McCarthy High on Jets List for HC

JetsFanatic

Browns have the edge on the Jets because Cleveland's GM John Dorsey spent 21 years as an executive in Green Bay and helped hire McCarthy. Also Browns assistant GM Eliot Wolf worked in Green Bay's scouting department for 14 years. So, they have a history the Browns can take advantage of. What do the Jets have? Mac? The Jets need a new GM because they are going to be getting sloppy seconds with the Dorsey/Mayfield and perhaps Keim/Rosen or Decosta/Jackson being more attractive work partners than Mac/Darnold. While IMO Darnold is the preferable QB of the group, Mac and the Jets front office is so far behind the others that if I were a HC candidate, I would choose all 3 over the Jets because I would not trust Mac to give me the roster I need. Instead, I'd be looking at having a  roster filled with over-priced free agents and bad draft pics with an occasional hit in the first round. 

My advice is for the Jets to hire Eliot Wolf as GM. The kids has been around winning front offices and knows how they operate and build through the draft. Plus, he's got his dad as a sounding board for any major decisions. It may not get us McCarthy, but I think it would make the Jets a more attractive destination. 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Browns have the edge on the Jets because Cleveland's GM John Dorsey spent 21 years as an executive in Green Bay and helped hire McCarthy. Also Browns assistant GM Eliot Wolf worked in Green Bay's scouting department for 14 years. So, they have a history the Browns can take advantage of. What do the Jets have? Mac? The Jets need a new GM because they are going to be getting sloppy seconds with the Dorsey/Mayfield and perhaps Keim/Rosen or Decosta/Jackson being more attractive work partners than Mac/Darnold. While IMO Darnold is the preferable QB of the group, Mac and the Jets front office is so far behind the others that if I were a HC candidate, I would choose all 3 over the Jets because I would not trust Mac to give me the roster I need. Instead, I'd be looking at having a  roster filled with over-priced free agents and bad draft pics with an occasional hit in the first round. 

My advice is for the Jets to hire Eliot Wolf as GM. The kids has been around winning front offices and knows how they operate and build through the draft. Plus, he's got his dad as a sounding board for any major decisions. It may not get us McCarthy, but I think it would make the Jets a more attractive destination. 

The Browns can't fire Williams if he keeps winning.

13 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

keeps winning? There are two games left. Does 1-1 count as keep winning? 

And they would not be firing him. He is the interim coach. They have yet to hire him as HC.

Williams has done a nice job with the Browns, he has to be a serious candidate for HC.

10 hours ago, choon328 said:

He's actually be the opposite of the Sanchez pick. Sanchez was very inexperienced, McCarthy is not. It would be more like the Mayfield pick. Not as high of an upside as the next Sean McVay but can hit the ground running and be consistent.

goof point on experience but IMHO Sanchez was never the high ceiling pick, he had fluky success in college and was probably the best option after Favre retired and Stafford was taken off the board

Much like Sanchez,  I would be ok with McCarthy since I understand the reasoning, makes sense on many levels...

Baker had a much better resume and much higher ceiling - would be interesting if the Jets find a similar coaching prospect - Maybe Williams/Kitchens and the job they is doing in Cleveland 

Kitchens proves that sometimes you have to give someone a chance, never called a play but had plenty of football experience - Jets should have made a change at the bye and gave someone / anyone a chance

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Thats not what he said on GMF yesterday.  He said McCarthy was their top target, he also said he could work with Mac.

He said he felt they would go after a big name HC.  MacCarthy is the only experienced big name out there.  He also said Harbaugh.  Both.  

All meaningless, he's guessing that we'd go for an experienced coach, makes sense given what we've been hiring and named all the people who may be available to us.  Not exactly informative or insightful

6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Williams has done a nice job with the Browns, he has to be a serious candidate for HC.

Agreed. He will be interviewed. I do not think they will simply hand him the job.

Actually, I hope he doesn't get the job, doesn't want to continue as the browns DC,  and ends up with the Jets as DC.

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Amazing how we hear what we want or maybe don't want to hear.   Garafollo said he thinks the Jets will go for a big name.  Listed McCarthy as a possibility.  Or Harbaugh.  Both brothers may be in play. 

Total guess gets 5 pages.  Lol

Jim Harbaugh Said he’s not leaving Michigan but you never know with these guys. He could pull a Nick Sabin.

2 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Agreed. He will be interviewed. I do not think they will simply hand him the job.

Actually, I hope he doesn't get the job, doesn't want to continue as the browns DC,  and ends up with the Jets as DC.

I'm with you.  Was assuming he's out at the end of the season and he'd be available to whoever we hire as our next HC.  He would be a good fit given our defensive roster and scheme

43 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The Browns can't fire Williams if he keeps winning.

34 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

And they would not be firing him. He is the interim coach. They have yet to hire him as HC.

From what I've read it seems like the OC is the one getting all the credit for his work and fit with Baker.  Wonder if he may get more than a little consideration for HC

8 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Jim Harbaugh Said he’s not leaving Michigan but you never know with these guys. He could pull a Nick Sabin.

You never know.  You also have to keep in mind the only thing that counts in that program is beating OS and hes failed at that

My reason for not liking McCarthy is a little illogical but...no coach that has won a Super Bowl with 1 team has gone to a 2nd team and won another.  Eventually someone will do it but until it happens, it hasn’t happened.  I like the idea of having him here but I do wonder if Rodgers was the reason for his success.

31 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He’s 5-2 since he became HC. The Browns look like a different team with him and Kitchens in charge. The players and the fans have bought in. They’ve taken the step we want to take next year, from nowhere to .500. If you had to pick one team from the middle of the NFL pack to be a serious contender next year, they’re the one.

29 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I think he’s got the job and would be surprised if they don’t announce it right after the season ends. But I agree with your wanting him as DC. Heck, I’d take Kitchens with him. I love how they keep giving Mayfield the chance to take shots downfield.

1 hour ago, Persiussa said:

My reason for not liking McCarthy is a little illogical but...no coach that has won a Super Bowl with 1 team has gone to a 2nd team and won another.  Eventually someone will do it but until it happens, it hasn’t happened.  I like the idea of having him here but I do wonder if Rodgers was the reason for his success.

Interesting stat, but it wouldn’t stop me from hiring him. Then he can be the first coach to do it. ?

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And Sam would do well in that version of WCO

Yes. He would also do good to have one or four of those wide open(schemed) throws a game. I see other teams every week gettimg wide open throws for their QBs. Seems like all of Sams throws are like some sketchy midway game ran by crooked Carneys. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What has sean mcvay actually done?  He has an all world qb, an all world rb, an all world left tackle, 3 very good options at reciever etc.  Has put up great regular season stats but has won nothing.  And I have them as a one and done in the playoffs so it is going to be 2 years now hes done nothing in this league beside nice regular season stats.

Can we stop this false narrative that sean mcvay is some great coach.  Great coaches are made in january and feb.  

He's 22-7 the past 2 seasons for an organization that hadn't had a winning season in 13 years. In 2017 he had the second youngest team, in 2018 they are the 4th youngest team. Vegas had them at 6 wins in 2017 with projections by everybody of being worse.  They won 11 games. His All-World QB was a bust the year before. His all world HB was terrible the year before as well. Robert Woods was an average WR in Buffalo. He has made all of those players and many others much better. So the argument that he has great players so he's not a great head coach actually helps my argument since their greatness coincided with him taking over.

You're acting as though he inherited an established team which is really what your false narrative is. He completely changed a terrible organization around in one season. He's had 1 opportunity in the playoffs with the 2nd youngest team in the nfl and yes he lost but with the roster they have plus the QB he's turned Goff into they will have plenty of opportunities in the playoffs for the foreseeable future. And your projection of how you believe they'll be one and done this year means absolutely nothing. So what you're saying is that bc the Rams didn't win the Super Bowl last year that he's just a jag head coach? The Jets organization would be lucky to find themselves in a similar situation next year with a jag head coach like him.

The Jets should be following the Rams blueprint. Bring in an offensive guru as a head coach and let him develop Darnold and the other offensive players. The front office then uses every avenue to surround the young QB with talent and a strong offensive line while adding pieces to a young defense. That's the recipe for success while you have your QB on his rookie deal.

4 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

You a solid answer? Here's a simple one. A guy like McCarthy is set in his ways. He will continue to do things "his way". Even if it doesn't work.

It's the same problem Macc has. He thinks of himself as this great scout but none of his "finds" in the draft have panned out. 

Except Maccagnan hasn’t accomplished anything and McCarthy has rejuvenated Favres Career and been to 3 NFC title games as well as a Super Bowl.

Recent reports also have Ron Rivera possibly out in Carolina.  New owner wants to hire his own guy's.

It has been a while since Mcarthy has won, new team and fresh start with a young QB to mold could reenergize him.  The interesting thing is if Mike Pettine would come back to the Jets as his defensive coordinator.  He knows the building and calls a pretty good game. I'd be for it.  I would also keep our Special Teams Boyer who out of this season has shown growth as a young coach.

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

He’s 5-2 since he became HC. The Browns look like a different team with him and Kitchens in charge. The players and the fans have bought in. They’ve taken the step we want to take next year, from nowhere to .500. If you had to pick one team from the middle of the NFL pack to be a serious contender next year, they’re the one.

It would be hard to dump a coach who is winning for a team that has had 4 wins in 3 of the previous seasons

1 minute ago, MaxAF said:

It would be hard to dump a coach who is winning for a team that has had 4 wins in 3 of the previous seasons

Well said. This is the happiest that the fans have been in a while and something is FINALLY working. Why on earth would you risk the backlash of things going wrong? Keeping Williams seems like the ONLY move that they can make.

Sure they can move on in a year or 2 if it doesn’t workout but they have shown enough potential without him even having a full offseason with the team. I think they lucked out and need to stick with him. 

4 hours ago, Persiussa said:

If that’s the case we should have never hired Bill Parcells

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

Recent reports also have Ron Rivera possibly out in Carolina.  New owner wants to hire his own guy's.

It has been a while since Mcarthy has won, new team and fresh start with a young QB to mold could reenergize him.  The interesting thing is if Mike Pettine would come back to the Jets as his defensive coordinator.  He knows the building and calls a pretty good game. I'd be for it.  I would also keep our Special Teams Boyer who out of this season has shown growth as a young coach.

Perhaps McCarthy post Green Bay will be similar to Andy Reid 2.0.  Reid seemed to have worn out his welcome in Philly and it was said his offense had become stale. When a coach gets his second HC job in the NFL he doesn't have to learn on the job and can hit the ground running knowing exactly what he wants to accomplish and have a concrete idea as to how to do it. I'm starting to hope that Cleveland has no choice but to hire Williams. I'm convincing myself that Mike McCarthy 2.0 may very well be something special, especially if he doesn't have to compete with a QB's out sized ego.  

Oh, and I'm a firm no on Pettine. Although I think McCarthy would be less patient with his "unnamed source" ways than Rex was.

4 hours ago, Persiussa said:

Thats more because SB winning HCs dont often get dumped and move on to another team

And theres is a case where a HC has won a championship with one team and gone to another to win another championship.  Weeb did it when he won his championship with the Jets.

5 hours ago, Persiussa said:

Forget about different teams. Very few HCs have won a SB with a different QB. 

Belicheat/Brady; Noll/Bradshaw; Walsh/Montana; Johnson/Aikman; Lombardi/Starr; Landry/Staubach; Flores/Plunkett; Coughlin/Manning; and Shannahan/Elway won 24 Superbowls combined.

The only HCs to win SBs with different QBs are Joe Gibbs won with 3 different QB's; Parcells with 2; Shula with 2, and Seifert with 2.  Gibbs impressively won with Theisman, Doug Williams and Mark Rypien making him in my view the greatest coach of the SB era.

In the same vein, only Peyton Manning has won a SB as a QB with different teams. And I think only Montana (Walsh and Seifert) and Aikman (Johnson and Switzer) won with their teams even after the HC was swapped out.

So, it seems to me that based on the above, unless your team is coached by Joe Gibbs, the player at QB is a far greater determinative factor as to SB wins than who your HC is.

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Except Maccagnan hasn’t accomplished anything and McCarthy has rejuvenated Favres Career and been to 3 NFC title games as well as a Super Bow

Sorry kid but it's a what have you done for me lately world and McCarthy hasn't gotten it done lately. I do agree with you on Macc though so there's that.

Archived