The Ghost of Revis Past?

courtnj18

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That's all very fair.  I'd argue that Klecko SHOULD have been #2 but that's a whole other ball of wax.  

I think Joe belongs based on others they have let in but revis is a lock HOFer in every way.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

In my opinion Aaron Glenn was just as good a corner as Revis and was a more well-rounded player, given that he could return kick offs.

No offense but Aaron Glenn wasn't 1/10th of what Revis was as a cover corner.  Not even comparable on any level.  Glenn couldn't keep up w/ the games top WRs, Revis shut them down.  Glenn was a nice player, Revis was a GREAT player.

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

HE's a 4x All Pro, 7x Pro Bowler with a Ring probably going to Canton. When he does get his bust, what uniform does he wear? 

Jets fans shouldn't hate Revis cause he likes money or got old. He was an all time great at the position and the Jets screwed it up. We all saw it happen on Hard Knocks.  

As for Claiborne I understand his desire to wear his number but how about you stay on the field for a few games buddy? If he makes it through the season and proves it, maybe next year he gets the number if he still wants it. 

One more time, football players do NOT go into the HOF with a uniform or hat on.

Begs the question, what kind of so called fan thinks if it were the case he would go into the hall with any other uniform than the Jets?

36 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

In my opinion Aaron Glenn was just as good a corner as Revis and was a more well-rounded player, given that he could return kick offs.

Glenn was very good.  He wasnt in the same class as Revis.  Revis is an all time great, Glenn is an all time Jet.  Glenn never shut down WRs like Revis did at his best

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Glenn was very good.  He wasnt in the same class as Revis.  Revis is an all time great, Glenn is an all time Jet.  Glenn never shut down WRs like Revis did at his best

Exactly the NFL is a business Revis is and was a great ex NY Jet he went to NE to get paid and get a Super Bowl ring so what.......STOP THE HATE 

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time, football players do NOT go into the HOF with a uniform or hat on.

Begs the question, what kind of so called fan thinks if it were the case he would go into the hall with any other uniform than the Jets?

Correct you are.

NFL enshrinee's do not go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a member of a certain team. Rather, all of an enshrinee's affiliations are listed equally.

While the baseball hof plaques generally depict each of their inductees wearing a particular club's cap.

thanks

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly the NFL is a business Revis is and was a great ex NY Jet he went to NE to get paid and get a Super Bowl ring so what.......STOP THE HATE 

The Jets traded him to Tampa, he didnt leave on his own.

Tampa cut him and the Pats were the only team to offer him a deal.  Jets didnt, but all these people think he should have turned down $20 mil as a homage to Jet fans everywhere.

As if they would have done the same

And to teach him a lesson, they shouldnt retire his number.  You cant make this up.  What would they do if they were in GB with Favre?

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

More importantly not a Douche..

you do know Aaron Glenn wanted to leave to go to Houston, right?  and this "great" Jet signed a ceremonial contract to retire a TEXAN:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cb-glenn-signs-ceremonial-contract-with-texans-97020807-072810

he played 8 years for us, 3 for Houston but Revis had the audacity to maximize his earnings so he's hated and Aaron is a beloved former Jet!  

you can't make this stuff up.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you do know Aaron Glenn wanted to leave to go to Houston, right?  and this "great" Jet signed a ceremonial contract to retire a TEXAN:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cb-glenn-signs-ceremonial-contract-with-texans-97020807-072810

he played 8 years for us, 3 for Houston but Revis had the audacity to maximize his earnings so he's hated and Aaron is a beloved former Jet!  

Still not a douche :-)  Loved Revis has a player, disliked him as a person.

Greedy self serving individual. who's true colours came out last year with zero effort on $16 mill per. He's still a Free Agent.

10 hours ago, nyjunc said:

nothing special? he's the best player we have EVER had, the ONLY player in our history(that played the majority of his career here) that can be considered maybe the best to ever do it at his position.

we had Joe Namath quit on us briefly over a restaurant he owned but that was ok?  Gastineau quit on us mid season but that was ok?  Revis sucked last year but he was always known as a great team guy.  he did a great job maximizing his earnings, it's unbelievable that fans would hate a player for that.

Didn't say "nothing special". I said all time great.

What I AM saying is that he was not SO special THAT we should just overlook his actions and lack of commitment to the game. He was the definition of a paycheck player. Best ever? Maybe....if we qualify it by saying...."for about a 2-3 year stretch". Very good to great for about maybe 5 or 6 years in total.  I'd probably compare his "peak" levels to that of Terrell Davis. But TD kind of fell off a cliff after 4 years where as Revis lost his ability slowly over time after his injury, then just mailed it in after his last big payday here.  If he didn't quit on the field, there would be much less animosity from fans imo.  That is unforgivable.

And calling out Namath over the Bachelors 3 drama for what, his 2 month pissing match with Rozelle over the summer?  I'd say he gets a pass....

As for Gastinueau and his long legged blonde Yoko....eff him. 

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Stop the hate? Why? Is this not part of the WHOLE entertainment component of the NFL? I mean...teams are aligned regionally so as to ensure city rivalries are fully exploited and marketed to drive in fans to the stadium.  It is the best part of what I'm buying.

6 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I knew I'd get flack for saying that. I said it because 1) I think it's true and 2) I seek attention

13 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he's a lock for Canton, it's not even up for debate and football players go into the Hall representing all the teams they played for not one team like MLB w/ their cap on their plaques.

Jet fans bash Revis, Rex, Sanchez and praise Mangini and O'Brien.  you can't make this stuff up.

"??2 of these things are not the otherrrr??"

Revis is not even close to being the greatest. He was tops in the league for a stretch but thats it.

He became the slouch he used to call others.

The only possible GOAT the Jets ever had on their payroll is BB.

Both of them stole money from the team their last year employed here. 

Revis scammed Woody and BB scammed the Hess estate.

17 hours ago, nyjunc said:

No offense but Aaron Glenn wasn't 1/10th of what Revis was as a cover corner.  Not even comparable on any level.  Glenn couldn't keep up w/ the games top WRs, Revis shut them down.  Glenn was a nice player, Revis was a GREAT player.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/558/aaron-glenn

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10458/darrelle-revis

http://thejetpress.com/2016/09/08/new-york-jets-franchise-part-5/

This in addition to the fact that Glenn gave everything he had on every play, and never quit on a play or made half-ass tackle attempts.

Revis should, and will go to the HOF.  Ring of Honor?  Sure why not.  Retire his #?  Nope, Stupid practice.

Revis was a great player who happened to be a mercenary who wouldn't honor signed contracts.  No problem with the money he's made, but as a Jets' fan he really wasn't anything special to me.

11 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Best ever? Maybe....if we qualify it by saying...."for about a 2-3 year stretch". Very good to great for about maybe 5 or 6 years in total.  I'd probably compare his "peak" levels to that of Terrell Davis. But TD kind of fell off a cliff after 4 years where as Revis lost his ability slowly over time after his injury, then just mailed it in after his last big payday here.  If he didn't quit on the field, there would be much less animosity from fans imo.  That is unforgivable.

and there it is in a nutshell

Clearly he's not coming back and clearly they're going to retire his number. Seems kind of obvious.

I don't blame people for disliking or resenting Revis. He was a professional and he always played his cards in his own self interest. As fans of the team rather than the player that can rub people the wrong way, but hey, the guy was out to get his. Shouldn't we all be?

That said he's the best player I've ever seen in a Jets uniform. He'll go into the HoF and the Jets should retire his number. I see no reason why not to, it's not like we're the Yankees where numbers are at a shortage. We've got, what, 12, 13, 28, and 73 retired? And 90 for Byrd?

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

SHHHHHHH!!!!! Let's not mention the WHOLE story...it fugs with the popular narrative. 

You mean the made up story that he faked a hammy after pulling it?  Because a handful of braindead Jets fans figured after shutting down every top WR he faced he somehow would be afraid to cover an older Moss?  Megatron etc, nope, Moss yes.  Now its top WRs, multiple WRS?

Also, he was better than anyone else in the NFL for a lot longer than 3 years as some are trying to sell by rewriting history

13 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Didn't say "nothing special". I said all time great.

What I AM saying is that he was not SO special THAT we should just overlook his actions and lack of commitment to the game. He was the definition of a paycheck player. Best ever? Maybe....if we qualify it by saying...."for about a 2-3 year stretch". Very good to great for about maybe 5 or 6 years in total.  I'd probably compare his "peak" levels to that of Terrell Davis. But TD kind of fell off a cliff after 4 years where as Revis lost his ability slowly over time after his injury, then just mailed it in after his last big payday here.  If he didn't quit on the field, there would be much less animosity from fans imo.  That is unforgivable.

And calling out Namath over the Bachelors 3 drama for what, his 2 month pissing match with Rozelle over the summer?  I'd say he gets a pass....

As for Gastinueau and his long legged blonde Yoko....eff him. 

I don't think you know what a paycheck player is, a paycheck player isn't a HOFer.  he had a bad year in 2016, that doesn't undo all the good.

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/558/aaron-glenn

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10458/darrelle-revis

http://thejetpress.com/2016/09/08/new-york-jets-franchise-part-5/

This in addition to the fact that Glenn gave everything he had on every play, and never quit on a play or made half-ass tackle attempts.

are you showing me stats for CBs? seriously?  ask yourself why Glenn had more INTs?

Glenn wanted OUT of NY, he "retired" a Texan yet you will praise him and bash Revis.

let's look at their best seasons.  Aaron Glenn made 2 pro bowls as a Jet and never even a 2nd team all pro.  in those 2 PB seasons:

1997:

Joey Galloway 3-34

Andre Reed 5-39-1 TD, 2-33-1

Tim Brown 10-153-1

Marvin Harrison 3-36, 3-48

Cris Carter 6-105

Herman Moore 4-39

1998:

JJ Stokes 7-111-2 TDs

Marvin Harrison 7-77, 9-128-1

Isaac Bruce 5-62

Terrance Mathis 4-37

Eric Moulds 3-70

Joey Galloway 2-127-2(he left game early w/ injury then ray Mickens came in and we got better on D)

15 games, 5 100 yd games, 8 TDs

73 recs, 1099 yds, 8 TDs

average per game: 4.9 recs, 73 yds, .53 TDs 

prorated over 16 games: 78 recs, 1168 yds, 8 TDs

let's look at revis 2009/2010:

2009:

Andre Johnson 4-35

Randy Moss 4-24, 5-34-1

Marques Colston 2-33

Steve Smith 1-5

Roddy White 4-33

Chad Johnson(playoffs) 2-28

Reggie Wayne(playoffs) 3-55

2010:

Randy Moss 2-38-1(he got hurt after TD)

Greg Jennings 6-81

Calvin Johnson 1-13

Andre Johnson 4-32

Chad Johnson 4-41

Brandon Marshal  2-16-1(after going for 10-166-1 in game Revis missed)

Hines Ward 2-34(Mike Wallace kileld us, in POs we moved him to Wallace)

Reggie Wayne(playoffs) 1-1

Mike Wallace(playoffs) 1-6

17 games ZERO 100 yd games, 3 TDs(though the Marshall one wasn't against revis)

48 recs, 509 yds, 3 TDs

average per game: 2.8 recs, 30 yds, .18 TDs

prorated to 16 game season: 45 recs, 480 yds, less than 3 TDs

there's just no comparison btw the 2.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean the made up story that he faked a hammy after pulling it?  Because a handful of braindead Jets fans figured after shutting down every top WR he faced he somehow would be afraid to cover an older Moss?  Megatron etc, nope, Moss yes.  Now its top WRs, multiple WRS?

Also, he was better than anyone else in the NFL for a lot longer than 3 years as some are trying to sell by rewriting history

I dont know if he faked it or not...i thought it was funny and I stand by the other posters statement...for about 3 years he was unquestionably the greatest I have seen at the position..then for another 5 years he was very good. 

Just now, jetspenguin said:

I dont know if he faked it or not...i thought it was funny and I stand by the other posters statement...for about 3 years he was unquestionably the greatest I have seen at the position..then for another 5 years he was very good. 

Its something all that hate him made up while there was no reason to believe it.  

He was a great player, our best player not named Namath.  People hate him, I get some of it, dont other parts.  Doesnt change how great he was though

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its something all that hate him made up while there was no reason to believe it.  

He was a great player, our best player not named Namath.  People hate him, I get some of it, dont other parts.  Doesnt change how great he was though

our best player INCLUDING Namath.  Namath was the franchise's most important player, revis the best. 

On 8/1/2017 at 0:10 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Hahahahaha so now Revis isn't an all time great player!!

I'll keep it simple for you, Revis is one of the greatest defensive players EVER to play football let alone wear a New York Jets uniform.

You don't like his attitude or the way he went about maximizing his dollar potential,FINE!!!!!!

But to say or infer that Revis was some kind of mythic bum, who didn't deserve the praise he got, is piss poor and an embarrassment!!

Jets Fans

Revis was , but last year proved he is past his prime and no longer willing to pay the price to play the game effectively.

i agree he was a great player , but there are many other good-great Jets I'd rather see honored before him.

Archived