Shefter: Panthers WR Kelvin Benjamin traded to Buffalo

C Mart

What’s weird is that the Bills hired a former DC. Who has jettisoned the “name players”, but improved the defense thru his expertise and smart DC hire, while working with the GM to improve the offense.

Like, so weird.

13 hours ago, Pac said:

Yes.  Lets envy the team who hasn't made the playoffs since before the turn of the century..  literally.

Tough conundrum for you.  They also hired your hero, Rex Ryan.  So aren't they, actually, smart?

GM is in his 1st season, yet gets the blame for everything since 1999.  You're the best.

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

What’s weird is that the Bills hired a former DC. Who has jettisoned the “name players”, but improved the defense thru his expertise and smart DC hire, while working with the GM to improve the offense.

Like, so weird.

Let a UNCW guy run the ship, and everything works better. 

One weird note:  If Kelvin plays against us on Thursday night, he could potentially play a 17-game season.  The Bills have already had their bye week whereas Carolina hasn't had theirs yet, so he'd effectively skip his bye week. 

He would join this list of players who have played 17 games in a season in NFL history:

YEAR PLAYER TEAMS GAMES
1993 Chris Singleton New England-Miami 17
1995 Dexter Carter New York Jets-San Francisco 17
2004 Jerry Rice Oakland-Seattle 17
2004 Micah Ross San Diego-Carolina 17
2009 Will Witherspoon St. Louis-Philadelphia 17

54 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

At least the Bills have a shot of winning the division instead of the ******* Pats. 

I think they honestly believe they have a chance at the division & I agree with them. Look at the teams who gave the Pats fits & the types of QBs.

Alex Smith, Deshaun Watson, Cam Newton. Mobile guys that throw on the run. Benjamin DOMINATED the smaller Pats secondary in that game against the Pats. Him & Funchess just kept catching box out balls. Mathews + Benjamin = tough match up for the Pats D and their sh*tty slow LBs trying to do both, stopping Shady McCoy & match up with their WRs + have to chase Tyrod Taylor around? 

Bills beat us up tomorrow night & get 2 shots at the Pats to take over the division. Not as far fetched as some fans might think. Hogans hurt 3/4 weeks out. No Hightower for the rest of the season, Bills secondary playing with great cohesion. Gonna be fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

One weird note:  If Kelvin plays against us on Thursday night, he could potentially play a 17-game season.  The Bills have already had their bye week whereas Carolina hasn't had theirs yet, so he'd effectively skip his bye week. 

He would join this list of players who have played 17 games in a season in NFL history:

YEAR PLAYER TEAMS GAMES
1993 Chris Singleton New England-Miami 17
1995 Dexter Carter New York Jets-San Francisco 17
2004 Jerry Rice Oakland-Seattle 17
2004 Micah Ross San Diego-Carolina 17
2009 Will Witherspoon St. Louis-Philadelphia 17

Would it also mean he'll play the Patsies three times in the same regular season? Wonder if that's happened much before.

8 hours ago, jamesr said:

They drafted one, yes ... and seem to be doing their best to destroy what they just drafted.

Its called trial and error. For QB needy team to ignore their greatest need is ridiculous. They took a shot and it didn't work out. At least they are being proactive in their search for that elusive QB. More than I can say for some GM's.

19 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Like, so weird.

Well that's frustrating.

On 10/31/2017 at 4:43 PM, nycdan said:

The way things stand, they'll be a dozen picks below us in the draft.  The extra first, from KC, won't be enough to close that gap and we have an extra 2nd as well.  They may be players for a QB but they aren't the biggest threat.  CLE, NYG, ARI and JAX are the ones to watch.  

yes, i don't see why the bills would want to move away from tyrod unless their season goes south.  as for the other teams, totally agree.  i'd throw pittsburgh in the mix and wouldn't rule out the 49ers.  they got garapolo but he may not be the answer.

15 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Its called trial and error. For QB needy team to ignore their greatest need is ridiculous. They took a shot and it didn't work out. At least they are being proactive in their search for that elusive QB. More than I can say for some GM's.

Thing is, I doubt even Watson would be having any success right now in Cleveland ... playing a guy before he's ready can be worse than letting him develop and take over at the right time. Even SF are saying Garapolo may not see the field this season. You have to put these players in positions to succeed, and not expect them to suddenly elevate all the crap around them, IMHO.

On 10/31/2017 at 5:46 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Looks like a big reason the Panthers pulled the trigger here was the financial aspect.  While Benjamin isn't a free agent until after the 2018 season, the remaining $8M of his contract would have been fully guaranteed if he was on the Panther roster at the start of the new league year.

Thus, rather than wait until the offseason to deal him, or write up a new contract, the Panthers went ahead and dealt him now.

The starting WR's on the outside for Carolina are now Funchess and 2013 UDFA Russell Shepard, who has 41 career catches over 5 years, with Curtis Samuel in the slot.  

Which begs the question, if you are in win now mode with a QB like Cam, why trade him at all?? Why not resign K.Benjamin? You HAVE to pay good players at some point. I never understand these kind of moves. 

On 10/31/2017 at 11:30 PM, Gastineau Lives said:

The big debate around here used to be who was better, Cooks or Benjamin. So funny they're both in our division now.

Meanwhile Calvin Pryor is in Cleveland and we used the 6th pick overall just to replace him

29 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Which begs the question, if you are in win now mode with a QB like Cam, why trade him at all?? Why not resign K.Benjamin? You HAVE to pay good players at some point. I never understand these kind of moves. 

Contract negotiations probably broke down.  

34 minutes ago, PepPep said:

The Panthers are a cheap organization, so they aren't going to take risks often.  I guess they viewed Benjamin as either a poor fit for Cam OR an injury risk, and thus didn't want to draw up a new contract for him.  

Doesn't make much sense to me either.  I think for an inaccurate pocket passer like Cam, Benjamin is someone you need to have around.  He's big, has great hands, and can pull down passes even if they're not great throws.  He lacks speed, which Cam needs out of a WR, but you can always find a Ted Ginn type of guy for the deep launches to play on the other side.  It's much harder to find another Kelvin.  

8 hours ago, jamesr said:

Thing is, I doubt even Watson would be having any success right now in Cleveland ... playing a guy before he's ready can be worse than letting him develop and take over at the right time. Even SF are saying Garapolo may not see the field this season. You have to put these players in positions to succeed, and not expect them to suddenly elevate all the crap around them, IMHO.

Quite possibly true. Watson is having success in Texas because of the strong surrounding cast no doubt. The thing is Cleveland didn't ignore their need for a QB and while Kizer has not worked out so far at least the Browns picked a QB in the draft. Unlike the Jets who completely ignored their need for a QB. That was the whole point of the post you responded too.

Archived