Darnold in a walking boot. Not practicing.

Joe W. Namath

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Statistically, before he was "hurt" this week, he was on pace to demolish Peyton Mannings record for INTs by a rookie QBDifference was, Peyton finished top of the league in yards and yards per attempt.  Sam doesn't come close to those statistics.

He's on track for 25 picks by the end of the season, Peyton had 28. That's not even breaking the record, let alone "Demolishing" it. 

Also currently Sam has a higher Y/A than Manning did his rookie season (6.7 as opposed to 6.5). 

I don't know where you're getting these stats from, but they're wrong dude. Also a reminder that Manning was older and had more experience coming into the league.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Statistically, before he was "hurt" this week, he was on pace to demolish Peyton Mannings record for INTs by a rookie QB.  Difference was, Peyton finished top of the league in yards and yards per attempt.  Sam doesn't come close to those statistics.

He's right in line with Gabbert and Bortles with INT totals that will likely reach Kizer levels.  

Considering that I've followed the kid since high school along with Rosen, you don't really get to "declare" anything when it comes to me, because there isn't a person on this board who will be more personally dejected if I end up being right about him.  I was one of those people championing the kid pre-draft.  This isn't anything like what I expected out of a kid that earned a grade close to that of Andrew Luck, and I'm willing to bet that many of the others who gave him a similar grade feel the same way.

Well, he bested Andrew luck & that's pretty good for a 21 year old man child. Teams are similar. Like Journey says, "don't give up". 

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Statistically, before he was "hurt" this week, he was on pace to demolish Peyton Mannings record for INTs by a rookie QB.  Difference was, Peyton finished top of the league in yards and yards per attempt.  Sam doesn't come close to those statistics.

He's right in line with Gabbert and Bortles with INT totals that will likely reach Kizer levels.  His "best case" year scenario is a Jameis Winston-like one.

Considering that I've followed the kid since high school along with Rosen, you don't really get to "declare" anything when it comes to me, because there isn't a person on this board who will be more personally dejected if I end up being right about him in this specific "my miserable venting session of the week".  I was one of those people championing Sam pre-draft.  This isn't anything like what I expected out of a kid that earned a grade close to that of Andrew Luck, and I'm willing to bet that many of the others who gave him a similar grade feel the same way.

Personally Im glad the Darnold era is over.

Just now, Grandy said:

He's on track for 25 picks by the end of the season, Peyton had 28. That's not even breaking the record, let alone "Demolishing" it. 

Also currently Sam has a higher Y/A than Manning did his rookie season (6.7 as opposed to 6.5). 

I don't know where you're getting these stats from, but they're wrong dude.

He's going to, likely, miss 2 games.  When you look at current projections, that is factored in now. 

He, likely won't hit the TD totals or come remotely close to the yardage totals Manning did.  

Manning got "better" as the year went on.  Sam has regressed.

Again, more QBs that have totals similar to all of these end up like busts, not an "all timer".

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Well, he bested Andrew luck & that's pretty good for a 21 year old man child. Teams are similar. Like Journey says, "don't give up". 

1.  Andrew Luck faced our defense, not his own.

2.  Luck is the perfect example of "ruined" talent.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

He's going to, likely, miss 2 games.  When you look at current projections, that is factored in now. 

Uhhh that's not how projections work, but anyway some math would solve the problem. 

Sam has 14 picks in 9 games, 14 divided by 9 is 1.55 so that would be his game average.

1.55x16 equals about 24.8, rounding to 25 in this case for a full season.

28>25

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Uhhh that's not how projections work, but anyway some math would solve the problem. 

Sam has 14 picks in 9 games, 14 divided by 9 is 1.55 so that would be his game average.

1.55x16 equals about 24.8, rounding to 25 in this case for a full season.

28>25

So how do you factor in regression, which you conveniently glided over.

He just threw 4 picks against the 27th ranked Miami defense.  New England is notoriously good against rookie QBs.  He'll get Buffalo, in Buffalo.  Tennessee has a nasty defense.  Houstons pass rush is going to eat him alive.  Now that we can add all that to the fact that he's playing worse than the start of the year, what can we deduce from that?

On 11/8/2018 at 7:41 PM, Butterfield said:

I am not rooting for the jets to lose this weekend.  I am rooting for them to get destroyed.  Bad enough that Bowles doesn’t make it past the bye week.

I am so with you on this. Bowles is somehow hoping that McCown rings the bell to show how difficult Bowles has had it with a rookie QB. God I hope the Bills & McDermott outcoach Bowles at every turn & expose him for the absolute loser he is. The Bills have been stripped down to their underwear & every decent team has literally crushed them after that caught the unsuspecting Vikings off guard with the athletically talented Josh Allen hurdling defenders. 

I want no mercy for Todd Bowles, he is the most arrogant prick Head Coach I've ever seen based on his horrible track record so far. He needs to be put in his place! 

34 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He's right in line with Gabbert and Bortles with INT totals that will likely reach Kizer levels.  His "best case" year scenario is a Jameis Winston-like one.

Considering that I've followed the kid since high school along with Rosen, you don't really get to "declare" anything when it comes to me, because there isn't a person on this board who will be more personally dejected if I end up being right about him in this specific "my miserable venting session of the week".  I was one of those people championing Sam pre-draft.  This isn't anything like what I expected out of a kid that earned a grade close to that of Andrew Luck, and I'm willing to bet that many of the others who gave him a similar grade feel the same way.

Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk,

32 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Same grade as Luck, by what metric?

15 minutes ago, CTM said:

Same grade as Luck, by what metric?

You can do the homework yourself and see plenty of draft analysts put it out there that he was the best QB prospect they've seen in a long time and that he belongs in that conversation in terms of draft talent.

44 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So how do you factor in regression, which you conveniently glided over.

He just threw 4 picks against the 27th ranked Miami defense.  New England is notoriously good against rookie QBs.  He'll get Buffalo, in Buffalo.  Tennessee has a nasty defense.  Houstons pass rush is going to eat him alive.  Now that we can add all that to the fact that he's playing worse than the start of the year, what can we deduce from that?

And he threw no picks the week before. Two of his picks were on desperation 4th down attempts. At least 5 of his picks this year were not his fault. Real “regression” says that he’ll the benefit of bounces the second half and throw fewer picks.... what a crock of sh*t 

17 minutes ago, nico002 said:

And he threw no picks the week before. Two of his picks were on desperation 4th down attempts. At least 5 of his picks this year were not his fault. Real “regression” says that he’ll not get unlucky bounces kntbe second half and throw fewer picks.... what a crock of sh*t 

This all sounds great, and in that kumbayah world you're living in, I'm sure you believe it. But you conveniently forget the 2 dropped ints last Sunday. They would've given him 6 picks, and who knows how many others were dropped during the season. Look, I agree 100% the kid doesn't have any elite players on O helping him. The C is hurt, the coaching sucks, and blah blah. I'm on board with giving Sam time to develop, but I shake my head when people say he's played well, because he hasn't. He's going backwards. I shake my head again when people say "I've seen enough to know Sam will be great''. What exactly have they seen that I haven't? I think a lot of us have been watching Sam with our hearts, not our eyes. Right now a two week break is the best thing that could happen to him. He needs to clear his head and regroup.

18 minutes ago, nico002 said:

And he threw no picks the week before. Two of his picks were on desperation 4th down attempts. At least 5 of his picks this year were not his fault. Real “regression” says that he’ll the benefit of bounces the second half and throw fewer picks.... what a crock of sh*t 

You're right.   Sam didn't actually throw 4 picks last week.

Sam didn't throw any picks when you think about it.  Nothing is his fault.  It's everyone else, y'know, until it isn't.  Remember when Mark Sanchez's dropped INTs didn't matter?  I tried to play the same game last week.  How about the 5 million INTs that he should have thrown against Jax, since we're playing this game?  How about the 2 others dropped last week?  Or do phantom "numbers" that benefit our arguments only apply to the "everything is fine" crowd?

You've spent the last week telling us that he played fine against Minnesota and in every bad game minus last week, and that we're all just being reactionary. Give it up.  

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This all sounds great, and in that kumbayah world you're living in, I'm sure you believe it. But you conveniently forget the 2 dropped ints last Sunday. They would've given him 6 picks, and who knows how many others were dropped during the season. Look, I agree 100% the kid doesn't have any elite players on O helping him. The C is hurt, the coaching sucks, and blah blah. I'm on board with giving Sam time to develop, but I shake my head when people say he's played well, because he hasn't. He's going backwards. I shake my head again when people say "I've seen enough to know Sam will be great''. What exactly have they seen that I haven't? I think a lot of us have been watching Sam with our hearts, not our eyes. Right now a two week break is the best thing that could happen to him. He needs to clear his head and regroup.

Honest question- did you think he went backwards against the Bears?

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You're right.   Sam didn't actually throw 4 picks last week.

Sam didn't throw any picks when you think about it.  Nothing is his fault.  It's everyone else, y'know, until it isn't.  Remember when Mark Sanchez's dropped INTs didn't matter?  I tried to play the same game last week.  How about the 5 million INTs that he should have thrown against Jax, since we're playing this game?  Or do phantom "numbers" that benefit our arguments only apply to the "everything is fine" crowd?

You've spent the last week telling us that he played fine against Minnesota and that we're all just being reactionary. Give it up.  

He did play fine against Minnesota. Not sure what you expect.

Mark Sanchez Never showed the instinctual feel for the game that darnold does. He was flat out a lower tier talent. He also is an enigma of a player in the sense that he did enough to probably earn a longer tenure in this leuage than he did... 

Sam has not played well the last few games. Once again, he’s a 21 year old rookie and has 9 games under his belt. How do you expect him to play? He is going to have ups and downs throughout the season. Take a look at Peyton Manning, Troy aikman and some other well know qb rookie years. There’s stats and win totals are not good. They had great careers.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 minutes ago, nico002 said:

He did play fine against Minnesota. Not sure what you expect.

Mark Sanchez Never showed the instinctual feel for the game that darnold does. He was flat out a lower tier talent. He also is an enigma of a player in the sense that he did enough to probably earn a longer tenure in this leuage than he did... 

He played like f*cking sh*t against Minnesota, along with the rest of the offense.  He was a major reason as to why they couldn't move the ball.

What "instinctual feel" are you talking about?  The instinctual feel to throw to a WR in quadruple coverage, eventually being picked off by MLBer that he was in a staring contest with?

He's no better than Mark right now.  Statistically, he is right there with him.  It's up to him to prove me and the data history wrong.  I'm not gonna get my hopes up and say that he bucks that trend.  I did with two guys before him and I'm not doing it again.  If he is the exception?  Cool.  Great.  

Let’s get something straight here. I’ve never said Darnold has done no wrong or been amazing.

But I did have the proper expectations when starting a 21 year old QB on a team with bottom 5 talent offensively. It was going to be a rough ride. There were going to be ups and downs. I never had expectations of more than 6 wins this year Sam has shown everything that I hope he would this year. Play making ability, feel for pressure, ability to extend plays and keep eyes down field, elite ball placement and anticipation throwing.

Hes made some bad mistakes- all rookies do. But I think we are exaggerating the downward trend of season. He had two very good games against Den and Ind. Then had a C game against a top D in tough conditions. Against the Bears be protected the ball and made some big plays- with literally no one to throw to... against the dolphins he has a bad game... but you can’t deny two of his ints were in situations where an int was actually better the an incompletion.... and had 15 bad snaps. Again, not sure what some of you expected.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

He played like f*cking sh*t against Minnesota, along with the rest of the offense.  He was a major reason as to why they couldn't move the ball.

What "instinctual feel" are you talking about?  The instinctual feel to throw to a WR in quadruple coverage, eventually being picked off by MLBer that he was in a staring contest with?

He's no better than Mark right now.  Statistically, he right there with him.  It's up to him to prove me and the data trends wrong.

Mark Sanchez never threw a receiver open in his life and was an incredibly innacurate thrower of the ball even on short passes. He was a one read QB that held the ball too long and took too many sacks. Darnold throws balls where is receiver is going to be, goes through reads, and can extend plays while looking downfield. 

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Let’s get something straight here. I’ve never said Darnold has done no wrong or been amazing.

But I did have the proper expectations when starting a 21 year old QB on a team with bottom 5 talent offensively. It was going to be a rough ride. There were going to be ups and downs. I never had expectations of more than 6 wins this year Sam has shown everything that I hope he would this year. Play making ability, feel for pressure, ability to extend plays and keep eyes down field, elite ball placement and anticipation throwing.

Hes made some bad mistakes- all rookies do. But I think we are exaggerating the downward trend of season. He had two very good games against Den and Ind. Then had a C game against a top D in tough conditions. Against the Bears be protected the ball and made some big plays- with literally no one to throw to... against the dolphins he has a bad game... but you can’t deny two of his ints were in situations where an int was actually better the an incompletion.... and had 15 bad snaps. Again, not sure what some of you expected.

TL'DR

He played well against reeeeally bad defenses, had an imaginary "good" game against a Super Bowl contender, an  extremely mediocre game against a really good defense, and an absolute nightmare of a game against a bottom 10 defense.  But its ok!  He was playing 4-D chess and 2 of his picks don't count because they were technically better than an incompletion.

58 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You can do the homework yourself and see plenty of draft analysts put it out there that he was the best QB prospect they've seen in a long time and that he belongs in that conversation in terms of draft talent.

Yet,  not drafted #1 somehow.. qbase had him as more likely to bust than anything else with Mayfield as the predictive winner by a large margin. (Rosen also superior, darnold closest to Mason rudolph)

Had Darnold followed up the frosh year with a better soph year than yes luck level prospect, but he didnt, he was as turnover machine  and a 2/3 rd prospect 

Who gives a sh*t what ninecompoops like mel kiper vomit

2 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Peyton Manning rookie year:
56.7 completion % TD26 INT 28
3-13

Troy aikman:
52.9 completion%. 9 TD INT 18
0 WINS

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

An all time Hall of Fame QB who is the exception to the rule,  and a guy who played football in an entirely different era with one of the most loaded teams of all time.

Totally repeatable.

Just now, Mogglez said:

TL'DR

He played well against reeeeally bad defenses, had an imaginary "good" game against a Super Bowl contender, an  extremely mediocre game against a really good defense, and an absolute nightmare of a game against a bottom 10 defense.  But its ok!  He was playing 4-D chess and 2 of his picks don't count because they were technically better than an incompletion.

Sorry but your post is incomprehensible 

38 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Honest question- did you think he went backwards against the Bears?

I'm being 100% serious here. I don't think the CS, for whatever reason, had absolutely no confidence that he and that team the Jets they put out there could compete that day against the Bears. It was as close to a NFL team throwing in the towel as I have ever seen. Sam did nothing to prove them wrong. He's looked lost out there against Miami 2x, the home opener was as bad as last Sunday. He hurt us more then he helped with that horrible 1st half. The Vikings and Jags games were also horrible. Lions, Broncos and Colts he was really good. Cleveland, he was like the rest of the Jets. He sat around and watched Baker put on a show, but he did give us a lead late in the 4th with a FG drive, so I'll say he played well that night.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:13 PM, CTM said:

Yet,  not drafted #1 somehow.. qbase had him as more likely to bust than anything else with Mayfield as the predictive winner by a large margin. (Rosen also superior, darnold closest to Mason rudolph)

Had Darnold followed up the frosh year with a better soph year than yes luck level prospect, but he didnt, he was as turnover machine  and a 2/3 td prospect 

Who gives a sh*t what ninecompoops like mel kiper vomit

*Edit*

This post was too angry and unbecoming.  Scrubbing it.  Sorry everyone.

Archived