Miami Pursuing OL Heavy

SR24

15 hours ago, SR24 said:

Additionally, he continues to report that quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is their preferred target with their first pick in the first round.

This is literally just guessing with decent context to come up with the guess. We all know they need a QB, we all know Burrow is going #1, we all know Tua is most likely the 2nd QB off the board and we all know Miami picks #4 overall. 

Way to basically say nothing.

on top of that, whenever you’re looking to draft a QB, usually, well, if you’re not Mike Maccagnan, you put emphasis on OL. 

Yeah this is Albright just talking to y’all. Sometimes he says something legitimately interesting and may even be right on a scoop or two but meh..

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Not getting the reference

At first I thought you were saying I didn't get your reference Mr. Musk.  It may have been before your time.  Did you know ecurb?  Insanely prolific.  I think he was the Garv at the other place.  He had a toy shop in Connecticut and had model rockets that he would launch.  I don't remember it much beyond @BP always going on about it. 

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/34332-this-god-damned-weather-can-kiss-my-ass/?tab=comments#comment-491667

• Haha 1

Good news is apparently this is a deep draft for o-linemen; tho we'll see in a few years.

I hope Jets trade down multiple times ... other than OT you can generally build a good o-line rounds 2-5. Assuming you know how to draft.

And the Jets must upgrade their offense overall. With KC's potent quick-strike offense, any contender to their AFC throne must be able to light up the scoreboard. Give me an offense averaging 27 points to start with, from there fill in at pass rush and beyond best you can. Hopefully Chris Herndon rebounds well and becomes a real weapon next year.

34 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

At first I thought you were saying I didn't get your reference Mr. Musk.  It may have been before your time.  Did you know ecurb?  Insanely prolific.  I think he was the Garv at the other place He had a toy shop in Connecticut and had model rockets that he would launch.  I don't remember it much beyond @BP always going on about it. 

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/34332-this-god-damned-weather-can-kiss-my-ass/?tab=comments#comment-491667

Yeah, I wasn't sure how ECURB was involved in all of this.

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Not sure if you were being facetious or serious but yes, THIS ^. Its not going to be sexy and a lot of Jet fans will look at this and think this is a lot of the same old but the Jets need to bring back Beachum (as a bridge) and Lewis (as competition and depth). If Shell agrees to a 5mil deal OR LESS, maybe bring him back for depth but I have seen enough where I would just as well let him walk (I think he will want more anyway). Then you go after two starting caliber vets in FA who you see as part of the team longer term for stability b/c lets face it, the Jets desperately need it. I would imagine it makes sense to go after two Guards but it may be a Guard and someone like Peat who has played OT and OG. It doesn't have to be day one FAs. But capable starters who aren't ancient is what we need. If we are going to overpay we better get the one of the best players on the market but I'd rather steer clear of that. However, I think the notion that just b/c a team let a big money O-lineman hit Free Agency means he is damaged goods or bound to have his worst season is a bit silly. 

I'm not being even close to serious. I thought the rocket surgery line gave it away.

The joke wasn't in bringing back any one of them; but rather in bringing back all 3 of them - who makes an effort to re-sign 3/5 of the league's worst OL - plus the unrealistic contract numbers I used, which I expect will be way off for each of these guys.

We'll see the exact numbers in a month & a half (unless any get extended before then), but ballpark I'm thinking each will be ~50% more than the numbers I used, and maybe even more. 

1. Popularity of the move aside, the most likely to return IMO is Beachum, yes even at around $12MM, with a year guaranteed. That also depends on who's still available on the eve of free agency starting.
  2. Second most likely is Lewis, just because Douglas gets to re-up a guy he brought in, but it really depends on the bucks. If he is retained, it'd be a swap not an addition: they'll keep Lewis or Winters, but not both. The advantage to keeping Winters instead is he can be cut after the draft or over the summer with no cap penalty, should a rookie show more worthy of starting over him already. If they re-sign Lewis they're locked into him for the year, and probably don't save much (if anything at all) over the scheduled $7MM for Winters.
  3. Shell is IMO just a long shot to return, and just as much of a long shot to sign anywhere for $5MM (let alone less) which is the silly/unrealistic number I intended it to be. Gase benched him from starting at two separate times, while healthy, and those benchings coincidentally coincided with the offense scoring points for a change (though it's not that simple; Edoga was no breath of fresh air himself).

The numbers I used were realistic if you're talking back in 2015-2016 with a ~$150MM cap. Not in 2020 with a $200MM cap and a new CBA on the way that'll continue to bump it up even more, and probably at a higher rate (though that's a separate discussion). Most teams have over $40MM in space before they cut a single player to make even more room.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Half the board wants to trade Darnold?

Hah.

i would say Darnold was our most valuable player last season (compare the offensive production with and without him) but not the best overall. 

There’s a reason Adams was 1st team all-pro this year. 

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If Miami decides they’re not drafting a QB this year they can have a draft that looks something like this. Talk about an instant rebuild! Then next year the can go after either Lawerence or Fields. 

289C3BEE-4526-4599-8F5A-FCEA8130878F.png

The problem is that they can’t count on picking at the top of the draft again, so they can’t count on getting Lawrence or Fields. 

IMO, they need a good young QB to get anywhere anyway, so they should probably use the number 5 overall pick to make that happen.

You have to strike while the iron is hot  

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

They were tanking for Tua

i guess.  they got a first this year, a first and second next year and gave up tunsil and stills a fourth rounder this year and a 6th rounder in 2021.  they also received a couple of jags.  this was tunsil's 3rd season so they would've only been able to lock him for 2 more.  makes some sense although he was playing pretty well at lt.