year collected a check for having players simply run by around and through him , his effort last season was disgusting and for me that is unacceptable.

when have we ever seen that w/ Revis in the past though?  I get the feeling there was more to it than just not giving full effort.  

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

when have we ever seen that w/ Revis in the past though?  I get the feeling there was more to it than just not giving full effort.  

To me it doesn't matter , unless he had a serious injury that wasn't divulged, he quit on the team last year and I lose all respect for an athlete if they do that . 

Just now, nyjunc said:

Walker was a good player, he wasn't great.  he dropped too many passes.  Todd and O'Brien both threw nice deep balls though neither was a great QB and that played to wesley's strength.  I love Wesley but he wasn't as good of a WR as Revis was a CB.

it's really not debatable, Aaron Glenn would tell you Revis was much better.

Todd consistently underthrew Walker on those bombs, Walker had to always slow down for them. OBrien threw a better pass, but in Walker's prime, he played with Todd and Todd kept that team down. Don't think 'Walker dropped a lot, maybe you mean Richard Caster. Walker got separation all the time (before that term was ever used) because of his world track speed and perfect route running. He seemed fragile out there, though, like a gazelle playing against lions. I always cringed when he got hit.

25 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Todd consistently underthrew Walker on those bombs, Walker had to always slow down for them. OBrien threw a better pass, but in Walker's prime, he played with Todd and Todd kept that team down. Don't think 'Walker dropped a lot, maybe you mean Richard Caster. Walker got separation all the time (before that term was ever used) because of his world track speed and perfect route running. He seemed fragile out there, though, like a gazelle playing against lions. I always cringed when he got hit.

Walker dropped a lot of passes.

he was great running by people but that is only part of the position and again I love Wesley.  I am not trying to knock him but he's not revis.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:55 AM, Jet Nut said:

Guess you missed years from his career.  He was great longer than 3 years

2009. 2010, 2011 he was a great player on the Jets - 2012 he was injured just about the entire year (2007 and 2008 quality first round draft pick on his way - but not great yet)

2013 TB mostly sucked more or less rehabbed his knee, 2014 was a very good player and won a Super Bowl with the Pats 

then came back to the Jets and was very average  in 2015  and quit on the team in 2016.

For all the contract BS he pulled, for going to and winning with the Pats and most importantly quitting on the team last year - I just don't understand how anyone would want to immortalize this guy.

Great player - Yes.  Great Jet - absolutely NOT!

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

2009. 2010, 2011 he was a great player on the Jets - 2012 he was injured just about the entire year (2007 and 2008 quality first round draft pick on his way - but not great yet)

2013 TB mostly sucked more or less rehabbed his knee, 2014 was a very good player and won a Super Bowl with the Pats 

then came back to the Jets and was very average  in 2015  and quit on the team in 2016.

For all the contract BS he pulled, for going to and winning with the Pats and most importantly quitting on the team last year - I just don't understand how anyone would want to immortalize this guy.

Great player - Yes.  Great Jet - absolutely NOT!

he had a good rookie year in 2007, was very good in 2008, was great 2009-until injury in 2012, was very good in 2013, was great in 2014, was very good/great(just not 2009 Revis great) in 2015,  was terrible in 2016.

Archived