Interesting Observation On Darnold... I think

THE BARON

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think Darnold is a slow processor, but I think he rattles easily, which is kinda worse. 

i think he's clutch.  i think he plays hurt.  i think he's a gamer.  but you're also talking about a 22 yr old kid who has been told not to take hits on his spleen while playing tackle football and i think it has an effect on his decision making while scrambling.

20 hours ago, phill1c said:

Darnold is just fine, for a guy in his second year playing for a new coach and shi1ty OL. 

That said, his decision making is poor...and slow.

But anyone in his situation would be where he is. Because, yeah, it's easy until they scheme against you. Then, it's not so easy. 

I'm hopeful for Darnold to become the franchise qb the Jets paid for. And he seems headed in that general direction. He needs to start seeing things faster and better than he does now. But that should happen because he definitely has the arm talent.

There are at least 3 or 4 things that should help Darnold be a better QB next year....

1. Improved Offensive Line (it's gotten a little better as the year has gone on but an infusion of at least 3 new starters would really help)

2. Better weapons around him - Drafting a WR, signing one in FA, getting Herndon back, etc. should all help.

3. Second year in the same offensive system.  Darnold has never had more than one season in an offense.

4. Natural progression from Year 2 to Year 3 as a starter.  Year 1 to Year 2 has been generally positive given the circumstances....

Completion % UP, Yards per Game UP, Yards Per Attempt UP, TD Rate UP, INT Rate DOWN, etc.

ELWDedoXkAEHytO.png.4c5391e0f7defb5bc18c583c3b950133.png

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2019 at 9:35 AM, bitonti said:

Other teams blitz Darnold because he doesn't beat the blitz

and when he knows he s going to get hit he goes back foot. 

Look at General Fitz patrick step up into the fire yesteday. he knew he'd take a shot and ate it. Sam is like scared to get hit (*and don't tell me Miami has a better line, cause they don't) 

to be fair 14 actually showed some progress yesterday 

they were blitzing double CB and he didn't see it until the 2nd half 

eventually they paid for it 

but make no mistake, this game was a 19-18 loss if not for a gift PI from NY league office at the end 

the best thing about Sam Darnold is the league wants to market him desperately 

he farts in the right direction and makes player of the week 

we could say the same about Sanchez 

“General” Fitzpatrick didn’t get the ball in the endzone. Darnold did. Twice. That was the difference in the game. 

I’d take Darnold’s game on Sunday over Fitz’s game 100 out of 100 times. 

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

“General” Fitzpatrick didn’t get the ball in the endzone. Darnold did. Twice. That was the difference in the game. 

I’d take Darnold’s game on Sunday over Fitz’s game 100 out of 100 times. 

after Parker and Wilson went down, Fitz did more with less 

Just now, bitonti said:

after Parker and Wilson went down, Fitz did more with less 

Ok, maybe.

He still didn’t put the ball in the endzone. 

For as much fellatio as he got from Feely during the broadcast, you would have thought he threw a few TD passes or was maybe Dan Fouts in disguise. 

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

There are at least 3 or 4 things that should help Darnold be a better QB next year....

1. Improved Offensive Line (it's gotten a little better as the year has gone on but an infusion of at least 3 new starters would really help)

2. Better weapons around him - Drafting a WR, signing one in FA, getting Herndon back, etc. should all help.

3. Second year in the same offensive system.  Darnold has never had more than one season in an offense.

4. Natural progression from Year 2 to Year 3 as a starter.  Year 1 to Year 2 has been generally positive given the circumstances....

Completion % UP, Yards per Game UP, Yards Per Attempt UP, TD Rate UP, INT Rate DOWN, etc.

image.thumb.png.dd23ca3e6c45523f2a2a7254275718cd.png

less cropped

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

great post!! love the linked table.

Yeah, I agree, but I think the Jets need

one to two new starters (depending on Beachum's free agency). Watching Jets post game, they were like "Gase doesn't want Bell" and that's part of why his ypc is low and his carries per game down. Powell has looked decent, but that could be because they are playing way better than before.

The Jets OL has no mashers and is weak at LG and RG. I mean none of them are excellent players. I think you add an excellent player to the mix it changes everything. And I also think the Jets need only one more potent receiving weapon. Guys are getting open now, Darnold's not hitting all the of open ones. And too frequently throwing into coverage. He just has an excellent arm to get away with it.

I like Darnold's chances. He's got supreme arm talent and I think he'll start making more plays with his legs. And, yeah, an offseason with Vincent Smith and all the other guys in the same system should be great. And, I have to admit, he's avoided the killer mistake for a while now. I know he threw an INT but INTs happen. I've never been so upset by risk taking. Just don't like stupid mistakes, which Darnold was making earlier. But I think Darnold's smart enough to learn from experience and, I think, ultimately, he's a winner.