Training Camp Practice 8/23

Lupz27

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets' Todd Bowles continues curious, evasive QB strategy

FLORHAM PARK -- For the second straight training camp practice Wednesday, Jets coach Todd Bowles took a curious and evasive approach with his three-man quarterback competition, though it looks like Bryce Petty is clearly No. 3 in that pecking order. 

On Tuesday, presumptive starter Josh McCown received just three first-team reps, plus a handful of scout team snaps. 

On Wednesday, McCown continued to get relatively limited work. At one point, he played catch with injured rookie tight end Jordan Leggett (foot), in order to stay warm -- similar to how McCown ran sideline-to-sideline sprints during Tuesday's practice. 

Bowles has said he plans to name a starting quarterback Monday, coming out of the Jets' third preseason game, Saturday against the Giants

During the regular portion of practice Wednesday, McCown got five scout team reps and nine non-scout reps. (For all quarterbacks Wednesday, most non-scout reps were with the starters.) 

McCown concluded practice by running six reps with the starting offense in a half-speed two-minute drill. So he technically got 15 first-team reps Wednesday, plus five scout reps. 

Christian Hackenberg finished practice with 19 non-scout reps and 15 scout reps. Petty's numbers: 15 non-scout reps and 30 scout reps -- an indication he is No. 3 on the depth chart. 

So what's the deal here? 

Bowles cautioned reporters to not read too much into the reps on Tuesday and Wednesday. 

"I don't, so you probably shouldn't," he said. "Yeah, we script it [beforehand]. I don't count the reps. We count the plays. We don't count which quarterback goes in. We see what we need certain people to do [with plays]. And we put them in to do that." 

But for the most part, Bowles was again evasive after practice, despite being peppered with quarterback questions. Typically, a team gives its Week 1 starting quarterback extensive work leading up to -- and during -- the third preseason game. 

Why such limited action this week for McCown, who played one series in the Jets' first preseason game and not at all in their second, at the Lions? 

Hackenberg doesn't look at all ready to start in Week 1, based on his struggles against the Lions. McCown is the Jets' best option. Surely, then, they'd want to give him extended playing time in the third preseason game, since starters never play in the fourth game. 

Maybe McCown will play a lot against the Giants, after not practicing a ton this week. But if that's the case, Bowles did nothing to clear up the situation Wednesday, five days before he plans to name a Week 1 starter. 

Will all three quarterbacks play against the Giants? Could Hackenberg start again, as he did in Detroit? Might Bowles hold McCown out entirely on Saturday, to keep him healthy for Week 1? If so, how would Bowles feel about McCown playing just one series in the preseason? 

To all four questions, Bowles offered essentially the same answer: "We've got to sit down and talk about it. It's still early." 

He meant early in the week, of course, since it's not early in this quarterback competition. Bowles said he and his coaches will make decisions for the Giants game on Thursday night. 

Bowles said his Saturday starter would depend on what type of game plan the Jets want to run and "what we're trying to work on, on offense." Which, of course, sheds no light on anything. 

For what it's worth, Bowles did say he doesn't want to enter Week 1 planning to use a quarterback rotation, which is rare in the NFL anyway. He also believes right now that he will keep all three quarterbacks on the 53-man roster coming out of camp. 

"But that could change," Bowles said. 

Leaving open the possibility of the unexpected -- fitting for this Jets quarterback situation. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

No, just no. The Jets should never ever again be big players in the FA market. There is no return on investment. We need to draft better. If we completely implode this year I cannot see Mac and Bowles surviving and like they say, 6th time is a charm.

I disagree, next year there is a handful of really good FA's all 25, and under these are the type of guys you give contracts to, it's the guys looking to land that 3rd contract who are already 28-30 you avoid.

#NEVERSATISFIED

Tom- This team is STUPID. McClown is getting way too many reps. He is a 1 year player and there is no way he should be getting this many reps. He will mess around and win games we need to lose and miss out on the top pic.

Jerry- Hey I just noticed they are giving the kids more of the reps, McClown has consistently been LOSING reps the last few weeks.

Tom- This is bullshyt, these kids are NOT ready to play. McClown is running like a fool on the sidelines, wth is toilet bowl doing? How the hell is he gonna be ready to play? Are they seriously only going to let McClown play in ONE series this preseason?? 

Jerry- I thought you didn't want him to play? Maybe they don't either? McClown only played ONE series in the preseason. 

Tom- The 3rd preseason starter usually starts the season, It's a dress rehearsal for christ sake!!! The starter should be getting all the reps this week so he is ready to go against the Jints 1st team defense!!! WTF??

Jerry- Maybe the starter IS getting most of the reps this week. You wanted the kids to play, what are you crying about? It looks like they just might.

Tom- The kids look like crap in practice and they freaking suck!!! We are gonna lose every damn game this year! They look like crap and are not ready.

Jerry- I thought you wanted the top pic?

:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

#NEVERSATISFIED

Tom- This team is STUPID. McClown is getting way too many reps. He is a 1 year player and there is no way he should be getting this many reps. He will mess around and win games we need to lose and miss out on the top pic.

Jerry- Hey I just noticed they are giving the kids more of the reps, McClown has consistently been LOSING reps the last few weeks.

Tom- This is bullshyt, these kids are NOT ready to play. McClown is running like a fool on the sidelines, wth is toilet bowl doing? How the hell is he gonna be ready to play? Are they seriously only going to let McClown play in ONE series this preseason?? 

Jerry- I thought you didn't want him to play? Maybe they don't either? McClown only played ONE series in the preseason. 

Tom- The 3rd preseason starter usually starts the season, It's a dress rehearsal for christ sake!!! The starter should be getting all the reps this week so he is ready to go against the Jints 1st team defense!!! WTF??

Jerry- Maybe the starter IS getting most of the reps this week. You wanted the kids to play, what are you crying about? It looks like they just might.

Tom- The kids look like crap in practice and they freaking suck!!! We are gonna lose every damn game this year! They look like crap and are not ready.

Jerry- I thought you wanted the top pic?

:rolleyes:

Tom and Jerry never spoke. They were animals at war in a hyper-violent cartoon.

Not sure why the scribes are so perplexed.  Seems pretty clear to me McCown is the starter and the battle being waged is for the #2 job.  The prevailing thought is the backup is going to have to play a extended # of games this season so they are making sure to get it right.

I don't think it's ever deviated from Josh #1 until mathematical elimination from the playoffs then hand it off to the backup.  The only thing that would change that is if McCown is horrible for a couple games in a row. 

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Not sure why the scribes are so perplexed.  Seems pretty clear to me McCown is the starter and the battle being waged is for the #2 job.  The prevailing thought is the backup is going to have to play a extended # of games this season so they are making sure to get it right.

I don't think it's ever deviated from Josh #1 until mathematical elimination from the playoffs then hand it off to the backup.  The only thing that would change that is if McCown is horrible for a couple games in a row. 

agreed...they wont get much of a chance to get these reps once the season starts so the decision has to be made NOW....even if the kid *(whoever it is) doesnt play until later. 

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Given how they've treated both Petty and Hackenberg, this seems the most likely scenario. A lot of people expecting to see Hackenberg in week 4 are going to be mighty disappointed.

Just now, dbatesman said:

Given how they've treated both Petty and Hackenberg, this seems the most likely scenario. A lot of people expecting to see Hackenberg in week 4 are going to be mighty disappointed.

For the record, this is dumb. Hackenberg should start every game.

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

what makes you think they wont be eliminated by week 4?  :P

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think Maccagnan reeeeally wanted Hackenberg to start every game this season and Bowles is showing him why that's not feasible.

It's the only way to guarantee the #1 pick, which is the only way for this season to be anything other than an abject disaster.

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's the only way to guarantee the #1 pick, which is the only way for this season to be anything other than an abject disaster.

You may want to be seated when I tell y'all this, but the next three seasons are going to be abject disasters.

LOL. Cimini now crying the McCown could get short changed by the limited reps. This coming from the guy that has been bitching that this was an "open competition" when McCown was getting the majority of the 1st team reps the first 2 weeks. 

14 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yeah, but at least they're going to be funny abject disasters. It's not like the five more years of winter you could see coming when we drafted Sanchez.

I don't know if it'll have that same Hee-Haw style hilarity of pairing Sanchez with Rex. I think it'll have the feel of taking Josh Rosen hostage for four years while Maccagnan conceives of ways to make him compete with the ever-improving Christian Hackenberg, and then giving Charone Peake $11 mil per.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

You may want to be seated when I tell y'all this, but the next three seasons are going to be abject disasters.

I don't know how Macc and Bowles survives even one of those.  

The issue I have is that you can't blame Woody completely for his meddling and wanting to win in 2015.  So many of the other decisions, contracts and draft picks have been so suspect, and so lacking a coherent plan, that when this team has $100mm to spend and the top 3 pick in every round, I really, really question letting this same FO make those decisions.

At a minimum they need someone with a brain overseeing it.  Who?  don't know.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

your cowardice is appalling.  you're like Paul Reiser in Aliens when he wouldn't open the door to let Ripley and Newt in when they were being chased.

we all know how that ended.

5 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

The NY market coupled with the general team dysfunction makes this a much bigger issue than it needs to be.   So what if a 2nd rd pick isn't ready in year 2?   If Hack played for a team with a real QB this wouldn't even be an issue.   He has obviously improved from yr 1 to yr 2 so let him make the same jump in yr 3.   

That is why you play Petty and draft another QB this year and you never sign McCown

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

your cowardice is appalling.  you're like Paul Reiser in Aliens when he wouldn't open the door to let Ripley and Newt in when they were being chased.

Paul Reiser from Mad About You is in Aliens?!?!?!!?

never saw the movie, let alone its sequels. 

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

I herby demand that you by a copy of Aliens from Ebay and watch it.  It's a classic..  and holds up fairly well.

44 minutes ago, Pac said:

Actually, I'm more like Michael Fassbender in Prometheus in that even if Jesus ripped the head off my body I'd still be infinitely smarter than you. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I don't know how Macc and Bowles survives even one of those.  

The issue I have is that you can't blame Woody completely for his meddling and wanting to win in 2015.  So many of the other decisions, contracts and draft picks have been so suspect, and so lacking a coherent plan, that when this team has $100mm to spend and the top 3 pick in every round, I really, really question letting this same FO make those decisions.

At a minimum they need someone with a brain overseeing it.  Who?  don't know.

THEREIN LIES THE RUB. If you fire Bowles and Maccagnan, no one smart is going to trust the organization enough to work here, but if you try to force Macc and Bowles on a new VP-type, no one is taking that deal either

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Actually, I'm more like Michael Fassbender in Prometheus in that even if Jesus ripped the head off my body I'd still be infinitely smarter than you. 

I wanna claim Idris Elba in Prometheus because I want to have sex with Charlize Theron. 

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Aliens is one the best sci-fi films of all time. One of the best ever sequels made too. I won't spoil it for you but some of the best one liners ever on film are in that movie. Watch and enjoy.

Archived