If you care about PFF grades ...

BroadwayRay

I'm sort of amazed at the ripping of Darnold.  No, he didn't play well, but the OL is such a mess right now (and sure, it  will get better if the 5 starters can stay healthy and play together for a few weeks, but it'll probably never be a "good" line), and the game plan so uber timid that it is hard to fairly evaluate him. 

The fact that he didn't turn the ball over is actually rather impressive, but he also missed a few throws. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It has been said before but I was shocked they didn't roll Sam out. Was also shocked there wasn't a screen. With all the pressure that was coming right up the middle I was hoping for one of those inside screens (Powell's favorite play the last few years).

A few RPOs would have had Sam on a keeper running to the left for 25 freaking yards on those crashdowns the Bills were doing from the corner. 

1 minute ago, TheClashFan said:

I'm sort of amazed at the ripping of Darnold.  No, he didn't play well, but the OL is such a mess right now (and sure, it  will get better if the 5 starters can stay healthy and play together for a few weeks, but it'll probably never be a "good" line), and the game plan so uber timid that it is hard to fairly evaluate him. 

The fact that he didn't turn the ball over is actually rather impressive, but he also missed a few throws. 

Surprising actually.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Hey this is great, thanks for posting this.  Do you do this every week by chance?

The problem is I don't have the PFF subscription that provides the individual game grades for each week. That data costs a fortune. I was only able to do the game grades for week #1, but going forward, I'm only going to see the cumulative position grades on a week-to-week basis. But I'll be posting whatever I see as pertinent from PFF as the season goes on.

5 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This game falls on the defensive collapse - totally unacceptable.

No, it doesn't. If the offense can't stay on the field for any length of time, especially in the first game, when defensive personnel haven't played full games yet, it's on the offense.

If the offense gets FOUR turnovers from the defense and scores ZERO points off of them, that's on the offense, even if Sam Darnold plays QB.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:47 PM, BroadwayRay said:

Darnold was the 11th highest ranked QB (68.7). Among those ranking lower were Cousins (67.1), Rivers (65.3), Mayfield (64.9) and Rodgers (53.4). Josh Allen was 25th (52.3).

LeVeon Bell was the #4 RB - 78.9

CJ Mosley #9 LB - 81.0

Our OL ... in case you weren't aware, they're horrible. Winters was dead last among all NFL guards, at #59, with a grade of 44.2. Kalil was 6th worst in the NFL among centers, with a grade of 52. Osemele was just as bad at 55. Beachum and Shell amazingly scored average grades in the 60s.

And just to add, I rewatched every offensive snap and the offensive line truly did perform miserably. It seemed like at least one Bills defender had a clear path to Darnold on just about every drop back. We all saw how Oliver tossed Winters aside like a rag doll on one play. In a lot of cases, it was just screwed up blocking assignments, For example, one one play, Winters and Shell double teamed a defensive lineman, while Shell allowed a blitzing linebacker to scoot right past his right shoulder and right into Darnold. This type of thing happened repeatedly.

I'm  done with Winters man, he sucks donkey dyck. Dude is fairly young but still gets his butt kicked. Hope Joe brings in a couple good linemen in the 2020 draft.

• Upvote 1

It’s almost as if yesterday was the OL’s first game together as a unit while up against a solid DL. 

Thank you.

Were we not all talking about the fear of the OL having never played a snap together before the game? it’s like people are actually happy at taking weak shots at things like this.
I’m truly blown away by how delighted people seem to be about being “right” or just jumping into the lynch mob. It’s crazy.

Give these guys a chance. We literally watched their first plays as a unit on Sunday against one of the better D teams in the league.
And we were up 16-0 late in the game and lost by one. This isn’t what the browns looked like man.

It’s gross in here this week.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 9/10/2019 at 11:15 AM, Maxman said:

It has been said before but I was shocked they didn't roll Sam out. Was also shocked there wasn't a screen. With all the pressure that was coming right up the middle I was hoping for one of those inside screens (Powell's favorite play the last few years).

He's Adam Gase offensive genius but somehow was ranked worse than Jeremy Bates last year

4th quarter the genius decides to sit on a 6 point lead with 7 minutes left 

that 4th and 1 dive? Gutless play call and Bell bailed him out. 

i don't mind them losing games but it would be nice if the offense showed any creativity at all 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Give these guys a chance.  

It’s gross in here this week.

for the entire offseason they are running this hype campaign

buy a new jersey... JET UP MF'ER! 

people were legit thinking PLAYOFFS 

now it's "hey we all knew it would be a process" 

BS 

BS 

I think anyone with a somewhat realistic outlook would know that the concerns we had prior to the season (OL never playing a snap together, kalil getting into playing shape, the corner backs etc) were not unfounded.
I’m as positive as anyone and as disappointed as anyone as well. My point is that it’s going to take more than one game to come up with real solutions to actual issues.

Everyone was legitimately excited. Both fans ANd players. Then the OL couldn’t stop the rush and we all know what happened next.

The truth is that we were up 16-0 despite all of those issues. We don’t know how to hold on yet which is one of the sure fire symptoms of young teams. Knowing how to win. That’s not coming overnight man.

Let’s see how it goes over the next few weeks. I honestly see is realistically going 0-6 with some being very close games. That’s not far fetched. I can also see a serious run taking place after that. It is what it is. But the burning of everyones panties is pretty severe and I wish I could find it funny but i can’t. I find it sad and frustrating for some reason. I’d love to just have talks about constructive stuff without the pollution of who needs to get fired already.

Oh well.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

He's Adam Gase offensive genius but somehow was ranked worse than Jeremy Bates last year

4th quarter the genius decides to sit on a 6 point lead with 7 minutes left 

that 4th and 1 dive? Gutless play call and Bell bailed him out. 

i don't mind them losing games but it would be nice if the offense showed any creativity at all 

Amazing how the narrative has changed.... When you like the coach, coaching doesn't matter at all, its 100% about the players. When you dislike the coach, the coach sucks....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

BS 

The previous regime tried to make this a playoff roster, using the most ineffective means by which to do that:  Spending big FA money and draft capital on non-premium positions. 

The new regime always knew this would be a process.

I get the ripping of Gase.  He failed at his last stop and has had very few success stories with QB's for a guy advertised as a QB whisperer.  But this was always going to be a process.  That's what happens when you have 5 consecutive bad drafts.