Sign in to follow this  
jetrider

That buzz you hear is all about Darnold

Rate this topic

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You may not agree - about Wilkerson in particular, but I have no insight as to why.

I value a QB over an RB. If both players are HoF, GOATs at their position when they retire, I'm taking the QB over the RB every single time.

I don't really understand your position. Are you saying that you would have taken Barkley over your choice of QB?

22 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

It appears the three franchises drafting from 1-3 got exactly who they deserved to get.  Now they have to live with it.  

I think Sam's maturity and focus is perfect for NY.

I'll tell you one thing, when you buck a trend (short QBs) not having great success in this league & you can only site Drew Brees and Russell Wilson (far more athletic than Baker) you better be right. If the Brownies missed again & Sam Darnold turns into a franchise QB for the Jets the next 15 years no way Dorsey doesn't drag that weight around for the rest of his life! This could be a Sam Bowie/ Michael Jordan type of scenario for both the Browns & the Giants regarding passing on Sam Darnold. We can only hope & pray it ends up this way & we can send Dorsey & Gettleman gifts every future draft.

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

I value a QB over an RB. If both players are HoF, GOATs at their position when they retire, I'm taking the QB over the RB every single time.

I don't really understand your position. Are you saying that you would have taken Barkley over your choice of QB?

None of what you said actually relates to my post.  I also value QB over RB.  I don't particularly like Barkley either - though I have seen him rated as a "perfect" prospect and he seemed the universally loved, highest floor prospect.  My actual point (that you are looking for) hasn't been made - that is that it is too early to start crowing about how dumb the Giants are - maybe we got the cow on ice and they got the greatest RB prospect in ages.  I don't think so and I certainly hope not, but I will wait until it happens to start talking sh*t about it. 

The point that I was actually making in the post was that I do not see the negative in the Giants riding Barkley hard.  That is a team that has had trouble finding an RB for several years. The mileage on the RB should make him cheaper come contract time.  All that factors in.  A guy having a short career is not an issue when you draft IMO - the draft pick is for the slotted contract.  What the team and player do after that is an issue of free agency.

19 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'll tell you one thing, when you buck a trend (short QBs) not having great success in this league & you can only site Drew Brees and Russell Wilson (far more athletic than Baker) you better be right. If the Brownies missed again & Sam Darnold turns into a franchise QB for the Jets the next 15 years no way Dorsey doesn't drag that weight around for the rest of his life! This could be a Sam Bowie/ Michael Jordan type of scenario for both the Browns & the Giants regarding passing on Sam Darnold. We can only hope & pray it ends up this way & we can send Dorsey & Gettleman gifts every future draft.

I hope and pray that happens.  If not for the Browns FO telling Sam's people from the beginning of his sophomore season, that they were going to select him #1 if he came out early, Sam would not have left USC early.  They weren't honest, and taking them for their word was a mistake.

or as Jordan Palmer said, Sam did not leave USC to go in the first round, he left to go #1 overall.

Sammy looks happy - is happy, so that is all that counts.  I'll hate those bastards with the Browns forever.  

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

None of what you said actually relates to my post.  I also value QB over RB.  I don't particularly like Barkley either - though I have seen him rated as a "perfect" prospect and he seemed the universally loved, highest floor prospect.  My actual point (that you are looking for) hasn't been made - that is that it is too early to start crowing about how dumb the Giants are - maybe we got the cow on ice and they got the greatest RB prospect in ages.  I don't think so and I certainly hope not, but I will wait until it happens to start talking sh*t about it. 

The point that I was actually making in the post was that I do not see the negative in the Giants riding Barkley hard.  That is a team that has had trouble finding an RB for several years. The mileage on the RB should make him cheaper come contract time.  All that factors in.  A guy having a short career is not an issue when you draft IMO - the draft pick is for the slotted contract.  What the team and player do after that is an issue of free agency.

Fair enough. I don't necessarily find the negative in the Giants loving and taking Barkley either...as a standalone pick. However, I find it in the lost opportunity cost of selecting a potential top 10 QB for the next 10-12 years; especially given Eli's age and productivity. That was the intent of my original post.

Of course it is too early to make any judgement on the Giants, just as it is too early to make any judgement on any player or team in the 2018 draft. But talking about the Giants strategy and how bad it was (IMO) is not casting judgement on the player's careers before they happen.

6 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I vowed in 1997 no sex until the Jets win a SB and all I can say is .........

IT HAS BEEN A LONG....LONG.....LONG... LONG TIME!!!!

And it looks to me that the drought is about to end....

tumblr_n1gcnx8D9H1stb99no1_500

Been married since then huh? 😝

13 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I hope and pray that happens.  If not for the Browns FO telling Sam's people from the beginning of his sophomore season, that they were going to select him #1 if he came out early, Sam would not have left USC early.  They weren't honest, and taking them for their word was a mistake.

or as Jordan Palmer said, Sam did not leave USC to go in the first round, he left to go #1 overall.

Sammy looks happy - is happy, so that is all that counts.  I'll hate those bastards with the Browns forever.  

how did the front office know they were going to be picking first?

2 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

how did the front office know they were going to be picking first?

They were talking to Sam's people (not an agent) beginning of his sophomore year, which Sam had no interest, by mid year, the Browns thought they had a good chance of the first pick. After the Rose Bowl they were talking to Sam's private coaches about picking him #1.  Sam decided to come out with the opportunity to go #1 overall.  

35 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

They were talking to Sam's people (not an agent) beginning of his sophomore year, which Sam had no interest, by mid year, the Browns thought they had a good chance of the first pick. After the Rose Bowl they were talking to Sam's private coaches about picking him #1.  Sam decided to come out with the opportunity to go #1 overall.  

Thank God they are dumb liars !!!

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I still wonder if the Jets would have taken Mayfield over Darnold, given the chance.  And I am eternally grateful it didn't come up as a choice they had to make.  

Judging by the poll of Jets fans picking Mayfield over Darnold, maybe Mayfield would have been the choice.

i can understand if it was Sammy vs Josh Rosen.

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

This is nonsense. There is little to no difference between being #1 or #3. QBs get their pay day on contract #2- the browns are literally the last place he’d want to go to get that.

24 minutes ago, nico002 said:

This is nonsense. There is little to no difference between being #1 or #3. QBs get their pay day on contract #2- the browns are literally the last place he’d want to go to get that.

There is pride in being the number 1 overall player selected in a professional sports draft. It’s a good amount of the reason they put hard work into their craft at the college level.

Every player wants that..it has little to do with the difference in money.

18 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Rather you think it's nonsense or not, what inside information are you privy too to counter my statement?  You don't know Sam either....he may not grab his crotch, plant a flag in an opposing field or childishly keep a list of those that he feels doesn't worship him as a god....but make no mistake, Sam is highly competitive, and if you think being #1 isn't important to Sam, you know nothing of the kid and just how competitive he is.

There is someone here, or your other site,  that lives in Southern California, L.A., that is welcome to our tailgate to meet me, and he can see exactly who and what I know.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

There is pride in being the number 1 overall player selected in a professional sports draft. It’s a good amount of the reason they put hard work into their craft at the college level.

Every player wants that..it has little to do with the difference in money.

After I posted, I read yours...you are spot on, also a factor, USC and our great rival, are tied for most #1 draft picks in CFB history. 

7 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Rather you think it's nonsense or not, what inside information are you privy too to counter my statement?  You don't know Sam either....he may not grab his crotch, plant a flag in an opposing field or childishly keep a list of those that he feels doesn't worship him as a god....but make no mistake, Sam is highly competitive, and if you think being #1 isn't important to Sam, you know nothing of the kid and just how competitive he is.

There is someone here, or your other site,  that lives in Southern California, L.A., that is welcome to our tailgate to meet me, and he can see exactly who and what I know.

You’re full of crap. No player will come out just because one team promises something a year before the draft. Darnold came out because he was a consensus top 5 pick.

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

You’re full of crap. No player will come out just because one team promises something a year before the draft. Darnold came out because he was a consensus top 5 pick.

You are nothing but a brash no-nothing, particularly about your opinion that resides solely in your head.

i can prove what I know, can you?  No, it's only your opinion, and a bad one.

2 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

After I posted, I read yours...you are spot on, also a factor, USC and our great rival, are tied for most #1 draft picks in CFB history. 

Sam wore a brown tie to the draft and also had bought a blue one. He had zero idea that the Browns were going to pass on him and come to find out he wasn’t even their second choice, Josh Allen was. 

You could see the look on his face...Guy was shocked when the Browns passed on him. So honestly his actions leading up until the draft as well as ON draft night really could be used as merit to what you are saying. 

You are a huge USC fan, so I’ll take your word on it rather than scrutinize it for no reason lol.

Btw, just curious, were you a Jets fan before the draft or did you come aboard when we drafted Darnold? I think it’s cool when we gain fans from different places as well as from different circumstances. Was just wondering though.

Just now, HelenOfTroy said:

You are nothing but a brash no-nothing, particularly about your opinion that resides solely in your head.

So you’re telling me Darnold was willing to risk injury and lose everything to essentially move from #3 to #1? 

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Not quite sure I understand all this "Mahomes to the HOF" talk.   Guy played one game last year, right?

Agree, but it’s wild that Andy Reid has basically put the whole franchise in Mahomes’ hands and there’s been nothing but high praise since. If dude wants to kill the Giants for taking a RB over a potential franchise QB, then he has to apply the same standards to taking a sh*tty strong safety over a potential franchise QB. And then you’re getting into comparing Adams to Barkley as prospects, which isn’t even a contest.

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Payton would of came out if Parcells promised his father to take him #1 .... do Jet fans not know this happens first hand? 

We missed out on one of the best QB’s to ever play because of this very situation.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Sam wore a brown tie to the draft and also had bought a blue one. He had zero idea that the Browns were going to pass on him and come to find out he wasn’t even their second choice, Josh Allen was. 

You could see the look on his face...Guy was shocked when the Browns passed on him. So honestly his actions leading up until the draft as well as ON draft night really could be used as merit to what you are saying. 

You are a huge USC fan, so I’ll take your word on it rather than scrutinize it for no reason lol.

Btw, just curious, were you a Jets fan before the draft or did you come aboard when we drafted Darnold? I think it’s cool when we gain fans from different places as well as from different circumstances. Was just wondering though.

I was shocked the browns and giants passed on him too. That’s irrelevant to my point.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Payton would of came out if Parcells promised his father to take him #1 .... do Jet fans not know this happens first hand? 

We missed out on one of the best QB’s to ever play because of this very situation.

This is urban legend, but carry on. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agree, but it’s wild that Andy Reid has basically put the whole franchise in Mahomes’ hands and there’s been nothing but high praise since. If dude wants to kill the Giants for taking a RB over a potential franchise QB, then he has to apply the same standards to taking a sh*tty strong safety over a potential franchise QB. And then you’re getting into comparing Adams to Barkley as prospects, which isn’t even a contest.

If Adams gets 5-6 interceptions as well as progressing his solid run support...are you finally going to stop calling the dude “sh*t”? 

Just curious.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

1. That’s 1000% speculation 

2. Peyton went back for his senior year, and rookie contracts were a different deal then