Insanity coaching

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I don't know who said it, nor do I care. Some people say it was Einstein, but I'm not concerned about who said it as much as I care about the sentiment.

I have watched team after team, in various sports trot out the same guys, and call the same plays regardless of whether or not they are succeeding. If your game plan isn't working, why not throw caution to the wind and try something completely different? Let's use last night as an example. Whatever we were doing wasn't working, but it seemed to me that Gase made no major adjustments. I'll admit that I was pounding my keyboard on JN while watching the game, so I may have missed any adjustments. What stops a head coach from dialing up plays that might accidentally catch the defense off guard? How about a flea flicker? Why not an end around? Double reverse? Put a full back into the game. Go with a three tight end set. Option pass. Naked bootleg. Rollout. Designed QB run. Anything other than what we were doing that was resulting in oogatz. Do SOMETHING, even if it's wrong. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I think last night was one of those nights where whatever Gase called was going to get blown up because they could not figure out New England's blitzes.

If anything they should have thrown an extra TE in there or something just to give Darnold most than half a second.

An extra tight end or maybe even a two RB set. One could always release. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, shawn306 said:
12 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

On one of Darnold’s interceptions we had a two tight end set and Bell in to block... but yeah sure.

If anything they should have thrown an extra TE in there or something just to give Darnold most than half a second.

this 

everytime they kept in a man to block, belly sent 1 extra

Sam Darnold crapped his bed last night 

but dont worry i'm sure no one saw it 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

On one of Darnold’s interceptions we had a two tight end set and Bell in to block... but yeah sure.

Like I said in my original post, I may have missed adjustments or certain plays. It's not the point. Doing the same tired thing over and over with the same result was the point. Trying something different is the point.

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Like I said in my original post, I may have missed adjustments or certain plays. It's not the point. Doing the same tired thing over and over with the same result was the point. Trying something different is the point.

But something different was happening. They tried and kept failing. It’s simply 2 things 1) the Pats have an insane secondary 2) Sam was overwhelmed. Everything new was squashed because Sam couldn’t keep his head about water. He has to bounce back against the Jags or we’re searching for new QB.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

But something different was happening. They tried and kept failing. It’s simply 2 things 1) the Pats have an insane secondary 2) Sam was overwhelmed. Everything new was squashed because Sam couldn’t keep his head about water. He has to bounce back against the Jags or we’re searching for new QB.

Give examples of what they tried. Handing off to Bell on first down?

46 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I think last night was one of those nights where whatever Gase called was going to get blown up because they could not figure out New England's blitzes.

how about a screen pass?

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

how about a screen pass?

Dude. If they didn't try it last night, add it to the list. A wildcat formation with the punter snapping the ball to the long snapper while Darnold does the robot would have yielded the same, if not better result than the garbage we saw last night.

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Give examples of what they tried. Handing off to Bell on first down?

We went max protect and Darnold threw a pick. The team spread out and Sam threw a pick. WR screens those didn’t work. Throws to players out of the backfield, Sam stares down the receiver and almost got picked. Short throws to the outside, Sam just missed. Bilal Powell in the backfield with Bell at WR, that had minimal gains. 
The team had 3 red zone trips and 0 points to show for it, oh and on fourth down Robby was wide open and Sam missed him. 
The coaches job was to get people open, they were open. The coaches job was to give the QB options, he had them. The coach switched from max protect to power run, to spread and they failed even when they had the win downfield or at the LOS.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The team had 3 red zone trips and 0 points to show for it, oh and on fourth down Robby was wide open and Sam missed him. 
The coaches job was to get people open, they were open. The coaches job was to give the QB options, he had them. The coach switched from max protect to power run, to spread and they failed even when they had the win downfield or at the LOS.

but there were no fumblerooskis and double reverses and flea flickers to trick Belichiks undisciplined D...

you cant make the blind see. 

FREE ROBBY!!!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

We went max protect and Darnold threw a pick. The team spread out and Sam threw a pick. WR screens those didn’t work. Throws to players out of the backfield, Sam stares down the receiver and almost got picked. Short throws to the outside, Sam just missed. Bilal Powell in the backfield with Bell at WR, that had minimal gains. 

Sounds like a normal offense with uncreative adjustments. How about a slant? A shuffle pass. Direct snap to a RB. A silly ass gadget play. Not sure how running on first down was trying something different. Pats D never had to guess.

So...let me get this straight..offensive genius is doing the same plays over and over that get blown up, but because you tried something different and that failed 1 time then you should not try something else and stick to the original stuff that definitely isn't working...

No wonder you people like Gase so much.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Gase was actually on microphone and they got him telling Darnold to NOT do anything other than the game plan and to stick to what they planned no matter what.

The message was NOT to improvise and do anything crazy.  Darnold had lanes to run when the pressure was on but chose, every time, to float the ball into the heavens. 

Gase sucks.  And this is the first time I have ever said this.

Seriously? This is true. I would fire him on the spot for that. Improvization and throwing on the run are Darnold's biggest strengths.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Sounds like a normal offense with uncreative adjustments. How about a slant? A shuffle pass. Direct snap to a RB. A silly ass gadget play. Not sure how running on first down was trying something different. Pats D never had to guess.

So your answer to yesterday’s debacle was to go to the wild cat?

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

but there were no fumblerooskis and double reverses and flea flickers to trick Belichiks undisciplined D...

you cant make the blind see. 

FREE ROBBY!!!

Nobody has EVER outsmarted Belichick, right? An awful Dolphins team embarrassed the juggernaut Patriots who had won 21 in a row. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolphins/post/_/id/28295/wildcat-strike-how-2008-dolphins-shocked-patriots-and-the-nfl

Sometimes even the great ones fall to the banana in the tailpipe trick. 

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Seriously? This is true. I would fire him on the spot for that. Improvization and throwing on the run are Darnold's biggest strengths.

Yes.  You can see and hear it if you know anyone who recorded the game.  It was during a break and they showed it after commercial.  He was trying to be reassuring, but what came out of his mouth was to the affect of  "don't improvise".  

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Yes.  You can see and hear it if you know anyone who recorded the game.  It was during a break and they showed it after commercial.  He was trying to be reassuring, but what came out of his mouth was to the affect of  "don't improvise".  

Lol what... he tells Darnold to keep this head up and that if we score here we get the ball back to start the second half and go from there. Literally the only way you hear “don’t improvise” is if you’re trying to make it say “don’t improvise”

5 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

great ones fall to the banana in the tailpipe trick.

pts for old ass Eddie Murphy quote.

but, pointing out the statistical anomaly doesnt help your case.

and this aint to defend Gase. I DGAF about Gase...one way or the other

the fact that we have one of the worst OLs in the league AGAIN and a new QB who AGAIN just sucked balls

is my concern....

(that Phins team had an OL that could actually BLOCK)

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

No. Is that what you think? I'll ask again. What stops a head coach from dialing up plays that might accidentally catch the defense off guard?

Remember when we ran the wildcat against the Eagles? That was a less good defense then what we faced yesterday. A gimmick might get you a first down but the problem wasn’t 1 play, we were gonna lose or win on Darnold’s arm. That’s the sustainable vision and getting 8 yards on 1 play wasn’t gonna alter the result.

There isn’t one answer just like it’s lazy for people to blame either Gase or Sam.  It’s a combination of both and I personally blame Gase a lot more then Sam. 

Forget the wildcat but what about any of these options to combat a defense that is playing exclusively man coverage and sending 6 or 7 rushers each play   

1.  An actual RB screen.  Not a bubble screen but send the receivers downfield, let the rush come and get the ball to Le’Veon. 

2.  A slant. Why don’t we have that pattern in our offense.  

3.  A read option where sam keeps the ball (3 games and we haven’t run that once even though Gase gained 50 yards against the jets with it in the opener last year. 

4.  A back shoulder pass.  Quick throw, works vs man coverage. 

Any of these plays would have at least had the defense consider not blitzing.  Yet we didn’t do any of them.  How many times did we have 5 lineman, 3 man bunch out wide and Le’Veon in the backfield?  Did that ever actually work?

Going “max protect” isn’t the solution vs a blitz like BB was running 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Remember when we ran the wildcat against the Eagles? That was a less good defense then what we faced yesterday. A gimmick might get you a first down but the problem wasn’t 1 play, we were gonna lose or win on Darnold’s arm. That’s the sustainable vision and getting 8 yards on 1 play wasn’t gonna alter the result.

Remember the Alamo? I didn't say that the wild cat was the answer. You did.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

There isn’t one answer just like it’s lazy for people to blame either Gase or Sam.  It’s a combination of both and I personally blame Gase a lot more then Sam. 

Forget the wildcat but what about any of these options to combat a defense that is playing exclusively man coverage and sending 6 or 7 rushers each play   

1.  An actual RB screen.  Not a bubble screen but send the receivers downfield, let the rush come and get the ball to Le’Veon. 

2.  A slant. Why don’t we have that pattern in our offense.  

3.  A read option where sam keeps the ball (3 games and we haven’t run that once even though Gase gained 50 yards against the jets with it in the opener last year. 

4.  A back shoulder pass.  Quick throw, works vs man coverage. 

Any of these plays would have at least had the defense consider not blitzing.  Yet we didn’t do any of them.  How many times did we have 5 lineman, 3 man bunch out wide and Le’Veon in the backfield?  Did that ever actually work?

Going “max protect” isn’t the solution vs a blitz like BB was running 

I can agree with most of this. However, I’m gonna put more blame on Darnold because enough players were open when Darnold threw ints and he clearly couldn’t identify the blitzer.
The slant thing seems obvious and I haven’t rewatched the game yet so I can’t see what was being run by receivers. The middle was open and if we never ran routes into the middle that’s on the coaching.