ESPN-NYJ 73% chance at Top 5 pick?

GreenWhite

I double dip at pass rusher in FA, Fowler/Clowney/Lawrence/Barr/Ray/Ford. I'd then look around the league and see who could be up for grabs that either wants more money or is on a bad contract. Julio Jones is a player I would inquire about, not sure what it would take but he'll be 30 and have 2 years left on his deal that he held out on this past offseason. With Ridley in the fold there and only $14M in cap space after signing their draft class he could be on the move.

Then take LT at the top of the draft, if we could trade down and still get a LT then gravy. I'd use our 2 thirds on center and guard. Give this line and influx of players. I'd plan to use Shell or Beachum as a guard in this scenario assuming the draft picks play day 1.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Said this before, but I’d try and trade down twice.  One quick flip for a QB hungry team and then again into the teens.  We already have the one player who if all works out, can make a huge difference.  No other player is going to do that, outside of maybe pass rusher.  We need to support the QB now with about a half a dozen guys.

The problem is that this QB class is dreadful.  If Herbert stays at Oregon you may not see a QB go top 10.  

5 minutes ago, genot said:

I want the jets to trade down. Draft Jachai Polite in the 1st. Then maneuver to get Dalton Risner and Max sharp[ing. Risner at left guard. Sharping at tackle. Sign Matt paradis and shaq lawson in free agency. That's my dream offseason.

I'd love them to be able to solidify this Oline! They have plenty of money for offense, they could sign Bell & Tyrell Wiiliams, reup Quincy & completely revamp their offensive power & surround Sam for success.

Call me crazy, but I hope for a world where the Jets are regularly picking in the mid to late 20's in the draft, and waiting to see what really good player fall to us, and not salivating over some 70% nonsense of picking in the top 5. But that's just me.

Crazy. Why mid to late 20s regularly? I want in the 30’s or top 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, genot said:

I want the jets to trade down. Draft Jachai Polite in the 1st. Then maneuver to get Dalton Risner and Max sharp[ing. Risner at left guard. Sharping at tackle. Sign Matt paradis and shaq lawson in free agency. That's my dream offseason.

Scharping is interesting.  The Senior Bowl will be huge for him.  He looks more like a LG in the NFL though.  IMO, you need to draft a better LT prospect than the two you listed.  

23 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That's what I'm afraid of. Nick Bosa or Allen sitting there & we take Jonah Williams because he's the best of an average group of LTs. 

That shouldn’t happen. If Bosa or Allen are there, we have ZERO excuse not to trade down and get extra picks in rounds 1,2,3. We NEVER trade down and literally need a whole o line. Will will find a mid grade pass rusher in free agency as that’s one of the few positions where players will be available.

As tempting as it is to get the “missing piece” on defense, our defense has proven more than capable already when they are motivated. The FA pass rusher will make an impact anyways. Our offense/Oline is a COMPLETE DISASTER and singlehandedly ruining this team and hurting our defense. We have to fix it and draft at least 2 o-lineman in rounds 1-3. 

20 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The problem is that this QB class is dreadful.  If Herbert stays at Oregon you may not see a QB go top 10.  

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don’t have an answer to this, but when was the last time a QB didn’t go top 10?

Actually more recent than I’d have guessed. 2013 when EJ Manuel went 16 and we took Geno.  That was a bad QB draft.

I figured I’d look to 2000, and 2000 is the next time, with one James Chadwick Pennington!

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Actually more recent than I’d have guessed. 2013 when EJ Manuel went 16 and we took Geno.  That was a bad QB draft.

I figured I’d look to 2000, and 2000 is the next time, with one James Chadwick Pennington!

What is going to be funny to watch is Gettleman and the Giants justify the drafting of a QB in the top 5 when last year they took a RB at 2 with 4 very good QB prospects on the board.  All we heard from Gettleman was that Barkley is a HOF back and none of the other QBs warranted the second overall pick.  Have fun selling Drew Lock as a top 5 pick.  Has any first year GM had a worse year than Gettleman?   From being arrogant about selecting Barkley to all his bulls**t talk about his “hog mollies” he signed and drafted.  Guy has been an absolute disaster thus far.  

21 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Depends on how the board falls....and even before that how the board stacks up....staying put and drafting a blue chip OL/WR/EDGE makes sense....trading down with a QB needy team to recoup a 2 and more could also make sense....

True.  Plus if there is a new coach and they switch to a 4-3, then that changes the type of DEs you are looking at, and god forbid brings in a DT as a possible selection.  

My hope is a trade down, being able to get into the second round would be nice.  Lots of potential talent going to be there.  

43 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'd love them to be able to solidify this Oline! They have plenty of money for offense, they could sign Bell & Tyrell Wiiliams, reup Quincy & completely revamp their offensive power & surround Sam for success.

Without question. Can we get those players to sign with us??????

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

True.  Plus if there is a new coach and they switch to a 4-3, then that changes the type of DEs you are looking at, and god forbid brings in a DT as a possible selection.  

My hope is a trade down, being able to get into the second round would be nice.  Lots of potential talent going to be there.  

Yea I agree....it kinda sucks being in the top 5 in a year where it doesn’t seem like there will be a top flight playmaker or a blue chip OL available though...

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How many slots would we have to trade down, in order top get a 2nd round pick back. i know all drafts are different. But generally.

1 minute ago, genot said:

How many slots would we have to trade down, in order top get a 2nd round pick back. i know all drafts are different. But generally.

Let’s say they are at 5.  Then they would have to drop to around 12 or so.  All depends on who may be sitting there and how bad that team wants him.  

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Let’s say they are at 5.  Then they would have to drop to around 12 or so.  All depends on who may be sitting there and how bad that team wants him.  

If the jets knew that their trading partner wanted Jonah Williams, would you do it?

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

We need a left tacke. Period.  There are no answers in FA.  I don't want to be the Giants, taking a million years to address the line.   Get this QB what needs.  WR in the 2nd , if there is value.  Pass rush in FA

2nd?

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Said this before, but I’d try and trade down twice.  One quick flip for a QB hungry team and then again into the teens.  We already have the one player who if all works out, can make a huge difference.  No other player is going to do that, outside of maybe pass rusher.  We need to support the QB now with about a half a dozen guys.

No doubt. We're still far away from the draft so it's hard to know what the board will look like (and how much various QBs rise) but we have enough needs that moving down and acquiring more picks is the smartest move.

My fear is that it's a weak QB draft and most of the bad teams, (Jets, Bills, Cardinals, 49ers) have their guy and it's harder to get teams to move up for DTs than QBs.

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Sure.  I want the picks.  If you commit to the trade down, then you have to live with another team getting a good player in your spot.  

I agree. I think they'll be Tackles available, with alot of upside, some who might be as effective as williams. If they don't bust. Here we go again. Gotta be a little lucky

51 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Scharping is interesting.  The Senior Bowl will be huge for him.  He looks more like a LG in the NFL though.  IMO, you need to draft a better LT prospect than the two you listed.  

6'6" 320. Good size for a LT. Has near perfect grades in pass protection. Question is, of course the level of competition

Just now, genot said:

I agree. I think they'll be Tackles available, with alot of upside, some who might be as effective as williams. If they don't bust. Here we go again. Gotta be a little lucky

The draft is 6 months away, so much will change between now and then but I think there will be a handful of OTs worth taking in the first.  As of now there doesn’t appear to be a huge separation between then.   Free agency always changes the way we look at the first round as well.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

The draft is 6 months away, so much will change between now and then but I think there will be a handful of OTs worth taking in the first.  As of now there doesn’t appear to be a huge separation between then.   Free agency always changes the way we look at the first round as well.  

I agree about the separation point. that's spot on.Kinda exited about the prospects of us being able to fix our issues rather quickly This is the year alot of the players in a position of need will be available. In the draft and free agency. Of course, like you said, that can change

I agree about the separation point. that's spot on.Kinda exited about the prospects of us being able to fix our issues rather quickly This is the year alot of the players in a position of need will be available. In the draft and free agency. Of course, like you said, that can change

WRs, some very nice WRs will be available.  O linemen and weapons are what I’m drafting in the first 4 rounds.  

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

WRs, some very nice WRs will be available.  O linemen and weapons are what I’m drafting in the first 4 rounds.  

First difference of opinion this morning. I would trade down and draft the guy from Florida, Polite. He's a cheetah of the line. Every other pick in the draft is offense Priority being o-line.

First difference of opinion this morning. I would trade down and draft the guy from Florida, Polite. He's a cheetah of the line. Every other pick in the draft is offense Priority being o-line.

He is. But my feeling is they address edge in FA.  I get the need for a guy like Polite, but the much more glaring need is the offense.  You can’t keep waiting till the 3rd round and later to get some playmakers.   

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

That shouldn’t happen. If Bosa or Allen are there, we have ZERO excuse not to trade down and get extra picks in rounds 1,2,3. We NEVER trade down and literally need a whole o line. Will will find a mid grade pass rusher in free agency as that’s one of the few positions where players will be available.

As tempting as it is to get the “missing piece” on defense, our defense has proven more than capable already when they are motivated. The FA pass rusher will make an impact anyways. Our offense/Oline is a COMPLETE DISASTER and singlehandedly ruining this team and hurting our defense. We have to fix it and draft at least 2 o-lineman in rounds 1-3. 

Way too many excuses for this defense. Vikings, Bills, just rolled them on their 1st drives. We need a pass rusher badly. If Bosa is there you take him. Use free agency & your 2 threes for Oline. 

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Way too many excuses for this defense. Vikings, Bills, just rolled them on their 1st drives. We need a pass rusher badly. If Bosa is there you take him. Use free agency & your 2 threes for Oline. 

That would be ideal IF there were any o-line players hitting free agency. This is the worst o-line free agent class that I’ve ever seen which is why FA Oline isn’t an option. Last year was our chance and we blew it.

We HAVE to get o-line or we are screwed and since FA isn’t an option, we are stuck reaching in the draft or passing up on a top pass rusher. It’s more important than pass rusher given that it can’t be filled in free agency.

I’d much rather your scenario and was hoping for that until I saw what was going to be available in 2019 free agency. 

I'll change my mind 100,000 times between now and the draft but right now I'm in the "trade back for more picks" camp.

The Jets need players in so many positions.

I know you risk losing out on some elite talent... But when you have so many holes I don't think it matters.

35 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I'll change my mind 100,000 times between now and the draft but right now I'm in the "trade back for more picks" camp.

The Jets need players in so many positions.

I know you risk losing out on some elite talent... But when you have so many holes I don't think it matters.

This is not a 1 year rebuild so you take the elite talent like Bosa. You have to think 2 years.

Archived