Miami Pursuing OL Heavy

SR24

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/latest-nfl-news-and-rumors-from-mobile-at-the-2020-senior-bowl/

Miami Dolphins expected to target the offensive line in free agency and draft

PFN Insider Ben Allbright is reporting that the Miami Dolphins are expected to place a heavy emphasis on the offensive line in both free agency and the NFL Draft. Targets are not known at this time because according to sources, the Dolphins have not begun that part of the process yet. Additionally, he continues to report that quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is their preferred target with their first pick in the first round.

This is a big offseason for the AFC East

14 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

They deserve it. Nothing happens without them. Even the best of QB's become mortal when there is consistent pressure. Even the top tier running QBs can only do it for so long. The linemen are the gatekeepers. 

I can't wait to see what Sam looks like when we have 5 snarling beefcakes in front of him. We already had the delight of seeing him with 5 care bears up there. Now it's time to see blood! 

Lol!!

Snarling Beefcakes

Great name for a punk band

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Not the Dolphins are a successful franchise but reading stories like this just reminds me how a** backwards Mac's strategy of building a roster had been.  He invested all our assets in ILB, run stuffing D-Lineman and Safeties and never did anything to try and build the O-Line, Cornerback position or edge rusher.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Miami is sitting on $91 million in cap space and has 3 first round picks this year.  Two first rounders next year.  If executed properly they could set themselves up well for the next 5 to 7 years.  

So what is the Jets’ advantage over them here?  We have a head start with Darnold and Jamal?  That is basically it.  Fewer, lower draft picks and less money.  Douglas will have to out draft them to beat them. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Not the Dolphins are a successful franchise but reading stories like this just reminds me how a** backwards Mac's strategy of building a roster had been.  He invested all our assets in ILB, run stuffing D-Lineman and Safeties and never did anything to try and build the O-Line, Cornerback position or edge rusher.  

agree, he basically killed the "best player available" regardless of need draft strategy - although it might not apply since he could not  actually identify the best players... 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

So what is the Jets’ advantage over them here?  We have a head start with Darnold and Jamal?  That is basically it.  Fewer, lower draft picks and less money.  Douglas will have to out draft them to beat them. 

If you go down the rosters, the Jets have a slight advantage right now, not much however.   But with all of the resources they have, will certainly flip that roster upside down after free agency and the draft.  I think they try to move up a spot or two and grab Herbert, they have the ammo to do so.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

We're in January, anyone reporting on a team's preferred pick knows pretty much nothing. 

Their Oline was also pretty bad. 

Olineman are going to start breaking the bank over the next years. It seems like there's a shortage of really good Olinemen

Right?

Their OL sucked.  So really going out on a limb predicting they'll go after OL help.

I wonder if he the author thinks the Jets might be in the market also? 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

5 drafts, 2 safeties, 1 in the 1st isn't an over investment 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

And here I thought we were going to be the only ones in the market and get all the top linemen at discount prices.

We still need to draft guys but obviously it'll take more than 1 season to create a line of guys 5-across on their rookie deals.

But fear not. Douglas will take care of it with ease:

1. We'll be able to re-sign 30 yr old Beachum at $8MM, 26 yr old Alex Lewis at $3MM, and 28 yr old Shell at $5MM. Duh.
  2. Then after we draft their replacements starting 1 month later, we can just cut them right away since none of them will get any guaranteed/bonus money. Or since they make so little we can just hang onto them as depth or trade them for even more draft picks! 

It's not rocket surgery, pee-pull. 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Miami is sitting on $91 million in cap space and has 3 first round picks this year.  Two first rounders next year.  If executed properly they could set themselves up well for the next 5 to 7 years.  

still got to fill that qb position first.

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We still need to draft guys but obviously it'll take more than 1 season to create a line of guys 5-across on their rookie deals.

1. We'll be able to re-sign 30 yr old Beachum at $8MM, 26 yr old Alex Lewis at $3MM, and 28 yr old Shell at $5MM. Duh.
  2. Then after we draft their replacements starting 1 month later, we can just cut them right away since none of them will get any guaranteed/bonus money. Or since they make so little we can just hang onto them as depth or trade them for even more draft picks! 

I does good at rockets.

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

And here I thought we were going to be the only ones in the market and get all the top linemen at discount prices.

All the Jets need to do is to bring back a couple of their own (Beachum, Lewis, Qvale for depth and to start at LT as a placeholder), bring in at least one stud guard and one capable starter at the OG position. The rest should be taken care of trough the draft, giving Harrison a shot a C next year and by continuing to develop Edoga. I don't care how desperate the Dolphins are for O-line and how much money they have, the Jets can do this. BTW the Dolphins also have a ton of other holes, way more than the Jets. Including the aforementioned QB position. Hopefully they will be taking Tua and we will be taking one of the top OTs in the draft.    

52 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not sure if you were being facetious or serious but yes, THIS ^. Its not going to be sexy and a lot of Jet fans will look at this and think this is a lot of the same old but the Jets need to bring back Beachum (as a bridge) and Lewis (as competition and depth). If Shell agrees to a 5mil deal OR LESS, maybe bring him back for depth but I have seen enough where I would just as well let him walk (I think he will want more anyway). Then you go after two starting caliber vets in FA who you see as part of the team longer term for stability b/c lets face it, the Jets desperately need it. I would imagine it makes sense to go after two Guards but it may be a Guard and someone like Peat who has played OT and OG. It doesn't have to be day one FAs. But capable starters who aren't ancient is what we need. If we are going to overpay we better get the one of the best players on the market but I'd rather steer clear of that. However, I think the notion that just b/c a team let a big money O-lineman hit Free Agency means he is damaged goods or bound to have his worst season is a bit silly. 

As far as the draft, OT has to be addressed in at least the first two rounds. Interior O-line has to be addressed in at least the first 3 rounds (with our first 4 picks). We need to start bringing in top young talent to compete for starting spots and start to rebuild this line while we patch it so Darnold can continue to develop. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Miami focusing on Tua is a mistake. The guy is a question mark unless he shows up at the combine and they see he is going to be fine. 

The thing is, if he makes it to the combine (he probably will), it won;t mean much b/c the big question mark is what will happen when he starts taking hits.   

If reports on Herbert shining at the Senior Bowl pan out, and he continues to impress at his workouts and the combine, he could be a contender for that #5 spot.  I don't want to see MIA get a really good QB, but better that than they snipe a top OT prospect there.  

1 hour ago, slats said:

I wonder what they're going to do with Rosen. Poor guy became a dinosaur the moment he was drafted. 

I still think he can play. He's been put in two horrible situations. I know Miami's GM has every reason to talk Rosen up (below), but 4 different OC's and 4 schemes in two years behind bad O lines. The kid was destined to fail. San Diego should give the Fins a call to see if they can get Rosen for a 4th round pick. 

Josh has made huge strides Brian has talked about. It’s been fun watching him grow throughout the year. I know no one got to see it, but he did a tremendous job growing. And people always forget like I’ve said before, you’ve got four different offensive coordinators and schemes, and that’s hard for a young kid with no stability. So, we’re proud of him.”

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Miami focusing on Tua is a mistake. The guy is a question mark unless he shows up at the combine and they see he is going to be fine. 

Here's the dilemma. The last time Miami didn't get a QB because there were injury question marks, they decided not to sign Drew Brees. How'd that work out?

The time before that that the Fins decided to pick a QB who had questions concerning his drug use and behavior, they took Dan Marino. How'd that work out?

Unless Tua is in a wheelchair on draft day, the Fins are taking him.

• Upvote 1

The Fins have three first rounders, so they have the "luxury" of rolling the dice with one of those.  So, yeah, why not Tua?  Then draft two OL, or one OL and one WR, with the other picks to build around him?  

I wish the Jets had more picks in rounds 1-3.  Loads of interesting OL and WR this year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I agree Tua is a huge risk. But if there's 1 team that can afford to gamble, it's Miami. Five 1st round picks over the next 2 years gives them that right.

• Upvote 1

The only proper way is to build through the Draft.  The Jets have been really bad at that over the past 5 years.  Having to use Free Agency for premium positions like OT, CB, Edge, etc. is the penalty for bad drafting.

If I'm Joe Douglas and I just signed a 6 year contract then I'm not focused on fixing all the Jets problems for 2020.  I probably have a 2-3 year plan that might even include trading down in Round 1 to get more picks.  The Jets need something like 5 or 6 picks in Rounds 2-3, rather than a 1st, 2nd, and their two 3rds.  We need a larger quantity of above average players, not just one or two great ones and a few lottery ticket type guys.

14 hours ago, SR24 said:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/latest-nfl-news-and-rumors-from-mobile-at-the-2020-senior-bowl/

Miami Dolphins expected to target the offensive line in free agency and draft

PFN Insider Ben Allbright is reporting that the Miami Dolphins are expected to place a heavy emphasis on the offensive line in both free agency and the NFL Draft. Targets are not known at this time because according to sources, the Dolphins have not begun that part of the process yet. Additionally, he continues to report that quarterback Tua Tagovailoa is their preferred target with their first pick in the first round.

This is a big offseason for the AFC East

I don't think Tua makes it past 3 in the draft...