early Carlos

any others?

Buck Dharma, B.O.C.

Derek Trucks

Jerry Garcia in the early days.

Clapton in the Cream era.

Garry Rossington of Skynyrd (Slide)

Duane Allman of the Bros (Slide)

Every Sludge-Stoner Rock Band ever, lol.

• Upvote 1

Warfish:  You're a Floyd devotee.  Just saw this and thought maybe you'd spring for Gilmour's black strat as your next guitar purchase.

This summer, David Gilmour will be auctioning more than 120 of his guitars, including many of his signature instruments. The most notable instrument in the lot is the Black Strat, the 1969 Fender that Gilmour bought at Manny’s in New York City and used to record everything from Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon to his recent solo recordings and touring, including his jaw-dropping performance in Pompeii. It’s expected to go for between $100,000 and $150,000. The instrument, with the many modifications Gilmour made to it, is so legendary that there’s a book devoted to it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/david-gilmour-guitar-auction-785547/

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Warfish:  You're a Floyd devotee.  Just saw this and thought maybe you'd spring for Gilmour's black strat as your next guitar purchase.

This summer, David Gilmour will be auctioning more than 120 of his guitars, including many of his signature instruments. The most notable instrument in the lot is the Black Strat, the 1969 Fender that Gilmour bought at Manny’s in New York City and used to record everything from Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon to his recent solo recordings and touring, including his jaw-dropping performance in Pompeii. It’s expected to go for between $100,000 and $150,000. The instrument, with the many modifications Gilmour made to it, is so legendary that there’s a book devoted to it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/david-gilmour-guitar-auction-785547/

Did they say anywhere what the original price of the black Strat was? Manny's (and Gracin's) had the best prices and I think that Strat's were going for about $125 back then and Teles for about $80. Maybe even less. Sounds low right? But who had $80 ??? Oh, plus the $1 for an Orange Julius on the corner because you had to think about it before you parted with what little money you had. 

BTW: I'll take the red one with the maple neck from sans-Waters end years of PF. I think it's an '84 version of a late 50's reissue modded with EMG's

Since you generously allowed WF the black one, which one are you going to take?

• Upvote 1

Sweet!  Best of luck with it!

I like SGs, but my inability to play keeps me trolling the low end.  I almost bought a white Epiphone SG just because it looked so great.  A kid in my friend's old band had and SG and dropped it.  They are so light the headstock broke off.  Kid's father just glued it back on and they continued to play shows at the usual clubs Pyramid Club, Brownies, the Knitting Factory, the Continental, the Mercury Lounge.  Nobody ever complained or noticed a change in the sound.  

I think I bought my American Standard tele at Manny's when I was on a job interview.  I was an early 90's model in Caribbean Mist that I picked up for $425 in the late 90's.  I saw it on the rack, picked it up, loved it and went out to call my friend (pre-cellphone I had to find quarters) who was more knowledgeable.  He didn't want to come out to 48th Street and ordered me to run back in and buy it even though I had no money.  I went back in and couldn't find it. They had seen me playing it and put it up on the wall display.  They wouldn't chop the price, but they couldn't find the case, so they gave me a brand new one.  I guess I did alright investment wise.  Due to my lack of time and talent, it is still almost new.  

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sweet!  Best of luck with it!

I like SGs, but my inability to play keeps me trolling the low end.  I almost bought a white Epiphone SG just because it looked so great.  A kid in my friend's old band had and SG and dropped it.  They are so light the headstock broke off.  Kid's father just glued it back on and they continued to play shows at the usual clubs Pyramid Club, Brownies, the Knitting Factory, the Continental, the Mercury Lounge.  Nobody ever complained or noticed a change in the sound.  

I think I bought my American Standard tele at Manny's when I was on a job interview.  I was an early 90's model in Caribbean Mist that I picked up for $425 in the late 90's.  I saw it on the rack, picked it up, loved it and went out to call my friend (pre-cellphone I had to find quarters) who was more knowledgeable.  He didn't want to come out to 48th Street and ordered me to run back in and buy it even though I had no money.  I went back in and couldn't find it. They had seen me playing it and put it up on the wall display.  They wouldn't chop the price, but they couldn't find the case, so they gave me a brand new one.  I guess I did alright investment wise.  Due to my lack of time and talent, it is still almost new.  

Let me be clear, I am more "collector" than "player".

As in I now own ~6 Guitars, and can't play literally a single song.  I love them, I lust for them, but I have literally less than no talent on them, nor the patience to really dedicate the required time to truly learn.

But I CAN power chord.  And for me, for now, thats enough. :)

Yeah, headstocks are a notorious SG problem, but I love the shape so very much.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Did they say anywhere what the original price of the black Strat was? Manny's (and Gracin's) had the best prices and I think that Strat's were going for about $125 back then and Teles for about $80. Maybe even less. Sounds low right? But who had $80 ??? Oh, plus the $1 for an Orange Julius on the corner because you had to think about it before you parted with what little money you had. 

BTW: I'll take the red one with the maple neck from sans-Waters end years of PF. I think it's an '84 version of a late 50's reissue modded with EMG's

I'm happy to let a real player have the iconic Black Strat.

I'll take this instead :)

086ae547bf00ca899ee77f04978fc974.jpg

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

They did not mention the original cost.   If I get a minute later, I'll look in a few spots.  But doubt I find it or that anyone but Gilmour really knows.

Not trying to be a contrarian, but I found the prices at Manny's a little high compared to my local music shop on Staten Island (Maino Music/not sure I remember the spelling correctly).  But we'd go to all the shops on 47th Street to dream/lust over all the new and used guitars and amps at least a couple times a month. 

My recollection of prices on Strats in the early 70s was somewhere around $200-250 new.  [I bought (actually my parents paid it on lay away) a new Precision bass (white with black pick guard and maple neck) for around $225 I think.]   But these were the CBS models.  The pre-CBS guitars, if you could find them, demanded a higher price even used.  Problem was that all the rock stars like Gilmour and Clapton would show up at Manny's and buy 10-15.   Nice to have money.

Your post got me thinking of my first electric guitar, which I got for Xmas when I was 9-10 years-old.  A Silvertone strat copy and amp from the Sears catalog.  Wish I had kept that POS.  Folks now actually look for those things, especially the pickups.  Who knew?

• Upvote 2

Here's the related Rolling Stone interview with Gilmour.  He does not mention the cost of the black Strat.

Let’s talk about the Black Strat. That has to be a hard one to say goodbye to.
You know something? For me, I can let go of it. It’s going to bring a lot of people to have a look at this sale, and it’s going to do that job. It’s a lovely guitar. It has been on pretty much all the Pink Floyd albums through the Seventies. It’s on Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall. I did my “Comfortably Numb” solo on it. The notes for the beginning of “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” fell out of it one day. It’s on so much stuff, but Fender have made replica ones that they sell, and I have two or three of those that are absolutely perfect. One of those might be my future guitar of choice or even, horror of horror, maybe I’ll even change the color.

What is the history of the Black Strat?
It’s a 1969 Strat, which I bought at Manny’s on 48th Street in New York in 1970. I have done dozens of modifications to it. I’ve changed the neck a couple of times. I’ve drilled holes in it and done all sorts of weird things to it. But the color is the one thing I’ve never changed. It was always black.

Since you modified it so much, when did you get the sound out of it that you wanted?
I change it then I change it back. I added a little switch in it so I could get a pickup configuration that you can’t get on a normal Strat, which is the neck and bridge pickup together. It’s something you can do on a two-pickup guitar. It has sort of the signature sound of a Fender Jazzmaster or a Jaguar.

What songs or solos can you hear that pickup configuration on?
You know something? That Jazzmaster sound was something I always craved and wanted to use, but I don’t think I’ve ever actually really used it on anything. It was experimenting, trying things out. It did what I wanted it to do: It achieved this different sound and, strangely, in the end I scarcely used it.

What else did you do to the guitar?
At one point I drilled a huge hole out of it and put an XLR socket in it, for some mad reason, which I then got rid of and refilled in again. All these little modifications. I shortened the tremolo arm on it because it suited the way I wanted to be playing a little bit better. I’ve used it as a workbench really for trying out all sorts of different things over the years.

You retired the Black Strat for part of the Eighties and the Nineties when you donated it to the Hard Rock Cafe. Why did you do that?
I bought one or two other guitars from Fender. I went to their warehouse here in England and tried out 20 Stratocasters, and I think I bought four to keep me covered for anything I might need. I think around the time of Live 8 in 2005, I thought I would go back to the Black Strat for a little while, and I got it back from the wall at the Hard Rock Cafe somewhere. I had lent it to them for a long time. I started using it again. I used it on my more recent solo albums.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/pink-floyd-david-gilmour-interview-guitar-charity-auction-779721/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Let me be clear, I am more "collector" than "player".

As in I now own ~6 Guitars, and can't play literally a single song.  I love them, I lust for them, but I have literally less than no talent on them, nor the patience to really dedicate the required time to truly learn.

But I CAN power chord.  And for me, for now, thats enough. :)

Yeah, headstocks are a notorious SG problem, but I love the shape so very much.  

We should form a band.  I think we are both in the DMV and sound like we are about the same skill level.  My son is 1, I will teach him to play the drums. 

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Not exactly an SG, but Pat Travers, one of my favorite players from the 70s/80s, used an Epiphone G-400.  It's their version of a 1962 Gibson SG.

Boom Boom Boom, out go the lights?  I saw him once at L'Amour's.  Loudness opened.  Imagine hearing "Thank you Brooklyn, good night!"  in the most stereotypical Asian accent you have ever heard.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We should form a band.  I think we are both in the DMV and sound like we are about the same skill level.  My son is 1, I will teach him to play the drums. 

Boom Boom Boom, out go the lights?  I saw him once at L'Amour's.  Loudness opened.  Imagine hearing "Thank you Brooklyn, good night!"  in the most stereotypical Asian accent you have ever heard.  

"Boom Boom..." is a classic.  A band I was in covered it.  How young is Pat here?  Geez.

EDIT:  Note that Nicko McBrain is the drummer at this point.

Sounds like a wild show.  Travers rocked.  At one point in the 80s he had the amazing Pat Thrall in a twin guitar attack and Tommy Aldridge (Ozzy's drummer later on) in his band.

I actually remember Loudness.  Big song was "Crazy Nights".  So typical of the Japanese to be so over the top with Western stuff.   And they also had really big hair.  lol

• Upvote 1

Just saw this nugget:

DALLAS – Tom Petty’s personally owned 1965 Gibson SG cherry electric guitar and iconic top hat — both famously used during his smash tour with Bob Dylan — make their auction debut July 21 at Heritage Auctions, with absentee and Internet live bidding through LiveAuctioneers. The guitar is the first instrument owned by Petty to be offered at auction since the singer/songwriter’s death last year and is estimated to bring more than $300,000.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/news/auctions/upcoming-auctions/auction-of-tom-pettys-cherished-guitar-to-aid-animal-rescue-las-midnight-mission/

big__DSC1277_3.jpg?v=1541193138

• Sympathy 1

• 5 months later...

Colts Owner Jim Irsay Paid $4 Million for David Gilmour’s ‘Black Strat’.  He's the one who cares about David Gilmour and Pink Floyd.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/jim-irsay-david-gilmour-black-strat-interview-852850/

On 6/25/2019 at 5:23 PM, SAR I said:

There are 18,000 PSL owners who write season ticket checks to the tune of about $5,000 to the Jets every April.

They are the ones who care about the Jets.

SAR I

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Colts Owner Jim Irsay Paid $4 Million for David Gilmour’s ‘Black Strat’.  He's the one who cares about David Gilmour and Pink Floyd.

He’s a bigger Pink Floyd fan than anyone who has seen them live 200 times that’s for sure. 

SAR I

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Went to the Les Paul factory in Memphis. 

Some gorgeous guitars and I don’t even play. Just piano.  

Color me jealous

They was always a rumor that brought a large cache of NOS 1960 standards when they moved from Michigan and are hiding them in Tennessee for VIP's. Didn't see then by any change did 'ya?  :) 

17 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Color me jealous

They was always a rumor that brought a large cache of NOS 1960 standards when they moved from Michigan and are hiding them in Tennessee for VIP's. Didn't see then by any change did 'ya?  :) 

No but the showroom was incredible. I almost bought one just as a piece of art.

And we did a tour of the actual factory which was cool seeing the process from end to end. 

• Sympathy 1

• 11 months later...
On 7/5/2019 at 1:26 PM, Peace Frog said:

Went to the Les Paul factory in Memphis. 

Some gorgeous guitars and I don’t even play. Just piano.  

This is me in that same Gibson factory in Memphis which to a guitar player is akin to being in Heaven Itself.616929731_ScreenShot2020-06-06at8_19_50AM.thumb.jpeg.2ec9291c9ec6e30f3a16b7adb45b84e0.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/6/2020 at 2:29 PM, nj meadowlands said:

In the market for a Les Paul with a 60's tapered neck, if anyone has one to sell.

Ive owned 2 gibson robots. They had the faster slimmer neck.

Also own a 76 sunburst lp custom, 93 standard and used to have a 74 goldtop with the thicker neck. 

Just wanna say dont discount the robot. For 900ish youre getting an ebony fretboard, block inlays, neck binding and etuners. These guitars play great. Nice quality and sound. People focus too mich on the tuning system and ignore how great they are. You can put rrgular tuners in but the etuners are AWSOME but finicky at times when charging

On 6/6/2020 at 2:29 PM, nj meadowlands said:

In the market for a Les Paul with a 60's tapered neck, if anyone has one to sell.

Have you checked out the LP Classic? 60's neck, good hardware, decent price (relatively). Just need to change the cheesy "1960" pickguard if it bothers you. Some folks change the PU's also but I love the ones on there. Hottest stock PU's that Gibson makes. some nice bursts too.