Washington Redhawks

Warfish

11 hours ago, NoBowles said:

I’m being honest, I don’t understand how a pro sports team being named after a “group” is insulting. We treat sports teams like icons and demigods. It’s more of an honor than an insult by far.

Ignorance of the level is just.....wow. 

Going to go out on a limb here and guess you're a white, male, Christian of some variety, whose never faced a single day of their lives as anything other then the utterly dominant socio-political majority of their culture and country.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Going to go out on a limb here and guess you're a white, male, Christian of some variety, whose never faced a single day of their lives as anything other then the utterly dominant socio-political majority of their culture and country.

I grew up in Israel and moved to north jersey when I was 12. You couldn't fathom what I have gone through in my life, or even the things I had faced by the time I was 9, there is a saying about assumptions......

Just now, NoBowles said:

I grew up in Israel and moved to north jersey when I was 12. You couldn't fathom what I have gone through in my life, or even the things I had faced by the time I was 9, there is a saying about assumptions......

Then you're far FAR worse than I thought. 

For someone who claims to have faced such things to be so ignorant when it's done to others is a spectacular level of fail.

Just now, NoBowles said:

Nice..... I guess Jews and Israelis are fair game to you, but other "groups" aren't...... And I am the bad one....

Has nothing to do with Jews.  YOU, you individually, are the problem.  

Nice try tho to use your religion as a shield for your own tolerance of bigotry and hatred.  With every post you expose yourself.  

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Has nothing to do with Jews.  YOU, you individually, are the problem.  

Nice try tho to use your religion as a shield for your own tolerance of bigotry and hatred.  With every post you expose yourself.  

I don't even know what the hell you are talking about, and I don't think you do either, your angrily ranting over nonsense that you can't qualify. LOL at tolerance of bigotry and hatred, your so out of your league it's not even funny. Assumptions are a dangerous thing, the one being exposed is you my friend.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

I don't even know what the hell you are talking about, and I don't think you do either, your angrily ranting over nonsense that you can't qualify. LOL at tolerance of bigotry and hatred, your so out of your league it's not even funny. Assumptions are a dangerous thing, the one being exposed is you my friend.

Let me remind you:

I’m being honest, I don’t understand how a pro sports team being named after a “group” is insulting. We treat sports teams like icons and demigods. It’s more of an honor than an insult by far.

Calling a team the New York Kikes would not, in fact, be an "honor".:rolleyes:

My immediate and extended family consists of Italians, Jews and Asian / buddhists.

The jokes around the table at our holiday gatherings are so non-pc and yet just so much fun.

We ignore the thought police trying to tell us what we should and should not consider humorous.

The thin-skinned pc crowd that refuses to acknowledge the humor baked into our own ethnic groups are the real losers here.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

7 of 10 suicides in America are committed by white men, you know, because it's such a ******* party.

Being part Iroquois, I will chime in on the debate.

I dont find the term redskin to be inherently offensive, some others may. In fact the origin of the term can be traced back Native Americans refering to themselves as such when negotiating with whites/blacks hundreds of years ago.

Anyway, thats my 2 pennies.

1 minute ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I dont find the term redskin to be inherently offensive, some others may. In fact the origin of the term can be traced back Native Americans refering to themselves as such when negotiating with whites/blacks hundreds of years ago.

You should shut up right now, there's an SJW that knows more about these things than you do and he's about to tell you why you should be offended.

2 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

OK lets give the semites and native americans a break here and and shift the ethnic humor.

My wife is from Myanmar.

When we argue she always plays the rice card. 

I can never win.

BaaaaaHaHaaaahaaaaaa!

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Let me remind you:

Calling a team the New York Kikes would not, in fact, be an "honor".:rolleyes:

57 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

While you are reminding, you probably need some education. Again, this is why assumptions are dangerous. I work for a company that happens to be owned and run by Native Americans. So I am probably a bit more in touch with their culture than you are, although for all I know you may be half Irish and half Native American, I don't want to ASSume anything.

They often refer to themselves as red in comparing themselves to others in our office.

In many cases, how words are used is far more offensive than the words themselves.

Your use of Kike is meant in an offensive and derogatory manner. That said, having grown up having knives held to my throat by age 6, there are no names I can be called that can ruffle my feathers, but you may have offended some others in your attempt to stop me from being such a horribly offensive person.

1 hour ago, BUM-KNEE said:

LOL Well Im waiting...

Waiting for what?

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's based on a partial or inaccurate reading of the history of the term or the reasons why it's universally considered a racial epithet.  Your individual choice to be offended or not isn't relevant to the term or similar terms anymore than my opinion on a word changes what Miriam-Webster lists as that words definition.  

As a similar example, African American rappers can say N*gger all they like.  It's still a racial slur and no one would call a Pro Football team the Lynchburg N*ggers today.

If you'd like to read further, I would suggest here for a good start, but the topic is broad and the available historical readings many.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/06/a-linguist-on-why-redskin-is-racist-patent-overturned/373198/

With that said, it seems your not the only Iroquois who sides with the 'Skins.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Washington-Redskins-Response-Statement/96e2765f-3464-48b2-a4c2-c63af09ad310

Given's the Washington Redskins deep and broad racist history as a franchise, and the majority-minority city they represent, and their primary motivation not being "honor" but cost and profit, you can decide for yourself to like it or not, to take the team at it's word or not.  But none of that changes that the name, the word, is a racial slur in 2017, and has been for the vast majority of it's history. 

1 hour ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Excellent post, and good friends of mine have said the exact same thing to me on multiple occasions.

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

While you are reminding, you probably need some education. Again, this is why assumptions are dangerous. I work for a company that happens to be owned and run by Native Americans. So I am probably a bit more in touch with their culture than you are, although for all I know you may be half Irish and half Native American, I don't want to ASSume anything.

They often refer to themselves as red in comparing themselves to others in our office.

This is what bothers me, why are they allowed to say it but were not

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

In many cases, how words are used is far more offensive than the words themselves.

Your use of Kike is meant in an offensive and derogatory manner. That said, having grown up having knives held to my throat by age 6, there are no names I can be called that can ruffle my feathers, but you may have offended some others in your attempt to stop me from being such a horribly offensive person.

I didnt use the word kike

16 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I think we'd run into a problem when the entire fanbase says "$#%^$@ing Jews" after a painful loss

Or even the fanbase getting fired up. I think Tom is right. There is gold in them thar hills

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Waiting for what?

You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's based on a partial or inaccurate reading of the history of the term or the reasons why it's universally considered a racial epithet.  Your individual choice to be offended or not isn't relevant to the term or similar terms anymore than my opinion on a word changes what Miriam-Webster lists as that words definition.  

As a similar example, African American rappers can say N*gger all they like.  It's still a racial slur and no one would call a Pro Football team the Lynchburg N*ggers today.

If you'd like to read further, I would suggest here for a good start, but the topic is broad and the available historical readings many.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/06/a-linguist-on-why-redskin-is-racist-patent-overturned/373198/

With that said, it seems your not the only Iroquois who sides with the 'Skins.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Washington-Redskins-Response-Statement/96e2765f-3464-48b2-a4c2-c63af09ad310

Huh? The term WAS used by Native Americans to describe themselves first.

9 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

And rappers use N*gger.  Doesn't mean you can name YOUR team the N*ggers.  

Is this really that hard to get in 2017?

9 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Your use of Kike is meant in an offensive and derogatory manner.

Thank you for proving my point.  There is no "use" of Kike that ISN'T offensive or derogatory.

Nice that you can see that about a term that inflict harm on yourself, but are so blind and uncaring that a similar term, with a similar history, and a similar trail of historic blood on it, should equally not be used today.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And rappers use N*gger.  Doesn't mean you can name YOUR team the N*ggers.  

Is this really that hard to get in 2017?

Thank you for proving my point.  There is no "use" of Kike that ISN'T offensive or derogatory.

Nice that you can see that about a term that inflict harm on yourself, but are so blind and uncaring that a similar term, with a similar history, and a similar trail of historic blood on it, should equally not be used today.

The fact that your comparing red to N word or Kike shows you are the one who doesn’t get it, but carry on....

Archived