If you don't want Allen, who you taking??

MDL_JET

Say the draft goes something like...

Browns - Darnold

Giants - Barkley/Nelson

Colts - trade to Bills - Rosen

Browns - Chubb

Broncos - Mayfield

Jets - ?????

A lot of fans here don't want Allen no matter what, so what player would you gladly take over him after calming down that the Jets already failed at trading up for a QB?? (No trade downs, just as is) 

Nelson/Barkley? Davenport? MINKA? Ward? 

IMO...I'd take either Nelson or Barkley. I don't wanna take a RB that high but F it, it scares me too much for them to wait till the 2nd and pick the right one. 

I'd take Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield at #6.  If those three QBs are gone I'd be fine with Barkley, Chubb or even Nelson.  And then I'd pray my ass off that Teddy 2.0 turns out to be Teddy 1.0 again.  A new Center (Long), Guard (Nelson), QB (Bridgewater) and RB (Crowell) wouldn't be the worst way to enter the 2018 season.

11 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm am still amazed that the experts love Allen for his "potential", but they don't like Jackson.  I don't get it.

Jackson isn't 6'5 and is really skinny. He doesn't look like what a QB normally does, nor does Mayfield imo but his passing stats are superior to anyone else's 

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He's 6'3". So, I guess 2 inches in heght outweighs rare athletic ability.

Jackson lacks the prototypical build, and super arm that Allen does. He also suffers from almost identical poor CMP %, and doesn't have the record breaking fastball, but one of the weakest arms in the entire draft.

4 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Jackson lacks the prototypical build, and super arm that Allen does. He also suffers from almost identical poor CMP %, and doesn't have the record breaking fastball, but one of the weakest arms in the entire draft.

I think I know the answer, but how did you happen upon your “weakest arms in the draft” conclusion? 

7 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Clocks at the combine, watching tons of film.

Watch more film.

The kid can sling it, effortlessly.  If you watch his combine tape they talk about how he was trying so hard to hold back and be “careful” with his accuracy, but in games (if you want to go back and actually watch) he flicks his wrist and has the ball jump out of his hand on a frozen rope. 

He is an inaccurate passer, but he’s not a weak-armed QB. 

31 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Watch more film.

The kid can sling it, effortlessly.  If you watch his combine tape they talk about how he was trying so hard to hold back and be “careful” with his accuracy, but in games (if you want to go back and actually watch) he flicks his wrist and has the ball jump out of his hand on a frozen rope. 

Seems that way to me too

1 hour ago, Greenseed4 said:

Watch more film.

he’s got a really nice compact motion and quick release, the only problem I’ve seen is that the ball tends to sometimes flutter instead of coming out as a tight spiral coming out of his hand- you see it mostly on the out routes. part of it might be how much pressure he saw carrying that louisville team behind that garbage OL (sacked 46 times last season) so I think he could benefit greatly if he was drafted by a team that could afford to have him sit initially and let him refine his mechanics. at #3 I think that means he’s out of the picture for the jets but I’d still take him ahead of allen

2 hours ago, cant wait said:

he’s got a really nice compact motion and quick release, the only problem I’ve seen is that the ball tends to sometimes flutter instead of coming out as a tight spiral coming out of his hand- you see it mostly on the out routes. part of it might be how much pressure he saw carrying that louisville team behind that garbage OL (sacked 46 times last season) so I think he could benefit greatly if he was drafted by a team that could afford to have him sit initially and let him refine his mechanics. at #3 I think that means he’s out of the picture for the jets but I’d still take him ahead of allen

I feel like Lamar Jackson is this enigma who is going to eventually light up the NFL unlike anything we've ever seen, and everyone who sees him do his thing on Sunday is going to ask themselves how they missed it in the pre-draft process.  Or, he's going to find out what happens when you become too dangerous as an open field runner in the NFL.  There's a precedent for protecting QBs, and a dead pool for run-first passers. 

That said, I think Josh Allen is the smart play for long term success, and I'm willing to stand by that. 

(Josh Rosen is the smart play for immediate success, and Baker Mayfield is a guy who will entertain and dabble in playoff attendance.  The true unknown for me is Darnold.  I don't get the hype or the "it" that everyone sees in him.  I guess the Houdini act is exciting and fun, but he seems like a JAG to me) 

Rosen is the best pure passer and most Pro ready QB in this draft. The Jets traded up in hopes of Rosen 'falling' to them at 3. 

But Jet fans should not get too excited. 1-2 more concussions and Rosen might retire. I think Macc knows this but is willing to take the risk. That is a massive concern and IMO a big reason why the Giants are hesitating on taking Rosen at 2 and will either take Barkley, Chubb, Nelson or trade out. If the Giants trade out, the Jets may not get Rosen anyway...and this could be a blessing in disguise if he gets hurt early in his career. 

Don't be surprised if the Jets end up with Allen. I think Macc will pull the trigger on Allen if Darnold goes #1 to the Browns and Rosen goes #2 via trade with the Giants....possibly the Cardinals or Bills. Again, ending up with Allen might be a blessing in disguise. The concussions are a big concern for me. It's sad b/c Rosen has a ton of talent and looks like he could step right in and dominate if given the right kind of support. 

If the Gianst decide to go with a QB not named Rosen (or trade out and the team involved takes a QB not named Rosen) the Jets WILL take a chance on him. IMHO. 

Archived