Abe For Rivers...again?

GREENSMACKS

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports the New York Jets could once again slap the franchise tag on DE John Abraham in 2006. The team and Abraham's representatives have had no discussions about a long-term contract since the 2005 season ended. "The Jets said they would take care of John if he stayed healthy but there have been no talks," said a person with knowledge of the situation. "John's camp feels that the Jets have lied to him and it's personal. They feel general manager Terry Bradway and (assistant GM) Mike Tannenbaum just don't like John. They didn't draft him, and they just don't think he's a great player and they don't want to pay him." If the Jets slap Abraham with the franchise tag, they may try to trade him and one destination could be San Diego in a deal for QB Philip Rivers, if the Chargers decide to trade Rivers.

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports the New York Jets could once again slap the franchise tag on DE John Abraham in 2006. The team and Abraham's representatives have had no discussions about a long-term contract since the 2005 season ended. "The Jets said they would take care of John if he stayed healthy but there have been no talks," said a person with knowledge of the situation. "John's camp feels that the Jets have lied to him and it's personal. They feel general manager Terry Bradway and (assistant GM) Mike Tannenbaum just don't like John. They didn't draft him, and they just don't think he's a great player and they don't want to pay him." If the Jets slap Abraham with the franchise tag, they may try to trade him and one destination could be San Diego in a deal for QB Philip Rivers, if the Chargers decide to trade Rivers.

The thing that concerns me is San Diego telling Bradway they want to trade #1's, so they can grab Cutler or Young. There is no way San Diego is going to trade Rivers while Brees remains a question mark. Unless they think Rivers isn't starter material.

I'd rather the Jets try to work out a deal with the Falcons for Schaub.

I can see Bradway getting totally pantsed (AGAIN) on this.

The thing that concerns me is San Diego telling Bradway they want to trade #1's, so they can grab Cutler or Young. There is no way San Diego is going to trade Rivers while Brees remains a question mark. Unless they think Rivers isn't starter material.

I'd rather the Jets try to work out a deal with the Falcons for Schaub.

I can see Bradway getting totally pantsed (AGAIN) on this.

I absolutely agree. SCHAUB will be a much better QB over the long haul. He is ready to burst upon the scene ina big way. Nice arm, decent mobility but an excellent WCO-type QB!

# 8 Matt Schaub

Position: QB

Height: 6-5

Weight: 237

Born: 06/25/1981

College: Virginia

NFL Experience: 2

Career Stats | Game Logs: 01 02 03 04 05 | Situational Stats | Team Roster

PASSING

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

2004 Atlanta Falcons 6 1 70 33 47.1 330 4.71 59 1 4 4/14 2 1 42.0

2005 Atlanta Falcons 16 1 64 33 51.6 495 7.73 53 4 0 6/27 6 2 98.1

TOTAL 22 2 134 66 49.3 825 6.16 59 5 4 10/41 8 3 68.8

RUSHING

Year Team G GS Att Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ FD

2004 Atlanta Falcons 6 1 8 26 3.3 11 0 0 2

2005 Atlanta Falcons 16 1 9 76 8.4 23 0 2 5

TOTAL 22 2 17 102 6.0 23 0 2 7

FUMBLES

Year Team G Fum Lost Fum Forced Own Rec Opp Rec Yards Tot Rec TD

2004 Atlanta Falcons 6 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2005 Atlanta Falcons 16 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0

TOTAL 22 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Nope I dont... You can find a decent qb without JA help.... It is ridiculous to give up a top rusher for healthy and unproven qb and still face many problems inside the Jets... Be smart.. use JA to cut off 2 or 3 problems not ONE...

If Jets are in great shape and only qb that is an issue then I am up to that.. Sorry.

i am pretty sure they traded lemon to the dolphins last season

ah crap, then i am out of question...... That means Chargers will never trade Rivers again unless Brees gets a new deal...

Hard to believe,,,, Chargers had indicated that they were high on Lemon to suprass Rivers as number 2 qb into last season and they traded him away... How interesting.... My apologies.

February 7, 2006 12:47 PM ET

Jets: Rivers a trade target

The News

If the Jets decide to designate John Abraham as the team's franchise player, they might be looking into trading the Pro-Bowl sack artist. The Newark Star-Ledger reported Tuesday that the Jets could be interested in acquiring quarterback Philip Rivers from San Diego in a deal involving Abraham.

Our View

Abraham has been unhappy with the Jets refusal to offer him a long-term contract and would likely welcome a change of scenery. With Chad Pennington's health problems the Jets are looking to improve their talent at quarterback and Rivers has a good rapport with new Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who had been the quarterbacks coach in San Diego. We should know more about the possibility of this deal once the Jets announce their franchise player later in February.

This would be horrible. You do not trade a proven multiple-time Pro Bowler for a guy that could be Tim Couch or Rick Mirer for all we know.

I just do not like Rivers at all. He didn't look so hot against Denver and he even showed what an immature jerk he is by getting a personal foul after being intercepted. If we are dead-set on a guy with a stupid throwing motion, I'd rather have Vince Young.

I would rather have neither.

How about you slap Abraham with the franchise tag and KEEP HIM unless Kansas City, San Diego or somebody else is willing to give up 2 1st round picks or a 1st round pick & a 2nd rounder. Other then that...you slap the tag on him and keep him.

Phillip Rivers' Arm < Chad Pennington's Arm

I wouldn't be totally upset if we picked up Schaub...but no more then a 3rd rounder for him....2nd MAYBE...and definitely not giving up Abe for him.

I still dont get it... Rivers for Vilma and Rivers for JA?

Chargers play 3-4 scheme... I dont see either Jet defensive player can play 3-4 nicely... Forgive me for thinking less of Vilma and JA in 3-4 scheme.

Do Chargers plan to switch back to boring 4-3 scheme? or what?

Rivers woyuld fit the Brady clone model to a T.

Coaches kid, knows the XsOs , not just a athlelete,,

Low mistake threashold, nows how to eat ball or throw out of bounds, has the escape ability u see in hasselbeck due to size,,,

a perfect fit for mangini type system,,,

Rivers woyuld fit the Brady clone model to a T.

Coaches kid, knows the XsOs , not just a athlelete,,

Low mistake threashold, nows how to eat ball or throw out of bounds, has the escape ability u see in hasselbeck due to size,,,

a perfect fit for mangini type system,,,

ALthough his name pops everyday, I still dont know him very well... Is he mobile? The reason I ask is his arm delievery is suspect and he needs to get out of the pocket to find a more room for him to make a solid throw....

ALthough his name pops everyday, I still dont know him very well... Is he mobile? The reason I ask is his arm delievery is suspect and he needs to get out of the pocket to find a more room for him to make a solid throw....

he is 6'5"

moves great in pocket, throws on the run, very strong arm,,ha sthat uncanny ability to move a half step or so to create a seam

Rivers was the second highest touted QB in regards to Eli and Big Ben the year he was drafted. It was not that long ago when 1st round QB's sat on the bench for 2 years to learn in the NFL. Today's game demands immediate results which is why you see so many rookie QB's being thrusted out on the field. Rivers would have started for them had Brees not suddenly figure out the game in his, you guessed it, 3rd year. This put SD in a quandry since they now had a young QB who was jelling and an even younger QB on the bench. They opted to give Brees one more chance which he deserved and it turns out Brees has finally gotten it in the NFL which makes Rivers expendable.

By making this trade we now get a QB who has had his 2 years learning in the NFL, and even better he learned from our new OC so there is familiarity. If Rivers is going to succeed in the NFL, his best shot is with us. 2 years ago we would have salivated over the prospect of drafting this kid had we known what would happen to Chad. It should be no different today.

We will still have the #4 pick overall, and by all accounts it will be quite a valuable pick considering that Bush, Leinart, Young, Cutler, D'Brick, and Ngata are all highly sought after draftees. I think (if we get Rivers) the most obvious thing that is going on is we will now trade down from the 4th overall and stock up on OL and D. This trade give us a chance to be competitive this coming year, and efinately next year. A rookie QB likely doesn't pan out for us until 2008. I think this is a very smart deal with alot of foresight if it happens.

Rivers was the second highest touted QB in regards to Eli and Big Ben the year he was drafted. It was not that long ago when 1st round QB's sat on the bench for 2 years to learn in the NFL. Today's game demands immediate results which is why you see so many rookie QB's being thrusted out on the field. Rivers would have started for them had Brees not suddenly figure out the game in his, you guessed it, 3rd year. This put SD in a quandry since they now had a young QB who was jelling and an even younger QB on the bench. They opted to give Brees one more chance which he deserved and it turns out Brees has finally gotten it in the NFL which makes Rivers expendable.

By making this trade we now get a QB who has had his 2 years learning in the NFL, and even better he learned from our new OC so there is familiarity. If Rivers is going to succeed in the NFL, his best shot is with us. 2 years ago we would have salivated over the prospect of drafting this kid had we known what would happen to Chad. It should be no different today.

We will still have the #4 pick overall, and by all accounts it will be quite a valuable pick considering that Bush, Leinart, Young, Cutler, D'Brick, and Ngata are all highly sought after draftees. I think (if we get Rivers) the most obvious thing that is going on is we will now trade down from the 4th overall and stock up on OL and D. This trade give us a chance to be competitive this coming year, and efinately next year. A rookie QB likely doesn't pan out for us until 2008. I think this is a very smart deal with alot of foresight if it happens.

wow, very well said,,,

What about Rivers arm..The one time I saw him it looked Very weak...

Imagine a scenario where we aquired a Rivers or Schaub...

Traded down from 4 to middle round 1...drafted Lendale White.

Traded abe for a first rounder and drafted Eric Winston...

I'd even grab Croyle in rd 2!

his arm is very strong, some of hi sthrows look weak when he floats over opposition,, almost looks like those unitas ducks over a LB,,,not a;ll QBs can make those throws

So we have acquired a QB that hasn't proven anything and then reached on Croyle in the 2nd? How many QBs does this team need? Yet, I suppose we would have a need for all of those QBs as we have no one to protect them.

Archived