California NCAA Legislation

msena88

College D1 athletes are professional athletes. Especially in football. I don’t see anything wrong with it. Some of these kids have been riding the pro or die train for a while and have long giving up on school as their ticket. Allowing them to earn money will give them access to better trainers in the offseason etc. 

The top guys are the ones that are going to get endorsements, etc

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s going to get dirty, even more than it is now.  

That's what I find laughable about the "Down with the corrupt NCAA" crowd.  While true that is a true potential consequence and one we should celebrate because they're corrupt.  The unfortunate truth, is the future state being proposed will be 1000000x more corrupt and dirty and 100% not have the kids best interest in mind. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

That's what I find laughable about the "Down with the corrupt NCAA" crowd.  While true that is a true potential consequence and one we should celebrate because they're corrupt.  The unfortunate truth, is the future state being proposed will be 1000000x more corrupt and dirty and 100% not have the kids best interest in mind. 

I don't get how people don't understand this aspect of it. This is not a reason for not paying them, but if you don't think having a bunch of college aged kids with a ton of money isn't going to lead to a lot of bad situations you're just not paying attention. Grown men, professional athletes get scammed routinely, best of luck to a 19 year old with $500K in cash available to be "invested".

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Yup. Said deals with athletes are only permitted "with entities approved by the State of California." What could possibly be unethical about that??

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

How else am I to interpret "people choosing where they want to play'. Sorry I used the word "pick".

Carry on.

That it would be a normal bilateral hiring relationship like any other, as opposed to whatever tortured misreading you had to do to end up at “there won’t be recruiting anymore.”

17 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

What's your experience, and the experiences of those you have spoken with personally?

Let’s just skip ahead to the good stuff: I’m not a college athlete, and my kids aren’t college athletes, so my opinion is worth less than yours, right?

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Agreed.  If anything this should maybe force the NCAA to loosen up some of its policies.  Giving a kid a plane ticket to fly home for a funeral shouldn’t be an “improper benefit”.  

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

It's funny, Boomer was asked basically this same thing this morning. He said, to paraphrase " if it were me, I'd take my entire Oline out every lady's night at our favorite bar and beers would be on me. All season long."  Thought that was a pretty cool answer.

Cool answer but trust me, athletes at major programs dont pay for anything already.  lol  I worked at the biggest sports bar in Gainesville.  If a player came in, there was a line of meat heads trying to pay their tab and they came in, every night. 

Cool answer, sure...but he's 1 guy and not all dudes think that way and I think there will be enough resentment, that those offers would be turned away.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

College sports is about to be ruined too.

NBA and NFL are garbage. 

So MLB?

I started watching Hockey.  Hoping that will stick.  The Islanders are good, I think. 

When you and C.J. have kids and they play sports be the funnest thing you ever get to watch. Whatever level too, from house basketball in elementary to collegiate football, nothing like watching your own kids play. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're laughing at it but this is the feeling of 95% of parents who kids play college athletics. 

T

That’s likely true. It’s probably a higher percentage. Most kids want to get into a D1 school for the scholarship.

Admittedly, i need to dive into what this all means and how they are going to benefit. But endorsements etc are likely only going to those highly ranked D1 athletes. That’s a small fraction of the small fraction of kids that get D1 scholarships.

Just now, The Crusher said:

When you and C.J. have kids and they play sports be the funnest thing you ever get to watch. Whatever level too, from house basketball in elementary to collegiate football, nothing like watching your own kids play. 

Agree one million percent.  It’s unlike watching any other sport you’ve ever watched.  

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

That it would be a normal bilateral hiring relationship like any other, as opposed to whatever tortured misreading you had to do to end up at “there won’t be recruiting anymore.”

How would this be normal?  Do your children currently graduate high school with a career agent telling what to do, where to go and how to invest their money? 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I bet! I love watching my nephew.  It's a blast!  

That said, my kids are growing up with golf clubs and surfboards.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Let’s just skip ahead to the good stuff: I’m not a college athlete, and my kids aren’t college athletes, so my opinion is worth less than yours, right?

Really, if all you are going to do is be snarky, I don't have time for you.

I never purported my experience being any other than my own. I do have relational experience with probably 40 other families (give or take) that have similar experiences and feelings. And yes, we do talk about such things. 

No one said that your opinion was worthless. You just misguided that. 

15 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

My son played hockey through high school.  Had a blast watching him, although as a parent, watching your kid play a contact sport is definitely stressful at times.  Can't remember a moment much more exciting than seeimg him score his first goal. 

On the other hand, my daughter bowled.  No stress, but spending 4-6 hours of a a college football Saturday watching a bunch of teenage girls bowling is far from the "funnest thing you ever get to watch". 

Loved watching my daughter and was very proud of her when she did well, but 5 girls to a lane.  Sometimes tournaments as many as 6 games.  Lunch break in the middle.  5 to 6 hours of my Saturday at the bowling alley.  Brutal.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

That’s likely true. It’s probably a higher percentage. Most kids want to get into a D1 school for the scholarship.

Admittedly, i need to dive into what this all means and how they are going to benefit. But endorsements etc are likely only going to those highly ranked D1 athletes. That’s a small fraction of the small fraction of kids that get D1 scholarships.

Exactly this.

But don't tell @dbatesman that these athletes are not being used and tortured.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

How would this be normal?  Do your children currently graduate high school with a career agent telling what to do, where to go and how to invest their money? 

Tennis players have agents much earlier. International soccer players are being recruiter much earlier.

The entertainment industry is a different beast. It’s not normal for kids with normal career paths. I’m sure all those teenage singers and actors have agents recommending them what to do.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  If anything this should maybe force the NCAA to loosen up some of its policies.  Giving a kid a plane ticket to fly home for a funeral shouldn’t be an “improper benefit”.  

The O'Bannan case was absolutely ruled correctly, from my opinion. The NCAA (and others) should not profit from using their likeness and name. 

The result of that though is that there are no more NCAA games. Although, I hear Flutie has just put one out.

29 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

MLB does have a form of the cap now. It is pretty punitive. It is why you are seeing the Yankees actually being somewhat conservative. It is why the Cubs said they have no more money to spend. It is why the Red Sox have to consider trading Mookie Betts. It is why your Nats have not gone nuts (or super nuts) on Harper and Rendon.

Aye, true enough.  It's better than it was, but it still allows for a wild disparity between clubs.  I've always been a fan of very hard caps for pro sports leagues.  It's literally the only topic I go full Communist on tbqh.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

On the other hand, my daughter bowled.  No stress, but spending 4-6 hours of a a college football Saturday watching a bunch of teenage girls bowling is far from the "funnest thing you ever get to watch". 

Loved watching my daughter and was very proud of her when she did well, but 5 girls to a lane.  Sometimes tournaments as many as 6 games.  Lunch break in the middle.  5 to 6 hours of my Saturday at the bowling alley.  Brutal.

Sounds miserable.  I've got a few buddies who's kids are into swimming.  Now that is a brutal day, summer Florida heat, outside in the sun no protection for 6-8 hour events only to wait for your kid to race once for 2 minutes.  lol  whoa

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Tennis players have agents much earlier. International soccer players are being recruiter much earlier.

The entertainment industry is a different beast. It’s not normal for kids with normal career paths. I’m sure all those teenage singers and actors have agents recommending them what to do.

Right and for everyone that has made it big, there a million more stories of how they had the wrong person guiding their career and they got took for everything only to never have a career past a audition or maybe a movie part or commercial.

International sh*t is crazy.  That's what I'm referring to about the stuff going on for the rights to a 12 year old in those countries.  It's like organized crime syndicates.  It's gnarly, cut-throat and the last thing they care about is their client. 

This is certainly a selfish take but there is also an element that after watching what has gone on in the NBA, what's currently gone in in the NFL with players very rarely sticking with the teams who drafted them, I don't want that same me first mentality to permeate into collegiate sports.

I don't begrudge anyone who wants to make as much money as they can, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it. I get there hasn't always been loyalty showed from owners towards players but as a fan, I like when my guys stay as my guys. And in college sports, I like when the players make it more about the team and university they represent rather than themselves. This is certainly not the case with plenty of players but you always hear stories of players who attend a university because that's where their brother and father and grandfather went. To see that maybe go away because another school may open up more lucrative marketing opportunities? Just sucks that everything always has to be all about money.

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

My son played hockey through high school.  Had a blast watching him, although as a parent, watching your kid play a contact sport is definitely stressful at times.  Can't remember a moment much more exciting than seeimg him score his first goal. 

My daughter did gymnastics from an early age and those competitions were brutal as well.  An entire Sunday to watch what equates to maybe 10 minutes of actual action from my daughter.  Don’t miss those days.  Now it’s cheer in the fall and lacrosse in the spring.  

Watching my son play football and baseball was just an awesome experience.  Can’t wait to go through it all again with my grandchildren one day.  

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

My daughter did gymnastics from an early age and those competitions were brutal as well.  An entire Sunday to watch what equates to maybe 10 minutes of actual action from my daughter.  Don’t miss those days.  Now it’s cheer in the fall and lacrosse in the spring.  

Watching my son play football and baseball was just an awesome experience.  Can’t wait to go through it all again with my grandchildren one day.  

Baseball is no walk in the park either. 8 years of travel ball. On championship days, you sometimes have to play 4 games. With times in between. We had championships, in the Northeast, in March, playing out 10pm. I recall our right fielder pissing in his pants in the field just to stay warm.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Baseball is no walk in the park either. 8 years of travel ball. On championship days, you sometimes have to play 4 games. With times in between. We had championships, in the Northeast, in March, playing out 10pm. I recall our right fielder pissing in his pants in the field just to stay warm.

Fall tournaments weren’t any fun either.  Baseball is the worst when it’s cold, the entire game changes.  It was fun though, I couldn’t imagine what it would feel like to see your child play professionally.  My cousin was drafted by the Twins out of high school and played for 4 years in the minors, my uncle was taking road trips every week.  I think I was way more nervous than my son though....Lol

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sounds miserable.  I've got a few buddies who's kids are into swimming.  Now that is a brutal day, summer Florida heat, outside in the sun no protection for 6-8 hour events only to wait for your kid to race once for 2 minutes.  lol  whoa

Things we do for our kids.  Know we will be bored silly, but still woulnd't miss these things for the world..  Weather is one thing I never had to contend with -- consdiering both kids played indoor sports.