McCarthy High on Jets List for HC

JetsFanatic

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Can someone tell me why we’re supposed to be hating Mcarthy as a candidate?

Becaus everyone believed what twitter is saying. “He ruined Aaron Rogers!” Instead of realizing he developed a talented but raw kid with an attitude problem and helped him become to the best QB in the league.

Yeah...lets not hire this guy. Lol

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

That's one of the guys I wanted, but If Mac hires him I will feel torn. I still think he goes to the Browns. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if Toub is the one who goes to the Browns. Him and Dorsey have that KC connection. If Toub is the real deal, Dorsey would know. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

McCarthy or Toub. Fine with either. Feel like McCarthy gives us a direction though. Don’t @ me haters.

for those who say he’s inflexible, why would the guy approach his new job the same way that got him fired from his old one? I’ve asked this plenty and no solid answers yet.

I don’t feel as confident in him “changing” as you do. These guys, especially one with the record McCarthy has, have an ego. Their pride, and sense of accomplishment would make them more prone to prove their way was the right way after all. I’m not as excited about this guy as you are, but I think he’d be a better choice then DeFillipo or LaFleur. I’d just caution you about that “reinvent himself” thing you’re counting on. I think with him, what you’ve seen is what you’ll get. For better or worse.

14 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Becaus everyone believed what twitter is saying. “He ruined Aaron Rogers!” Instead of realizing he developed a talented but raw kid with an attitude problem and helped him become to the best QB in the league.

Yeah...lets not hire this guy. Lol

OK... One more time.  Why not?!?!?

I was warm to the idea of McCarthy... until I started reading about him.  Packer fans thoughts. Articles. Player comments.  Etc.  What I came away with was "stubborn and inflexible."  This guy was rumored to be half way out the door for a while and never budged an inch on anything.

And then the Aaron Jones thing.  He lost me completely.  Aaron Rodgers, Packers beat writers, Packers fans, and basically the ENTIRE fantasy playing world knew that AaJo was the best running back on his roster.  Talking about it, writing about it, tweeting about, asking questions about it of him on the podium... AND STILL THAT STUBBORN MULE CONTINUED TO GIVE JAMAAL "THE SLUG" WILLIAMS THE MAJORITY OF THE CARRIES FOR AN EXTRA 7 WEEKS AFTER JONES WAS BACK FROM SUSPENSION.

Does the fact that the whole world knew what his depth chart should be, and he didn't, qualify as enough of a warning sign for you?

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I was warm to the idea of McCarthy... until I started reading about him.  Packer fans thoughts. Articles. Player comments.  Etc.  What I came away with was "stubborn and inflexible."  This guy was rumored to be half way out the door for a while and never budged an inch on anything.

And then the Aaron Jones thing.  He lost me completely.  Aaron Rodgers, Packers beat writers, Packers fans, and basically the ENTIRE fantasy playing world knew that AaJo was the best running back on his roster.  Talking about, writing about it, tweeting about, asking questions about it of him on the podium... AND STILL THAT STUBBORN MULE CONTINUED TO GIVE JAMAAL "THE SLUG" WILLIAMS THE MAJORITY OF THE CARRIES FOR AN EXTRA 7 WEEKS AFTER JONES WAS BACK FROM SUSPENSION.

Is the fact that the whole world knew what his depth chart should be, and he didn't, qualify as enough of a warning sign for you?

is there a more condescending prig of a poster hereabouts? 

There are 2 things I can already tell from this coaching search that hasn't even started yet.

1.). There isn't a coach out there that will be a resounding "Yes" from the fan base.  Or at least the board.  I'm not sure if message boards represent the voice of the fan base accurately.

2.  People can't be respectful regarding other people's opinions about the next coach.  Everyone has to be smarter than everyone else.  It's either the guy is great or completely sucks.

38 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Sorry Bill Walsh in his prime isn’t available guys. Some fans are insane.

This is one of the winningest coaches in the league during his tenure. He coached for one of the most passive front offices in the league.

All the “He only won one Super Bowl with Aaron Rogers” comments are complete nonsense. Football is the ultimate team game. Green Bay has had consistent poor OL, running, and defenses. They usually have 1 good WR and hope Rogers and McCarthy can save the day. 

This guy brought Favre back from the dead and then developed Rogers. We want someoe to develop Sam Darnold. You can’t convince of too many others better suited.

Is McCarthy a perfect coach? Hell no. He has somethings to correct. But we’d be lucky to have him as our coach.

Good post. This mirrors my feelings. I don't love McCarthy by any stretch, but to pretend that if he takes the job he wouldn't be the best coach the Jets have had since Parcells would be dishonest, to say the least. 

The Jets won't be getting their top choice for head coach, though. If the reporting is true and Maccagnan is staying, he and his crappy roster are two giant red flags. 

1 hour ago, Kevin L said:

Jets fans- "I'm sick and tired of this franchise hiring first time HC's! We need a coach with experience! Someone who has actually done something in this league!"

Also Jets fans-"McCarthy sucks because he's only won one Super Bowl!"

Exactly...Let's keep in mind - up until the last couple of years the Packers were perennial Super Bowl contenders.  It's not like he won once and then had a losing record.  

I agree, there's a concern of the role he played - but bottom line is I would much rather him than any first time coach.  We've done the first time coach for a very long time. 

Lastly, to your point.  Any HC with experience will almost certainly be a coach that was fired, therefor a failure. 

Jets fans say they want a HC with experience but then don't want a HC that hasn't failed..it's crazy.

I don't love McCarthy but he would be the best hire this team has made since Parcells.

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Good post. This mirrors my feelings. I don't love McCarthy by any stretch, but to pretend that if he takes the job he wouldn't be the best coach the Jets have had since Parcells would be dishonest, to say the least. 

The Jets won't be getting their top choice for head coach, though. If the reporting is true and Maccagnan is staying, he and his crappy roster are two giant red flags. 

You can see a guy like McCarthy coming in and overwhelming a weak sister like Maccagnan, though. For an established coach, it’d be easy enough to roll him and the Johnsons over.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

He is a stubborn imbecile.   I am so close to quitting on this stupid franchise.   They hire this guy, and I might.

So you made it through Herms stupidity, Rex's insanity, and Bowles.....nothingness, but you'll draw the line at "experienced HC who ONLY won 1 Superbowl"?  You betcha. 

1 hour ago, CTM said:

Retreads ftw

Maybe try something other than hiring guys who have no idea how to run a team, try to learn on the fly, fail, and start over.

1 hour ago, Kevin L said:

Jets fans- "I'm sick and tired of this franchise hiring first time HC's! We need a coach with experience! Someone who has actually done something in this league!"

Also Jets fans-"McCarthy sucks because he's only won one Super Bowl!"

This. LOL.

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Exactly, McCarthy isn’t #1 on my list of who may be available, but he’s defintely high on the list.

Just now, T0mShane said:

You can see a guy like McCarthy coming in and overwhelming a weak sister like Maccagnan, though. For an established coach, it’d be easy enough to roll him and the Johnsons over.

I see this as a positive. "No, Mike. We are NOT taking another safety in this draft.  Get me more receivers and some decent ******* offensive linemen, you coffee swilling bitch. Thanks, pal."

Sorry. I may have added a bit to much of myself into that creative writing excerpt. 

16 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

And then the Aaron Jones thing.  He lost me completely.  Aaron Rodgers, Packers beat writers, Packers fans, and basically the ENTIRE fantasy playing world knew that AaJo was the best running back on his roster.  Talking about it, writing about it, tweeting about, asking questions about it of him on the podium... AND STILL THAT STUBBORN MULE CONTINUED TO GIVE JAMAAL "THE SLUG" WILLIAMS THE MAJORITY OF THE CARRIES FOR AN EXTRA 7 WEEKS AFTER JONES WAS BACK FROM SUSPENSION.

Does the fact that the whole world knew what his depth chart should be, and he didn't, qualify as enough of a warning sign for you?

All of these long-term coaches schtick wears thin on the fan base and media after a while.  Doesn't bother me too much about that.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Watching GMF on NFL Network.  NFL insider Mike Garafolo says Bowles gone at the end of the season and the Jets top target is Mike McCarthy.

Just saw the Garafolo report and his exact words were McCarthy “is one of the guys high on their list.” He didn’t say he was the Jets’ top target. 

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I see this as a positive. "No, Mike. We are NOT taking another safety in this draft.  Get me more receivers and some decent ******* offensive linemen, you coffee swilling bitch. Thanks, pal."

Sorry. I may have added a bit to much of myself into that creative writing excerpt. 

But for real, I think that approach could work. Maccagnan is a leper right now and any coach that gets Sam Darnold to not suck is going to be viewed as a savior, and he’ll have a lot of political capital to spend, especially in the press.

19 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Name me 1 coach that is going to be available or potentially will be that us without a red flag. 

Or even better, name me 1 coach in the league besides BB (and even he benched Malcom Butler in the Super Bowl) that is without a red flag.

There isn’t. McCarthy has concerns just like everyone else. But at least he’s one of, if not the most proven commodity out there for what our team needs.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is why I think we may land a top candidate. Job security, beaten down fanbase with zero expectations, 5-11 is a “winning season”, absent owner and absent minded interim owner. We are finally an attractive spot to get a gig and milk it.

The bar has been set so low that you can’t do any worse. Plus, even if Mac is the coaches boss, an experienced coach is going to b*tchslap/bully that dumb coffee swigging c*nt and run the show anyways. 

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

He is a stubborn imbecile.   I am so close to quitting on this stupid franchise.   They hire this guy, and I might.

Interesting, I don’t follow the Packers enough but this seems to be the sentiment from anti McCarthy crowd. The major complaint seems to be around, “lack of innovation” I don’t know man. The guy has had a nice run and I’m never really sure who made who when it’s the HC/QB scenario...ie Walsh/Montana, Beli/Brady,  Payton/Brees etc. Maybe it’s possible McCarthy has mor to do with Rodgers’ success than we think? To be fair they’ve never had a defense worth sh*t besides the SB run. I get that’s on him as the HC but the Packers have been so obnoxiously steadfast on “building through the draft”, of Darnold is the real deal, Jets are always much more aggressive in FA. Maybe it’s a good fit for once. Maybe. I’d be Cautiously optimistic I suppose 

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So you made it through Herms stupidity, Rex's insanity, and Bowles.....nothingness, but you'll draw the line at "experienced HC who ONLY won 1 Superbowl"?  You betcha. 

Maybe try something other than hiring guys who have no idea how to run a team, try to learn on the fly, fail, and start over.

This. LOL.

I hear ya.  We agree on a lot of things.   I just have a bad feeling about him. 

I don't like the rumors of inflexibility.   That maybe he won't adjust to the times.  Put his personnel in the best position for each individual to succeed.   A square peg in the round hole guy.  

I have my heart set on fast, imaginative, maybe a HC from the college ranks. 

McCarthy is as dull as dull can be.  I don't see him outcoaching Belichick. 

I know John Harbaugh can beat him. But McCarthy?  Meh...

the jets at least have got to give this guy a good look.  as others have said, maybe mccarthy doesn't want the jets.  can't say i would blame him at this point.  one thing we have seen is just about any new coach has improved the team record over the previous coach.  the key is to get the guy who can keep the winning ways over a number of seasons.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

But for real, I think that approach could work. Maccagnan is a leper right now and any coach that gets Sam Darnold to not suck is going to be viewed as a savior, and he’ll have a lot of political capital to spend, especially in the press.

So your top criteria for a new coach is someone who you believe can politically outmaneuver Mac? 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is why I think we may land a top candidate. Job security, beaten down fanbase with zero expectations, 5-11 is a “winning season”, absent owner and absent minded interim owner. We are finally an attractive spot to get a gig and milk it.

The bar has been set so low that you can’t do any worse. Plus, even if Mac is the coaches boss, an experienced coach is going to b*tchslap/bully that dumb coffee swigging c*nt and run the show anyways. 

So, in ohter words, we are so poorly run and have such weak ownership and management that we are an ideal spot for an aplha male who wants to come in and take control.  The situation is so bad that its good.  Love it.

#JetFanLogic

1 minute ago, Lith said:

So, in ohter words, we are so poorly run and have such weak ownership and management that we are an ideal spot for an aplha male who wants to come in and take control.  The situation is so bad that its good.  Love it.

#JetFanLogic

Have to try and find some optimism somehow. I don’t see any other way to put a positive spin on it. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

McCarthy or Toub. Fine with either. Feel like McCarthy gives us a direction though. Don’t @ me haters.

for those who say he’s inflexible, why would the guy approach his new job the same way that got him fired from his old one? I’ve asked this plenty and no solid answers yet.

Coaches rarely change. Rex coached the same way in Buffalo that he did with the Jets and I am sure that Bowles wouldn't change a thing either if he were to ever land another head coaching job (Arizona is his only chance at getting another head coaching job since they seem to hold him in high regard).

The game has passed McCarthy by. He was gifted the most talented QB to ever play the game yet only won one Super Bowl. Give me a young up and coming offensive mind like Lincoln Riley and not a stubborn retread.

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Name me 1 coach that is going to be available or potentially will be that us without a red flag. 

Or even better, name me 1 coach in the league besides BB (and even he benched Malcom Butler in the Super Bowl) that is without a red flag.

There isn’t. McCarthy has concerns just like everyone else. But at least he’s one of, if not the most proven commodity out there for what our team needs.

Good post.  But if we go with another NFL coach, I much prefer John Harbaugh.

I know Harbaugh isn't intimidated by Belichick.

I don't see McCarthy beating him regularly.  Strikes me as dull, predictable, and poor at adjustments. 

I am really willing to hire a college HC.  Lincoln Riley.  Aggressive.  Fast.  Imagination.  Entertaining.  If he would even consider it...

I’ve warmed up to McCarthy. He’s an offensive coach who is used to winning and he also has to get at least some credit for helping develop Rodgers. 

As for getting run out of Green Bay, relationships get stale and it’s not like Rodgers is lacking diva qualities.

I don’t think it’s a slam dunk, but it’s a step in the right direction, for sure. Offensive coach with experience coaching/developing elite QBs. We could do worse 

4 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I hear ya.  We agree on a lot of things.   I just have a bad feeling about him. 

I don't like the rumors of inflexibility.   That maybe he won't adjust to the times.  Put his personnel in the best position for each individual to succeed.   A square peg in the round hole guy.  

I have my heart set on fast, imaginative, maybe a HC from the college ranks. 

McCarthy is as dull as dull can be.  I don't see him outcoaching Belichick. 

I know John Harbaugh can beat him. But McCarthy?  Meh...

I hear you, Road. But hopefully we have a solid 15-18 years with Darnold, God willing. The most important thing in the development  of Darnold is the next 3 years. McCarthy will teach him properly. He will set a foundation for him, like he did for scattergun Rodgers. Yeah, Aaron is tired of McCarthy,  it happens. He thinks he's holding him back. Well, let's see what happens in GB if Rodgers gets a guy who's like, yeah, sure bro, do what you want. LOL. Scramble-bombs on every down.

Turning on his mentor didnt work for Anakin Skywalker,  and it might backfire there, too. Favre was only under control with Holmgren, everyone else let Favre do what he wanted, and he ended every season with a ton of picks and no SBs. 

McCarthy will TEACH Darnold,  not hang out with him, and not tell him that his job is to NOT THROW INTERCEPTIONS and he must PROTECT MUH DEFENSE!!

If it doesn't work out after 5 years, it doesn't work out.  BUT, we will have a properly developed, fundamentally sound Franchise QB.

Archived