All 3 QBs need to be ready to play in 4th preseason game

Maxman

On if Isaiah Crowell suffered a new injury or had a setback during the last game...

No, he didn't. He's just sore so we are holding him out.

On if he will be ready for the regular season...

Yes.

On where Steve McLendon is in his recovery...

He's in a good spot. He's working and he's making progress. We're encouraged.

On if he thinks McLendon will be ready for the season opener...

We'll see. 

On McLendon working in individual drills...

Like you said, he's working. We're working him in slowly, but we have time. We just wanted to see how he moves around.

On his philosophy of playing starters in the fourth preseason game...

I have a few people nicked up. I'll pick and choose the guys I want to play, and I'll let them know about it, probably Wednesday. Everybody is expected to play, but I will keep some people out. 

On how the preseason has changed over the years in terms of playing starters...

It has some. We're not trying to keep them from getting injured, we're just trying to get them into playing shape and make sure they get some game time. Some people have flipped those games to game two being that game and the teams that go to camp earlier don't want to run their guys in the ground. So, it's changed a little bit from that aspect. You just have to be careful and know your guys and kind of anticipate who you want in and who you want out and who needs the reps. 

On if shortening the preseason would be a detriment to his team evaluations...

I don't know if it would be a detriment, but you'd make it up somewhere else in the beginning of training camp and give us and extra week there that's fine. If everybody is on the same playing field you have to play the hand that's dealt to you. But everybody needs time to play and it's great to evaluate the guys in my opinion.

On if all three quarterbacks could play in the fourth preseason game...

All three need to be ready to play, and I'll let them know who's playing and who's not playing, if any are not playing when I get to it.

On if the starting quarterback that he has in mind for the season will sit out the fourth preseason game...

You want me to answer that right? (laughter) Come on now.

On why he is open to playing starters in the fourth preseason game and if he feels it gives him an advantage heading into Week One...

No, it's just a matter of working on things. Sometimes you just feel like you need to work on things against a different team. It has nothing to do with an advantage or a disadvantage. If you feel like your guys haven't gelled yet or certain guys need to play together with a few guys out, you kind of put them out there and let them play a little bit.

On if he expects the starters to play a few possessions...

I said I would make that determination in the next two days and I said I would hold some people out. I didn't say everybody was playing, but that will be at my discretion.

On if Kelvin Beachum will play the fourth preseason game…

That will be at my discretion. I'll see who needs to play or not play.

On how good it was for Terrelle Pryor to score a touchdown last game…

I think it was just good for him to play. I didn't really care about the touchdown. It's good for him to get game reps since he's been out for so long. So to have him come in finally and play in his first preseason game after a year off was important for him to get him game-time speed. The catch was just a bonus. 

On his expectations for Robby Anderson after Anderson established himself last year...

Our expectations are no different. Obviously, he produced the last two years. We look for him to just keep getting better and better. He works hard every day. His name doesn't come up in the preseason because we are doing a lot of different things, but we see the same Robby we saw a year ago. So, our expectations are high for him.

On how he keeps undrafted free agents from putting too much pressure on themselves in the last preseason game...

Well you don't. It's a pressure game. You have to play. You perform in games, so this is their time to perform. Some apply pressure, some feel pressure. We'll see which one. 

On if spots at tight end and outside linebacker are still available going into the last preseason game...

There's a few spots up for grabs. I don't want to say top spots, but there are spots up for grabs.

On if he knows the starter at tight end and outside linebacker...

I have a good idea, yeah.

On how he feels about the team heading into the season...

You always feel good because you haven't played a game yet. From a chemistry standpoint, I feel very good, but we've got some ways to go before we get to the opener and before we get settled in to who we are. We've just got to keep our heads down and keep working, but I like the team.

On if he sees a similar makeup in this team compared to playoff teams he's been a part of in the past...

I see chemistry. Obviously, you have to play to prove yourself, but I see chemistry and that's all you can see so far is on-field chemistry. You've got to play in games to create your identity and that kind of reputation. So that remains to be seen, but I'm encouraged by what I see. 

On how he keeps undrafted free agents from putting too much pressure on themselves in the last preseason game...

Well you don't. It's a pressure game. You have to play. You perform in games, so this is their time to perform. Some apply pressure, some feel pressure. We'll see which one. 

Kudos to Bowles on this one.  I like that answer.  This isn't a cupcake business, how players respond to pressure is an important part of the evaluation process.

All three need to be ready to play, and I'll let them know who's playing and who's not playing, if any are not playing when I get to it.

On if the starting quarterback that he has in mind for the season will sit out the fourth preseason game...

Everything I hate about the modern NFL, in a nutshell.

Like it's a national security secret ffs.  Hell, national security secrets are leaked far more easily that this, lol.

It's not rocket science and it's not a competitive advantage opening day.  So much hot air.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

On if Isaiah Crowell suffered a new injury or had a setback during the last game...

No, he didn't. He's just sore so we are holding him out.

On if he will be ready for the regular season...

Yes.

On where Steve McLendon is in his recovery...

He's in a good spot. He's working and he's making progress. We're encouraged.

On if he thinks McLendon will be ready for the season opener...

We'll see. 

On McLendon working in individual drills...

Like you said, he's working. We're working him in slowly, but we have time. We just wanted to see how he moves around.

On his philosophy of playing starters in the fourth preseason game...

I have a few people nicked up. I'll pick and choose the guys I want to play, and I'll let them know about it, probably Wednesday. Everybody is expected to play, but I will keep some people out. 

On how the preseason has changed over the years in terms of playing starters...

It has some. We're not trying to keep them from getting injured, we're just trying to get them into playing shape and make sure they get some game time. Some people have flipped those games to game two being that game and the teams that go to camp earlier don't want to run their guys in the ground. So, it's changed a little bit from that aspect. You just have to be careful and know your guys and kind of anticipate who you want in and who you want out and who needs the reps. 

On if shortening the preseason would be a detriment to his team evaluations...

I don't know if it would be a detriment, but you'd make it up somewhere else in the beginning of training camp and give us and extra week there that's fine. If everybody is on the same playing field you have to play the hand that's dealt to you. But everybody needs time to play and it's great to evaluate the guys in my opinion.

On why he is open to playing starters in the fourth preseason game and if he feels it gives him an advantage heading into Week One...

No, it's just a matter of working on things. Sometimes you just feel like you need to work on things against a different team. It has nothing to do with an advantage or a disadvantage. If you feel like your guys haven't gelled yet or certain guys need to play together with a few guys out, you kind of put them out there and let them play a little bit.

On if he expects the starters to play a few possessions...

I said I would make that determination in the next two days and I said I would hold some people out. I didn't say everybody was playing, but that will be at my discretion.

On if Kelvin Beachum will play the fourth preseason game…

That will be at my discretion. I'll see who needs to play or not play.

On how good it was for Terrelle Pryor to score a touchdown last game…

I think it was just good for him to play. I didn't really care about the touchdown. It's good for him to get game reps since he's been out for so long. So to have him come in finally and play in his first preseason game after a year off was important for him to get him game-time speed. The catch was just a bonus. 

On his expectations for Robby Anderson after Anderson established himself last year...

Our expectations are no different. Obviously, he produced the last two years. We look for him to just keep getting better and better. He works hard every day. His name doesn't come up in the preseason because we are doing a lot of different things, but we see the same Robby we saw a year ago. So, our expectations are high for him.

On if spots at tight end and outside linebacker are still available going into the last preseason game...

There's a few spots up for grabs. I don't want to say top spots, but there are spots up for grabs.

On if he knows the starter at tight end and outside linebacker...

I have a good idea, yeah.

On how he feels about the team heading into the season...

You always feel good because you haven't played a game yet. From a chemistry standpoint, I feel very good, but we've got some ways to go before we get to the opener and before we get settled in to who we are. We've just got to keep our heads down and keep working, but I like the team.

On if he sees a similar makeup in this team compared to playoff teams he's been a part of in the past...

I see chemistry. Obviously, you have to play to prove yourself, but I see chemistry and that's all you can see so far is on-field chemistry. You've got to play in games to create your identity and that kind of reputation. So that remains to be seen, but I'm encouraged by what I see. 

On listening to Todd Bowles speak

15072836704399222574.jpg

Archived