McCarthy High on Jets List for HC

JetsFanatic

5 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Good post.  But if we go with another NFL coach, I much prefer John Harbaugh.

I know Harbaugh isn't intimidated by Belichick.

I don't see McCarthy beating him regularly.  Strikes me as dull, predictable, and poor at adjustments. 

I am really willing to hire a college HC.  Lincoln Riley.  Aggressive.  Fast.  Imagination.  Entertaining.  If he would even consider it...

Yeah.  All of this is what Philly thought when they fired Andy Reid and hired the super innovative Chip Kelly.....

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

That he can stage a coup 

Yes I got it, but if you hire a snake to kill the rats you are still left with the snake.

Do you think hes a good coach? I'm not a student of the guys career but my gut reaction is meh. These west coast guys get married to thier system which is kinda antiquated and maybe not best suited for our inconsistant puncher with some playmaking ability. 

2 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah.  All of this is what Philly thought when they fired Andy Reid and hired the super innovative Chip Kelly.....

It's a risk.  No doubt.   Maybe John Harbaugh is the Jets new HC and most of us will get we want at least in some fashion...  A compromise of sorts. 

I think almost all could live with JH.

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You can see a guy like McCarthy coming in and overwhelming a weak sister like Maccagnan, though. For an established coach, it’d be easy enough to roll him and the Johnsons over.

@Sonny Werblin made a similar comment. A Super Bowl winning coach should be able to throw his weight around before getting hired. Tell Woody/Chris that their front office structure is stupid and their drafting has been bad for a number of years. That if they wanna retain Maccagnan, he should work for me and not the other way around. And if I wanna fire him after one year, that should be my prerogative. 

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I don't see McCarthy beating him regularly.  Strikes me as dull, predictable, and poor at adjustments. 

I am really willing to hire a college HC.  Lincoln Riley.  Aggressive.  Fast.  Imagination.  Entertaining.  If he would even consider it...

A couple things about Harbaugh; one, he's not currently available and, two, he's not exactly known for dynamic offenses. 

I like the idea of college coaches, too, and liked it when the Jets hired Bowles. The problem with college coaches is that they usually have pretty safe and cushy gigs with personnel advantages thru recruitment that they'll never have in the pros, and the Jets are clearly not a safe and cushy job with advantages on the NFL level. 

Unfortunately, the Jets have to select their new head coach from the pool of coaches that will actually be available. I get not loving (or even liking) McCarthy, but the guy would bring instant credibility to a team severely lacking in that department. As an experienced head coach, he'd hit the ground running. I get the draw of hot shot coordinators, too, seeing the success of guys like Nagy and McVay, but the Jets have failed when going with the hot shot coordinator since Joe Walton. If they go that route, they have to both be right and attract that candidate to this job. Tall order. 

26 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Interesting, I don’t follow the Packers enough but this seems to be the sentiment from anti McCarthy crowd. The major complaint seems to be around, “lack of innovation” I don’t know man. The guy has had a nice run and I’m never really sure who made who when it’s the HC/QB scenario...ie Walsh/Montana, Beli/Brady,  Payton/Brees etc. Maybe it’s possible McCarthy has mor to do with Rodgers’ success than we think? To be fair they’ve never had a defense worth sh*t besides the SB run. I get that’s on him as the HC but the Packers have been so obnoxiously steadfast on “building through the draft”, of Darnold is the real deal, Jets are always much more aggressive in FA. Maybe it’s a good fit for once. Maybe. I’d be Cautiously optimistic I suppose 

Ino Walsh / Montana is the best example of a coach having a significant role in QB performance . Walsh's offense was revolutionary and really brought about the pass happy play we see in the modern era.

Brees got good under Schottenheimer and Manning under Mora, neither of whom ate thought of as offensive masterminds 

26 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I would prefer Harbaugh too.

Problem is that him, and his brother, arent available.

Hard to get overjoyed with McCarthy...I know he won a Super Bowl...not the hire I'd make...prefer Pete Carmichael...who looks ready to get a strong look from the Packers.

Therein lies the rub...how many candidates would rather come here versus the opening in Green Bay.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Team should go full jetsy and bring back Rex. Team is a joke anyway, at least that way we can all laugh at the punchline this time around 

Plus Mac + Rex together would allow T0m to take his autoerotic asphyxiation fetish to new heights

17 minutes ago, CTM said:

Yes I got it, but if you hire a snake to kill the rats you are still left with the snake.

Do you think hes a good coach? I'm not a student of the guys career but my gut reaction is meh. These west coast guys get married to thier system which is kinda antiquated and maybe not best suited for our inconsistant puncher with some playmaking ability. 

This.  Still, probably the best Woody can do.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

@Sonny Werblin made a similar comment. A Super Bowl winning coach should be able to throw his weight around before getting hired. Tell Woody/Chris that their front office structure is stupid and their drafting has been bad for a number of years. That if they wanna retain Maccagnan, he should work for me and not the other way around. And if I wanna fire him after one year, that should be my prerogative. 

A couple things about Harbaugh; one, he's not currently available and, two, he's not exactly known for dynamic offenses. 

I like the idea of college coaches, too, and liked it when the Jets hired Bowles. The problem with college coaches is that they usually have pretty safe and cushy gigs with personnel advantages thru recruitment that they'll never have in the pros, and the Jets are clearly not a safe and cushy job with advantages on the NFL level. 

Unfortunately, the Jets have to select their new head coach from the pool of coaches that will actually be available. I get not loving (or even liking) McCarthy, but the guy would bring instant credibility to a team severely lacking in that department. As an experienced head coach, he'd hit the ground running. I get the draw of hot shot coordinators, too, seeing the success of guys like Nagy and McVay, but the Jets have failed when going with the hot shot coordinator since Joe Walton. If they go that route, they have to both be right and attract that candidate to this job. Tall order. 

Unfortunately, the Woody's Jets have always chosen the hot D-coordinator versus someone with an offensive background.

Agree with you on the credibility of McCarthy but hard to get excited about him.  Really like Carmichael who has worked with Sean Peyton for a while.  

46 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Harbaugh is #1 on my list. I am definitely with you on that. My concern with him is who he would get for QB Coach and OC. But I’d love Harbaugh

McCarthy checks the boxes. Would love to break the rookie head coach crap, tbh. Everybody is the next ________ . McCarthy had a lot of success with a young Green Bay team. The jets are a young team. Maybe that could have some bearing, maybe not.

One thing for sure, every coach that's available will be linked to the jets before this is over...

35 minutes ago, jgb said:

Rodgers didn’t even call his Mother after she had to flee the CA wild fires. Guy is a grade A whacko POS it’s amazing McCarthy even won 1 SB with that absolute narcissist loser

Aaron's brother is the Dbag of the family, not Aaron who donated $1 for the fire's relief effort. I wouldn't believe his brother if he told me the sky was blue. ( I know it's not, just sayin...)

2 minutes ago, freestater said:

McCarthy checks the boxes. Would love to break the rookie head coach crap, tbh. Everybody is the next ________ . McCarthy had a lot of success with a young Green Bay team. The jets are a young team. Maybe that could have some bearing, maybe not.

One thing for sure, every coach that's available will be linked to the Jets before this is over...

You can put money on that.

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s funny, I really don’t care about any moves via player personnel or coaching at this point. I honestly feel that it’s hopeless, especially if they bring back Mac. Darnold is the only shred of hope that I have but he hasn’t proven a thing yet but has also been surrounded by trash. Maybe he can rise up but this terrible organization will surely make it nearly impossible.

It’s easier to start seeing things for what they are. Fans can’t control what actually happens or make better decisions than the GM/coach and actually have it matter. All you can do is reset expectations and make the most of it.

I don’t like McCarthy at all but who am I to be picky. I am a lowly, desperate Jet fan and would be grateful for anything half decent at this point. I’m personally not “invested” in any one candidate and I don’t think they will make enough of a difference as coaching is only 1 half of the equation. Our roster is terrible with no end in sight. 

At least McCarthy is a bonafide HEAD COACH, something the Jets haven’t had since Bill Parcells 20 YEARS ago, so I’m ok with it.  

Cimini wrote an article a few days ago, a good one, where he quoted an unnamed ex Jet who said and pretty much CONFIRMED.what we who post on Jetnation mostly ALL feel....that the Jet organization from top to bottom is basically filled with INCOMPETENTS who all cover for each other, there are many players who don’t even care and are just there for a check just like their bosses, Maccagnan and Bowles who from Day 1 have first and foremost looked to protect their checks.

The Jets need a HC who won’t stand for any of the culture that is now unfortunately in place and has been for way too long.

But even if the Jets could hire a McCarthy or a Harbaugh it’ll still be like a hamster on a wheel if they stupidly get conned into keeping Maccagnan.

1 hour ago, CTM said:

So your top criteria for a new coach is someone who you believe can politically outmaneuver Mac? 

ANYONE can “politically outmaneuver” Mac, ANYONE, including the guy sitting at the end of the bar can “Outdraft” Mac, or “Out Free Agent” Mac.

The ONLY reason Mac still has his job is he works for Johnson.

2 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

ANYONE can “politically outmaneuver” Mac, ANYONE, including the guy sitting at the end of the bar can “Outdraft” Mac, or “Out Free Agent” Mac.

Anyone except Todd Bowles??

We have an example right in our face of a Bowles catching the blame both in the media and with ownership of a situation that is clearly both their mess (and imo moreso Mac's). Mac clearly outmaneuvered Bowles politically.

And you don't get to be a GM of an NFL franchise without some political skills, unless you are some kind of analytical whiz which Mac certainly isnt

33 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

at least you dont get all butt hurt...

and you actually try to make your argument.

Nah... you're right.  I am arrogant, and occasionally condescending.  I usually think I am right... often am, btw.  But I admit when I'm wrong too. Something many of these NFL head coaches never do... which is something I cannot stand.  

It is OK to believe in what you're doing.  It is OK to go against the grain.  In fact, those are necessary characteristics.   It is not OK to continue to do it after multiple failures.

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

You say that like a fan BUT I actually believe much of it. I have been around smart guys that I believe could do a better job. They would need help with contracts, etc.. but pure talent evaluation, spending on Vets, filling needs? Mac is terrible.

Hard to believe McCarthy would even want to come here. His image / coaching has taken a bit of hit in GB recently.  Coming to the Jets to rebuild your resume doesn't seem like the best of decisions based on jet history.  Also hard to believe any coach with other options is racing to work for macagan.  Possible this story leaked by McCarthy people to help his leverage after season ends and hiring around the league begins.  He still seems like a logical fit in Cleveland with. Dorsey. If he wins 8-9 games there he's a hero and Browns roster has far more talent than jets 

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Anyone except Todd Bowles??

We have an example right in our face of a Bowles catching the blame both in the media and with ownership of a situation that is clearly both their mess (and imo moreso Mac's). Mac clearly outmaneuvered Bowles politically.

And you don't get to be a GM of an NFL franchise without some political skills, unless you are some kind of analytical whiz which Mac certainly isnt

The thinking seems to be that Bowles is an incompetent milquetoast limpdick, but also that he’s managed to commandeer the entire scouting and pro-personnel apparatus.

46 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You say that like a fan BUT I actually believe much of it. I have been around smart guys that I believe could do a better job. They would need help with contracts, etc.. but pure talent evaluation, spending on Vets, filling needs? Mac is terrible.

I’m a fan, I also have a CPA license which means I can think somewhat critically haha, and I truly believe and wished that a high school fantasy football whiz kid had had the GM job over Maccagnan...the kid would have run circles around him.  I also have the belief that Maccagnan was in no way the Jets 1st or even 2nd choice.  I agree with a post of yours that stated you think that a lot of these guys in sports management aren’t the sharpest tools in the drawer.  I think a lot of staying employed is hiw deep you’re in the clique.

The Jets have a bad owner, quality people don’t want that.  So it’s no surprise with what they wind up with.  Bowles, I’m done bringing up that subject.  I’ve never seen any coach like him, on any level.

Archived