Leonard Williams is flirting with busthood

sirlancemehlot

17 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He would be extremely valuable if you have a true edge rusher to compliment him with.  Since there isn’t, Williams sees constant double teams.  

All Dlineman see double teams and Williams doesn't see more than our other lineman. It's not like the other team is gameplanning for him. Just watch the tape.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the loss of a space-eating NT has had a negative effect. They replaced Snacks with a penetrator and that changes the dynamic of DL play. But I believe that the DE position in a 3-4 is a more of a react position anyway. I do think Jets fans have long overrated his ability and production and are now angry because he hasn't reached the heights that his play has never really warranted.

Now, about Johnson: He's a quality guy. He hasn't played up to his potential, but guys are going to get beat when left in man coverage repeatedly. This is the NFL, there is no more Revis Island. All in all, the Jets defense hasn't been the reason the Jets have lost the two games they did.

It's been the Jets offense, which always goes into hibernation after a two-score lead, which has let the team down. I mean, the one 'trick' play they ran was an end-around to Anderson for -2 yards. The number of play-action passes? I remember one and that one wasn't so great (pick six). I remember ONE deep ball completed and two attempted, one at the very end of the game.

I'm not putting that on Darnold. I'm putting it on an offensive offensive philosophy that is so risk-averse and predictable that it will never be a dependable one. The offense I saw the last two games is a virtual clone of the ones I've been treated to for 8 years: dink and dunk, run-heavy, rarely tricky, conservative. It's not going to be better than that if they don't abandon this philosophy.

20 minutes ago, RobR said:

All Dlineman see double teams and Williams doesn't see more than our other lineman. It's not like the other team is gameplanning for him. Just watch the tape.

LOL.  All d linemen to not see double teams. Every O designs plays to work with one blocker for one man. Show me the base schematic for any play design that calls for a double team on a generic defender. It is when you have adjust to dedicate two blockers to one man that the numbers start favoring the D. The more D players you have that can not be blocked by one man, the better your D is.

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

LOL.  All d linemen to not see double teams. Every O designs plays to work with one blocker for one man. Show me the base schematic for any play design that calls for a double team on a generic defender. It is when you have adjust to dedicate two blockers to one man that the numbers start favoring the D. The more D players you have that can not be blocked by one man, the better your D is.

There is a lot of wrong with this post. First of all you have too see how the Dline lines up over the Oline. Second is that Leo is not specifically a 5tech which many would want you to believe, He lines up all over the line, from right over the nose to outside of the Tackle. The closer you are into the center the greater chance you are going to get double teamed unless they keep a TE in to block.

Like I said, WATCH THE TAPE. Anderson gets doubled, McClendon gets doubled, they all do at some point. Saying that Leo is constantly drawing double teams is false.....and when he does he's not very good at defeating it. 

43 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

When you draft a guy at that position at 6, you want aron donald, jk watt, warren sapp type production.

Williams is a JAG.  Hes an absolute bust for the 6th pick in the draft

The sixth pick has the greatest bust ratio, I believe, of the top picks.

If I draft a 3-4 DE I expect a talented guy, who may or may not be a high producer, based on the talent around him and scheme he comes into. I expect him to play to his potential in the scheme and circumstances he's in.
Williams is not a bust because he's a starter and plays pretty well. He's had a lot of changes on the DL and talent deterioration around him. I don't care who you are, if you have ONE above-average DL out of three and virtually no edge rush, I'm not expecting Mark Gastineau sack production. And, let's face it, Williams is no Joe Klecko.

39 minutes ago, RobR said:

There is a lot of wrong with this post. First of all you have too see how the Dline lines up over the Oline. Second is that Leo is not specifically a 5tech which many would want you to believe, He lines up all over the line, from right over the nose to outside of the Tackle. The closer you are into the center the greater chance you are going to get double teamed unless they keep a TE in to block.

Like I said, WATCH THE TAPE. Anderson gets doubled, McClendon gets doubled, they all do at some point. Saying that Leo is constantly drawing double teams is false.....and when he does he's not very good at defeating it. 

I a have re-watched the game. Williams is doubled far more than any other player on the Jets line. Most of Williams doubles look like by design i.e. the second blocker makes goes at Williams without hesitation, while when the other guys end up being doubled, it looks like a second blocker is looking for something to do rather than doubling by design.

17 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I a have re-watched the game. Williams is doubled far more than any other player on the Jets line. Most of Williams doubles look like by design i.e. the second blocker makes goes at Williams without hesitation, while when the other guys end up being doubled, it looks like a second blocker is looking for something to do rather than doubling by design.

Leo gets doubled and it's by design, someone else gets doubled and its happenstance. Got it.

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I looked for Nathan Shepherd on the field on Thursday I can remember him being involved on one play. He has two starts but his stats are low, http://www.nfl.com/player/nathanshepherd/2560873/profile. There could be reasons for it and he might be more effective than I think. I could not find a stat with minutes played. 

All 4-5 rotational DL have played good against the run minus 3-4 gaffes a game. I never rewound any of the pops so I’m not sure who to blame. That last drive when they had the Browns pinned at like the 5 and They let Hyde pop for 10-12 on first down was disgusting though. 

22 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This is patently false. I coached football, oline and linebackers for a decade. Double teaming interior defensive lineman at the point of attack on iso, dive and power is standard regardless of personnel. The chum block even has the backside blocker set the double then slide to to the linebacker. Football 101.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:44 PM, detectivekimble said:

Funny thing is that Lee could probably kick your ass in 30 seconds or less.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:51 PM, BigO said:

And I can kick yours in less than 3. But who’s counting.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:00 PM, detectivekimble said:

Doubtful.  Internet tough guy.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:03 PM, BigO said:

Believe it moronic internet azzhole. 

On 9/21/2018 at 10:17 PM, detectivekimble said:

You're probably out of shape, middle aged loser.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:19 PM, BigO said:

Suck my middle age balls. 

On 9/21/2018 at 10:23 PM, detectivekimble said:

Probably couldn't find them.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:32 PM, BigO said:

Didn’t mean to offend Daron Lee. What are you his girlfriend?

i'm not entirely sure what this is but i'm having a hard time moving on

On 9/21/2018 at 7:54 AM, Bugg said:

Recall Mangini was not wedded to 3-4 nor 4-3, changed it up every week depending on matchups. And that Rex Ryan moved defenders around to try to get mismatches and avoid getting defenders doubled. Alas, Todd Bowles' idea is to run his defense under every circumstance and never move Williams around. Now he may very well be underachieving. But don't trust Bowles with a coffee order. For a coach that pretends to be some defensive genius, looks really lazy and braindead. 

This is very true.  Never was this more evident than halftime of the Browns game.  The reporter asked Bowles how his strategy on defense will change now the Mayfield is in and his answer was "It wont. We run the same defense regardless of who we're playing" (or something close to that quote). Pathetic. 

This is so much worse that Schitty and his choreographed first 10-15 plays regardless of what the opposing defense was doing. 

Bowles doesn't know how to make any adjustments other than adjusting his belt after meals.  Just stands there with the same stupid look on his face all the time.

Archived