McCarthy High on Jets List for HC

JetsFanatic

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the cost of replacing both Mac and Bowles above leads the Johnsons to keep Mac.  

The press do not write articles in a vacuum.  My guess is that Costello's article was prompted by the Jets PR office asking to soften the ground and justify retaining Mac.  

No one, anywhere, is saying or implying that Bowles is staying.  We could be proven wrong, but that is what I see and hear.

17 hours ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Andy Reid in his last two seasons in Philadelphia went 8-8 and 4-12.  He went to KC and has done pretty well there.  Similar situation to McCarthy.  

Reid ran an almost exclusive West Coast offense in Philly... When he showed up in KC, he had adjusted his play book. He runs a WC style still, but with added vertical wrinkles, Jet sweep packages, more play action, more TE packages...

In other words, Reid (and his coaches) embraced the changing style of offense in the NFL. They went with innovation to supplement the traditional WC style. 

That's what McCarthy has to do. His play calling was stale in GB. He calls a straight up WC game just like Reid did in Philly. He mixed in a few long passes and vertical routes because he had Rodgers, but his style was mostly the same. 

I think he's a good coach. But I think he needs to be open to advancing his offensive style, or bring in someone who can do it for him on that side of the ball.

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

worst possible choice. Except maybe his brother. No Harbaugh's please!

why no Harbaughs?  they both have experience and have had success.  Jim is an offensive minded coach and did exceptionally well with San Fran

John has been in the playoffs for years and won a super Bowl

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I find it interesting that some people wouldn't based on the empirical evidence we have.

You mean like his brother Chris has been in charge for over a year?  Has made all the decisions over that time.  FAs, draft, etc.  

Or how about this.  Candidates need to be interviewed in person and woody lives and works in Europe.  If you give someone the responsibility and then don't let them do what the job entails what's the point.  

Other than typical fans who hate the owner stuff.  And turning guesswork into empirical nothingness. 

54 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean like his brother Chris has been in charge for over a year?  Has made all the decisions over that time.  FAs, draft, etc.  

Or how about this.  Candidates need to be interviewed in person and woody lives and works in Europe.  If you give someone the responsibility and then don't let them do what the job entails what's the point.  

Other than typical fans who hate the owner stuff.  And turning guesswork into empirical nothingness. 

So you think after all we've seen from Woody, the decision will NOT be run by him before execution?

Really?  OK. We live in 2 different worlds.

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

why no Harbaughs?  they both have experience and have had success.  Jim is an offensive minded coach and did exceptionally well with San Fran

John has been in the playoffs for years and won a super Bowl

Jim apparently makes $7.5 million a season with Michigan. Woody doesn't strike me as the type of guy who will top what Jim Harbaugh makes at Michigan. John Harbaugh reportedly makes $7 million a season with the Ravens.

McCarthy was paid $6 million a season by Green Bay.

Needless to say, Bowles was not among the top ten highest paid head coaches.

18 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So you think after all we've seen from Woody, the decision will NOT be run by him before execution?

Really?  OK. We live in 2 different worlds.

Running something by him is a whole lot different than making the pick.  

Chris is the chairman, he'll be in on the face to face meetings, he'll give the ok.  In my world it makes it his pick.  No matter how much it goes against the "I hate Woody, the guy who knows nothing about football" story

On 12/16/2018 at 9:44 PM, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Andy Reid in his last two seasons in Philadelphia went 8-8 and 4-12.  He went to KC and has done pretty well there.  Similar situation to McCarthy.  

Yeah but we live in fantasy football logic world where good coaches always win no matter what

Encouraging words about McCarthy from a GB reporter:

Aaron Nagler‏Verified account @AaronNagler 4m4 minutes ago

Replying to @JCaporoso

Mike helped develop Rodgers, remade Favre, won games with Matt Flynn, molded Aaron Brooks into a starter on a top 5 scoring offense. He’s had his misses, but every coach does. The Jets would be smart to give him an interview.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

The “ofcourse he won he had Rodgers” arguments would actually make sense if McCarthy didn’t develop Rodgers from when he was a rookie

Because every QB coach associated with a HOF QB has to make a successful HC?  The jobs are that similar? 

Argument doesn't quite work on its own. 

The Jets need a QB developer more than they need a HC.

If they develop the QB and bring in other people, the wins will come.  That is basically what the Bears did.

If they hire McCarthy they need to keep Boyer and hire as veteran DC-no Kacy.  Rex or even a demoted Bowles would be better.  

There are few Tom Landrys anymore.  The key is to get an offensive guru in the building and then fill the gaps. 

Archived