BELL TO GASE: "DON'T HOLD BACK"

flgreen

Le’Veon Bell tells Adam Gase ‘don’t hold back’ on using him in Jets season opener

New York Daily News |
Sep 04, 2019 | 11:50 AM 

Le’Veon Bell delivered a matter-of-fact message to Adam Gase this week in the run-up to his Jets debut: Don’t hold back.

The star running back will play his first game in nearly 20 months in the season opener against the Bills on Sunday, prompting inquiring minds to wonder about his usage after such a long la

“We’ll see how the game goes,” Gase said Wednesday. “I can’t predict how many plays we’re going to have. But I will say this: I spoke to him yesterday. He said, ‘Don’t hold back.’ So he feels like he’s ready to go. I think he’s pretty excited to get out there.”

Bell’s talent is undeniable, but it’s fair to question the wisdom of throwing him into the fire without restrictions given his time away from the game and Gase’s offensive philosophy of spreading the wealth. Although it’s fun to imagine the possibilities with Bell side-by-side with Sam Darnold, it would be dangerous to try to give Bell the same workload that we became accustomed to seeing in Pittsburgh when he averaged 25 touches per game in his first five seasons.

No amount of giddiness this week is going to make that reality with this coach and this team.

“He’s just excited to get out there,” Gase said. “He got a taste of it when we got that stadium practice (recently), where you could see that he was pretty juiced up. He has a good look about him right now. He looks like he’s excited to get to a gameday.”

Bell is a difference maker in the truest sense. He can beat you with his legs, his hands and his head. He is a terrific weapon that will undoubtedly improve one of the league’s most inept offenses from a year ago.

“Seeing him out on the field? I love it,” Gase said. “It’s going to be fun. It’s one thing to call plays in practice, but to know that you have him back there. Possibly going back and watching some Pittsburgh tape just to remind ourselves who that is back there. It’s a good feeling.”

Le'Veon Bell doesn't want the Jets hold back on using him in his first regular season game in nearly two years.
Le'Veon Bell doesn't want the Jets hold back on using him in his first regular season game in nearly two years. (Adam Hunger/AP)

Although Gase maintained that he hasn’t had a running back even close to Bell’s skillset — and he’s right about that — and that the player’s presence “just opens the whole (playbook) up, because he can do everything,” don’t fall into the trap if thinking this will be a all-Bell-all-the-time offense. That’s not going to happen.

Bell might be the headliner in Gase’s scheme, but he won’t dominate the touches. There’s virtually no chance that the three-time Pro Bowler will come close to the 406-touch campaign in his final year with the Steelers. Bell averaged a whopping 27 touches per game. That will be his career high when he ultimately decides to hang it up.

AdChoices
ADVERTISEMENT

Gase’s history with running backs reveals that Bell will be lucky to reach even 300 touches this season. Consider the touch leaders for Gase as an offensive play caller: Jay Ajayi topped running back touches in Gase’s offenses with 287. He was followed by a 30-year-old Matt Forte (262), C.J. Anderson (213), and Kenyan Drake (173 and 165). The average touches for the leading running back in Gase offenses: 233.5.

Most Read
  •  
  •  

Sure, Bell is a superior player than those players, but Gase isn’t going to radically alter his belief that you need to threaten opponents with four or five viable offensive options. In some ways, he views football through a basketball prism. A team with five legitimate scoring options is a perpetual nuisance to opposing coaches. Look no further than Gase’s most explosive offense with the Broncos during their historic run to the Super Bowl in 2013. Six different players had at least 60 receptions, including three topping 100 targets. Spreading it around is Gase’s core belief.

Although Gase didn’t truly want to sign Bell in free agency due to his schematic philosophy and roster-building belief that you don’t need to pay big money to running backs for his offense to succeed, he has shifted his focus to best utilizing this player with a varied skillset. Sure, Gase wasn’t thrilled with Bell skipping voluntary workouts this spring, but he’s been impressed with how his best offensive weapon hit the ground running from the start of training camp.

“He was ready to go,” Gase said. “When we started training camp, how fast he digested everything. He doesn’t make a lot of mistakes. He is football smart. He picks things up so fast. You tell him once, he’s got it… He’s in great shape when he got here. There’s not a lot of 6-2, 235-pound backs that run like him.”

Gase isn’t going to radically alter his offense, but it’ll be incumbent upon him not to waste this dynamic new piece to the puzzle.

NOTES:

Six players were named team captains for the season: C.J. Mosley, Jamal Adams, Sam Darnold, Kelvin Beachum, Steve McLendon and Rontez Miles.

Manish Mehta
Manish Mehta
New York Daily News

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

tl;dr + Mehta

That said, I hope he holds back.  As excited as I am to have Bell, he hasnt been hit in long time.  He should be part of the game plan but I think it should favor Montgomery.  Ease Bell in a bit.  Let him get his legs underneath him.  Then feed him like the beast he is.  They have luxury of not needing to force feed him first snap, take advantage of it.  And when it is time to unleash the beast, it will be a joyous occasion.  By far my favorite player to watch in the NFL and Sammy boy is handing/throwing him the rock?  Bonerpants time!!!

Unless Montgomery starts turning the ball over, I say he should get the lion's share early. Still should see Bell for 15 or so. There's worse things then having a fresh Bell in December 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, freestater said:

Unless Montgomery starts turning the ball over, I say he should get the lion's share early. Still should see Bell for 15 or so. There's worse things then having a fresh Bell in December 

Need Bell fresh for the Super Bowl.

What the hell are we doing here? Bell better be ready to go.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

How about letting him ease his way into the season. Especially against a top defense. 

You don’t pay a RB 15 million to ease him in vs a tough opponent you use him to help beat said tough opponent.  If that means 30 touches so be it.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

You don’t pay a RB 15 million to ease him in vs a tough opponent you use him to help beat said tough opponent.  If that means 30 touches so be it.

Agreed but I think I think the point is, you're hoping that's not what it takes.  Hence, easing him in.  I'm personally not saying he should have a pitch count but I dont see the harm in him not coming out and getting the entire first few series.  I think giving him a few series in rotation, getting him back in the groove is a logical way to handle a player who hasnt been hit in a few years. 

There is absolutely no way I would endorse Montgomery getting the Lions share unless it's not necessary to have Bell super involved because say hypothetically Sam is carving them up and it's a cruise to victory type win.  If we're battling in the 4th quarter, I damn well better hope Bell in there trying to make the game changing play.