McCarthy High on Jets List for HC

JetsFanatic

7 hours ago, Persiussa said:

My reason for not liking McCarthy is a little illogical but...no coach that has won a Super Bowl with 1 team has gone to a 2nd team and won another.  Eventually someone will do it but until it happens, it hasn’t happened.  I like the idea of having him here but I do wonder if Rodgers was the reason for his success.

with the exception of Weeb, I dont think any Jet coach has ever won one

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

with the exception of Weeb, I dont think any Jet coach has ever won one

Without fact-checking myself, I believe that Weeb is the only head coach to win NFL Championships with two different teams; the Colts before the Super Bowl era and then, of course, the Jets. If a coach is ever gonna win a championship with a second team, the Jets should be their choice. :) 

One thing that scares me about McCarthy is his lack of a coaching tree.  In 13 years as an NFL head coach, he has only had 2 assistants go on to get NFL Head Coaching opprotuntiies:  Ben McAdoo and Joe Philbin.  And neither guy was successful.  A coach has to build a staff and it concerns me that either he does not do a good job of building a staff, or he does not adequately develop his assistants. 

That is a red flag to me for a guy who has been a head coach for as long as McCarthy.

4 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Well said. This is the happiest that the fans have been in a while and something is FINALLY working. Why on earth would you risk the backlash of things going wrong? Keeping Williams seems like the ONLY move that they can make.

Sure they can move on in a year or 2 if it doesn’t workout but they have shown enough potential without him even having a full offseason with the team. I think they lucked out and need to stick with him. 

If they keep Williams that would be huge for the Jets Head Coach search. I think the Browns are the only other team that matches the Jets in attractiveness to potential coaches.

On 12/15/2018 at 11:28 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

Here's the problem for Mac. Regardless how any of us feel about McCarthy as a HC, the guy is smart and arrogant. So, he's going to figure out pretty quickly that Mac is a moron, and he will share that view with the Johnsons.  

IMO, Mac will try to get the Johnsons to hire a guy that Mac knows will be loyal to him.

Who says the J’s will allow Mac to hire the next head coach? In fact, they might not even fire Bowles who might have had a pass this year since Sam is a rook. I wouldn’t put anything past these morons.

8 minutes ago, BigO said:

Who says the J’s will allow Mac to hire the next head coach? In fact, they might not even fire Bowles who might have had a pass this year since Sam is a rook. I wouldn’t put anything past these morons.

I certainly didn't... My exact words were:

IMO, Mac will try to get the Johnsons to hire a guy that Mac knows will be loyal to him.

14 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I certainly didn't... My exact words were:

IMO, Mac will try to get the Johnsons to hire a guy that Mac knows will be loyal to him.

Mac isn’t that smart and neither are the Johnsons. 

I read something about McCarthy staying at least for now and living in Green Bay. He likes the area. Of course he’s going to have to move unless he retires and he’s too young to retire. He seems to me a Midwest kind of guy not sure he would like the Big Apple. But probably a Jets coach doesn’t have to deal much with the city and can have a nice life in suburban NJ. But if he has a choice of jobs he’ll maybe choose to go with a team with talent. a reasonable owner and a job in the Midwest like the Browns. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I read something about McCarthy staying at least for now and living in Green Bay. He likes the area. Of course he’s going to have to move unless he retires and he’s too young to retire. He seems to me a Midwest kind of guy not sure he would like the Big Apple. But probably a Jets coach doesn’t have to deal much with the city and can have a nice life in suburban NJ. But if he has a choice of jobs he’ll maybe choose to go with a team with talent. a reasonable owner and a job in the Midwest like the Browns. 

I can agree with all of your post except for the “reasonable owner”.  The Browns owner is an idiot.

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think I remember a game against the Steelers where the announcers made a big deal about McCarthy growing up in the Pittsburgh area.

10 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I can agree with all of your post except for the “reasonable owner”.  The Browns owner is an idiot.

There are issues with both Haslam and the Johnsons.

The difference is that Haslam has a real football guy in charge in Dorsey, and my guess is that Dorsey can sell a coach and staff on Haslam being more passive, for now.  

Think about the Jets-they hired Rex when Tanny was the real GM.  They did a decent job of putting a team together.  Rex saw Tanny in charge with an involved owner.

Then Woody switched Tanny for Idzik, probably because no one else credible would take the GM job.  How many GMs have been hired since Idzik has been fired?  Idzik has a job, which is good for him and his family, but no one is hiring him as GM again.  

So Mac and Bowles were the best that the Johnsons could hire with their new set up.  But look at how it has worked.   It is obviously a system that is a political mess and not conducive to building a winning football program.  We will hear more and more about how they draft picks were made, and get madder and madder.  And the FA signings.

No one credible is going to work for the Johnsons, particularly with Mac buying the groceries.  The Jets have to fix the organization before they try and hire a HC.  And they will likely need to pay a veteran DC, like Gregg Williams, if they hire an offensive HC.  

24 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He's really thin skinned who had issues with the media in GB.   Sounds like a perfect match for a NY HC 

On 12/15/2018 at 11:19 AM, Kevin L said:

Jets fans- "I'm sick and tired of this franchise hiring first time HC's! We need a coach with experience! Someone who has actually done something in this league!"

Also Jets fans-"McCarthy sucks because he's only won one Super Bowl!"

Not the brightest bunch of fans 

41 minutes ago, Lot K Tailgaters said:

Andy Reid in his last two seasons in Philadelphia went 8-8 and 4-12.  He went to KC and has done pretty well there.  Similar situation to McCarthy.  

Andy Reid is an offensive pioneer.

Mike McCarthy is a fat nothing.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think I remember a game against the Steelers where the announcers made a big deal about McCarthy growing up in the Pittsburgh area.

You’re right but Pittsburgh is pretty far west in PA. It’s almost the Midwest and not too far from Cleve. 

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

If that’s the case we should have never hired Bill Parcells

I was thinking the same thing.  Parcells almost got to Super Bowls with multiple teams....Giants, Jets, lost a SB with Patriots, playoffs with Cowboys, etc.  Mike Holmgren won a SB with Green Bay and lost one as coach of the Seahawks (should have won if not for a bad call vs. Pittsburgh).

I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets give Bill Cowher a call either if we're truly going the retread route.

How many top HCs switch teams?  Lombardi only coached a year or 2 in Washington before he got sick, Shula was a really young coach in Baltimore and  did win an NFL title in Baltimore(though it was the equivalent of a conf title today), Noll only coached in Pitt, Walsh in SF, Landry in Dallas, Gibbs in DC,.

who are the guys that had chances after winning SBs?

Parcells?  he took over the dregs of this league and got NE to a SB, got the Jets w/in 30 mins and returned Dallas to the playoffs w/ Quincy Carter

Holmgren? got Seattle to a SB

Jimmy Johnson?  He got Miami back to the playoffs but the way he handled Marino killed him

Hank Stram?  he took over in NO late in his carer

Mike Shanahan? he did very little w/o Elway/TD

Ditka? I don't think he was ever really a great coach

Vermeil? he was about 80 when he went to KC

Seifert? he inherited a dynasty in SF, we saw more of what he was in Carolina

really the only truly great coach was Parcells and he did great things in each place he coached he just didn't win more SBs mostly b/c he would never stay anywhere long enough.

I don't think McCarthy is a great HC but he's a very good one and he helped develop Rodgers and resurrect Favre.  If we get him I won't be upset.

On 12/15/2018 at 3:48 PM, Jetpain said:

Hard to believe McCarthy would even want to come here. His image / coaching has taken a bit of hit in GB recently.  Coming to the Jets to rebuild your resume doesn't seem like the best of decisions based on jet history.  Also hard to believe any coach with other options is racing to work for macagan.  Possible this story leaked by McCarthy people to help his leverage after season ends and hiring around the league begins.  He still seems like a logical fit in Cleveland with. Dorsey. If he wins 8-9 games there he's a hero and Browns roster has far more talent than jets 

With Cleveland’s success it’s possible they hire Gregg Williams back

On 12/15/2018 at 11:19 AM, Kevin L said:

Jets fans- "I'm sick and tired of this franchise hiring first time HC's! We need a coach with experience! Someone who has actually done something in this league!"

Also Jets fans-"McCarthy sucks because he's only won one Super Bowl!"

Most of the folks on here would have freaked out and cried if we would have hired Andy Reid after he was fired in Philly. 

We would have heard all sorts of things like He can't win the big game, He was run out of Philly, why would we hire a guy from the trash heap or he's a stubborn totalitarian etc. 

McCarthy would immediately be the most winning coach we've had since the little bill assisted Parcells. And if McCarthy was aided by having the likes of Favre or Rodgers, well we have Darnold so that's a pretty good similarity.  I would take the last 13 years of Greenbay Football for our future any day of the week.

I for one am tired of the Jets hiring coordinators or position coaches for their first HC gig. 

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Parcells almost got to Super Bowls with multiple teams....Giants, Jets, lost a SB with Patriots, playoffs with Cowboys, etc.  Mike Holmgren won a SB with Green Bay and lost one as coach of the Seahawks (should have won if not for a bad call vs. Pittsburgh).

I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets give Bill Cowher a call either if we're truly going the retread route.

I love the Chin but I think he’s pretty comfortable in his analyst seat. Something about these guys that have been out of coaching for a number of years gives me pause also. Gruden seems lost this year. Maybe he’ll improve but I’m not holding my breath.

On 12/15/2018 at 10:55 AM, prime21 said:

Great.  A guy who had Arron Rodgers and could only get one ring. Oh wait.  I’ll be happy with one ring besides the 69 one. 

You realize how insanely difficult Aaron Rodgers is to deal with... This is the whole reason that he dropped in the draft.... He was thought to be uncoachable... 

On 12/15/2018 at 11:35 AM, Patriot Killa said:

Uh, because he was just fired for it? Does that not seem feasible to you?

No, long time coaches do not just suddenly embrace a new philosophy.  A tiger does not change its stripes.  I am sure McCarthy has a number of excuses why things did not work out, with his philosophy not being one of them.

That said, everything is relative and I would take him in a minute over the dreck that we have now.

Mike McCarthy made over 6 million last year with the Packers

among the top 10 of NFL HCs

Bowles makes about 4 in the bottom 5 on NFL HCs

do you give him McCarthy a raise? He's going to expect it

here's the bill for all this btw

Firing Bowles: 4 Mil 

Firing Mac: another 4 Mil 

Hiring Casserly or Ron Wolf consultant: 500k-1Mil

Hiring McCarthy on the free market: 7-8Mil+ per year 

Assuming McCarthy picks the groceries, Hiring salary cap guru/VP type replacement: 1-2 Mil 

total expenditure on coach/GM change about 17-20 mil 

my question to all of you do you really expect all this from a team whose real owner is oveseas, has no QB coach and pays Jeremy Bates in beef jerky

there's a reason why they have not fired Bowles in the first place and it's because they don't want to do anything above that cuts into their sweet TV revenue

with the baby powder stuff they probably aren't making big moves this winter.

21 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Sorry kid but it's a what have you done for me lately world and McCarthy hasn't gotten it done lately. I do agree with you on Macc though so there's that.

When they were good his GM was finding star WRs in  the mid rounds.  Now Rodgers O line sucks and his skill positions are weak.  the D is Clay Mathews and not much else.   I think much of McCarthys issues in GB are talent related

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Assuming McCarthy picks the groceries, Hiring salary cap guru/VP type replacement: 1-2 Mil 

my question to all of you do you really expect all this from a team whose real owner is oveseas, has no QB coach and pays Jeremy Bates in beef jerky

there's a reason why they have not fired Bowles in the first place and it's because they don't want to do anything above that cuts into their sweet TV revenue

If you are saying that Bowles stays, Id take that bet.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Hopefully this will be the catalyst that causes Woody a fortune and he has to sell the team. If not, just get used to the same parade of over-glorified coordinators as HC's and 3rd tier guys as GM

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, RoadFan said:

It's a risk.  No doubt.   Maybe John Harbaugh is the Jets new HC and most of us will get we want at least in some fashion...  A compromise of sorts. 

I think almost all could live with JH.

worst possible choice. Except maybe his brother. No Harbaugh's please!

Archived