Lamar Jackson Should (Apparently) be the #1 Pick, and If You Don't Agree You Are Probably a Racist/Racially Biased

Warfish

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many run first QB's have won a SB ? 0

How many run first QB's have made it to a SB ? 0

How many run first QB's have had any success in the playoffs ? 1 year Micheal Vick and he lost on the NFCCG

How many run first QB's suffer from a lot of Injuries ? Most if not all of them in the NFL

Its not a black and white thing its a run/pass thing. Ask Tim Tebow

The NFL is a copycat league that overreacts to recent history. The most recent prolific dual threat QB with a slight build to come out of college and get drafted high (RGIII) was a monumental bust. I think the league has overcorrected away from QB’s like Jackson.

Jackson is actually a pretty good passer and obviously an outstanding athlete runner. I think if this was 2008 he’d go #1 overall.

And if he’s successful the league will overcorrect the other way and draft some mobile guys too high.

Don't watch college football. Just watched the combine throws. Yeah, no, he shouldn't be the number one pick based on his combine throwing. He may have a lot going for him in terms of leadership, intangibles, and athleticism (didn't see  those on display), but his arm didn't seem strong and he wasn't too accurate. His game tape is probably very different since he'd be actually playing as opposed to just throwing. Just watched some highlight tape. Makes a lot of plays with his legs. Makes good throws. He's going to get lit up, and maybe fumble a lot, in the NFL though if he tries playing the same way. Saw a lot of missed tackles and let up which he won't see in at the next level. I'd draft him as QB, but not at one. 

1 hour ago, BrickTamland said:

You've gone off the track here bringing race into this. Nice way of responding.

You sound foolish with these comparisons. Newton (4.59) and McNabb (4.64) are the same type of electrifying athlete as Vick (4.33), RG3 (4.41) and Jackson (~4.3 per his word). Nice try.

I did not know electrifying athlete was limited to speed in the 40. My bad.

I watched about 10 minutes of the highlight reel and he is certainly an electrifying player.  However, I agree with most on here that that style isn't going to succeed long-term in the NFL.  Running QBs always either:

a) Get hurt and aren't the same after

b) The head coach teaches them to not run because they'll get hurt.  That ends up taking away the thing that makes them electrifying in the first place.

Having said that, I did try to see what the deal is with his accuracy and if he showed promise in that area.  I do think he throws with nice touch (at least in his highlight reel).  3 examples:

8:02 Accurate sideline throw
10:14 Steps up to avoid blitz then throws strike
12:07 Accurate sideline throw

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he shows the kind of promise Deshaun Watson showed.  One other thing I've noticed about the NFL is that seems to be turning more like college football (e.g. with the RPO type stuff).  I do think Jackson is well suited for the league today but I still wouldn't draft him due to the likelihood of injury.  Let's not forget that as great as Deshaun Watson was last year, he got hurt in practice.  The NFL is full of monsters and every team has players with much better athleticism than he faced in college.  That's not to say he won't be a tremendous runner.  I have zero doubt he will be.  But if he becomes a "pass 1st" QB, it sounds like he'll need some work (as they said he did poorly in the chalkboard tests or whatever they're called).  Even having said that, I sure as heck hope he doesn't go to Miami or Buffalo because I do think that, while healthy, he's going to be a very difficult QB to play against.  

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I have a question that I truly want an answer too .  Has Lamar Jackson ever missed a game at Louisville because he was injured ?

No

Zero injury history. Other prospects have been injured but for some reason those prospects won't get injured in the NFL but Lamar Jackson will

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I have a question that I truly want an answer too .  Has Lamar Jackson ever missed a game at Louisville because he was injured ?

I don't know but I still think it's irrelevant.  In college there's a huge discrepancy with athletes.  In the pros, every team is going to be very athletic (including the worst teams).  Again that's not to say he won't be able to outrun these guys on a lot of plays.  But there are also going to be times where he gets the stuffing knocked out of him.

11 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

No

Zero injury history. Other prospects have been injured but for some reason those prospects won't get injured in the NFL but Lamar Jackson will

Running QB's get hurt in the NFL. Everyone is big and fast at this level. The guy might turn out to be a stud but pocket passers are what have been proven to win long term in the NFL. Mobility is important but you want a guy who thinks pass first. I get why people are skittish on him and to be honest I'd probably take him over Allen but I wouldn't touch either at 3

5 hours ago, Sully80 said:

My biggest issue with Lamar Jackson is his styler of play and his size. Idk what he weighs now but he looked every bit of 6'3/4" 190-205 lbs. He has a very thin/lean build. I'm not sure how durable he will be in the NFL. That's really my only issue except for the less than ideal completion percentage thats grossly skewed by the OL and drops he dealt with this past year.

He's 6" 3" not 3/4" and 216 lbs.

Archived