Jets String Of Luck WIth Centers Ends...

THE BARON

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

We drafted Chuma in the third round this year.

Before that, Dakota Dozier in the 4th round in 2014

Before that Vlad Ducasse in the 2nd round in 2010.

We have picked three players in the top four rounds on OL in a decade.

And we wonder why our line SUCKS.

wasn't winters a 3rd rounder?

33 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Many would agree.

It'll be another year complaining about the same nonsense. How we need an Oline for Sam's development only to wait until the 3rd round yet again. 

Jetsy

There may be a few veterans that are still quality in FA next year like trent Williams or schreff that will hold over the line for a few years.. Jets are in a bad place but it is fixable... 2nd round edge might be a waste and should be a OL... But overall if they can't get young... Or Thomas... Jeudy is a great consulation and a weapon that Sam needs... 

On 11/11/2019 at 7:16 PM, THE BARON said:

From Joe Fields to Jim Sweeney to Kevin Mawae to Nick Mangold to...  

The Jets have had a long line of excellent centers.  Looks like their luck has run out...

Just so you realize between fields and Sweeney there was a year of guy Bingham... 

Between Sweeney and Mawae was 3 years of Dixon and Duffy... 

Between Mawae and mangold there was a year of Kendall.... 

Point is, its not that the Jets went from great center to great center... There were struggling years in between each

18 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

There may be a few veterans that are still quality in FA next year like trent Williams or schreff that will hold over the line for a few years.. Jets are in a bad place but it is fixable... 2nd round edge might be a waste and should be a OL... But overall if they can't get young... Or Thomas... Jeudy is a great consulation and a weapon that Sam needs... 

Like Trent Williams, a guy who hasnt played a full season since 2013?

How about this? Sign Scherff and still invest you high draft picks in the Oline and pick up a WR in FA?

You know, this is how we ruin QB's time after time. The Jets refuse to do what is necessary.

10 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Like Trent Williams, a guy who hasnt played a full season since 2013?

How about this? Sign Scherff and still invest you high draft picks in the Oline and pick up a WR in FA?

You know, this is how we ruin QB's time after time. The Jets refuse to do what is necessary.

No what you don't understand is you don't need to draft lineman in the first you just have to draft lineman... Years and years of not drafting lineman, period got the jets here... Not because they didn't spend a top 5 pick on one... Now the overreaction of the fan base is the need to draft an oline 1st... Which may happen depending on where they fall in the draft... But in my humble opinion you don't pass on jeudy,  Thomas or young.. Thomas would be the only one you agree with... But you cannot draft top tier edge talent outside the top 10... It happens but it's extremely rare... You can draft HOF lineman outside the first round.. Although also rare... Quality dips heavily in edge rushers but far less in oline... 

We can agree to disagree here, but I am not overreacting to the terrible year of oline play with an absolute of drafting an oline in the first... For example look how much raiders line improved by getting trent brown but they still drafted an edge rusher in the top of the first... That oline is now one of the best in the league... 

3 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Just so you realize between fields and Sweeney there was a year of guy Bingham... 

Between Sweeney and Mawae was 3 years of Dixon and Duffy... 

Between Mawae and mangold there was a year of Kendall.... 

Point is, its not that the Jets went from great center to great center... There were struggling years in between each

Yes. 4-5 years without one of the centers I mentioned over a time period of 50+ years.  Schmidt was on the roster from 1964-1973. 9 years. Joe Fields 75-87. 12 years. Jim Sweeney. 84-94.  9 years.  Mawae  98-2005. 7 years. Mangold.  2006-2016. 10 years.  The Jets have had a string of great centers.  Not just excellent players, but incredibly durable and dependable with long tenures. 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Yes. 4-5 years without one of the centers I mentioned over a time period of 50+ years.  Schmidt was on the roster from 1964-1973. 9 years. Joe Fields 75-87. 12 years. Jim Sweeney. 84-94.  9 years.  Mawae  98-2005. 7 years. Mangold.  2006-2016. 10 years.  The Jets have had a string of great centers.  Not just excellent players, but incredibly durable and dependable with long tenures. 

OK... So it's not over... They just need the next one... It's not like they have paid one or drafted one yet that has failed... They just simply punted the position 

2 hours ago, Skeptable said:

OK... So it's not over... They just need the next one... It's not like they have paid one or drafted one yet that has failed... They just simply punted the position 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  You don't need the early rounds of the draft either to man the center of the o-line with pro-bowlers.  Just really good scouting.  Dan Alexander (round 8 ).  Brandon Moore (undrafted FA) Randy Rasmussen (round 12) Joe Fields ( round 14) Dave Herman (round 8 ) 

• Upvote 2

On 11/12/2019 at 2:07 AM, jetsons said:

If the Jets are looking for a Center in the upcoming draft, I really like this guy... He's like a brick wall... 

I watched some highlights and read a few scouting reports.  If he works out the way the "experts" predict, he'll be very good in the running game, but possibly deficient in the passing game.  Not very athletic even by o-line standards and he has a short reach.  I think you can make up for a short reach on the inside of the line if you are agile, but he seems to be lacking both wingspan and agility.  Who knows, though... 

7 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I watched some highlights and read a few scouting reports.  If he works out the way the "experts" predict, he'll be very good in the running game, but possibly deficient in the passing game.  Not very athletic even by o-line standards and he has a short reach.  I think you can make up for a short reach on the inside of the line if you are agile, but he seems to be lacking both wingspan and agility.  Who knows, though... 

I’d don’t see it if we keep this zone blocking scheme.