If Jets lose out on Cousins and Draft goes this way, what's the plan?

Sully80

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm not sure we can confirm or deny this. Based off what I saw the last 3 years that could just as easily have been him playing the best QB we had. The way we force fed reps to Hack last preseason it seemed pretty evident they wanted him to win the starting job. 

Bowles has a perfectly reasonable excuse: Hack and Petty both looked terrible in TC.  Sure, Petty showed flashes playing 3rd stringers

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Rudolph should be the pick at 6 if we don’t sign cousins he will be better in the nfl than Mayfield and Jackson 

Thay might be true but I think we can trade DOWN and still have him available.

The more I think about this draft & the proliferation of QBs at the top, I am starting to wonder if the Giants would actually take a QB at #2 with Eli Manning still there. How can you sit a #2 overall QB, and if Eli has 1 bad game early, the buzz for the backup would be huge. 

The Giants have NO PASS RUSH, a TERRIBLE OLINE , no RBs. TERRIBLE LBs. They will be losing their center (Richburg), they have a plethora of high paid veterans that they bought in free agency. They need their 1st rounder to CONTRIBUTE! 

I actually DO NOT see the Giants trading with the NY Jets. So, I actually believe that if Cousins chooses the Vikings or Jets over the Broncos that John Elway will be doing everything to trade up into the #2 position with the NY Giants to draft Rosen. 

This draft has studs at the top, especially at #5 the Giants would have many, many choices & more picks to start getting their salary cap in line. Giants are also going to have to franchise Beckham, so by trading back you might even see them draft Kirk to hedge their bets. Gettleman is not afraid of hurting OBJs ego. He's no nonsense. 

If this actually went down the way I believe it could, if Cousins did unexpectedly choose our Jets, because we still would have probably 60 million still left in free agency. So, call me crazy but I would try to trade up to #3 and draft Sequan Barkley. It wouldn't cost a fortune to go from #6 to #3, Indy could use more picks, and we have a sh*t ton of money even with a Cousins contract to fix our Oline. 100 million in cap dollars allows you to fill gaps if you trade picks. 

Jets could go hard in free agency land Cousins, sign Norwell & Richburg or Jensen. Broncos trade up for Rosen, Jets trade up & draft Barkley. 

How exciting would 2018 be going in with Cousins, (Barkley, Powell, McGuire), Beachum, Norwell, Richburg or Jensen, Winters, Shell. 

Kearse, Anderson, Enunwa, (cut vet WR- someone is getting cut), Hansen, Stewart. Leggett, Sterling, Tomlinson, Draft pick (Doekert?). 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Mccags thinks he can luck into a qb so he can draft how a scout would draft, BAP, and not how a gm would draft, which is, find a qb no matter what.  There never seems to be any sense of urgency to anything mccagnan does.  And he seems to come up with these phony reasons not to take offensive players in the first round.  And he genually does not seem to realize that the reason these defensive players fall to him is because other teams are drafting offensive players to adapt to a changing nfl where flags are thrown on defensive players for anything.

And also because the rules by design mean even the best of defenses and the best defenders are going to fail every game, several times a game. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

And also because the rules by design mean even the best of defenses and the best defenders are going to fail every game, several times a game. 

There are hundreds of posters here who can write the spin doctoring that mccags is going to do when they draft Chubb, passing on mayfield after darnold/Rosen/allen go top 5.  Then the dolphins will get mayfield, someone like the ravens will take Lamar jackson, and all day Friday leading into day 2 of the draft we'll hear about how the draft isn't over, there are plenty of good qb prospects still available, that they still intend to address offense, etc.  

i know nothing's happened yet.  I just feel that this year is different for me.  I can't endure another offseason of not getting a qb, not drafting offensive players in the first and second rounds, not seriously trying to really fix the offense.  If these guys can't figure out how to get a qb when you have cousins, along with darnold, Rosen, mayfield, allen and jackson, if the jets don't come away with one of these guys, i think it's really, really hard to root for this team, impossible to trust current management, and when the browns are trotting out darnold and Barkley, we will finally be the laughing stock of this league.  You can't keep drafting defensive linemen and defensive backs and expect to outscore teams.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

There are hundreds of posters here who can write the spin doctoring that mccags is going to do when they draft Chubb, passing on mayfield after darnold/Rosen/allen go top 5.  Then the dolphins will get mayfield, someone like the ravens will take Lamar jackson, and all day Friday leading into day 2 of the draft we'll hear about how the draft isn't over, there are plenty of good qb prospects still available, that they still intend to address offense, etc.  

i know nothing's happened yet.  I just feel that this year is different for me.  I can't endure another offseason of not getting a qb, not drafting offensive players in the first and second rounds, not seriously trying to really fix the offense.  If these guys can't figure out how to get a qb when you have cousins, along with darnold, Rosen, mayfield, allen and jackson, if the jets don't come away with one of these guys, i think it's really, really hard to root for this team, impossible to trust current management, and when the browns are trotting out darnold and Barkley, we will finally be the laughing stock of this league.  You can't keep drafting defensive linemen and defensive backs and expect to outscore teams.  

Mayfield will be a bust

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Nobody knows Bridgewater better than the Vikings....and they don't seem to want him.

If we sign a veteran I’d rather McCown 

bridgewater was never good and who who knows if he can even survive a full game with that leg

On 2/12/2018 at 2:11 PM, Sully80 said:

Assuming Mac doesn't have the stones to trade up, the board falls like this:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Allen (trade)

4. Barkley

5. Mayfield

6. ????

Assuming the rest of the expected FA QBs are available, personally, I would bring in one of McCarron, Foles, or Keenum and draft Chubb if this happened. I'm curious to see what people on here think, because I don't believe its such an unlikely scenario. What is more likely than this however, is that Keenum, McCarron, Foles and the rest of the lot have already signed with a team or have been traded prior to the draft, which means we'd probably just have to sign up for McCown and Hackenberg :1cry:

It is going to go 1 - Barkley, 2 - Chubb, 3 - Darnold, 4 - Allen, 5 - Mayfield, 6 - Quentin Nelson (if Jets sign FA QB) otherwise it is Rosen, who I really don't like. I see him as a Ken O'Brien clone. Great arm but skinny and will be sacked and injured a lot.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:54 PM, nycdan said:

Well according to cbssports, Rudolph is the best QB in the class so we'll probably just take him and claim he was on top of our board the whole time.

Though it would be incredibly ironic if mccags tried to sell the fan base on him when petty and hack just bombed.  But if they don't get cousins and bring in bridgewater, get ready for Chubb, Rudolph and a cb in the first two rounds.  

Macc would take Chubb and not look back. It would be hailed by the talking heads as a coup and not over-thinking it. It actually would be a no-brainer. The exact situation Macc relishes in the first round.

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree on Rosen and Darnold.  After that it's more of a crapshoot between Allen, Mayfield and then guys like Rudolph, Jackson, Lauletta, Falk, etc.  I'm not sure I'd want to take Lauletta simply because he "fits the system."  If we pick the right QB he's going to last much longer than the offensive coordinator will IMO, and having a guy who may struggle with the deep ball eventually limits a team (see Ryan Fitzpatrick).

I'm not a huge Mayfield fan but there are many reputable voices saying he's absolutely worth a Top 10 pick.  I don't know about him or Josh Allen but both are compelling at #6 to me.

Everyone else you mentioned (Bradley Chubb presumably at #6.....Michel, Chubb or Jones in Round 2 and Daniels in Round 2) I'd be 100% onboard with.  In fact, my dream scenario would be if the Jets could land Cousins and completely take QB need off the board at #6, allowing them to go Bradley Chubb, Jones and then Daniels.  QB, RB and C (the straight up middle of the O addressed in one offseason) + the true demon pass rusher the Jets have lacked since John Abraham.

Word has it Mayfield could easily number 1 overall? Apparently Cleveland likes him a lot. Personally, I doubt it happens, but it could.

17 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Honestly, I don't believe there is a scenario where the Jets come out of the first round without a QB (Cousins aside)

1 hour ago, Jetscreen said:

Word has it Mayfield could easily number 1 overall? Apparently Cleveland likes him a lot. Personally, I doubt it happens, but it could.

While Allen is my least favorite of the 4 - I would be happy coming away with any of them.  and I think we will.  Even if we stay at 6 it's likely.

Feels like there are 2 elite prospects outside of QB that will go top 5 (Chubb/Barkley) even if we don't trade up we should get one of the 4.  My guess right now is it'll be Mayfield.  I think he'll be the best of the group but he's the least defensible from a GM's perspective.

Archived