If Jets lose out on Cousins and Draft goes this way, what's the plan?

Sully80

On 2/12/2018 at 2:11 PM, Sully80 said:

Assuming Mac doesn't have the stones to trade up, the board falls like this:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Allen (trade)

4. Barkley

5. Mayfield

6. ????

Assuming the rest of the expected FA QBs are available, personally, I would bring in one of McCarron, Foles, or Keenum and draft Chubb if this happened. I'm curious to see what people on here think, because I don't believe its such an unlikely scenario. What is more likely than this however, is that Keenum, McCarron, Foles and the rest of the lot have already signed with a team or have been traded prior to the draft, which means we'd probably just have to sign up for McCown and Hackenberg :1cry:

Here is the problem.  IF we miss out on Cousins, would we have a contingency plan in Foles, Keenum, McCarron, or anyone else?

IF it plays out that way, I think you have to move down in the draft because I am sure someone would move up to draft Bradley Chubb....OR you just take Bradley Chubb and cross pass-rusher off the list.  Mac would have to know if he does not come out of this off-season with a QB, it will be his last year here though. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Here is the problem.  IF we miss out on Cousins, would we have a contingency plan in Foles, Keenum, McCarron, or anyone else?

IF it plays out that way, I think you have to move down in the draft because I am sure someone would move up to draft Bradley Chubb....OR you just take Bradley Chubb and cross pass-rusher off the list.  Mac would have to know if he does not come out of this off-season with a QB, it will be his last year here though. 

And the fact that there are very few realistic scenarios that don't have him coming out with one makes it even moreso. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

And the fact that there are very few realistic scenarios that don't have him coming out with one makes it even moreso. 

Never underestimate the Jets' ability to discover unrealistic ways to screw the pooch

Assuming Mac doesn't have the stones to trade up, the board falls like this:
1. Darnold
2. Rosen
3. Allen (trade)
4. Barkley
5. Mayfield
6. ????
Assuming the rest of the expected FA QBs are available, personally, I would bring in one of McCarron, Foles, or Keenum and draft Chubb if this happened. I'm curious to see what people on here think, because I don't believe its such an unlikely scenario. What is more likely than this however, is that Keenum, McCarron, Foles and the rest of the lot have already signed with a team or have been traded prior to the draft, which means we'd probably just have to sign up for McCown and Hackenberg :1cry:

Chubb will be gone by 5

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Best case scenario. Jets sign Cousins, someone targets a player that dropped to 6 and we trade out gaining another 2! You can do some damage with 3 number 2 picks in this draft! 

Depending on where they trade back to you could be talking (Brown, Nelson or Davenport) & Harold, Michel & Daniels in the 2nd! Damn! Oline, RB, Edge fixed. Use Free Agency for CB. 

On 2/12/2018 at 2:37 PM, Lupz27 said:

Lamar Jackson is better then both Allen, and Mayfield.  Combine, and Pro days haven’t even happened yet everyone needs to chill the **** out.

:unsure: Way too many question marks.  Is he smart enough to make pro reads ? Can he stay healthy with his style of running the ball so much ? Can he make the major changes to his style to be an NFL QB? Has he ever gotten to his progressions from the pocket ? These are question the scouts are asking.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Best case scenario. Jets sign Cousins, someone targets a player that dropped to 6 and we trade out gaining another 2! You can do some damage with 3 number 2 picks in this draft! 

Depending on where they trade back to you could be talking (Brown, Nelson or Davenport) & Harold, Michel & Daniels in the 2nd! Damn! Oline, RB, Edge fixed. Use Free Agency for CB. 

I can't help myself.  Our last six 2nd round picks before Marcus Maye:

Christian Hackenberg, Devin Smith, Jace Amaro, Geno Smith, Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse, 

Yes...I would say damage was done :)

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

:unsure: Way too many question marks.  Is he smart enough to make pro reads ? Can he stay healthy with his style of running the ball so much ? Can he make the major changes to his style to be an NFL QB? Has he ever gotten to his progressions from the pocket ? These are question the scouts are asking.

These are question marks to uninformed scouts, the people who know him know he is smart, dedicated, coach able, watched him improve in the pocket with huge strides every season, and has never been injured.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:22 PM, Mike135 said:

Try to tank successfully in 2018.  Keep building youth.  And save for a massive spending spree in 2019.

If they blow the tank again in 2018...  Try again in 2019.

Repeat until successful.

Exactly. Name Hack your QB for 2018. And pray that the 2019 includes an elite QB prospect. 

But that won’t happen. Jets will screw up, sign another stop gap QB that won’t spend more than two years here. Jets win 5 games and the vicious cycle continues....

5 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Exactly. Name Hack your QB for 2018. And pray that the 2019 includes an elite QB prospect. 

But that won’t happen. Jets will screw up, sign another stop gap QB that won’t spend more than two years here. Jets win 5 games and the vicious cycle continues....

Image result for jake fromm

On 2/13/2018 at 9:15 AM, bla bla bla said:

I just don't see this as possible, I'd be furious if the Jets get out bid for that #3 pick. We have more ammo than anyone that would trade up, there is no excuse.

The Jets will get outbid bc Mac n Bowles will do what’s best for Mac and Bowles. Hard to believe the Owner of a team valued over $2B allows a coach and GM to operate where #1 priority is to get another extension any way possible. As opposed to doing what’s best for the team = trading up for an elite QB prospect. 

2 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

The Jets will get outbid bc Mac n Bowles will do what’s best for Mac and Bowles. Hard to believe the Owner of a team valued over $2B allows a coach and GM to operate where #1 priority is to get another extension any way possible. As opposed to doing what’s best for the team = trading up for an elite QB prospect. 

I think its's Cousins or trade up, I'd be very surprised if we didn't do one of those. Cousins is obviously the 1st choice because it allows Mac to go BPA but I do think our team is in a better place to move up this year than in years past.

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

These are question marks to uninformed scouts, the people who know him know he is smart, dedicated, coach able, watched him improve in the pocket with huge strides every season, and has never been injured.

These are NFL scouts. They just might know how to evaluate a QB. NFL is a little rougher than the college game.

On 2/26/2018 at 8:59 AM, Philc1 said:

Chubb or Davenport at 6 then use both second round picks to trade back into the first round for Rudolph or Jackson

you wont need to trade up for Rudolph and trading both second rounders to trade up when the Jets have a ton of needs to fill I don't think would be a good idea.

On 2/24/2018 at 4:49 PM, nycdan said:

I can't help myself.  Our last six 2nd round picks before Marcus Maye:

Christian Hackenberg, Devin Smith, Jace Amaro, Geno Smith, Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse, 

Yes...I would say damage was done :)

What a colossal waste of valuable draft picks.  A blindfolded Mike Tyson throwing darts at a list of Draft prospects would have given us better results!

Archived