2020 Draft Will Douglas End the Madness

Rob123

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The vast majority of the fans on this board will love him for it and tell me how stupid I am as it taking the run stopping DT was his only real choice.  It's the pick he had to make - after all he was the best player available, maybe the best player in the whole draft.

And then I'll be told that the offensive lineman taken at 10 - which would be our 10 year LT, would have been too much of a reach. 

Absurd...really is.

I don't know if I can find the link but one article was specifically how the Jets overvalue the DT position more than any other team.  I do disagree regarding reaching for an OL guy.  I say do not reach at all- trade  down to recoup a pick they could have used and then take the 10 year tackle when it is not a reach.  In the position the Jets were in they should have done this and grabbed a receiver with that extra pick.  Think about it- do you mean to tell me there was not one team willing to give the Jets a second or 3rd rounder to move up to the 3rd spot in the draft.

The problem was Maccagnan felt you could piece together an offensive line from spare parts and truly over valued the DT position.

I said it on another post.  Quinnen Williams is a bust.  The number 3 pick in the draft should immediately contribute.  He is not just going to turn it on over night.  He may turn into a very good player, just not one worthy of the number 3 pick when the Jets really should have traded down.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Douglas has a lay-up offseason ahead, really. All he has to do is load up on OL and add a professional CB and edge rusher, all of which are attainable with the resources at hand. His one big make or break call is whether or not to trade Jamal Adams, but even that has no urgency attached to it—Adams can’t force his hand, and Douglas doesn’t have to extend him for another year, at minimum. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas has a lay-up offseason ahead, really. All he has to do is load up on OL and add a professional CB and edge rusher, all of which are attainable with the resources at hand. His one big make or break call is whether or not to trade Jamal Adams, but even that has no urgency attached to it—Adams can’t force his hand, and Douglas doesn’t have to extend him for another year, at minimum. 

He only needs to pick up a OT, OG, C, OG and oline depth, a passrusher that’s not a SS, at least one CB, WR and LB depth depending on injury. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I agree- and this is what scares me.  It is a pretty basic shopping list and if the Jets do this, add it to what will likely be a weak schedule and they could surprise some people.  In the past guys have tried to get too cute and this is where the problems come in.

Think about last year.  Look at the state of the team.  Why didn't McCagnan trade down?  The line is a wreck and Williams a disappointment.  If they traded down and picked up a second rounder- which was really the way to go think about what they could have done?  They take an OL guy- a center in the first, they can grab Greedy Williams in the second and they take a receiver instead of Polite in the 3rd- or use that pick to trade up in the second to make sure they got Greedy Williams.

This would have made the Jets better and McCagnan ignored this conventional thinking to take a DL.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Okay...let's take a deep breath now.  I absolutely love Darnold on this team and think he can definitely achieve top-5 status in a year or two.  But as long as Patrick Mahomes is standing upright and playing for Andy Reid, he's the guy.  Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson are having themselves incredible seasons right now, but what Mahomes has done the past year and half is beyond belief.  He is the best QB on the planet.  And this comes from a guy who was very skeptical of him leading up to the draft that year.  

But we had McCown, there was no need to draft a QB. ?.  I want to kick MAC in the balls and then poison his coffee. 

3 hours ago, Rob123 said:

I  believe the Jets are at  a critical point. The Jets gave up a great deal for Darnold.  He is a very talented QB but he needs a line and a legitimate number 1 receiver.  If he does not have that next year I think they might as well draft another quarterback.  There is more riding  on this draft because of this and the last thing the Jets need is a gm that wants to get cute.  Polite, Hackenberg, and even Wesco are examples of MacCagnon trying to show everyone how smart he was. 

I agree with your post in its entirety. I think JD is cut from a different cloth from the past awful GMs weve had, and knows the importance of building from the trenches out.

That being said, the real critical point, was the beginning of the 2019 offseason. Our clueless owner screwed it, by not firing Mac and letting him blow 100M on splash free agents, and blowing the draft by drafting literally anyone that WOULD NOT help in the development of Sam Darnold. (QW, Polite, Wesco). Instead we waste a year off Darnolds rookie contract, not in aiding his development, but instead trying not to get him killed. I'm convinced if JD was at the helm we would have traded back and/or atleast began to revamp the line. We would be in a completely different spot and Darnold and this team would be in a much better place developmentally. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I can think of only one “executive” who could f*ck this up, but he actually no longer works in the league.  His initials are MM.

2 hours ago, Ohhthepain said:

I agree with your post in its entirety. I think JD is cut from a different cloth from the past awful GMs weve had, and knows the importance of building from the trenches out.

That being said, the real critical point, was the beginning of the 2019 offseason. Our clueless owner screwed it, by not firing Mac and letting him blow 100M on splash free agents, and blowing the draft by drafting literally anyone that WOULD NOT help in the development of Sam Darnold. (QW, Polite, Wesco). Instead we waste a year off Darnolds rookie contract, not in aiding his development, but instead trying not to get him killed. I'm convinced if JD was at the helm we would have traded back and/or atleast began to revamp the line. We would be in a completely different spot and Darnold and this team would be in a much better place developmentally. 

You hit the nail on the head with that one.  It is really as if he said "we are only drafting guys who will not help Darnold, we will sign an undrafted wide out".

I think every other human alive would have traded back.  Especially when one  looks at the players available in the late first and second round.  The path to take was to trade back and pick up the second rounder you traded for Darnold and then take the best OL available.

Lets not forget one thing- Mac didn't even  want Darnold- he wanted to guarantee 25 million per year to Kirk Cousins.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, peebag said:

well, look what BPA has done for the Jets as of recently.  a safety and bunch of mediocre d-linemen

Before Adams, they had no safety - that was a needed pick. 

I'm fine with any player they draft 'cause they are on the MY team.  The negativity on these boards is just trolling - moaning about nothing because  if the Jets didn't have all those injuries, complaining would be little...... we'll I take that back  -- there's all ways someone looking at the dark side- I've never seen  such a gloom and doom fan base....

. Q. Williams has played hurt and is probably a year away from making an impact but he's still has promise.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

To me, the idea should be to draft the player that imrpoves your team the most.  This is not always the best player.  Last year, IMO, Josh Allen would have imrpoved the roster most, and he was the guy I wanted to see us pick. 

Alas, Macc never asked my opinion and now we have QW instead.

That's problem with Jets fans - they assume that a player doesn't make an impact right away , it's a total bust.  When a player is drafted I stick by them, thick and thin and give them a chance. QW has had a tough time but that high ankle sprain is not a fast healing injury, but he's still very young - DL is a tough position - He'll be on this team for at least another 2 years -  anti QW's  better get used to it and stop harping on something that is not going to change.

10 hours ago, Bomberjet said:

That's problem with Jets fans - they assume that a player doesn't make an impact right away , it's a total bust.  When a player is drafted I stick by them, thick and thin and give them a chance. QW has had a tough time but that high ankle sprain is not a fast healing injury, but he's still very young - DL is a tough position - He'll be on this team for at least another 2 years -  anti QW's  better get used to it and stop harping on something that is not going to change.

2 years, that sucks for a number 3 pick...we so needed  j Allen , that or trade down.....McCagnan should be waterboarded  with his Starbucks coffee...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bomberjet said:

Never said Quinnen is a bust.  All I have ever said about Quinnen is that he is having a disappointing first season and I would have preferred Josh Allen.  I think the need at Edge was signfiicant enough that I would have preferred him at 3.  I stand by those comments.  But Quinnen is our guy, I hope he turns into a stud.

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Never said Quinnen is a bust.  All I have ever said about Quinnen is that he is having a disappointing first season and I would have preferred Josh Allen.  I think the need at Edge was signfiicant enough that I would have preferred him at 3.  I stand by those comments.  But Quinnen is our guy, I hope he turns into a stud.

Agree ab J Allen, QW at best will be a helluva run stuffa... ugh

5 hours ago, LSJF said:

2 years, that sucks for a number 3 pick...we so needed  j Allen , that or trade down.....McCagnan should be waterboarded  with his Starbucks coffee...

yes it does suck - I don't know why I mentioned 2 years -  but knowing the Jets past record, anyone is expendable.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Rob123 said:

Bowles was such a genius he could actually take him and make  him into some defensive force the likes which nobody has  ever seen before.

Rex and Idzik actually drafted Prior and he didn't last until the Bowles era. But it was a stupid pick much like many of them. It is beginning to look like the last two Mac drafts were not bad. I think Douglas knows his personnel and will select much better that the last several GM's we have had. He comes from a very analytical background so he won't be reaching.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

Rex and Idzik actually drafted Prior and he didn't last until the Bowles era. But it was a stupid pick much like many of them. It is beginning to look like the last two Mac drafts were not bad. I think Douglas knows his personnel and will select much better that the last several GM's we have had. He comes from a very analytical background so he won't be reaching.

I am sorry about that, I got it confused.  The Doug Jolley trade around those years has made me try and forget those drafts.

What I want is a GM who won't reach.  Especially now with Darnold.  My perspective is this- aside from Mahomes, who might be starting to become injury prone, there is no other young quarterback in the NFL I would rather have, including anyone available in the upcoming draft.  Build a solid line around him without reaching or getting cute.

The first Douglas draft will be fascinating -- I hope we can all agree that even if it's not the first pick we should see at least a couple of OL brought on in the draft. I'd prefer doubling up with high picks, 2 out of 4 in the first three rounds, and maybe a developmental guy in the late rounds. 

Also, it would send a nice message to the fanbase to not draft an interior DL given the current depth and our ability to find UDFA gems like Phillips. Draft should consist of entirely DE/OLB, CB, and offensive pieces.  

3 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

The first Douglas draft will be fascinating -- I hope we can all agree that even if it's not the first pick we should see at least a couple of OL brought on in the draft. I'd prefer doubling up with high picks, 2 out of 4 in the first three rounds, and maybe a developmental guy in the late rounds. 

Also, it would send a nice message to the fanbase to not draft an interior DL given the current depth and our ability to find UDFA gems like Phillips. Draft should consist of entirely DE/OLB, CB, and offensive pieces.  

You are right  about not taking an interior lineman sending a nice message.  It would be even nicer if they included not taking any tight ends.

The message it will send is the Jets are not behind the curve and that means there is reason to hope.  The many articles I read pointed out how easy it is to find interior linemen and the most advanced teams are not valuing the position because that type of talent is easier to find.

The injury history bothers me but Bless Austin might be an answer at corner.  If he can stay healthy there is no reason he can't be a starting cornerback in the NFL.  I think he might be that diamond Maccagnan was always looking for to show how smart he was.

They have a pick in the first, second and two in the third- I want then to go Guard, Center, then WR and another lineman with the premium picks.  I think predictions like this will be moot though.  If the Jets  don't win another game and have a high first rounder they will trade down.   If the Jets win between 5 and 7 games they might not have that desirable pick and will then look to trade a player to recoup picks.

• Upvote 1

On 11/21/2019 at 4:53 PM, Warfish said:

Why is that not your preference?

Really? :blink:

So it's not the Jets bad drafting......it's fan's bad attitude about our drafting that is the real problem?

:-k

1. Donnell Pumphery.  I prefer athleticism.

2. The as most meant as most posters. not as most teams.  i also meant over forever.  Obviously Idzik and Maccagnan have sucked.  I was saying that before most.

3. The problem is never the fans.  What i mean is the perception changes too fast.  I mean the fans decide the dragt sucks before xamp is over.  That creates the perception.  The rest is decided on wins and losses 

• Upvote 1

On 11/21/2019 at 10:47 PM, Bomberjet said:

Yes and no. We can gripe all we want about poorly thought out personnel decisions while hoping the picked player is good.