Some of you have never watched a preseason game before

shuler82

51 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Wonder what the reaction here would have been if Adams last night had 3 sacks, 1 FF and 2 INTs.

1) My god, what a beast, so glad we drafted him!

2) It's just preseason, it doesn't count

:rolleyes:

And which reaction would’ve been correct? 

Of course I’d rather see players shine right now but we all know that most of what we’re seeing in the preseason  doesn’t really point to what the games will hold when they matter.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

This is why fans are laughed at. Reading reactions to last nights game is hysterical. Hey, I think the Giants game is a MUST WIN next week!!!!

Meh, nature of the beast, I bet most fan boards are the same, regardless of the sport

Next week could get ugly, the Giants are the worst team in that division and do not like the Jets, I just want to see the Jets get out of that game heathy - would be fine if it cancelled due to weather

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

And which reaction would’ve been correct? 

Of course I’d rather see players shine right now but we all know that most of what we’re seeing right now doesn’t really point to what the season will hold when games matter.

My point is that he's being criticised for not looking like a top 6 pick, game changer, etc. How many of these guys do you really see lighting it up in preseason? It's double standards by fans - critiicse if they don't stand out, then dismiss it if they do.

7 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Okay, I did, but only in the context that the kind of plays that Jamal was making tonight we could get from someone like Miles. And, again, I haven't annointed Rontez as an All-pro. And the reason he gets more love than Adams is because he was undrafted and expectations are low. As a #6 overall pick, the bar is set significantly higher for Jamal. He'd better be making more than Miles-like plays, or he's going to be viewed as a wasted pick that high up.

I never said that we should dump Jamal. Dont know why you're making this argument with me. It's funny, my original post was about the D's performance as a whole, and yet you're making this about defending Jamal and countering arguments that I'm not making. Weird.

I was joking about the over the top criticism of Adams.  And those who think Miles is as good as Adams.  I get Miles came cheap but there's no one loving any of the UFA OL, lol.

The whole point is there was a whole lot of overreacting coming off a week two preseason game.

we all know its the preseason, but will things magically change when we the regular season starts?  Bowles will turn into a great coach and all our problems will disappear?  there is reason for some negativity (oline, pass rush etc.).  i agree it wont be as bad as you see in the preseason but i dont think by much

Yeah they played soft zone seemingly all night and the Darnold INT was a bad play call, which TB later admitted. Essentially Darnold had one read there because of the matchup

Although I wanted Darnold out because the OL sucked maybe it's good he got some hits and pressure....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, jbt said:

we all know its the preseason, but will things magically change when we the regular season starts?  Bowles will turn into a great coach and all our problems will disappear?  there is reason for some negativity (oline, pass rush etc.).  i agree it wont be as bad as you see in the preseason but i dont think by much

I think Bowles is a horrid coach but a preseason game isn’t really the time or place to unload on him.

11 hours ago, PS17 said:

I haven’t watched the preseason games because of work. All I remember is in 2010 we looked like the worst team in the league against Carolina in the preseason and JetNation was having a full-blown meltdown.

We were one of the better teams in the league that year, so I learned my lesson then. 

year if I remember correctly we went 5-0 in the kotite era preseason only to finish 1-15

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Wonder what the reaction here would have been if Adams last night had 3 sacks, 1 FF and 2 INTs.

1) My god, what a beast, so glad we drafted him!

2) It's just preseason, it doesn't count

:rolleyes:

I'm still happy we drafted him.

I think even in the 2nd game he looked decent. 

The kid has talent, you can see it in his throw and his decisions. 

But like I've been saying, I think he should take his time to develop; let him season. 

He will be great with the right amount of experience and knowledge. 

21 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Yeah they played soft zone seemingly all night and the Darnold INT was a bad play call, which TB later admitted. Essentially Darnold had one read there because of the matchup

Although I wanted Darnold out because the OL sucked maybe it's good he got some hits and pressure....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The experience is only going to help him.  He took some hits, dealt with pressure, and most importantly he came through it without injury -- in fact I think the whole team escaped without any further injury, so in that respect it was as good an outcome as you could expect in the preseason.

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

All I cared about is the fact Sam Darnold looked comfortable against an opposing team’s starters. 

Even with a bad O-line, he handled himself well, that’s my victory..not the scoreboard 

Agreed. However that’s my long term view which is still very optimistic based on Darnold. Short term however, Starting w the OL, looks like another sh*tfest. I don’t think Bowles is the guy. The D is littered w guys who overrate themsekves. 

Could change once the regular season starts but what would make me think that..

I also like the calls to cut crappy players. We have half of the 3rd preseason game and the 4th throwaway game left to play. Last thing you want it to put potential starters out with future delivery men who are trying to make a team with wild hard hitting play. The ONLY reason to cut a player today is to make room for a player you think can make the team and/or practice squad.

Honestly I think the jets need more than another year before they are ready to contend. Our defense is alright but we need a young solid corner along with a pass rusher even if he is just a situational type. We need to fix the offensive line pretty bad and I know this is not a popular thought but darnold needs weapons, our tight ends are all what if type of players where you hope they end up half decent we have no receiver who is going to consistently challenge top defensive backs and our best running back currently was so bad the browns didn't want to retain him.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

My point is that he's being criticised for not looking like a top 6 pick, game changer, etc. How many of these guys do you really see lighting it up in preseason? It's double standards by fans - critiicse if they don't stand out, then dismiss it if they do.

Jamal Adams is a glorified Eric Smith.  

12 hours ago, shuler82 said:

The over reactions here are ridiculous. Vanilla schemes from both teams on both sides of the ball. Starting two backup linemen tonight. Yeah we need a pass rusher but what else is new?

Darnold took some lumps but he has that something we haven’t seen around here since pre-injury Pennington. Teddy is proving he’s healthy and his trade value continues to rise. And Yeah...The defense is going to have to manufacture sacks but let’s not get all up in arms over a soft zone..

. I think what we saw tonight is what we all already knew - a team with some pieces who’s a year away from being a true competitor. So let’s play the kid and have some fun while we look at the $90M we have to spend for 2019

We had the 27th ranked defense last year and last night made Alex Smith throwing to scrubs look like a young Elway

But yeah “vanilla schemes”  I’m sure Bowles is about to reinvent football

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We had the 27th ranked defense last year and last night made Alex Smith throwing to scrubs look like a young Elway

But yeah “vanilla schemes”  I’m sure Bowles is about to reinvent football

And if we had seen something from Bowles’ scheme-wise over the last 3 years to be excited about, of course nobody would be deflated by last nights performance, but it’s a pretty valid precursor to quickly start lowering expectations again...for all the flames getting mad we’re overreacting off a preseason game.

Archived